Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Bruh it's Super Nintendo.

I have no doubt that I'll get my monitor to display the game and it'll be playable, but if the ranges are mismatched you end up with full black and full white both being displayed as shades of grey with everything in between looking really washed out.

I'll probably end up just picking up a small garbage grade TV to play this on so I can play it sitting on the floor next to a precariously balanced beverage and a bunch of my old Nintendo Power magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I have no doubt that I'll get my monitor to display the game and it'll be playable, but if the ranges are mismatched you end up with full black and full white both being displayed as shades of grey with everything in between looking really washed out.

I'll probably end up just picking up a small garbage grade TV to play this on so I can play it sitting on the floor next to a precariously balanced beverage and a bunch of my old Nintendo Power magazines.

Actually it'll be fine on your monitor

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I'm posting on my super nintendo hooked up to my monitor via HDMI right now, it's great. Good sound fidelity too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

HDMI RGB ranges are definitely a real thing so I dunno what to tell you guys, but if it looks fine maybe it autodetects or something. I don't have my SNES yet, that's why I was asking about it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You know I may not play this this thing every single day or even every single week but it feels so good to be able to have a little, cool, dedicated machine with controllers that feel pretty much how they used to, available at any time for some wholesome rear end Super Nintendo gamin

Just a night or two ago I smoked a blunt and started playing FF5 again (with the GBA script patch) and god drat, I definitely still like it more than 6 even after all these years

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wholesome is a great word for this thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

HDMI RGB ranges are definitely a real thing so I dunno what to tell you guys, but if it looks fine maybe it autodetects or something. I don't have my SNES yet, that's why I was asking about it.

And like 5 of us have already said it works fine with modern monitors, and so have hundreds of other people if you google it, so I guess we dunno what to tell you either :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The SNES only displayed like 256 colors, I doubt you need the full HDMI range.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, the SNES Classic is definitely worse.

Yeah? Not even the "king of emulators" ZSNES has as bad compatibility as canoe:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cojawfee posted:

The most important thing is that the blacks are blacker than the blackest black times infinity.

So as long as it displays actual black, it’s good.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

And like 5 of us have already said it works fine with modern monitors, and so have hundreds of other people if you google it, so I guess we dunno what to tell you either :shrug:

The first Google results I get are people saying it won't output full range, much like the WiiU couldn't. :shrug: My question was whether or not it could switch modes and people are just telling me that the video signal somehow doesn't matter because the games are SNES games, which makes no sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/comments/7379t5/psa_the_snes_mini_seems_to_output_only_limited/

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/issues/724

Cojawfee posted:

"Full range" has nothing to do with the number of colors because it's badly named.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 15, 2018

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Keito posted:

Yeah? Not even the "king of emulators" ZSNES has as bad compatibility as canoe:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y

Canoe is not a general purpose SNES emulator...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Anyone have any tips for getting Rush’N Attack/Green Beret to run on the SNES Classic and, if so, what revisions should I be tracking down? Can’t seem to get Mame2003 or FBA cores to play right (either way too fast or not well at all, never inbetween).

I would say the same thing about Gyruss Arcade, but I KNOW I’ve exhausted every avenue on that because I have the legit cab right next and it would throw shade the entire time.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Hakchi2 CE just got updated to v1.2.1: https://github.com/TeamShinkansen/hakchi2/releases/tag/v1.2.1

If you were on 1.1.0 you'll be prompted to upgrade when you open it

daPhie79 posted:

hakchi2 CE v1.2.1 (Hotfix)

This is v1.2.0 of hakchi2 CE. This release once again brings a lot of new features, in addition to as many bugfixes as we could identify and fix. As always, if you encounter any bugs, please feel free to open an issue on Github and we'll try to address it as we can.
DISCLAIMER

hakchi2 CE by @TeamShinkansen and hakchi scripts from @madmonkey1907 have always been experimental software: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Minimal HOW-TO upgrade from previous versions

You can upgrade to this release from previous versions and things should continue going well, and hopefully better. If your base kernel or scripts are out-of-date and needs to be upgraded, the system should advise you to do so. You can follow prompts and if everything goes well, you'll be good to go in no time.

If you prefer to do things manually, you can use Kernel > Install/Repair. This will put you up to speed.

If you're experiencing issues and would like to start fresh, you can then try Kernel > Reset. this will effectively erase all customizations and files and settings and put hakchi back to how it's supposed to be after a fresh install. This option also avoids wear and tear on NAND memory, as it does not flash anything, only reset data.

If you want to benefit from the new automatic backup feature of hakchi, you should first do Kernel > Uninstall, and then give the app your existing kernel backup from previous versions of hakchi2 when it asks you to do so, then once everything is back to stock, run the first menu item Kernel > Install/Repair. This should create an internal backup on the NES/SNES mini, and you should not be prompted for a kernel dump anymore. You should always keep it stored safely in case unforeseen problems arise, but you shouldn't normally need it anymore.

Those are all the choices you should ever need from the Kernel menu. Of course, there are still other capabilities tucked away in Kernel > Advanced, which are, by definition, for advanced users!
Under the hood improvements

updated hakchi scripts to the bleeding edge
added app support for networking modules (ssh, ftp, telnet)
seamless support for both clovershell or network modules
many improvements to sync/export games:
incremental sync algorithm for both exporting and synchronizing games!
linked sync option: greatly improve incremental sync efficiency
no more temporary files when exporting or synchronizing (only exception: when using game genie codes)
complete support for games separation for multi boot option
european and usa models of mini are now considered as 2 different console types
better size estimate on games
proper free space calculation on export
much better search algorithm for cover art scanning
cover art scanning now supports putting covers in separate directories per system
completely new and more flexible tasks system
read and save configuration on the mini on-the-fly
new more flexible config file handling
more flexible HMOD install drag & drop support
install SFROM Tool (as well as .cnp patches) by simply dragging & dropping the install package

UI Improvements

new streamlined kernel operations:
install / repair (install and repair hakchi kernel/scripts)
reset (to erase all files and repair hakchi kernel/scripts)
uninstall (to go back to stock kernel)
flash uboot submenu for sd card mod users
all other advanced options now reside in the advanced submenu
improved install/uninstall modules dialog and process
improved games collection management
allows managing your collections with your console offline or online
allows syncing any collection when multiboot is enabled
folders/pages settings are remembered for each collection (plus a sync button to make them all the same if needed)
new folder images set feature (subfolders in /folder_images become sets accessible in structure submenu)
added possibility to generate back button at the left or at the right
added home button generation for deep folder trees
new view menu options
hide original games
sort by core
group games without cover art
prepare art folders dialog (for selective cover art scanning)
select cover dialog when cover art scanning yields multiple options
very flexible select system and core dialog
associate a system to a game
associate a core to a game
batch modify command line for games
uses libretro info files database (and uses known binaries for compatibility)
new progress bar dialog with pretty icons
works in tandem with the new tasks system, much better view of the actual progress
new message boxes with pretty icons
add File > Add custom app
"live" screenshot dialog
unattended screenshot with one keystroke (F11)
Context menu > repair games feature (when you have broken links)
enable/disable usb host option
main application icon now resizes much better in windows explorer
connected console firmware is shown in title bar
more safety nets when synchronizing games

Bugfixes

folders manager:
image previews were not resized properly
splitting folders would trigger an exception in some situations
sort by app type would sometimes cause an exception
missing folder images would trigger an exception and delete .xml file
improper config saving on the console
game filenames were not always renamed safely
scanning cover art on compressed games would sometimes cause IO errors
scanning cover art would cause way too many false positives
boot splash now resizes images that are not 1280x720 exactly
changing boot splash would hang shell
export games would not allow selecting network drives
font remount would cause issues with certain mods and hsqs mounting
save_count was always zero when importing games with sfrom tool
free space wasn't estimated properly when using separate games for multiboot
original games interactive demos and pixelart folders were not linked properly
empty directories were not all or always deleted after usb export and nand sync
importing corrupted snes game would cause fatal exception
reset button combination (and other controller hacks) would stop working after sync
game changes were not always saved properly
some access violations could occur when doing tasks that require de/compressing games
hmod selection window ui would freeze when many hmods were installed (v1.2.1)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I received my SNES Classic and hooked it up and can now confirm personally that it only does 16-235 output so LOL at the "It works fine on a monitor" stuff.

Holy cow this is a good controller though. Definitely going to pick up a USB adapter for it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 17, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I received my SNES Classic and hooked it up and can now confirm personally that it only does 16-235 output so LOL at the "It works fine on a monitor" stuff.

It works fine on a monitor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I recently got a new PC; and I, in ignorance, forgot to save my SNES Classic backup. Are the kernel backups unique to each SNES? Or can I use anyone's?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

jivjov posted:

So I recently got a new PC; and I, in ignorance, forgot to save my SNES Classic backup. Are the kernel backups unique to each SNES? Or can I use anyone's?
You can use anyone's.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blood Libel posted:

You can use anyone's.

Next question; anyone got a backup handy they could hook me up with?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty sure that's :filez:. Best off checking the usual channels.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cobalt Viper posted:

It works fine on a monitor.

oh okay

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Holy cow this is a good controller though. Definitely going to pick up a USB adapter for it.

