Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Garage sales are a complete dead-end for retro gaming unless you're the kind of person who stands outside a 9AM garage sale at 8:30 waiting for the sale to open up, and even then its super-rare because everyone but the most out-of-touch old people cleaning out their basement knows that poo poo sells these days. It's really frustrating tbh, I used to find NES and SNES games at garage sales all the loving time around 10 years ago.

That said, while this is a cool idea, for $59.99 you could get a Raspberry Pi with enclosure, SD card, NES USB controller and have the entire NES library on it. Plus since you're doing emulation there's all sorts of filters and poo poo you can use to make the "NES displayed on an HDTV looks like poo poo" curse go away. Hell, might as well get an SNES controller instead and go whole-hog, since you can most likely fit every single video game released before like 1994 on a single 32gig SD card

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Friend of mine is a recycling truck driver in an upscale neighborhood, he finds boxes of vidya games all the time. He's found a box with an N64 and fifty games a few times, similiar boxes of SNES and NES. It's crazy what people through away.

Yeah, back in the day my area was a goldmine for cool poo poo people threw away, but nowadays on Big Trash Day you get a bunch of people driving around in minivans and pickup trucks at like 3AM grabbing all the cool stuff. Kind of a bummer.

jm20 posted:

Some people put a 0 dollar value for their time, how is this surprising

I mean you're talking maybe an hour of setup so I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

Lt. Chips posted:

Are you actually serious here?

What part of what I said is so offensive to you?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jm20 posted:

I'm sure every non technical person can set that up in an hour, without accounting for them downloading the legal rom backups of the games they presently own.

I'm not going to :can: the ROMs/:filez: argument, but seriously, if you've never done it, getting RetroPie setup is incredibly simple, and configuring it is also pretty easy. I hate to link Gawker poo poo, but if Lifehacker posts a guide for it, that usually means even the most brain-dead person could get it done pretty easily.

I'm not saying "durr the mini NES is a terrible idea because you should just DIY it you pleb," but for all the people who wish it came with/let you add more games, or wish there was an SNES version, setting up a Pi gaming station is a valid alternative.

Also, how are these any different from those 30-in-1 Genesis or Atari systems you can buy at Target etc.? Better quality, maybe, but other than savestates and the fact that the controller will work on a WiiU, I don't see a big difference.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

Somehow I don't think the "Whoa hey it's Mario 3 I remember this this is pretty cool" market and the "I have the knowledge, patience and desire to put together an emulator box" market have a ton of overlap, which seems to be the whole point of this thing. And yeah functionally this is the same as the Atari and Sega things, but Mario is a huge pop culture icon whereas Sonic has tons of overtly sexual self-insert Deviantart pictures so I think these companies' IPs resonate pretty differently with different demographics

Nah, I agree that as a novelty it's a great idea, and I'm definitely going to end up giving a couple as birthday/holiday gifts, but I think Pis being an ultra-nerdy, steep-learning-curve thing is overblown. "Building" it is literally snapping the Pi into a 2-piece plastic case and plugging in power, USB and HDMI. Heck, you can get SD cards with RetroPie pre-installed on them so you don't even have to download it and format an SD card. Honestly if it wasn't for the ROM legality thing, I guarantee that Make or Adafruit would sell a full DIY Emulation Station kit.

Sorry if it seems like I'm staunchly defending emulation boxes over licensed stuff, didn't mean to make it a "1 is clearly better than the other" thing.

I guess the Sega/Atari demographics thing makes sense, but it's crazy to me how social media and gaming sites are blowing up over this thing when other system equivalents have been around for years and are mostly bargain-bin fodder at this point. IIRC there actually was a pretty solid Genesis one that had a pretty solid clone of the actual Genesis controller (maybe even the whole system was inside the controller?).

Nail Rat posted:

I actually didn't know the Genesis thing existed, that's pretty cool and the fact it plays carts is also cool, but quality issues aside the game list is kind of garbage compared to this. I suppose you can buy your own since it plays cartridges, but that kind of defeats the purpose of spending 50-60 bucks and having not a ton of space taken up by a complete game collection.

drat, I didn't even know the one you mentioned existed, but you're right, there is a Genesis one that plays actual cartridges in addition to having a bunch of games pre-installed. I think at that point though you're back into the Retron/other systems that play old cartridges but usually just emulate the game instead of playing it properly, so that's a whole 'nother story.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 14, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

EDIT: Also, on the Genesis things, from what I hear the sound is awful on those. The Genesis had an actual YM2612 FM synth chip on there, and apparently these clones just try to emulate it with pretty poor results.

