Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Guy Goodbody posted:

the plural is Amiibos

Paging jivjov to the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

univbee posted:

I'm also not terribly optimistic the "in-store" allotment of SNES Classics isn't going to be a colossal shitshow, Nintendo has done precious little to inspire confidence in this regard.

The Switch itself is still near-impossible to find especially in Japan, as are non-grey Joy-cons and that's been on the market longer than they were allowed to make NES Classics for (and probably also SNES Classics).

Related question because I typically don't do the morning-of-release lineup madness: for the Switch and the NES Classic, how "late" were you able to show up to the line and still get one, typically? Could you show up an hour before opening and still get one, or was that too late? What about 2 hours, or 3?

I went to my local Best Buy for the Switch midnight release in a large city. I got there around 9:30 and was 47th in line; they had 50 Switches for sale at midnight. At least 50 people behind me in line had to leave empty-handed.

I'd estimate at least 85% were actual Nintendo fans and 15% were either really nice parents or very obvious scalpers. I really don't know what to expect that ratio to be for SNES Classic; probably way more scalpers since the NES Classic has proven it's a pretty certain profit for resellers.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 1, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Holy poo poo, thanks. I picked a good time to check the thread!

I was about to bitch about InStockNow not texting me, but just as I was replying to this thread, it showed up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

loudog999 posted:

Anyone else get an order number but still no confirmation email?

My email just showed up, and I ordered like 25 minutes ago. Might take a lil while.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This is insane, a re-release of a nearly 30-year-old video game console is selling out in seconds and crashing major retailers websites. I wish it was because Nintendo is THAT AWESOME but really it's just good old fashioned greed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BDawg posted:

BGR says Amazon went live in the middle of the night. I had an alert set up for Amazon and got nothing.

Compare that with Gamestop, who alerted me, but I never could find where on their site to preorder.

Yea, Best Buy went up first just after 1 AM EST. It was up for nearly 30 minutes. Amazon was at like 4 AM, also up for 30 minutes. The places that went live during normal non-nerd hours, though, got hosed.

I also got no Amazon alert whatsoever; they changed the product page entirely. Best Buy's came through (via NowInStock but like 3-4 minutes later than someone posting about it in this thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't know what's sadder, that this is all the garbage poo poo that collects dust on their retail shelves, or that these bundles are probably already sold out anyway.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

titty fat pizza posted:

Is standing outside of Toy r us for 3 days the only real chance at getting a SNES for retail if you missed out on the random unannounced preorders?

If you can afford to lose the sleep, you're probably better off showing up early for a Best Buy midnight release (as long as they do a midnight release.) In my experience, scalpers generally don't bother with midnight releases, they just get up bright and early for store openings. I showed up to my Best Buy's Switch midnight release (in a heavily-populated college town) at like 10 PM and was like 42nd in line; they had 50 for sale.

There's GameStop, too, who will almost certainly do a midnight release, but they always get way more traffic at midnight releases in my city. Odds seem worse there.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 23, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

wizard on a water slide posted:

It happens with stuff all the time

The four copies of the collector's edition of diablo 3 that my local wal-mart got were all purchased and flipped by the guy working the night shift in electronics

Which is fine in a way I guess I dodged a bullet???

Nah, Diablo 3 was good, just polarizing for D2 fans. I liked it quite a bit, my friend that I played tons of D2 with hated it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Link just died. drat!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress! I took the dog for a walk and missed it. GDI

Don't you dare take it out on that poor dog

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Even after playing the remastered N64 Zeldas on 3DS, which look and run better than the originals, I have no real desire for a N64 classic. I'm also that rare weirdo that didn't like Mario 64 at all, and since Goldeneye has a snowball's chance in hell in showing up, that knocks out pretty much everything potentially great to me.

I did play a lot of 1080 Snowboarding, but that ship has long sailed with SSX being a way better game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I kinda wish they had put Super SF2 on here instead of Turbo, but IIRC, Super took a graphics hit due to all the extra fighters on the cart. Man, I can't wait for this thing. I was a Sega kid growing up and decidedly middle class, so I never owned a SNES. I used to have my mom drive me to Service Merchandise to play their display unit all day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kiranamos posted:

Have a pending refund from them so yeah, it's happening.

That's just the authorization pre-charge they do to make sure your card can cover that amount. They don't properly charge you until an order ships. You should still be OK unless you get an email.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I ordered one from Walmart and it seems intact so far.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's just sad. Last week there were only like 200 listings, now there's nearly 1000.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm going to pick up my ship-to-store Best Buy preorder at midnight if there's a midnight release (pretty doubtful) or I'll be there 10 minutes before opening the day of.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Morby posted:

Apparently Walmart will be giving people $25 if they cancel your SNES preorder? This is news to me. They cancelled one of mine from 8/25 and no dice.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/09/09/walmart-is-taking-the-high-road-by-canceling-snes-pre-orders-and-other-retailers-should-follow/

I'm interpreting that as this website claiming Walmart will give all the scalpers who had their multiple orders reduced down to one unit a $25 gift card. Which is both stupid and hilarious at the same time.

