Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The way they put this up on Amazon was bullshit. I had an alert setup, and they didn't even have time to email the alert out before it was already sold out. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So we just had a trauma patient come in on northern NJ. Went to TRU and waited with 40 other people to get one, TRU only had 5 that weren't preorders. They promptly sold all 5 to the first guy in line, he was promptly hit by a car in the parking lot and several others were trampled.

Strong work, Nintendo. Even stronger work by TRU.

:shepface:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Real talk did people scramble and steal them while he laid on the pavement?

I mean I wouldn't really blame them if anyone did.

Yes and the dude broke his leg and had a few other injuries. Probably paid for them and lost them all.

Real time lesson in avarice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I got out of work crazy late and was just laughed at at the three stores I poked in to ask about it. The GameStop guy literally says to me, "Dude you should have been waiting at like 6 am, what were you thinking? You snooze, you lose, buddy."

Meanwhile I was still in my scrubs and was already at work at 6am. Thanks for judging my priorities, store clerk fucker. :rolleyes:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Risky posted:

Pretty dick thing to say but I'm a nurse and knew a month in advance to ask for those days off.

I work in northern NJ, yesterday was Yom Kippur, and literally half our practice is Jewish. A bunch of actually very religious guys couldn't even get the day off, and I gave up my earlier relief spot to my residency buddy because his dad is the rabbi at one of the bigger temples in the area. Thankfully he got out early enough to take care of stuff. :unsmith:

But yeah, gently caress GameStop. I really hope there's another wave of production of these, and Nintendo just yanks the rug out from under all these scalping assholes and they end up with all these extra consoles they can't move. I'd pay a LITTLE extra to have one shipped, but gently caress dropping 175+ on one... that's almost as much as the system was when it came out in '91.

Edit:

DrManiac posted:

They would put out a bunch of snes classics 3 days before I get paid. Maybe I'll luck out like I did a month a go when I scored my switch.

I've been tempted to go hunt for a Switch, but Nintendo has a tendency of putting out a hardware revision pretty quickly, especially when the Switch has all those controller and battery life complaints. Really making me hesitant to drop that much only for them to make a New Switch or whatever that irons out the kinks.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 30, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rufio posted:

Switch owner here and I have no idea what controller issues and battery life complaints you're talking about. The very first shipment had a left joycon issue that was solved by a foam insert, but thats it.

Meant more that the battery life is awful and people overall don't like the form factor of the controllers. Also apparently the entire thing can end up warping for people?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The battery life is literally just slightly worse than a 3ds, handhelds have never had good battery life since backlit screens became standard.

Also that warping thing isn't common to any serious degree other than one Reddit post.

Oh okay, I had heard it was only like 2-3 hours. My N3DS can do like 8 hours straight before needing a charge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ventana posted:

Gamers People had more patience and intelligence in the 90s.

Fixed that for you.

Add me into the list that will buy your extra SNES Classic and cover shipping and whatnot. I'm in NYC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Sell it to Fuzz. He struck out yesterday because he was saving lives.

univbee posted:

This is a good idea. In fact despite being somewhat poor, if it's not super-expensive I'll pay the shipping part so he can get it for actual cost, if Fuzz takes you up on the offer.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I can totally cover the cost. Also I'd hardly say that I was saving lives yesterday, nor does that make me any more deserving of getting one.

We should probably get a list together and start adding goons in the order they posted requesting someone get them one. That'd be the most fair way to do it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

So it turns out the program you could use to flash more ROMs to the NES Classic works with the SNES Classic, nice.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/27/16375236/snes-classic-edition-hacks

This has been known since Thursday. It's a matter of time before they crack and you can load any ROM onto the perfect emu. Honestly, this is 90% of why I want one... that and I never actually played Super Mario RPG when I was a kid, and the last time I had tried (2006ish?) it wasn't correctly emulated. :smith:

But yeah, I wanna be able to load Metal Warriors on it and play the amazing battle mode with my buddy and pretend it's 1996 again. That game was amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

enojy posted:

Dude says "sness" and is wearing a Turrican II shirt. This is gonna be a tough watch.