I've heard that too, actually. I loving love the Genesis sound chip too, and I'm convinced that Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral used an identical chip. Just listen to the first 30-40 seconds of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8MByH0ELSo

That wobble noise at around :34 always makes me flash back to the Sonic games, I know I've heard that exact sound in one of them but I can't remember where.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Naxuz posted:

Yeah, a HDMI-enabled, well-engineered mini-NES that comes with an original controller, plays a great selection of classics straight out of the box and is 100% hassle free, just plug it in on Christmas Day and enjoy a few games you loved when you were on first grade - totes a rip-off compared to a Rasperry Pi emulator box you have to spend a dozen or more hours to obsessively put together to run properly.

you're a dummy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Coffee shops that aren't Starbucks and hookah places loving love having an NES poorly hooked up to a cheap LCD in front of a couch for the god drat millennials who have Mario t-shirts and never played an NES until college.

I've seen this a couple of times and while I'm a spergy nerd, I'm not quite enough of a spergy nerd to tell one of the employees "hey if you guys just pick up a lovely old non-flatscreen from Goodwill for like $10 it'll look way better with that old Nintendo" (not that they'd give a poo poo anyway)

Also, I know there's that dumb video series where they give 90's tech to current teenagers and watch them puzzle over it, but it really is pretty funny when you see a kid who's crazy good at like Dark Souls or Devil May Cry but gets absolutely destroyed by Mega Man 2 or Blaster Master. My buddy's 8-year-old knows how to play Pikmin and Mario Galaxy and poo poo but can't get past the first level of the original Bionic Commando.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wank posted:

Enjoy the cringe: http://www.spawnpoint.com.au

One of a few near me. I don't have to go too far to play a NES, Atari 2600 or MAME cabinet at a cafe or bar. These sorts of things must be all over.

Did someone say this might be USB powered? Because that would be great.

holy poo poo, they can't even make it look decent in the promo pics

I dunno if you're from Aus or not, but in the US there are 2 options:
-Dave & Busters which is basically a chain restaurant with a bunch of Time Crisis, House of the Dead and random racing games in the building, also there's the Angry Birds arcade game (I wish I was kidding but it's literally just the mobile game on a big screen, there's a bunch of these like Fruit Ninja and poo poo too). There's booze, but you're basically at a Friday's or Houlihans or whatever, so there's a ton of screaming children and families and it's overall a pretty miserable place.
-Barcade which is literally just a hipster bar with a few arcade cabinets in the back, but it's poo poo like Frogger or Galaga.

All I want is a place where me and my friends can get drunk and watch ourselves get progressively worse at like, Mortal Kombat 3 or Revolution X or something, but sadly there doesn't seem to be a middle ground :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nothing will beat the Waverace64 announcer in my mind

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know this guy's been done to death but he does a really solid cover of that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFqYeXKK3I

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really hope they capture the sheer durability of the original controller. That thing was loving solid. Looks like the hard corners are still there, at least :laugh: the button materials look slightly different, though that may just be the lighting.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

I really want to buy a couple of those controllers and swap the PCB with my real NES controllers, since the real ones are all yellowed and the plastic screw holes on one of them have broken off.

I would imagine that the internal spacing/screw hole locations might be different between the two, but you could always try it with one of those cheapo USB NES controllers first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You can see the difference to some extent as well even in similar titles of varying age. I don't actively practice or anything, but I can hold my own pretty well in Street Fighter 3 and 4, but I am absolutely loving awful at the old-school SF2. However, I've also seen the exact opposite. I saw some dude in an arcade who was wrecking all comers at the original, 8-character SF2, but I was able to beat him a few times when I asked him for a round in SF4. The core gameplay of that whole series is exactly the same, controls and everything, but the mechanics have been refined so much that it's basically a totally different game between 2 and 5, and I can easily see how you could be good at one but not the other.