Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

flavor.flv posted:

6 gigs? You could fit the whole turbografx library on that there, including the games for the cd addon

A good bargain for whomsoever bought one of those things

And still have a ton of room left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Swilo posted:

Modding the TG-16 mini has seen some progress. Nothing public yet but it reads as having 6 GB of internal free space for additional stuff to be crammed in so it won't need any weird USB dongles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAeX-UkWuM

Yessssssssss, been waiting for this

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Finally. Glad progress is getting made!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

And still have a ton of room left.

Out of curiosity…Which 1G1R set are you using? Can you link to archive if it’s uploaded there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bonobos posted:

Out of curiosity…Which 1G1R set are you using? Can you link to archive if it’s uploaded there?

It's a couple years old, downloaded it from a :files: site. Most of my rom management is done through Launchbox nowadays, I built an arcade cabinet

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Swilo posted:

Modding the TG-16 mini has seen some progress. Nothing public yet but it reads as having 6 GB of internal free space for additional stuff to be crammed in so it won't need any weird USB dongles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAeX-UkWuM

gently caress yeah, let's go

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
My moms got nostalgia from when she would play Mario while I was at school. The prices of the NES/SNES Classic or a Switch with monthly subscription are kind of excessive. Is my best option RetroPi or something like that? I'd really like to do this without too much fiddling.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Dr. Poz posted:

My moms got nostalgia from when she would play Mario while I was at school. The prices of the NES/SNES Classic or a Switch with monthly subscription are kind of excessive. Is my best option RetroPi or something like that? I'd really like to do this without too much fiddling.

an android phone (if she has one), hacked new 3DS or PSP/vita are all extremely good & relatively nonfiddly options for that level of emulation

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wouldn't play Mario on an Android without also having a controller.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dr. Poz posted:

With the SNES classic you get two first party controllers and a dead simple console experience. How are you going to get a pi to that price and level of simplicity? It's likely the 30 games will be plenty for her to scratch the nostalgic itch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This one is barely more than they cost when they new. The classic is just such an ace little device, if you’re not specifically into tinkering with poo poo it’s a no brainer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3945134790...emis&media=COPY

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Mantle posted:

With the SNES classic you get two first party controllers and a dead simple console experience. How are you going to get a pi to that price and level of simplicity? It's likely the 30 games will be plenty for her to scratch the nostalgic itch.

Exactly why it was my first thought on how to solve this, but seems unnecessarily expensive. Cursory googling showed me they're commonly sold for around $200

EL BROMANCE posted:

This one is barely more than they cost when they new. The classic is just such an ace little device, if you’re not specifically into tinkering with poo poo it’s a no brainer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3945134790...emis&media=COPY

This would have been perfect. Unfortunately, this listing was sold by the time I viewed it and a lot of the related eBay listings creep up to the $200 figure. I'm not in a position where I can deal hunt on eBay right now either, but I appreciate the pointer still.

Thanks for reviewing the options for me everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm gonna just tell you, get the SNES Classic even if it's $200. By the time you get a Pi, SD Card and controllers it's not going to be much cheaper, and it's so simple to use. With a Pi you have to worry about setting it up and Lord help you if the SD card corrupts and your mom isn't technical

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet you there’s a dozen cheap SNES Classics locally listed on OfferUp right now.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug
After double checking, my mom really just wants to play the original Mario Bros. Not sure $200 is worth it for something she may spend 30 mins on for a few days out of a month, but I appreciate the evaluation of the SNES as being worth it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bet you there’s a dozen cheap SNES Classics locally listed on OfferUp right now.

Checking this out, this may be the route I go for an NES classic. Thanks!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Be careful though, there are a LOT of fakes out there.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do they still sell that Mario game and watch anywhere? That’s a thrifty option

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If your mom has a tablet, I would suggest just downloading an emulator and buying an SN30 Pro from 8bitdo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you already have a pi? Because they are harder to get than an snes classic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Those shits are $200 now? Jesus.

Anyway, we're familiar with the Pi's habit of "oops card corrupt". The Classics are set and forget, especially once you spend the 2 hours it takes to get Hakchi + cores + rom fixes and your favorite 100 or so games on the thing.

here's a two-pack that's o ly really missing the second NES controller

Alternately? Uh, I guess get a 3DS and do a firmware hack so that it runs emus on it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

People recommending 3ds as an option haven't priced 3dses lately.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

A Wii or Wii u would be cheap and easy to hack.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you have a fire stick or other android smart tv? You can buy a cheap Bluetooth gamepad and sideload some emulators on there

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Get on AliExpress and order one of those cheap handheld emulation devices. I’m pretty sure some even have hdmi out on them. If you want to spend a little more I recommend the retroid pocket 3+. I play mine just as much as I do my steam deck.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The anbernic 353P is a good choice too if we’re suggesting handhelds. It’s shaped like an SNES controller so there’s some familiarity

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to install a Japanese game called Armadillo to my NES mini, but Hackchi 3.9.3 throws up the warning "Armadillo uses mapper #118 but this mapper is not supported by the NES Mini and the game will probably not start with the default emulator. But it should work if other emulator's module installed [sic]. Do you want to add this game?"

