Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
So I think it's safe to say USA preorders are gonna go live sometime on Friday. Those placeholder pages at Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy have to be scorched at the edges from everyone hammering them.

I do at least have a preorder through Amazon.co.uk so at least I'm getting skittle-colored buttons on my SNES controllers, if nothing else.

Still hoping to do some small-time scalping when the USA versions go on pre-order though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Over the course of 2016, for various reasons, I picked up a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii U

My PS3 I snagged merely to scratch my God of War itch.

My Xbox 360 got a little bit of play for South Park and Halo 3/4.

My Wii U, however, is at 13 games and counting, and is the only console of the three I actively seek out on a daily basis.

Sure, I'm just playing catch-up after the system was released however long ago. But having a solid 15-20 titles that are complete bangers (along with full Wii backwards compatibility) means I'm going to ride this thing till the disc drive and/or the 500GB hard drive I attached crumbles to dust.

In conclusion, I can happily bide my time until whenever I can get my hands on the SNES Classic. Feed me more Nintendo asap

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's at max speed, too - it has other, slower options (2.68 and 1.79) and a lot of earlier games ran at those speeds.

I'm still somewhat salty at Nintendo for having zero backwards compatibility with the NES. The function of NES hardware turned out to be a subset of the capabilities of SNES chips. (both still 6502's at heart)

Thankfully the SNES got games that were so good that it overcame that hurdle.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
IMO the SNES versions of EWJ were better if only for their sound. EWJ2 especially because it had a button to toggle through your gun inventory. You could save those homing missiles for later on instead of having to blow through 'em immediately.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

chaleski posted:

The best Genesis game was Vectorman

Vectorman could have been Sega's answer to Metroid but they blew it in favor of Yet Another Platformer

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They should have used Chrono Trigger instead of Secret of Mana, and as a sort-of apology to people who couldn't get the NES they could have used their ROM of Super Mario All-Stars + World.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The NES Classic unintentionally created a new subclass of dipshit gamer fanboy.

"RAWR JUST BUILD A RASPBERRI PI" is just a reskin of "Install Linux = Problem Solved"

It's the difference between buying a Greatest Hits album and burning your own CD. Sometimes you just want that poo poo pre-formed and made for easy interaction.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

afeelgoodpoop posted:

why get a retro genesis when a retro nomad is out now? http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...F:95653916:TRUS

That button layout :nono::nono::nono:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was able to snag 3 SNES Classics from 3 different Walmarts. I was at a loving concert when the alerts started popping up so I almost missed that poo poo.

That said, here's Amazon's placeholder to keep an eye on: https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic/dp/B0721GGGS9

Edit: Also Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-entertainment-system-snes-classic-edition/5919830.p?skuId=5919830

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Out of curiosity, do we know for sure that the SNES Classic is going to have a USB plugin like the NES did? If they go with a proprietary power cord instead of USB, there goes easy hacking.

To put all doubts to rest https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/30/15874874/snes-classic-edition-nintendo-impressions-photos

Also I used a saved updated credit card when I put in my orders with Walmart. All 3 of my orders were Site-To-Store. I have not received any notification of a cancellation yet.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 22, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo Classic Hysteria© Symptoms

-pronounced dunning-kruger effect on console emulation knowledge
-raspberry pi sycophancy
-delusions of retail logistics comprehension
-sales forecasting misphonia
-wishing other companies could come up with an equivalent but they'll never be good enough

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Your best bet if that ever happens again is to SSH into the Retropie using putty as pi/raspberry (default username/password) and run "sudo halt" to shut it down / " sudo reboot" to restart the machine. This will make sure the system stops/restarts safely and should help keep your SD card from getting messed up.

See this is exactly the poo poo that draws people to the Classics line of systems. The average joe never wants to even think that this is a thing they have to endure. This is something that I have the ability to reasonably set up and perform, but it's still clear Retropie is far from being plug-and-play.

I say this as the owner and operator of a fully functional Retropie that I put a good $50-70 of work into, including a top-of-the-line Samsung MicroSD card, fancy actively cooled case, and heatsinks.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 25, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Added 30 more games that I felt were "missing" to my NES Classic. Hakchi2 made it painless and I don't regret it one bit.

Among my additions were Contra, TMNT 1-2, Adventure Island, Battletoads, River City Ransom, and Blaster Master. It now feels like a "complete" greatest hits that the device should have been.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even at the bundle price it's still going to be flippable for $200 or more. Obviously it cuts down your own margins but you can still come out ahead.

Edit: I regret making a beeline for the cheapest bundles, and not snagging a Mega Man bundle.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 25, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I received the e-mail but my order still shows as "Processing" so I guess I'm just in the back of the line for the woodchipper here.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
@FatKidAlerts via @FatKidDeals is another good one

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Stores got so few units. I think it's reported only 150k units were available day one. That's a drop in the bucket when final product was 2.3 million.

I stood in line for about 2 hours at a Toys R Us in Bellevue, WA for my NES Classic. I was in Nintendo's back yard and at one of Nintendo's best retail partners and that store only got SEVEN loving NES Classics.

I knew that day I was holding something that was going to drive people crazy.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Is there a link to enter to win one?

edit: nevermind, just got the email. Text IN to 467-87

Looks like you have to be a PowerUp Rewards member?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Had an alert set up directly with Amazon and got no notification whatsoever. Not even an email. Weird.

Got my Best Buy order though.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Needs Frantic Flea, Dino City, and James Pond tbh.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping that Walmart will have a round 2 of preorders from all the reclaimed units from these cancellations.

Or they're doing cleanup now that they have more accurate stock numbers.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FireMrshlBill posted:

Yep, just have multiple usb/hdmi cables ready to go and you can move it around to different TVs/monitors depending on where you want to play without having to keep running cables.

As I said above, I just have it connected to the built-in USB3 hub in my monitor (which isn't even connected to a PC in order to supply data/power). It doesn't require a lot of current to run, the bottom of the NES classic just says 5V input, doesn't even give a min Amp for input.

I've powered the NES off a USB 2.0 port which are spec'd at 500mA. I wouldn't recommend it for long periods of time as it may be a bit low, but it'll work.

The output of the packed-in NES Classic power is 1A, for what it's worth.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the question I demand answered is why isn't there a 240p output option, nintendo answer my emails

it'll output at 720p for a perfect 3x integer scale factor you giant dweeb

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Still gonna hold out and wait patiently for the 8bitdo SN30 Pro. I already have their NES Classic receivers which should very well be compatible with the SNES Classic too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748S1VDC

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Ahahhaahahahah holy crap Ghouls ‘n Ghosts is next level BS.

The awful jump arc combined with RNG enemy spawns is on a level nearly unmatched in gaming. It's incredible that people can overcome this game.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

So the Retro Receiver works with this? If it does, what's the point of their new thing that isn't coming out until December?

Can confirm that 8bitdo's retro receiver works perfectly with the SNES Classic.

I didn't even have to update the firmware and the responsiveness I got out of my FC30 Pro controller was fantastic.

Bonus is that the Power button on the 8bitdo controller also functioned as the reset button so I could go back to the main menu.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Today? Pretty much, unless you're in vicinity of Nintendo HQ or NYC.

Ever? You should be able to get one.

I'm not sure if being in Nintendo's vicinity is even a saving grace. When the NES Classic launched, I stood in line a couple hours at a Toys R Us in Bellevue (perhaps a 15min drive from HQ) and even that store got 8.

Thankfully I was 7th in line.

The_Rob posted:

DKC has legit the best soundtrack of all time.

It's almost like someone had this ambient/industrial electronic concept album and they built a game around it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did the NES classic have wonky sound issues too? I dont have one so I didn't follow it closely

Coins in Super Mario Bros sound particularly bad on the NES Classic.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

I wonder what that gem is worth these days. The first thing I ever sold on eBay in 1999 was the gold N64 controller that came with the Toys'R'Us Goldeneye bundle. Just the controller — it went for like $85. That's big bucks to a little kid!

Fwiw in 2012 I had a vacation in England. Spent the day in Canterbury and came across a retro game shop that had a gold controller for about £20-25.

I was so dumbfounded at the good fortune of even finding one of those things that I bought it immediately.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's a good resolution for box art, does it scale for you? Some of the box art files I've seen are super giant jpgs, don't want to waste memory.

It scales for you, but I'm finding that 640x469 resolution on the box art is the right balance between looking perfect in the UI and not being too huge (max filesize about 200kb)

Detective No. 27 posted:

What exactly is retroarch?

It's a multiple-machine emulator that can basically emulate anything as long as a compatible core plugin is installed. You'll find the best compatibility from using the cores that have been made for RetroArch .

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Don't zip your ROMs. hakchi2 can automatically compress them during the sync process.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Do save states and rewind work with ROMs you dump in yourself? And do I need to keep the number of games at 30 or is there extra room for a lot more games as is?

I'm up to 52 games and Hakchi reports over 200MB free on the storage chip. Other people in this thread have put in 100+ ROMs. You're fine.

Also ymmv when it comes to savestates and rewind for non-official ROMs.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

Just unlocked Peach in Super Mario RPG, and I'm thinking about what party to use this time. As a kid, I always went with Mario-Peach-Bowser, but now that I'm playing the game again, I think I'd like more of a challenge. Maybe Mario-Mallow-Peach?

Not using the wrecking ball known as Geno is often considered a travesty tbh

He was so OP it's probably why we've never seen him again in anything.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Look at this opinion. Look at it

Nintendo could at least have thrown SMAS on the SNES Classic as an apology for the NES Classic supply debacle.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had to manually do some cropping but I've had mostly good luck with The Cover Project

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=8

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

How easy is it to gently caress up the SNESc with this hakchi stuff? I'm interested in adding a few more games into this thing, but I don't want to end up
a) loving it up
b) Bricking my sudden investment

You'd have to go out of your way with inserting random command line parameters to gently caress up your SNES. Follow any guides you find and hakchi2 makes the process basically brick-proof.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 16, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The SNES used an unusual CPU, the Ricoh 5A22 which was based on the WDC 65C816. The 65C816 was basically a 16-bit extension of the MOS 6502, the basis of the NES CPU (Ricoh 2A03). The only other (somewhat popular) machine that used the 65C816 was the Apple IIGS, and probably both used it, at least in part, because the 65C816 was backwards compatible with the 6502.

This makes me a bit salty that there was never any official backwards compatibility with the NES, as information like this suggests that the entire hardware-level operation of the NES was a mere subset of what the SNES could do.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Get your asses to a TRU this coming Friday

https://twitter.com/ToysRUs/status/922821582300569600

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
NES Classic/Woot Mobile App Update: 5pm CT

https://twitter.com/woot/status/928693677391835137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

I meant to say amps - because some of my USB power adapters charge my phone at different rates of speed compared to the other ones. That won't be an issue with the SNES Classic?

The SNES doesn't care. Though I wouldn't put it on something much higher than a 2A (like from an iPad). The SNES will only draw as much as it needs.

You're probably powering the classic from a TV's USB port (typically 500mA unless otherwise specified) or from a weak older cell phone charger (750mA).

I use my SNES Classic w/8bitdo receivers on a 1.5A and it runs for hours.