Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Before this issue, I last fiddled with hakchi... in 2017, Jesus. Well, the amount of games was indeed the issue (more than 63 on the home screen, apparently). Had a little trouble getting a more recent hakchi version to see my NES, ended up trying version 3.3.0, and that one worked for me. I copied the/games/ folder from my older hakchi installation and it recognized those, made a folder to divide the games. Thanks ThatWhiteGuy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm also fiddling with my SNES mini for the first time in about two years, so it's been a bit of an effort getting it to work on the latest hakchi but I think I'm pretty well set now.

My current issue is trying to get Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths to work properly. Canoe doesn't work so I'm trying some of the Retroarch cores. Most are flaming garbage for this game, with the exception of Mednafan which is MOSTLY fine... but there's an annoying line in the center of the screen at all times. I wasn't sure if this is something that's come up for other people or if there's a display setting in Retroarch that can take care of it.

Edit: think I fixed it by reinstalling Retroarch with a different core. Snes9x 2018 seems to work for it now without any graphics issue while Mednafan has crapped out

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 29, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ballz posted:

I'm also fiddling with my SNES mini for the first time in about two years, so it's been a bit of an effort getting it to work on the latest hakchi but I think I'm pretty well set now.

My current issue is trying to get Final Fantasy VI: Divergent Paths to work properly. Canoe doesn't work so I'm trying some of the Retroarch cores. Most are flaming garbage for this game, with the exception of Mednafan which is MOSTLY fine... but there's an annoying line in the center of the screen at all times. I wasn't sure if this is something that's come up for other people or if there's a display setting in Retroarch that can take care of it.

Edit: think I fixed it by reinstalling Retroarch with a different core. Snes9x 2018 seems to work for it now without any graphics issue while Mednafan has crapped out

Let us know if the hack is any good!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ballz posted:

How'd you get this to play ball? I'm using 2018 and the opening cutscene has some serious audio stuttering.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

Echophonic posted:

How'd you get this to play ball? I'm using 2018 and the opening cutscene has some serious audio stuttering.

2010 core is working fine for me

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Echophonic posted:

Is the Retroarch you're using Xtreme RGUI? That was what I had originally and was experiencing the same audio glitches you're describing. I uninstalled it and reinstalled using Xtreme Ozone instead and that seems to have fixed it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ballz posted:

Is the Retroarch you're using Xtreme RGUI? That was what I had originally and was experiencing the same audio glitches you're describing. I uninstalled it and reinstalled using Xtreme Ozone instead and that seems to have fixed it.

Weird, I just reinstalled those and am having the same issue. I'll try 2010, I guess. Might just be the scene where it pans over Narshe, both seem to have an issue there, must be the layering.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 3, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’ve actually been experimenting a bit as I was still having some audio problems using SNES9x 2018… mostly in villages where there was a lot of movement on the screen at once was causing the music to stutter.

Currently I’ve settled on Snes9x 2010 and that seems to have the most stable music. There’s some graphic glitching for some menu screens, most notably for shops, but it’s not nearly as annoying as the music problems were.

As for the hack itself I’m still pretty early in it, currently at Mt. Kolts. Biggest change I’ve seen is Edgar’s tools can now break so you’ll have buy them as needed. There’s also two new moogle relics, one that prevents random attacks and one that doubles random attacks. Equip them both at the same time to halve the normal encounter rate.

Oh and you run by default. That’s helpful for some games like EarthBound but honestly I usually like walking more in FF6.