It installs, but on trying to play it, after a few moments the game freezes and kicks me back to the main menu. Is there a fix I could try? I've not yet gone so far as to try and install other emulators to my NES, only games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I'm trying to install a Japanese game called Armadillo to my NES mini, but Hackchi 3.9.3 throws up the warning "Armadillo uses mapper #118 but this mapper is not supported by the NES Mini and the game will probably not start with the default emulator. But it should work if other emulator's module installed [sic]. Do you want to add this game?"

It installs, but on trying to play it, after a few moments the game freezes and kicks me back to the main menu. Is there a fix I could try? I've not yet gone so far as to try and install other emulators to my NES, only games.

Armadillo is weird. It uses an MMC3 chip but the extended RAM isn't the same, probably for integration with the Battle Box peripheral. I don't know of a NES mini fix; I suspect a patch to just make it use the standard mapper wouldn't be difficult but it's one of those things with such little need that no one would ever bother.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, that's too bad. Thanks for the answer though.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

davidspackage posted:

Use Hakchi to install retroarch and a NES emulator core. Right click on Armadillo on the games list, choose "select emulation core", and change the core from Kachikachi (the default NES emulator on the mini) to whichever core NES core you installed in Retroarch. From now on, if a game gives you grief with the original emulator, just throw retroarch at it.

It sounds a bit complex, but it really isn't. You already have Hakchi installed, which is by far the most difficult part. Let me know if you need more help and I'll find you a YouTube video to explain it better.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Use Hakchi to install retroarch and a NES emulator core. Right click on Armadillo on the games list, choose "select emulation core", and change the core from Kachikachi (the default NES emulator on the mini) to whichever core NES core you installed in Retroarch. From now on, if a game gives you grief with the original emulator, just throw retroarch at it.

It sounds a bit complex, but it really isn't. You already have Hakchi installed, which is by far the most difficult part. Let me know if you need more help and I'll find you a YouTube video to explain it better.

Cool, after a bit of stumbling I got it to work, thanks!

I downloaded retroarch and just drag-dropped it into Hackchi, which seemed to work pretty fine. Afterwards I found that there's an option from the menu Modules > KMFD's Mod Hub built into Hackchi that lets you just grab and install stuff.

Anyway, I had options to change the core for Armadillo from Kachikachi to either Nestopia or FCEUmm. The former had the same crash result, but FCEUmm seems to be stable. Even works with the rom patched to have English translation. Thanks a lot!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
You're welcome :) Also worth noting, if it matters to you: as a general rule, retroarch emulation cores don't have the input/sound lag that the stock emulator has. Not sure if the NES mini lets you change the default core for the builtin games (the SNES mini doesn't), but you can always just upload a second copy of the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Any news on genesis mini 2 hacks? I wanna add snatcher and some other things to this.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The Hakchi2 CE devs have said they're focusing on the TG-16 first and then they may do the Genesis 2 afterwards.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hello! I was pointed in your direction when I asked if someone had a bead on a trustworthy PS Classic mod thread.

Is this the place?

I caught some youtube videos about it, but figured I'd check here in case there's better alternatives than the projectERIS stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Amazon has the Sega Genesis Mini 2 for $77.69 ($99.99 but with a discount on main page)

Worgit
Jan 11, 2020
New game expansion set for the Egret II Mini revealed: https://cohost.org/gosokkyu/post/2604654-egret-ii-mini-arcad

Return of the Invaders
Wyvern F-0
Wardner no Mori/Wardner/Pyros
Operation Wolf
Tokushu Butai U.A.G./Thundercade
Chuka Taisen/Cloud Master
Night Striker
Crime City
Yuuyu no Quiz Go!Go!
Kyukyoku Tiger II/Twin Cobra II

If anyone's in the market for the Cyber Stick made for the md/genesis mini 2, there's also a bundle with that, since 2 of the games in the set use analogue controls, and an upcoming firmware update will add support to the main unit.

Worgit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 24, 2023

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug

loudog999 posted:

Get on AliExpress and order one of those cheap handheld emulation devices. I’m pretty sure some even have hdmi out on them. If you want to spend a little more I recommend the retroid pocket 3+. I play mine just as much as I do my steam deck.

This was the right course of action. Looked up devices on youtube, settled on the Miyoo Mini and it's perfect.

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
Hey, there's an Atari 400 Mini coming out in a week. Neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CISWgbgZajw

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been introducing my nephew and niece (6 and 4) to the SNES mini on babysitting nights. They're a bit too young to get the hang of it yet (niece keeps driving straight into the walls in Mario Kart while furiously twisting the gamepad like a steering wheel), but it's still a big hit. It's really nice to find that they can still enjoy videogames that aren't touchscreen, and that saturation with pixel- and retro style game apps make it so they don't reject the snes games as looking too boring.

I've loaded the thing up with some Disney games for them... anyone have ideas for games particularly suited for really young players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Have they tried Kirby Super Star yet?