Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm so getting one. It's missing a handful of the games I had as a kid, but this is gonna be great.

Gonna hook it up to the bedroom TV and stay up late playing super Mario bros likes I did as a kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/nintendoforce/status/793848075479638016

Well this is disappointing.

Edit:

On the bright side though

https://twitter.com/nintendoforce/status/793851889280544768

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
i think it might be cheaper to buy an OG NES and all 30 game cartridges than pay the obviously insane scalper prices that some ebay sellers think they're gonna get.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

They made that retarded decision because they also made the retarded decision to make the reset button on the console itself an active button that does things. The cords are short so you can reach the console to press the reset button.

Why they didn't add a tiny button on the top of the controller or something instead to do the exact same thing is beyond me but there you go.

Are ableist slurs really necessary?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

mutata posted:

So basically no one having any in stock for over a month now basically means they've stopped making them, right?

Nope; they're still trickling in in ones and twos.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sold out now

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tomahawk posted:

Now do one with only good games

There you go

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

Paging jivjov to the thread

Hi! The plural of amiibo is amiibo! Have a nice day!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Called the 4 TRUs in my area; only 1 got any, but they got them at noon on Friday and were sold out by 1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

So wait, the last Nintendo console I bought was a Wii and even then I never used the online store with it. If you buy virtual console games on there, they don't transfer to any newer generation consoles you might buy? Am I reading that right? WTF if so.
Otherwise, I could have totally seen the next step as a little HDMI stick with wifi that just lets you get Virtual Console games for usual prices. Rather than, or along with a holiday release of a N64 mini, or gameboy mini. Who knows though, they might not make another mini console after this SNES one. Everyone saw the SNES one coming last year but that didn't necessarily mean it was going to happen until it did.

You can access your Wii VC purchases though Wii Mode on the Wii U (provided you system transferred). And a lot of games got rereleased on the Wii U eShop and you can buy anything you owned on the Wii VC for the Wii U VC at a substantial discount.

mutata posted:

Virtual Console purchases have always been tied to the console, not any kind of personal account. There have been a few methods to transfer purchases from one 3ds to a new one, but never cross generational.

Incorrect. Since the advent of the NNID, all purchases have been tied to that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

I thought that wasn't the case for the 3DS at all, the NNID is just another step in it but purchases are still tied to the console.

Nope; all your purchases are tied to your NNID. If you lose or break your system, your NNID (and all your games) can be remotely transferred to a replacement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

If the game's were only tied to your NNID then you wouldn't need the license transfer, they're still tied to the console still.

Your games are tied to the NNID; the NNID is tied to a console. If the games were only tied to the console, there would be no way to recover them if you broke your 3DS. But, thankfully, they're tied to your account, which can be relatively freely moved around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

The games are tied to the NNID to the console to the generation.

More importantly, which of the new amiibo make the best butt plugs?

Once you migrate stuff up from the Wii to the Wii U, it gets tied to your NNID. The NNID did not exist on the Wii, and as such there's no way to log in with it on the Wii.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love your avatar/custom title :allears:

Also, I don't understand why preorders are running out. Why not produce, or order to be produced, enough units to at least match preorders? You've got near-guaranteed sales there. I know people can cancel preorders, but really, it's likely that most won't. Even if you have to delay the delivery after q certain number of preorders are made, I feel like that's still a better plan than just having a limited amount.

Because the way production works, the order for SNES Classics was placed months ago now. If you did preorders like that, you'd have to open up preorders close to a year before release date.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

checksin posted:

yeah i'd do that if it meant i got one of these dumb machines

The average consumer doesn't want a year-long lead time on ordering a novelty consumer good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

I hear Kickstarter is a thing now. I've waited longer on things I've funded.

Kickstarter is not a store, things backed are not preorders.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Many many moons ago I had this black and red paperback called "How to Win at Nintendo" and I would read it cover to cover frequently...despite only owning like 3 of the covered games.

Edit:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If I had the money I would download high res scans of the entire run of Nintendo Power and have them printed and bound with hardcovers and then never actually read them. They're a cool relic.

It's a shame the internet archive's collection of Nintendo Power got pulled

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The good news for Nintendo magazine aficionados is that a group of fans banded together and started the Nintendo Force Magazine. It started coming out a couple months after Nintendo Power shut down, and has continued bimonthly since then.

https://www.patreon.com/NintendoForce

The tiers say "per month", but the Patreon only bills in months that they actually release an issue, so it's a bimonthly charge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo Force has even managed to have a small handful of exclusive reveals and whatnot. Usually just indie stuff, but still!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spellman posted:

Do they ever put mini-guides for games in those magazines?

