Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was a couple years too young to get big into the NES so this is super tempting. If they make a SNES one I'm there on release night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Instant Sunrise posted:

SNES Classic is coming September 29th

• Contra III: The Alien Wars™
  • Donkey Kong Country™
  • EarthBound™
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO™
  • Kirby™ Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course™
  • The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
  • Mega Man® X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox™
  • Star Fox™ 2
  • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV™
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts®
  • Super Mario Kart™
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
  • Super Mario World™
  • Super Metroid™
  • Super Punch-Out!! ™
  • Yoshi's Island™

That's a drat fine list. Maybe I can finally put my Wii away since this has all of the VC games I bought on that system lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Instant Sunrise posted:

Why didn't you just transfer them to your Wii U's Wii partition?

Never got around to picking one up. Honestly I don't use the Wii that much anymore either, I just haven't bought a console to take its slot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone get this at Gamestop last night/this morning? There's one down the street from my office, I might sneak out on my lunch break and see if they have any. I think there's a Target around here somewhere too.

univbee posted:

At least we can still get our SNES games on our Classic Wii-

...oh, we should probably get on that rather soon.

Oh poo poo, I've actually been wondering for a couple years when they were going to shut this down. I'm a weirdo who still has his Wii plugged in, I should check and see if there's anything else I want to download.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Struck out at Target, Gamestop, and a Toys-R-Us that I forgot existed near my office (in south Jersey). Could take the long way home from work to check Best Buy but I'm guessing that if I can't get one at 1 PM then I definitely can't get one at 5 PM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I chatted up a few people waiting in line at the Walmart and everyone seemed pretty excited to play SFII/Megaman X/FF3/SMRPG/whatever the gently caress else. So unless everyone there was lying through their teeth, everyone there just wanted to keep it.

I want one so I can finally dump my actual SNES hardware guilt-free. Pretty much any game I've wanted to revisit in my SNES collection is on the Mini. Now I just need to find one!

E: I will be sad if/when I actually sell my FF3 cart though.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 29, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did we get any confirmation on a restock date or time line so I can avoid rolling up to Best Buy every day like a weirdo?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FilthyImp posted:

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse.

The mechanics are fun and I remember it being an earlyish game thay really showcased what the SNES could do.

This game is dope and is maybe the one game in my SNES cartridge collection that I wish I was on this thing (and isn't already). It was one of the games that my parents got me when they first bought me my SNES and my mom claims that she played it a bunch when I wasn't around.

I guess Mega Man 7 is on that list too but I already own another way to play it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

Don't shame my television, this old trooper lasted me all the way through until the PS4. >:(

Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Pilotwings 64
Blast Corp
Pilotwings 64
Lylat Wars(?)
Smash Bros

That's my N64 knowledge spent, anything else?

Fuzz posted:

Battletanks
Perfect Dark
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Bomberman 64
Pokemon Snap
Rogue Squadron (but probably not because Disney is a dick)
Star Wars Racer (see above)
Shadows of the Empire (ditto)
Turok
A Mario Party game
Harvest Moon 64
Some Wrestling game.

Kirby 64 was pretty sweet if fairly straightforward.

Also I remember loving Quest 64 as a kid but I'm scared to go back to it and see how dumb of a kid I was. I think I was just painfully starved of RPGs at that age.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The REAL Goobusters posted:

goldeneye is not good, and it has nothing to do with framerate.

haters @ me

I played the hell out of it as a kid but I think it would be tough to go back to after nearly two decades of progress in the FPS genre, and I'm not even that much of a FPS guy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone been able to pick this up in a store lately? I haven't done the brick & mortar rounds recently but I was in Target for something else yesterday and they still have display tags for the SNES Classic so I haven't given up hope of finding one in-store. Also they have NES Classic carrying cases if you're into that sort of thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I just saw the same email, opened the link immediately and it was already gone. Curses! :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Gamestops in northern NJ are getting more in tomorrow. Good luck, goons!

ahhh I need this to be in southern NJ instead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Swilo posted:

Same :toot:

Check Target's page for the SNES here: https://www.target.com/p/snes-classic-edition/-/A-52826093
If it says "limited stock" then they almost certainly have them.

"Not available for order or pickup within 100 miles of [current ZIP]" :negative:

Thanks for that page though, definitely bookmarking it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Target isn't letting anyone order for delivery or in store pick up. You have to click on see other stores.

Hmm, it says "limited stock buy in store" for a Target in my neighborhood. Maybe worth a shot if I can get up early...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
More are supposedly being sent to stores but I've been checking a few different places a few times a week to no avail :( I haven't received any instocknow alerts lately or whatever that site is called.

I don't even want to hack it, I just want to play cool old two-player games with my wife.

E: I probably need to start checking on my lunch break or something instead of on my way home from work, but the couple of times I tried the lunch break obviously didn't work either. But Target still has their display up so I haven't lost hope!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 17, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think my biggest problem is I'm still getting used to 2D gaming. Which requires very precise controls and patience. Also, enemies will hit you and sometimes ain't nothing you can do. I didn't really start playing video games until I got an N64, so playing the SNES classic has been an entirely new experience.

Hot take inbound: I've never felt that Super Metroid handles very well. Your jumping is really floaty and imprecise in nature but the way in which you react to damage is always very rigid and tough to get out from under if the hazard itself doesn't move away on its own. If I had to teach someone how to play 2D games I definitely would not recommend it. Mario World, Mega Man X and Kirby Super Star are all on the Classic and have much better platforming IMO.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gameko posted:

As one of the seeming minority who hasn’t managed to score one of these yet, I’d like to say that stock problems are still a thing.

In my area (urban boston) there are still lines forming outside the doors for restocks. The target in Braintree MA had two in stock overnight that were sold before the doors opened. Wife was working from home today and she got there as the doors opened.

For people with a 9 to 5 and kids to haul around to daycare and such, you really can’t compete with the high school/college/unemployed set who can get there early and wait until the doors open. There’s a reason scalpers still get paid, and it’s because throwing money at someone other than Nintendo remains a reasonable way to buy a thing.

I'm still looking too (South Jersey near Philadelphia). Went into Target near my office yesterday and they said that they had 15 come in last week, which sounds insane to me. They told me that they usually get large shipments on Fridays and told me to call back this morning...and then told me to call back Tuesday/Wednesday when I did call :cmon:

I got a Wii at the height of its scarcity by just walking into a Best Buy so I continue to have faith. But boy is it annoying.

E: I might just start rolling up to Target at 8 AM when they open up, I'd only have to adjust my commute a little bit.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 20, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does an alert that Gamestop has them in-stock online imply that they are getting shipments into stores, or are the two not that closely linked?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Word, there's a TRU on my way to work and I'm usually driving by it about an hour before it opens. Fingers crossed!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

this is a question I've been trying to answer. I've got an actual SNES console and a small pile of games (maybe ~20 cartridges?) and now that I've got the mini, I'm conflicted over what to do with the original. my inner nerd wants to keep everything in the event that the mini breaks or for some other outlandish scenario where I would conceivably need the original console again, but I'm also trying to be rational about it and it's just sitting in a pile in the guest room closet.

afaik none of the 20 or so games that I have are exceptionally valuable. should I hock them on craigslist or keep them or what

I want a Classic specifically so that I can finally part with my SNES collection guilt-free. The Classic already has every game that I both own in cart form and would potentially want to re-visit, and with all of the modding trip reports being posted in here it sounds like I can put the other stuff that I own onto it if I want. I'm gonna be real sad when I part with my FF3 cart though...

Funnily enough, my wife has been a big proponent of me hanging onto all of this stuff. She's not a gamer by any definition but keeps asking me if I wouldn't rather hang onto my SNES/N64 to show our eventual children what games were like in our childhood. I don't think most TVs even have the red-yellow-white AV cable outlets anymore and I can't be arsed to figure out what adapters I need to make those consoles work on newer TVs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Freaking Crumbum posted:

this right here is the main reason why keeping the original console is becoming an exercise in futility for me. I still have an older Samsung HD-LCD from 2006 that has coaxial and composite and S-video inputs, but I don't think those inputs have been included on new tvs since at least 2010, so when my old tv finally bites it, I won't even be able to play the original hardware any more (and gently caress paying money for an old tube tv).

there's a local second-hand place that does trade-in on old media like books & movies & games and I used to troll that place occasionally when building my old cartridge collection. I considered trading in all my old consoles and games there, but then I realized that I only ever used their store credit to buy old games in the first place, and that getting more store credit would be just as worthless if I'm never going to buy more of the old cartridges again.

I have a Sony LCD from 2010 that still has all of those, but I recently picked up an LG flat-screen from 2013 that has composite but that I think is missing everything older than that. I still have my Wii because I can play GameCube games on it without having to shell out big bucks for a GameCube composite cable :lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any details on how TRU is handling things tomorrow? Trying to call the one near my office to confirm how they're releasing these tomorrow and no one bothered to answer the phone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In line at TRU and a store employee just came out and said they got 20 in, so if you're on the fence about trying to get one there then give it a shot!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got one :toot: And I only had one person try to run me over! He just wasn't paying attention.

Work today is going to feel so slow...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

dragon_pamcake posted:

I promised my husband I wouldn't unbox mine until I moved into our new house with him. I have no idea when that's going to be.

...Is it unboxing to put Hakchi on it?

I told my wife I wouldn't get a Switch until I got a new job, but last I checked an SNES Classic isn't a Switch :frogc00l:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

XtraSmiley posted:

OK, it's been a while, can I walk into a Target yet and get these? Are they done sending them our way or are more on the way?

I still see scalpers selling them for $150 online.

Toys-R-Us got a nationwide re-stock literally yesterday, my store had 20 units. I also think Target is going to start selling these online Nov. 1st for people who have their in-store credit card. Don't buy it from a scalper, and definitely don't buy it from one that's selling it for > $100. Restocks are happening, have faith!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I briefly dipped into several different games the first weekend that I got this, but the ones that I've been focusing on are SMW and Super Metroid. SMW I played the gently caress out of as a kid, but the only other time I played Super Metroid was six or seven years ago and I honestly hated it. Playing it this time has been way better though, I'm not sure what changed other than now having some familiarity with the game. Probably going to do FF3 once I finish those, it's one of my favorite games ever but I haven't played through it in a long time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think most of us spent a couple of weeks modding it, powering it on to admire our work and then moved onto other things.

Honestly I don't know if I'm going to mod mine, or at least I won't be doing so for a while. There are a bunch of games on here that I never played as a kid, I want to see if I can beat everything on here first before adding stuff on to it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

yeah I said that too when I got mine.

Lasted about a week.

I basically only have time to play this thing for like a couple hours on weekends, so I'll get there eventually but it's gonna be slow going :lol:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are we still taking opinions on a hypothetical N64 Classic? Because despite playing the hell out of that console growing up, I don't think I'd want to go back to it primarily because the draw of that system was 4-person local multiplayer with the gang, and in present day I don't think I have any friends around here who would come over for that. On top of that the single-player games I'd consider going back to (Mario 64, both Zelda games) are already easily available elsewhere. Conversely, the SNES has a lot of amazing single-player games several of which I never had growing up.

This whole post is a secret cry for help re: having real-life friends to play games with :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

Believe it or not most people don't still have their old gang from middle school coming over to play video games with them.

Give me an N64 Classic with built-in online multiplayer and maybe we can get something going. An outdated online experience for an outdated console.

VV On the one hand doing N64 multiplayer without split screen is wrong on so many levels, but at the same time doing it online and letting each player have a full screen would solve pretty much every problem with split screen multiplayer.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2017