"Sorry you weren't able to buy 50 of these from us and take advantage of people to the order of thousands of dollars in profit, here's a $25 gift card and go gently caress yourself."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I hope the SNES Classic is plentiful upon release (it won't be) and all these scalping pieces of poo poo who bought 30 of them successfully sell one for $250 and have to return the other 29 with a restocking fee resulting in a net loss (they won't and there's probably no restocking fee anyway)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SpazmasterX posted:

Skip FF2 and FF3, you aren't missing anything.

Not entirely true. I think FF2 is the one that has your main character going "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!" after every single battle.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I can't afford a house because I just had to buy two SNES Classics

(This is only partially true as I'm still paying off student loans but hoooo I've spent way too much on video games)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“umalt”" post="“476704975”"]
I’ve been seeing articles of people getting hands-on with the SNES Classic; and while I’m assuming there’s an embargo, has there been any word on the emulation quality?

I’m not getting my hopes up too high, considering that I remember people saying that the NES was only okay, but the anticipation has me anxious.
[/quote]

I never got to try a NES Classic, but everything I read about its quality was that it was the best you could get outside of an actual NES. That probably applies to only the legitimate ROMs.

Edit: here's direct footage of the EU console. Looks great to me, but be warned, this is that Nintendo fansite guy who says "hello you lovely people" and yeah just warning you. It's starting to hurt when I hear it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 24, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I don't think they took preorders in stores, just online. You should be fine if you go to Best Buy I would think.

They did take preorders for store pickup, if that's what you meant (mine is store pickup.) I don't know if their leaked allotment data includes those orders or not, though. I feel like it might, since the numbers are kinda weird (one of the screenshots was something like "271 units")

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EugeneJ posted:

So it's safe to say the N64 Classic will be the best of these systems for modding since they'll have to include more storage for the games, right

If N64 Classic happens, I'm fully expecting the same exact internals and around 10 games, topping out its storage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Muh List. Lemme know if anything crucial is missing because I'm pretty sure there'll still be room.

Actraiser I/II
Arkanoid
Barkley Shut Up and Jam!
Batman Forever/Returns
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Another Story
Breath of Fire I/II
Bust-A-Move
Castlevania Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Clock Tower
Darius Twin
Disney's Aladdin
Donkey Kong Country 2/3
Dragon Quest I/II/III/V/VI
Earthbound
Earthworm Jim 1/2
Equinox
F-Zero
Family Dog
Final Fantasy II/III/V/Mystic Quest
Gradius III
Harvest Moon
Illusion of Gaia
Killer Instinct
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Lufia I/II
Magical Pop'n
Mega Man 7/X/X2/X3
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Nosferatu
Panel de Pon
Pilotwings
Prince of Persia 1/2
R-Type III
Ranma 1/2 Akanekodan Teki Hihou
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Shin Megami Tensei I/II
Star Ocean
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Adventure Island 1/2
Super Bomberman 4
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu
Super R-Type
Super Smash TV
Super Street Fighter II
Tales of Phantasia
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV Turtles in Time
Tetris Attack
Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Wario's Woods
Yoshi's Cookie
Ys III/IV/V

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

poo poo I thought I had Tetris Battle Gaiden ready to go but I selected Tetris Attack instead, which upon looking up, is just the Mario-laden import of Panel de Pon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Best Buy preorder is ready to be picked up tomorrow, granted they don't slyly sell my preorder (I doubt it.) Gonna pick that poo poo up as soon as the store opens just to be safe.

If my Walmart preorder ships, I can probably pass that along to someone here at cost + shipping if anyone strikes out trying to find one tomorrow. I had it preordered for a friend who missed preorders, but we haven't talked a single time since then so best of luck buddy!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lol apparently something like 30 kids & adults rushed the line of 150+ that had formed over the past week outside of the flagship NYC Nintendo store right before they handed out wristbands for a SNES Classic and a bunch of fights broke out. Also most of the line was scalpers according to the small handful of actual Nintendo fans there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“triple sulk”" post="“476872761”"]
The local count for the closest Walmart was 22 on BS I think but it looked like about ten people were in line, though it could have wrapped around the aisle and I didn’t notice.

eBay prices go as low as 150-160 right now. It’s tempting to say gently caress it and buy one at that price instead of wasting time in line. They only make like 30-40 bucks at most at that price after eBay’s fees and shipping costs.
[/quote]

Don't be too quick to buy from eBay. Plenty of us here put in multiple preorders just to be safe (and contribute to the problem hohoho) and I wouldn't be surprised to see goons helping goons come tomorrow. I was down to pass on my 2nd preorder earlier, but my roommate's sister's birthday is next month and an SNES Classic is a no brainer gift for her.

[quote="“Astro7x”" post="“476875280”"]
Reading all these posts on various forums and twitter makes me really happy I got a pre-order and playing it right now. Like seriously, gently caress that 8 months of bullshit trying to get an NES Classic at MSRP and finally getting it on the Amazon Treasure Truck of all places.