Most people say, "Sness," do you actually spell it out every time, because that's weird.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only bad answer is "Snezz". That's it. Everything else is more or less fine.

:colbert:

Yeah, this.

Personally I always call it the Super Nintendo Chalmers.

What's a diorama?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

+1 for calling it a "Super"

I bet you're one of those people that calls any carbonated beverage a "coke." :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

Nintendo NY still has them in stock.

:what:

No, seriously, are you sure about this? I will go down there right loving now, if so.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

According to their twitter, they're selling them again today at 11AM.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoNYC

As someone who picked one up on Friday, be prepared to wait a long rear end time. (I waited 3 hours)

Credit/Debit only. They're logging you into their customer database to ensure you only get one. ID must match the credit/debit card and vice versa. Once you get one, you can't buy another one until 2018.

drat. I'm at the St John the Divine Feat of St Francis thing... apparently they're gonna have some llamas and a komodo dragon in the procession this year, kinda awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My dad was a pro at Rad Racer on NES.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Launch SNES represent. SMW or NOTHING. Though I got it several months later, in fact I think it was already 1992. Still, it was awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Always check everything with GameStop. They can and will skip you used games instead of new ones.

Seriously, it's a piece of poo poo store.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

My go-to story is when I wanted a copy of MK X for a buddy and didnt want to drive 10 minutes to a BB since I was in a mall. Gamestop dudes give me one brand new MK X disc. In a white paper sleeve.

No case or inserts or anything. Brand new. Why the gently caress am I paying full retail for something that looks like I got it from the back of a dodgy van.

Because it wasn't brand new. You were given a demo disc or a damaged box copy.

Seriously, GameStop is loving predatory. No one should ever shop there and the entire company should die out.

In other news, Nintendo NY is still selling copies. :aaaaa: I tried to go yesterday after the wife stuff but they were turning people away saying they didn't want us to waste our time and we should come back tomorrow at 9am. I have work today, though, so...

Here's hoping by some demented twist of fate they are still selling them on Sunday :pray:. (unfortunately I'm on call Saturday :smithicide:)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Aww, you missed the Treasure Truck on Friday. It was set up on 28th between 5th and 6th and they had a fuckton of them. I was working, but managed to sneak out during lunch and grab one. If you use Amazon, might be worth signing up for Treasure Truck updates.

I work in NJ and was in the OR all day Friday. I got the update about the truck, just no way in hell I had any way to go check it out. :smith:

I'm holding out hope that Nintendo will make good on their promise to produce more of these than the NES Classic and I'll eventually be able to get one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Where's all the love for NBA Jam and Metal Warriors? Come on now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh, and the True Lies game.

No joke, that was one of the surprisingly most fun overhead shooters of that generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuuD3_k1SMg

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Actual cartridges of Metal Warriors are pretty rare and expensive now. It was one of the last games out on the system, and it was made by LEC in their prime, which is all you really need to know. LEC making their own version of Contra meets Gundam with a splash of Bionic Commando. That's basically how to sorta describe how amazing it is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

For truly authentic experience, second player should also be using a dirt cheap 3rd party POS controller. That just may be the PlayStation Classic though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, that's been a tradition for as long as third-party controllers have been a thing.

Nah, back in old generations the system always came with at least 2 controllers and a game, for 95% of the people getting it.

You just gave them the older, more beat to hell controller with the squishy buttons.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I still don't get people that but third party controllers. It was just never a thing that happened with us, but then again BACK IN MY DAY there wasn't much that was more than 2 player, and the rare 3-4 player situations people would bring their own extra controller to play.

Then again, I mostly missed that entire N64 generation since I was in college when it took off. A few people on my floor had one and they'd try to have Goldeneye tournaments and the rest of us would just be playing Counter Strike beta 4.2-6.1 and laughing at these console people being amazed at their fps.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

To be fair, the N64 controller was a stupidly laid out and horribly designed piece of poo poo, so I can't blame anyone for looking at alternatives.

