Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guarantee you the classic controller will sell out faster than the console.

Swork posted:

Am I the only one that thinks $59.99 is a lot?

I think I got my NES and a shoe box full of games at a garage sale for that much.

Considering Nintendo sells NES games on VC for $6 a pop or something it's a good deal. If you're concerned about the price then I would gladly pay you $60 for your NES and shoe box full of games.

Nail Rat posted:

How do "suspend points" work for VC, anyway? Is it a save state like an emulator, or is it a checkpoint system? And if the latter, can multiple people have a saved game going on a VC game?

Because I don't want to share my Final Fantasy save :colbert:

It's not a lot at all. Old stuff has a tendency to be buggy (sometimes not working at all) and for most newer TVs a weird adapter is required. The games cost $5 apiece on the virtual console, so buying digital versions of them all would be $150.

The fact you're getting something new is why it's a big deal. It's like saying you bought a lovely old car for $1000 off of craigslist so why does a new car cost so much.

They are literally save states. It even auto saves when you quit so you can hop back in where you left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just overheard a strange conversation where a 40yo cliche house wife was hyping up the NES mini as the second coming then her thinks-games-are-wastes-of-time husband jumped in like "OMG I HOPE IT HAS EXCITEBIKE." Yeah, bestselling console of 2016, get this poo poo on Walmart shelves.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Ugh...the controller cord looks obnoxiously short.

What kind of life you living if you don't put the console in your lap while you play?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wank posted:

After showing some 8 bit games to my 5 year old the thing about them is they are really difficult. Especially compared to modern games. My son crushes Minecraft but Super Mario presents many difficulties. In a way the games only work in a "this is the only game I own and I want to beat it" type way.

Also the "language" of video games is different. I'm sure you've seen someone who would throw their whole body when jumping in Mario because it was their first ever video game. Well if you want a laugh then find someone whose only experience was early arcade games and sit them down for a game where controls and camera are seprate, they will probably be physically incapable of looking and moving independently.

I don't think old games necessarily are more difficult (although some intentionally were to a high degree, thanks anti-rental initiatives) but once you know the language behind them you could blaze through it with enough time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Couch? I think you mean beanbag 6 inches away from the TV. Alternatively Indian-style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sucks Disney owns LucasArts because Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the perfect combination of cartoon aesthetic and co-op action. How has no one made a spiritual successor in this era of Kickstarter? There was one janky attempt on Xbox but it was pretty forgettable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ghoul Patrol is like Silent Hill 4 in that it was a different game that got rolled into ZAMN late in development. It just plays so much worse with floaty, momentum based movement and unlike ZAMN which creates an exit next to you it's in a set location, usually the beginning of the linear stage.

Herc's Adventure is decent but it's a straight linear action game.

I guess the cheesy B movie horror nostalgia was long gone in a post-Mars Attack world but I feel like in 2017 horror is a fun genre again that everyone loves again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I never played ZAMN back then but when I finally did on an emulator I thought it was massively overrated. I just don't think it holds up well at all?

What didn't you like about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Coprocessor used in Mega Man X2 and X3.