Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EDIT Hakchi has been updated, versions 2.20 and later support uploading games to the SNES Classic as well as the NES Classic. Scroll to bottom of this post for details.

NES Classic is dead (but will rise again like a phoenix Summer 2018), all hail the SNES Classic, released September 29th 2017! (October 5th in Japan)

EDIT While they are still selling out they seem to be much more obtainable than the NES Classic was, with many stores having triple-digit quantities (with some flagship stores having as high as 500), and stores are expecting fairly frequent and generous restocks so Reggie might have been right that paying scalper premiums is a bad move.

There were early concerns that :quebec: wasn't getting them but this has been corrected.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It might be helpful to add to the OP that he snes Classic And vizio soundbars do not play well together. At least the vizio S3820w and S4251w-B4 exhibit this very annoying problem:

https://youtu.be/vSD5nfSPZBk

NA version

European version; although it will have the same games, it will look like the European unit (the Japanese-style console + controller color scheme with "Super Nintendo" branding)

According to Nintendo: "Please note: all games included in the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System are the original US 60 Hz releases." http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nin...em-1238330.html

Japanese version

Box is pretty much straight-up the Japanese Super Famicom box.

Note the list of games is slightly different (see below) and they will be the Japanese versions.

Cost: $79.99 USD or regional equivalent, all versions will include 2 controllers with the console itself.

Pre-order link:

European version (Japanese-style console, "rainbow" buttons on controllers, "Super Nintendo" branding)

Amazon UK (ships internationally despite saying otherwise, suggests about £85 to ship internationally in 1-2 weeks): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G84PFQ

List of games (both Western versions, note that the EU version will be running the 60 Hz US versions of all games)

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III (this is "Final Fantasy VI" via the Japanese release numbering, the one with Locke, Celes, Kefka)
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2 (Never before released)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (this is the "middle" SNES-released version of SF2, with the "bosses" like Balrog, M. Bison etc. as playable characters but without the all-new characters Fei Long, Cammy, T. Hawk etc.)
Super Castlevania 4
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island

The Japanese unit will NOT HAVE these games:

Earthbound/Mother 2
Kirby's Dream Course
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Punch-Out

It will have these games as substitutions for those 5 games instead:

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Street Fighter II
Super Soccer
Tetris Attack (under the name Panel de Pon)

Cord length is now 5 feet :toot:

Controllers will use the same "Classic Controller" connectors, with the ports hidden behind a front flap.

Below are details about the NES Classic / Famicom Mini, which you're unlikely to be able to obtain at a reasonable price point now as they've been discontinued:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGVilt3Rls

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15dTZlQLHLs

quote:

REDMOND, Wash., July 14, 2016 – If you see a Nintendo Entertainment System on store shelves this holiday shopping season, you haven’t entered a time machine. (Unless everyone around you is wearing acid-washed jeans and neon leg warmers. If that’s the case, you may have unknowingly walked through a rift in the space-time continuum.) The most likely scenario is you are setting eyes on the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, launching in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of $59.99 USD ($79.99 CAD). That’s right: The NES is back! But this isn’t the same NES that you fondly remember. This new nostalgia-fueled system is a near-identical, mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console and plugs directly into your high-definition TV using an included HDMI cable. The console comes complete with 30 NES games built in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, and Kirby’s Adventure.

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter [ed: North America only] and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller. But you really just want to know the full list of 30 games, right? Feast your eyes on the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system (games in bold aren't on the Japanese Famicom version):

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

There’s a little something for everyone: a nice mix of timeless favorites, cult classics and maybe even some games that you never got around to playing. Each is sure to bring back memories and produce plenty of new ones. You can even enjoy playing several of these games with two players by attaching a second NES Classic Controller, which will be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99 USD ($12.99 CAD). A Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also be used (each sold separately).

When connected to a Wii Remote controller, the NES Classic Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii system. Playing these retro games using a retro controller makes the experience that much more authentic. And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

What’s old is new again with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Relive past glories. Finish off that boss you never beat. Save the galaxy and rescue the princess!

*Please only call if you have indeed entered a time machine. The Game Counselor program no longer exists in 2016.

quote:

List of games for the Japanese Famicom version (games in bold aren't on the Western NES version)

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pac-Man
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Galaga
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda (FDS Version)
Atlantis no Nazo
Gradius
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Solomon's Key
Metroid
Castlevania
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Tsuppari Sumo
Super Mario Bros. 3
Ninja Gaiden
Mega Man 2
River City Ransom
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Super Contra
Final Fantasy III
Dr. Mario
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke daiundoukai
Mario Open Golf
Super Mario USA (the US version of Super Mario Bros. 2)
Kirby's Adventure

Some notes:

- There are no moving parts, that console front does not open at all.
- The console supports the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro, but requires that at least one controller used with the system is the NES-styled Classic Controller, like the one included with the console.
- For those of you in PAL territories, the games are all the 60 Hz versions (i.e. the NA and EU versions of the unit are identical)
- The Japanese "Famicom" version of the unit will have the Japanese versions of games; on top of certain games naturally being in Japanese, various titles will behave differently based on how they worked originally (e.g. Metroid has a 3-slot save system instead of passwords, and some sound effects are different as the game was originally on the Famicom Disk System, Zelda II similarly has different sound effects and a different leveling system from the US version)

Getting one

These things are discontinued and it's possible but unlikely stores may get one final batch or something. You will want to watch nowinstock.net like a hawk and pounce when a store gets some in stock randomly. eBay, of course, has them, but they've been hitting prices like $350 and that's with just one controller; for that money you can get a Raspberry Pi army.

Hacking one

Despite officially being for power only, Nintendo for some reason made the USB "power" port a full USB port with total access to the console's internal memory, which also happens to be fully rewriteable.

The tool to do this for either Classic is named hakchi, and works by holding the power button on the system while plugged into a Windows PC to put it into a sort of recovery mode state, allowing hakchi to install a driver to your PC so the console's memory is accessible and letting you upload a custom firmware and your own ROM's. On both consoles the vast majority of ROM's work with the system's own emulator, a few need alternate emulators (hakchi also provides this ability, even ROM's for systems the console isn't designed for!)

For some reason the USB port allows full access to the system's memory and it's rewriteable. Using the tool Hakchi2, you can upload new games to the unit (subject to mapper support, check the latest version for details). It's also possible to get RetroArch onto it to allow playback of other games, but at that point you're probably better off getting a Raspberry Pi and 3D-printed case.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm so getting one. It's missing a handful of the games I had as a kid, but this is gonna be great.

Gonna hook it up to the bedroom TV and stay up late playing super Mario bros likes I did as a kid!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Super C but no Contra? That seems kinda weird.

I like that it hooks up to an HDMI input though--I wonder what the aspect ratio will be.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I really wish they made those controllers wireless.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't really need this, but i'd be lying if I said I didn't at least want one of those controllers.

If they announced a mini SNES down the line, i'd be pretty hard pressed not to want both.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm going to buy one. I'm going to buy one for my sister who hasn't had a system since I left home with all the old ones. I'm going to buy one for my nephews.

This is a brilliant move and I can't wait for the inevitable SNES and N64 versions.

quote:

I like that it hooks up to an HDMI input though--I wonder what the aspect ratio will be.

Definitely 4:3, the only question is black borders or themed borders for the specific game you're playing (hopefully an option for either).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 14, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So there is no way to add more games, or do we need to let the mod scene handle that?

Cause I love the idea (needs to be a little cheaper) but I'm gonna need ALL the megaman games on that thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dang. No Castlevania III...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BexGu posted:

Cause I love the idea (needs to be a little cheaper).

It's 30 games for $60 man, and a cool little thing to play them on a modern TV if you don't have a Wii U or whatever. Even buying half of these on the Virtual Console would cost about $100.

I do wish there was a way to add games, but their options would be to include an ethernet port and develop a version of the VC for it, or have some convoluted link cable to some sort of PC store where the ROMs would be quickly hacked. I can see why they are just going with a quick cash grab.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Well I know what I'm getting all my siblings for Christmas this year! Also, this will be a great way to get my 2 year old hooked on non-mobile video games.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

That is a fantastic collection of games. Sure, ideally I'd swap out a few, but they put most of the essential ones in there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They picked the wrong Tecmo Bowl :smith:

At least they got most of the rest right, though :unsmith:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh hell yeah. I was just thinking about Legend of Zelda the other day.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

They picked the wrong Tecmo Bowl :smith:

At least they got most of the rest right, though :unsmith:

The NFL license probably made the choice for them, sadly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

This is a brilliant move and I can't wait for the inevitable SNES and N64 versions.

They already did for the N64.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

pyrotek posted:

The NFL license probably made the choice for them, sadly.

Yeah, I'm guessing if they'd used the NFL version the price of this would probably be $30 higher just to pay the NFL and NFLPA fees.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So the articles somehow dont specifically mention if it does or dosent it but this does actually play original cartridges right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's a great line up. It's about time Nintendo did this.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Basticle posted:

So the articles somehow dont specifically mention if it does or dosent it but this does actually play original cartridges right?

No it won't. It'll be physically too small to fit one.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Basticle posted:

Since it's a "Mini" version and they don't explicitly say it would, it's heavily implied that it does not play original cartridges. I would have thought that would be a big selling point for them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The one thing not addressed is that I hope there's virtual manuals included for the games, because NES manuals were awesome.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

WaitsUp posted:

No it won't. It'll be physically too small to fit one.