What does this mean? I seriously want to know, I like learning about weird tech stuff. Is there a blog post explaining this?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
For anyone still looking and up this late, Rakuten has the European model for $85 and free shipping with coupon code SAVE15

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/altata...vbH0OOFNgZVKm0g

Might be worth it for the European model and the 6' controller cable extension included.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

What does this mean? I seriously want to know, I like learning about weird tech stuff. Is there a blog post explaining this?

This explains it: https://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

Limited isn't necessarily worse than full, but the ranges need to be matched between the video source and the display. When using an SNES Classic on a monitor, contrast is greatly reduced and nothing can be displayed as completely black or completely white. It makes sense for the SNES to default to limited, but it sucks that there's no way to change it.

If you do it the other way around and have a game console output full range to a TV that's expecting a limited signal, details in light or dark areas will be lost and blown out to pure white or pure black.

This has been a pain in the rear end issue with everything involving HDMI ever since stuff started having HDMI ports.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

It works fine on a monitor

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 17, 2018

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

general chaos posted:

and the 6' controller cable extension included.

You can get those on Aliexpress.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

They exist?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sure, the trick is to get the mayflash Wii classic controller adapter.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Manky posted:

Sure, the trick is to get the mayflash Wii classic controller adapter.

Unless they updated the firmware recently, Mayflash's adapter doesn't work with SNES Classic controllers-- I had to return the one I bought. Raphnet makes one that works fine, though.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh really? That's good to know. I don't have one personally, I saw one review on Amazon vouching for snes classic controller compatibility but doesn't sound reliable.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

NTSC in North America is a bit weird in that stuff is calibrated so that there's wiggle room both at the upper and lower bounds of luminance. In other words, there are "blacker than blacks" and "whiter than whites". Now on a normally-calibrated TV this means that you won't be able to differentiate black (luminance of 16) from blacker-than-black (luminances from 0-15) and white (235) from whiter-than-white (236-255). Now the gotcha is that monitors, newer TV's, plus I believe Japanese NTSC which uses the full range, actually have 0 as the "darkest" and 255 as the "lightest". What this means is that what should be black will instead be a very very dark grey, and what should be white will be a very very light grey, and other colors will be off a tiny bit as well.

I mean, the games will still be playable, and largely be fine, but the colors won't be 100% accurate if you're not using it on a North American TV.

I wonder if the Japanese Super Famicom does the same thing, now, given NTSC-J working differently as I mentioned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Supercar Gautier posted:

Unless they updated the firmware recently, Mayflash's adapter doesn't work with SNES Classic controllers-- I had to return the one I bought. Raphnet makes one that works fine, though.

That's weird, you'd think it would just act as a pro controller. My SNES controllers work on my Wii.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
SNES Classic works fine on a monitor.

Sorry your brain is broken

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That's weird, you'd think it would just act as a pro controller. My SNES controllers work on my Wii.

Yeah, I have no idea what could be causing the incompatibility but that's how it is.

Wii CC: Works with wiimote, classic systems, and Mayflash adapter
NES CC: Works with wiimote, classic systems, and Mayflash adapter
SNES CC: Works with wiimote and classic systems, does not work with Mayflash adapter. Works with Raphnet adapter.

gently caress if I know, until I ran into the problem I thought they were all functionally the same controller in different casings.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what could be causing the incompatibility but that's how it is.

Wii CC: Works with wiimote, classic systems, and Mayflash adapter
NES CC: Works with wiimote, classic systems, and Mayflash adapter
SNES CC: Works with wiimote and classic systems, does not work with Mayflash adapter. Works with Raphnet adapter.

gently caress if I know, until I ran into the problem I thought they were all functionally the same controller in different casings.

I can confirm this firsthand, I have the Mayflash Dual Box Wii and the SNES CC only registers a few buttons and incorrectly at that.

univbee posted:

I mean, the games will still be playable, and largely be fine, but the colors won't be 100% accurate if you're not using it on a North American TV.

Hey you've got to manually set the tint and color levels on your TV for the authentic experience anyway :v: NTSC is dumb

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Swilo posted:

Hey you've got to manually set the tint and color levels on your TV for the authentic experience anyway :v: NTSC is dumb

This is almost a good way of justifying it. Never The Same Colors, even in 2018.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Classic games can be extra-weird, too, since they'll do dithering as a way of faking transparency because, since everyone is connecting their consoles with either an RF switch or, if they're really fancy, composite, it'll blend it together.

(Note how the game's title was designed to have a gradual color shift effect)

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
They've been up at Gamestop.com for over an hour, if anyone still needs one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

And they’re back at GameStop. Just saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Has anyone switched from an older Hakchi2 build to the CE setup? I wanted to make sure I wasn't loving anything up if I switched over.