Translation seems untouched, for better or worse. I spotted a typo but I can’t remember if it’s in the original game or not.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I see that game gear micros have really gone down in price on eBay lately, you can get one for less than the original msrp, with free shipping

Anybody still like thiers? Regrets?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t have one but they are super small. Even smaller than a Game Boy Micro. They are well made for what they are.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
i decided i’m stupid and feel like wasting money so- is it still possible to get a genesis mini new anywhere? or am i stuck looking on ebay/locally? by the time i find one i’ll probably change my mind

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

helsabot posted:

i decided i’m stupid and feel like wasting money so- is it still possible to get a genesis mini new anywhere? or am i stuck looking on ebay/locally? by the time i find one i’ll probably change my mind

I've seen them at Target pretty recently

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

helsabot posted:

I'd suggest burning a little extra money and getting one of the Retro-Bit 6-button controllers to go with it if you do. Having the menu button on the controller's insanely useful, and the drat things should've frankly been bundled with the console as standard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Has the Genesis Mini been hacked to the point of ease that the SNES and Nintendo minis have?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd suggest burning a little extra money and getting one of the Retro-Bit 6-button controllers to go with it if you do. Having the menu button on the controller's insanely useful, and the drat things should've frankly been bundled with the console as standard.

I'm going to have to go against this recommendation, as my Retro-Bit 6-button lasted less than a year and I've heard of others having similar problems. They feel great when they work, similar to the original Sega 6-button, but there's a high chance of having a defective button or D-pad, either right out of the box or a few months later. Go for something with better quality control.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Medullah posted:

Has the Genesis Mini been hacked to the point of ease that the SNES and Nintendo minis have?

I found the desktop utility to be slightly less user friendly, but not by much. The actual process is just as easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Earthbound, when you get Poo into your party, if you just go directly to Scaraba is that okay? Are you just missing some side content in and around Summers?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I said come in! posted:

In Earthbound, when you get Poo into your party, if you just go directly to Scaraba is that okay? Are you just missing some side content in and around Summers?

It’s fine. Just some new npc dialogue I believe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s fine. Just some new npc dialogue I believe.

I put Earthbound aside for awhile and am just returning to it and forgot that I can just teleport back there anyways. :P I missed something with the museum so I can't continue anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Earthbound!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I said come in! posted:

Finished Earthbound!

Congrats. I’ve finished it at many many times over the years and it still feels so satisfying each time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I play through it once every 2-3 years and, I know it sounds corny, I feel like I find some new meaning in it each time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Next cab off the rank, from the TheC64 dudes, is the, uh, TheA500 Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUgEOpr4Qs

It comes with an Amiga-style mouse, a gamepad, and support for USB keyboards. It emulates an Amiga 500 and an Amiga 1200, and comes with 25 games and the ability to sideload your own (including WHDLoad setups) via USB stick. It's due in shops early next year for well beyond impulse buy price (£119.99/€129.99/$139.99), though how long it'll stay in them with how famously fucky the Amiga's rights are will be interesting to watch.

Here's the half of the included games they've announced: Alien Breed 3D, Another World, ATR: All Terrain Racing, Battle Chess, Cadaver, Kick Off 2, Pinball Dreams, Simon The Sorcerer, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, The Chaos Engine, Worms: The Director's Cut, Zool. If those mean anything to you, you probably already have real hardware or a real good emulator setup!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Looks like the mini C64 US version is on Amazon finally but I can't tell if it's legit or not.
This Amiga one looks good too but I imagine it's going to be mostly only in Europe like the C64 one.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oo that A500 mini looks pretty swell. My current Raspy 3 Amiberry is a bit fucky so having someone just do the emulation properly would be awesome, the mouse peripheral would be just icing on the cake. Is there any mention of external keyboard support? I have an extra A500 case+keyboard after the mobo passed away, I wonder how hard it would be to mount the thing inside it with a DIY Arduino keyboard controller.

e: Of course there's USB keyboard support. Man, this looks like fun!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Finished Earthbound!

Now play the other 2 Mother games

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The original has pretty excessive grinding and you may end up wanting to use a hack with it.

Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition, overhauls everything https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2211/
Mother 25th Restoration Hack, the above hack but without the redrawn graphics https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5193/
EarthBound Zero Easy Patch, just doubles XP and money https://starmen.net/mother1/easypatch/

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Picked up a PS Classic on the cheap as I have heard from a few people that it's decent if modded (and replacing the PAL ROMs with their NTSC equivalents) - is there a preferred guide for how to set it up and e.g., if I wanted extra games run from an external drive which one I should get? I've heard not all are compatible.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone get the Spectrum ZX Next? It looked pretty slick but very expensive.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I haven't touched my SNES Classic in a while but I picked it back up and wanted to add a few more things and now my computer won't seem to recognize it. I have a Mac but I was able to install Hakchi on it just fine through a virtual machine, so I wanted to use that same method to get back in there. Now however it seems like my computer just straight up doesn't want to recognize it. I thought at first it was an issue with the SNES because I had already hacked it and I had to go through the VM setup process again since I had to install a new version of VirtualBox, but just to test I plugged my unmodified NES Classic and it also went completely unrecognized. I plugged them both in with the cords they came with through a perfectly functional USB-A to USB-C adapter that I used for the install but something must have changed because it will turn on but won't appear in the Disc Utility no matter how long I leave it plugged in for or whether I turn it on holding the reset button or not. The only real solution I found while searching was buying a new cord, which I would do if I knew it would help but I don't really know if that would be the case.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The USB cord that came with the system should work, does anything else work with that USB port at all? I know the cable that comes with the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive mini doesn’t transfer data so that one doesn’t work, but I’ve never had any issues with the one that came with any of the Nintendo consoles.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol is there still really not a hack out for the TG16 Mini yet???? :psyduck:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good soup! posted:

lol is there still really not a hack out for the TG16 Mini yet???? :psyduck:

Too niche I guess. Probably will never be one now.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

DC Murderverse posted:

I haven't touched my SNES Classic in a while but I picked it back up and wanted to add a few more things and now my computer won't seem to recognize it. I have a Mac but I was able to install Hakchi on it just fine through a virtual machine, so I wanted to use that same method to get back in there. Now however it seems like my computer just straight up doesn't want to recognize it. I thought at first it was an issue with the SNES because I had already hacked it and I had to go through the VM setup process again since I had to install a new version of VirtualBox, but just to test I plugged my unmodified NES Classic and it also went completely unrecognized. I plugged them both in with the cords they came with through a perfectly functional USB-A to USB-C adapter that I used for the install but something must have changed because it will turn on but won't appear in the Disc Utility no matter how long I leave it plugged in for or whether I turn it on holding the reset button or not. The only real solution I found while searching was buying a new cord, which I would do if I knew it would help but I don't really know if that would be the case.

Are you running a vpn at all?

I had a similar issue, not with a mac though. I had to completely close the vpn program for it to work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did they ever make more than one printing of the TG16 Mini?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Custard Undies posted:

I had a similar issue, not with a mac though. I had to completely close the vpn program for it to work.

Yeah, I am, I’ll have to check that out. I hate that loving thing too, I only need it for work but I use it so infrequently that I might just try uninstalling it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I want to say no, at least I don't remember hearing them doing one. I got mine wayyyy after the release and couldn't find one at a decent price initially, but turns out they had a ton available through Amazon Japan :japan:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think they did one since I pre-ordered mine and then I bought another for someone when they suddenly came back in stock for about two minutes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Custard Undies posted:

This was *a* problem but not *the* problem. Virtual Box wasn't reading any devices and now it will read any devices plugged into my computer but neither of my Classics, modded or no, are being read by my computer. I've tested both devices, both of their cords and in both regular boot and holding reset and nothing seems to work. I have a USB-C to Micro-USB cord being delivered tomorrow to see if it's a cord/adapter problem but if it's not that then I have no idea.

edit: I tested really quickly on my sister's Windows and it also didn't appear on there so I'm hoping it's a cord thing.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

DC Murderverse posted:

This was *a* problem but not *the* problem. Virtual Box wasn't reading any devices and now it will read any devices plugged into my computer but neither of my Classics, modded or no, are being read by my computer. I've tested both devices, both of their cords and in both regular boot and holding reset and nothing seems to work. I have a USB-C to Micro-USB cord being delivered tomorrow to see if it's a cord/adapter problem but if it's not that then I have no idea.

edit: I tested really quickly on my sister's Windows and it also didn't appear on there so I'm hoping it's a cord thing.

Fingers crossed then its the cord. I hope you figure it out