Yeah. To my knowledge it is pretty much just a 30-in-1 thing. It also looks like it is based off of the Wii U VC architecture judging by the savestate functionality. Also the NES replica controllers are actually Wii Classic Controllers so they can just plug into a Wii remote and be used on a Wii/Wii U for any VC games there too. Really though, 30 NES VC games and a replica NES controller for $60 sounds fantastic to me. Also for some reason the original Final Fantasy being on there is crazy to me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Yeah kind of loses its appeal if it cant play original carts. I never had a NES growing up but I played it a ton at other peoples houses.

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
Am I the only one that thinks $59.99 is a lot?

I think I got my NES and a shoe box full of games at a garage sale for that much.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How do "suspend points" work for VC, anyway? Is it a save state like an emulator, or is it a checkpoint system? And if the latter, can multiple people have a saved game going on a VC game?

Because I don't want to share my Final Fantasy save :colbert:

quote:

I think I got my NES and a shoe box full of games at a garage sale for that much.

It's not a lot at all. Old stuff has a tendency to be buggy (sometimes not working at all) and for most newer TVs a weird adapter is required. The games cost $5 apiece on the virtual console, so buying digital versions of them all would be $150.

The fact you're getting something new is why it's a big deal. It's like saying you bought a lovely old car for $1000 off of craigslist so why does a new car cost so much.

I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 so between either getting a Wii U and buying a shitton of games or this, this is a lot cheaper. I have an NES that works, but I don't really like battling it or the space that it and the games take up.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 14, 2016

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Swork posted:

Not when an old yellowed console sells easily for that at every pawnshop or retro game store.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Swork posted:

$59.99 is what OK-I-guess NES'es generally go for these days, and that's without games, or ability to reliably hook them up to modern TV's. The days of getting entire collections for a song is long-gone due to streaming triggering people's nostalgias in recent years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I was going to make a smart-assed remark about the thread title, but then I actually could see myself buying this, and I haven't seriously considered buying a gaming appliance in over a decade.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guarantee you the classic controller will sell out faster than the console.

Swork posted:

Considering Nintendo sells NES games on VC for $6 a pop or something it's a good deal. If you're concerned about the price then I would gladly pay you $60 for your NES and shoe box full of games.

Nail Rat posted:

How do "suspend points" work for VC, anyway? Is it a save state like an emulator, or is it a checkpoint system? And if the latter, can multiple people have a saved game going on a VC game?

Because I don't want to share my Final Fantasy save :colbert:

It's not a lot at all. Old stuff has a tendency to be buggy (sometimes not working at all) and for most newer TVs a weird adapter is required. The games cost $5 apiece on the virtual console, so buying digital versions of them all would be $150.

The fact you're getting something new is why it's a big deal. It's like saying you bought a lovely old car for $1000 off of craigslist so why does a new car cost so much.

They are literally save states. It even auto saves when you quit so you can hop back in where you left off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I was going to make a smart-assed remark about the thread title, but then I actually could see myself buying this, and I haven't seriously considered buying a gaming appliance in over a decade.

It cannot be understated how many kajillions of these things they are going to sell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Since it's a "Mini" version and they don't explicitly say it would, it's heavily implied that it does not play original cartridges. I would have thought that would be a big selling point for them.

I doubt this product is marketed to those who have workable stacks of 30+ year old cartridges.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

al-azad posted:

They are literally save states. It even auto saves when you quit so you can hop back in where you left off.

Great, thanks. The "suspend points" wording in the press release had me worried.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Guarantee you the classic controller will sell out faster than the console.

This too. loving :10bux: for a mint condition NES controller (with a different connector) is absolute insanity, I want to get like 10 of them.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's one way to get rid of an overstock of Wii/Wii U parts.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am buying one for sure, even if it is $70. I mean, you need a second controller. It's adorable.

A little disappointed there's no Duck Hunt and mini Zapper. :laugh:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

WaitsUp posted:

Not when an old yellowed console sells easily for that at every pawnshop or retro game store.

you can buy an offbrand NES for like 20$ that will play almost all US NES games

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Swork posted:

I mean these are all games you can play for free right now if you are a filthy pirate so really this is either something you are willing to pay their price on for nostalgia or you just pay zero dollars.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JakeP posted:

you can buy an offbrand NES for like 20$ that will play almost all US NES games

These are rear end-tacular. The only decent one of these that I know of is the Retrofreak and it's more like $300.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SettingSun posted:

I doubt this product is marketed to those who have workable stacks of 30+ year old cartridges.

I'm one of these people and I'm still probably buying it because it'll be like a bajillion times easier to set up and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I think we just found out what the "omg sold out everywhere" toy of 2016 is going to be.

No pre-orders up yet.

i can download the entire nes library to my phonme and play it who cares about some lovely piece of plastic