That's actually been one of the big things they haven't done, is straight up gameplay guides.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

katkillad2 posted:

I'm always sad when I've finished my Gameinformer on the shitter. I am definitely a Nintendo fan, but I just can't imagine how they have enough material to work with to make a regularly released magazine.

In-depth reviews and previews mostly; with a lengthy interview segment as well.

Looking at my most recent issue:

Pg 1-2 Cover and inner-cover blurb
Pg 3 Table of contents
Pg 4-7 reader-submitted letters, fanart, etc
Pg 8-13 News; quick rundown of things like "Here's the N2DSXL, Funko Pop has classic gaming mini figs, Samus figma, Sonic 25th Anniversary statue, etc
Pg 14-25 Coverage of downloadable titles, including news and speculation on the NES titles that'll be offered with the paid Switch online service.
Pg 26 Comic
Pg 27-34 Main feature; this issue's is about "The element of surprise", and is a look back on surprising E3 announcements and the like.
Pg 35-53 Previews; Mario+Rabbids gets 3 pages, Mario Odyssey 2, most everything else is a one pager, or 2 small blurbs to a page.
Pg 54-55 A brief discussion of spoilers, and how spoilers can affect gaming
Pg 56 Comic
Pg 57-60 Retro section; flashback to the surprise that was the rest of the game in DK94, a character profile on Rabbids, and a page about what Nintendo Power looked like 15 years ago this month
Pg 61-63 Interview with Brent Black and Julian Spillane
Pg 64 Comic
Pg 65-77 Reviews of new releases
Pg 78-81 Community section. This one has an Interview with Arlo, and a look into fan productions like the Mystery World Dizzy fan release.
Pg 82 Next Issue Preview
Pg 83-84 Inner back cover blurb and back cover

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If it weren't for the Switch, I would be totally into getting some print Nintendo Force. I have no desire for a Switch though, so I feel like the vast majority of the coverage would be wasted on me.

Nintendo Force doesn't have an archive available of older issues or something does it?

They're still covering a lot of 3DS stuff. And yeah, you can buy their back-catalog. Some of the oldest issues are PDF only at this point, but they've got the last year or two's work in physical still.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got mine; cheers!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, do we know for sure that the SNES Classic is going to have a USB plugin like the NES did? If they go with a proprietary power cord instead of USB, there goes easy hacking.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kiranamos posted:

There's no penalty.

Source: I bought a preorder once and the guy couldn't fulfill it, which ended up having the order cancelled by him with the reason "buyer requested it" and no way for me to report it since the order immediately disappeared from my history.

I had the same thing happen with an amiibo; I missed getting a Greninja preorder, and had my ebay one cancelled out from under me because the scalper got less than half of what he sold.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

My NES Classic has never been opened. It's just sitting there, in the box, waiting. Maybe some day.

You should sell me your NES classic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That or they still have no idea how many they're getting and decided it was better to play it safe and cancel everything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

I'd much rather have a preorder that gets fulfilled in December than no preorder at all

If it's anything like the NES classic stock, it would be "your preorder is fulfilled on release day, or will never be fulfilled at all"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The US has pretty lovely consumer protection laws, and if I recall correctly, preorders fall in all sorts of legal grey area.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone near one of these get me one? Please? I'll pay you $100 for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Or there were a couple pallets that got delayed in transit at some point and are just now showing up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
An official statement from Nintendo regarding the SNES Classic:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is this because Nintendo didn't actually produce more? Or re more bots run by scalpers snatching them all up to try to flip for insane profit later?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Supposedly gamestop is taking in store orders, nintendeal posted a pic of some dude's receipt. No luck yet at my local store though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My store knows their allotment; they're getting 5. Still can't click the button tho

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got mine from gamestop!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheMadMilkman posted:

How long were you waiting in the store?

Half an hour. Got there right about 12:30 and was told they couldn't click the button yet for some reason. Right at 1, they went live. I was first to arrive but ended up being 2nd in line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Piquai Souban posted:

Question for EB Games / GameStop folks: how long do they hold pre-orders? I am out of town for a family wedding when they drop on the 29th, and won't be back in town until the 2nd or 3rd.

48 hours after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Piquai Souban posted:

They said I'll need ID to pick it up, and they'll do a lot of verification around pickup. I wonder if I can pre-arrange to transfer my pre-order to a different name if I show up with a friend.

I have successfully picked up someone else's preorder before, he just called the gamestop and have them my name