Of course, I bought the NES so close to the SNES that my wife is like “Um, didn’t you just buy one? What’s different about this new one?
[/quote]

Uhhh, TWICE the bits? Then extremely under your breath, mumble, "dummy..."

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 29, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

At this point I'm hoping that 11 PM order of extension cables I put in for store pickup actually gets secured before the store opens because I just realized I won't be able to even play this thing without them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Bird out here sitting on top of a fire hydrant looking pretty pleased with himself.

Probably one of those god drat GEESE from Golf Story.

I hope there's a sidequest to murder geese with golf balls. I loving hate geese, and there's already been a Fight Club-esque "I want you to drive a golf ball into my face as hard as you can" quest.

Good soup! posted:

hmmmm, no emails, no updates on my order from walmart, wonder what it says?

:thumbsup:

Mine's in the same limbo, but it seems like they've pre-charged my card, so there's that at least.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 29, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This thing is tiny! Like I knew it was smaller than the original and all, but I've never seen a NES Classic in person so I was not ready. I could probably fit this thing down my dick.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I was 22 of 34 at my Walmart last night, with a ticket system, and picked it up at midnight with no hassle. The funniest thing was when we were all checking out some bro came in (I live in a college town, and he for sure had been drinking) with a Manchester United shirt on and looked REALLY confused. He says, "you guys are all here for Fifa 18?"

That happened to me when Dark Souls came out. I lived on campus that had a Gamestop in the commons area, and they did a midnight release. I showed up to nearly 100 students waiting outside the store, like wtf? This many people know that Dark Souls is gonna be the poo poo? Nope, NBA2K or some other sports game was coming out the same day. It was me and like 2 other people picking up Dark Souls.

Daveski posted:

Games > SNES Classic: I could probably fit this thing down my dick

That's from what I thought was a well-known Ventrilo spam/prank on some WoW nerds but google turns up nothin so here I am casually talking about putting things down my dick.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 29, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the hell happened with Walmart?

Two of my friends and myself ordered from there on August 25 all within minutes of each other. Got confirmations and everything. Mine is set to arrive on 10/5. Mine shipped yesterday. I have a tracking number and poo poo.

One friend has a delivery estimate of 10/3. His is still "preparing." We live in the same town so I'm surprised his hasn't started shipping yet.

My other friend had a delivery estimate for today. At some point overnight his changed from "preparing" to "backordered" and received an email stating it is now backordered.

I have no idea how they hosed up like that.

Edit: I picked up the one I ordered from GS and it's so good. Controller feels perfect. Can't believe how much of Mario World I know from memory.

Dunno, Walmart just seems all over the place. I ordered mine (just one, no shenanigans) on the 25th, they billed me on Wednesday, and it moved from Processing to Preparing Order. Hasn't changed since.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Look at this fat gently caress

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok actual SNES Classic question not related to buying one: does anyone else's unit skip certain notes in the music? Super Mario world for instance skips some notes on the intro screen that runs after the Nintendo logo.

I haven't had a chance to test it on another tv to see if the problem is my tv or sound bar but I thought I'd ask.

You know, I could've sworn I heard the same thing; a single skipped note in the SMW intro music. I wasn't paying attention at the time but I'm sensitive to stuff like that, having played music/rhythm games at a high level for half of my life.

Edit: just saw your video, oh no, it's nothing like that. No idea what would be causing that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is there a recommended extension cable for controllers? The reviews I am seeing on amazon are mixed for pretty much all of them

I just picked up the Best Buy ones (Insignia) when I picked up the SNES, they work just fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Free Drinks posted:

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but I was hopping for a more clear answer now that more people have them.

Am I able to power the thing using the usb slot in my tv? The answer I remember reading was "probably", but I don't know enough about how powering poo poo works so I'd be worried about bricking it by doing something dumb. It'd be great if I could because that would give me another three or so feet of controller cable since I could move the itty bitty thing out from the tv more.

Good lord the SNES classic is tiny. And adorable.

It draws like 0.5A, so probably any TV with a USB port could power it. Just please!!! remove it from your dick before plugging it in.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok lol, I gotta ask, what's this about?

Bemani games — besides DDR, Konami makes like a dozen other music/rhythm arcade games that don't get hardly any exposure outside of Japan. I got into DDR back in like 2001 and that was the gateway drug for me. I mainly play Beatmania IIDX and Pop'n Music. This is IIDX at top level play.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It's pretty incredible how well Donkey Kong Country aged, and what they were able to do with the original SNES hardware. Same goes for Yoshi's Island; going from Yoshi's Island to Super Mario World makes that impeccable game feel like Mario 1 in comparison.

Walmart is still "preparing order" for my second one, which is looking like pretty bad news, because the friend I was going to give it to as a birthday present next month was playing mine last night and loving it, while fawning over the prospect of the Disney games being on there.

enojy fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 1, 2017