The Gamecube controller was a thing of comfort and beauty, however. drat, what a great controller.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The trick to grappling in Super Metroid is to never grapple at an angle. Just swing and when you're below the grapple point shot straight up. You can get across every single grapple area doing this.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I think that people overestimate the impact that scalpers have on supply.
It's impossible to know, but I bet that 95% or more of the volume sold thus far of SNES classics have been opened and played with for personal use. The people who buy them and use them essentially disappear, because they're not trying to buy more and they're not trying to resell theirs. The reseller sticks around in your memory because they're reposting the same ad on craigslist for their 3 units @$200/ea every day, or have had the same ebay Buy It Now listing up for two weeks.

Most people who waited in a line have a story of someone who threw a tantrum because they weren't allowed to buy more than one. But everyone else in line wanted to buy one for themselves and maybe an extra for family/friends who couldn't get one.

The shortage is because there are more people out there who want a unit than there are units to sell them, not because the scalpers bought them all up.

Someone link this guy that Treasure Truck photo of the dude that bought 9.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nintendo NY has more on sale this week, but of course it's during the hours I'm working. :smithicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Just buy a new TV, TVs are super cheap these days.

Yeah, this. What the gently caress.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pierson posted:

Don't shame my television, this old trooper lasted me all the way through until the PS4. >:(

Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Pilotwings 64
Blast Corp
Pilotwings 64
Lylat Wars(?)
Smash Bros

That's my N64 knowledge spent, anything else?

Battletanks
Perfect Dark
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Bomberman 64
Pokemon Snap
Rogue Squadron (but probably not because Disney is a dick)
Star Wars Racer (see above)
Shadows of the Empire (ditto)
Turok
A Mario Party game
Harvest Moon 64
Some Wrestling game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SNES Classic - Let's talk about how great the N64 was

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

The carry handle would not be at a scale suitable for adult fingers.

Which is why it would be a perfect keychain.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So Target clerks are saying they're not getting any more at all. Dunno if that's true, but who knows.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Man, I really hope they get this in stock and Nintendo doesn't totally fail on producing enough. I tried really hard to get a NES for several months and had no luck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Not enough love for The Adventures of Batman and Robin in here. That game was amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nintendo needs to partner with Disney for a retro console release. I'm sure between the two insane fanbase cults it'd sell millions.

On another note, I've got my SNES mini plugged into a back USB 3.0 port on my PC, but I haven't had any problems so far with SMW or Star Fox 1 or 2. Should I be expecting any?

Make a retro emulation station shaped like Darth Vader's helmet with a classic controller setup and it has all the good Star Wars games on it from the SNES Super series to the last series of Lego games.

Bonus inclusion of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, DF1 and 2, and the Rebel Assault games just for kicks. Charge $200 for it, call it a day. It would print money.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I gave up and snagged one on eBay for $150 shipped. I actually swang by Nintendo NY this morning at 630 to wait for one, but the line was literally 300 people deep already wrapped around the block, and I would literally be wasting extra money going into work late just to wait for one and probably not get one. I was expecting maybe 50 or so people waiting that early, but holy poo poo. So I accepted the fact that I will more than likely not manage to ever get one at retail and have come to terms with spending an extra 70 just to not have to deal with all the bullshit involved.

So sick of modern concert tickets/electronics releases. Stores seriously need to start enforcing purchase limits on launch, because the secondary market is overtaking loving everything. I collect action figures and its always been a huge issue there, it's pretty poo poo that it's now invaded gaming, a place where it generally wasn't an issue previously unless you HAD to have something day one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Spiffster posted:

For the record, Contra's Airborne camera levels can gently caress right off

You mean Gauntlet With Guns (tm)?

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

No sooner did I order one for $150 when my best man calls me later today to tell me he got one. Dropped it off at work for me, so now I've got one to keep clean and the other to HACK THE poo poo OUT OF. :woop: