Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's one way to get rid of an overstock of Wii/Wii U parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/55h0f6/nintendo_entertainment_system_nes_classic_edition/d8bqmdy/

This guy has connections and he says it's going to be hard to find.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't putting Retropie on it defeat the whole purpose of getting an NES Mini over a Raspberry Pi? I know it looks cool and all but the custom controller port means there will be some button layout issues.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

It's the PSTV all over again. :smith:

People actually wanted the Mini NES and it wasn't cleared out for $20.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Vita TV was just a warehouse of Vita 1000 parts and PS3 controllers they had to clear out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

I don't think I get those rasperry pi things ... My roommates had one for the home media center and it crashed about half of the time I wanted to watch a movie. Adding subtitles, and pretty much anything to do with the GUI was a nightmare too.

Isn't it much easier to just use chrome cast, or stretch an hdmi cable from your PC?

It's just a small low spec computer running Linux.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/benjamin_bear/status/888655259517812736

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I really don't understand why "1 per customer," at least at first, is so out of the question.

Hey kids here's $80. Hand it to the nice lady at the store. We'll go to McDonalds afterwards. Uncle Bill and cousin Bob are coming too.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only worthwhile thing to do with an unopened PSTV is to hack it or sell it to someone wanting to hack the system. Pretty much any unopened western console will be able to be exploited really.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

It's opened (are you talking about retail box or the actual case?) ... sittin' in a drawer somewhere. I think I got it for $20 during a black friday sale or something (along with the PS4 Gold Wireless headphones for $29... thanks Jet.com!).

Maybe I'll try Remote play and see how that works out. lol just kidding I have a toddler there's no such thing as free time

At firmware 3.60 or under, a hack called Henkaku allows playing games not on the white list, homebrew, and of course piracy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kmart stopped selling video games in stores altogether a while ago now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevyn posted:

If they use the same 512 MB drive that was in the NES Classic, you should be able to fit most of the North American library on there, right?

The full SNES romset I have is almost 3 GB. Even separating out USA region games leaves it at 658 MB

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wait for Black Friday and there should be a mega pack available.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nickoten posted:

I apologize because I know this must have been asked already, but what are you guys using to track local in-store inventory?

A site called brickseek.com is being used by all the internet deals sites.

045496590758 is the UPC. My local targets seem to have blocked their inventory now.

E: I'm in the Cincinnati area and most Target stores had around 50 coming in before they blocked inventory numbers but now my closest one is showing 75. Walmarts seem to be in the 30-40 range

Dehry fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 28, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nullsmack posted:

I called mine a bit ago and they told me they had 9. They also said they had stuff setup for a line and there was no one in it at the moment. According to Brickseek, my Walmart has 30 or so. I'm a little conflicted because Meijer is closer, but Walmart has more. I'm kinda hoping no one thinks to check Meijer.

I'm in a line of 7 people at Meijer right now. Hopefully they tell us how many are in stock soon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From my Twitter searching expect under 15 per Meijer store. My store still refuses to give numbers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
10 for my Meijer too. Two people went home.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nolen posted:

Thanks to the person who mentioned Target. I was able to snag the very last one on my lunch break :).

They also had like 15 neon Switches in stock too. Supply might finally be catching up with demand.

Two weeks and they'll be hard to find again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm standing in line at Best Buy waiting to pick up Mario Odyssey and there's 12 here.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This was at the front door at my local Best Buy last night. There were an additional 10 just sitting at Customer Service. The local Target didn't have any SNES classics, but they still had Mario Odyssey Switch units. People were still lined up to buy Mario Odyssey from store pickup too.

Restocks are rolling between different stores. Some choose to announce and generate lines, others are low key and un-surprisingly no scalpers show up to buy.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 28, 2017

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a "Belkin AV10117 4-Way HDMI Switch with Wireless Remote"

The remote is crap and I've lost it, but it seems to work well with my larger devices. It auto selects whatever device was used to power it on. I did notice the SNES Classic and PSTV both don't output enough power to reach my TV though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The next batches are probably being held for Black Friday so supply has probably dried up for now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly there's a Target restock mentioned in the replies to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/930525619737128960

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a matter of population density and if the store announces they're getting units in stock. Scalpers rush to buy out a store's inventory when announced, but if they're just placed on the shelf they sit all day with no one buying. There shouldn't be 20 units in stock at a Cincinnati Best Buy the day Mario Odyssey launched if it were really that popular.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're probably sitting on the sales floor right now at a number of Best Buys. Now that they made the announcement it will sell out in minutes tomorrow morning.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The SNES Classic has been in stock at Gamestop the past hour and I could still add to cart just a moment ago.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The answer pretty much anywhere is "Just download a Game Boy emulator."

gently caress the Super Gameboy

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I see a bunch of classics at my local target. There may have been a restock.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug-CyGXMabg

Ben Heck tore down the SNES CD. At 19:37 he breaks down the specs.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about SUPER Gameboy classic.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt Viper posted:

Target and Best Buy have them super regularly. Maybe set up a brick seeker notification for them. They're 100% easier to find in person than get online.

I've had multiple chances at buying one on random Target and Best Buy trips. If I hadn't wandered into a Meijer at 8pm on launch night and been second in line I still could have had one before Christmas. It's only when they publicly announce stock that they vanish.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Target restocked again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/997144186057977856

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw one sitting on a store shelf. Then proceeded to buy out the stack of 75% off Wii U games and accessories.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1042296784058376192

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/1070139936924405760

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/a368a5/games_sony_had_tested_on_the_playstation_classic/

The guy just deleted that tweet but here's the reddit post

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Is there actually a huge demand for the PSTV now or is this the retro/speculator trying to buy up the next big thing for the resale market?

There were two separate piracy hacks that cleared out remaining stock of Vita units. 2016 was the first real piracy hack which cleared out remaining new stock, then earlier this year a hack that worked up to the latest firmware at the time. Since the secret got out that all Vitas could be hacked the secondhand market took back off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh right, didn't his estate start getting obnoxiously litigious over it for some reason?

Sega doesn't seem to want to answer questions about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sega is going to show off their Megadrive Mini on Saturday.

They took ATGames off the project last year.