Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Already own all the games listed on that thing, and bought one of those Blinking Light Win replacement connectors several months ago so I'm good.

But I'm gonna probably buy this anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Run emulators on a hardcore gaming PC with water cooled everything and RGB lighting all over the case so your PC looks like a disco while playing Super Mario Bros. 3.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

remember to delete your ROMs after 24 hours if you don't own the game

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

univbee posted:

Yee-haw, unofficial accessories!

The carrying case has the "Nintendo Licensed Official Product" seal, we're good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Buy a really long HDMI cable, problem solved

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

What about power, broseph?

Install electrical outlets all over your house, about a foot apart from one another.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I bought my NES Classic at a local pawn shop by random chance for it's MSRP, with the only flaw being that the HDMI cable was broken, so I'm excited to get the SNES Classic the exact same way.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

turnways posted:

Thieves ripped that NES from whatever it was attached to. Hope you enjoy your stolen goods.

It was complete-in-box and the cable was still intact, if anything I saved it from a scalper.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I once bought a complete-in-box near mint copy of Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn for $5 at a local thrift store. So maybe it was the work of an angry relative or significant other.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Just buy an actual NES or SNES console and a bunch of games back before the retro game market bubble expanded to ridiculous prices like I did, it's not hard.

You might need a time machine.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

Many many moons ago I had this black and red paperback called "How to Win at Nintendo" and I would read it cover to cover frequently...despite only owning like 3 of the covered games.

Edit:

I have a few of those Jeff Rovin books. They're all titled "How to Win at [THING]" whether it's Super Mario games or Game Boy games or whatever. They're all pretty bad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Phantasium posted:

Best buy did that for me the time they canceled a pre-order of something else hard to find, it's not that outrageous.

They'll never be #1 with that kind of attitude.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Where's the hidden cache of extra NES Classic controllers?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Game Boy Classic Edition

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Someday Sega will release a good Sega Genesis plug-and-play.

Maybe.

And there will be a lot of them in stock.

Genesis Does

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Does original star fox even hold up?

I did a playthrough of it a while ago and it's playable, but the frame rate is a headache. I like it as a weird proof-of-concept tech demo of a 3D polygonal game running on the SNES, but I wouldn't say it's good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's tacky to mod 700 games on there and wade through pages upon pages of shovelware every time you turn it on. IMO the best way to mod a NES/SNES classic is to round out the collection with the best of what's missing, not go overboard.

You never know, somebody might really want to play Where's Waldo on the NES or Bebe's Kids on the SNES.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah but Speedy Gonzalez was made by lord knows who and Illusion of Gaia was made by Enix and was so good that it was the first time in history Nintendo bought a game from another company to release.

It wasn't the first time Nintendo of America opted to publish a third-party game. Dragon Warrior 1 (Dragon Quest 1), Final Fantasy 1, Faxanadu, Nintendo World Cup, and Mega Man 6 were among some of the games during the NES era that Nintendo published instead of their original owner. Probably a few others I'm forgetting as well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Can you run a ROM that's a Super Game Boy with a ROM of a copy of Game Boy Donkey Kong on it?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ohtsam posted:

No because the super game boy was literally a super game boys innards attached to a snes cartridge board

I figured that was the case but it's been a little over a decade since I messed with emulators or ROMs in general so I didn't know if that was a thing that could be done now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

If you've modded your snes classic, Post Your List

I added just enough to fill up the thumbnail bar at the bottom, and the game choices are pretty unimpressive considering I'm curating the list as if this would've been a possible list maybe.

ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Final Fight 2
Gradius III
Pilotwings
SimCity
Tetris Attack
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

I own an actual SNES with like 100+ actual carts, I don't even know why I modded this thing or even own one

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

It's perfect for road tripping.

Actually yeah this is true.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Veib posted:

According to Wikipedia X was released before 6 in the US, which is hosed up.

By that point, Capcom was done with the NES in America, so they never bothered publishing it in the US. Nintendo ended up publishing it as part of the NES's Farewell Tour along with StarTropics 2 and Wario's Woods. Konami stuck around with the NES near the end as well, as they published a version of TMNT Tournament Fighters on the console. I think the only third-party publishers still releasing NES games in the US by that point was Atlus and I believe Taito.

I got an SNES around 1992 but I was still heavily invested in the NES near the end, mostly because games on that were much cheaper.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

GTA 1 and Persona 1 seem like they're just there because people like those franchises now, even though the breakout games for those series were their respective third entries on the PS2.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

It's almost like building your entire brand around third-parties and licensing other IPs makes trying to sell your brand's history difficult.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

GTA 1 and Persona 1 being on the PlayStation Classic would be like if Metal Gear was on the NES Classic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

PlayStation Classic is to (S)NES Classic as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is to Super Smash Bros.

Except the PS1 Classic got Cloud this time around and Big Daddy is replaced by Tom Clancy.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

RainbowShock Infinite

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

For first-party stuff, Balloon Kid, Donkey Kong '94, and Mole Mania are all pretty good. For third-party games there's Gargoyle's Quest (Capcom), Kid Dracula (Konami), and Final Fantasy Adventure (SquareEnix). The problem with trying to figure out a Game Boy Classic game list is that most retro gamers are dismissive/don't give a poo poo about the Game Boy and also the library has around a thousand games across all regions.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

A theoretical PS2 Classic would have a games list of similar quality to the PS1 Classic so expect more Fantavision and The Mark of Kri and less Ico and Sly Cooper or something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Depends on the other games. Comix Zone is the only one out of the announced games that benefits from the six-button pad as it uses the top buttons for quick item selection/use.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Having only three buttons probably disqualifies some titles from showing up on the console's remaining thirty games announcements. I can't imagine them putting in most fighting games (Eternal Champions, Street Fighter II, and/or Mortal Kombat being the more obvious picks) on the thing unless they want to recreate the horror that was playing those games on a 3-button pad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The only surprising thing about it being a 3-button pad instead of 6 is that Street Fighter II' Special Championship Edition won't be on the thing. I figured that'd be a shoe-in as far as third-party games of that era goes. If they do include it and expect people to enjoy using the start button to alternate between punches and kicks, that'd be hilarious.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are the Sega Ages games souped up versions of older games? Like with QoL additions? I thought they were arcade versions, but I might be thinking of what Nintendo was doing.

It's a mix of different games from various platforms. The QoL stuff varies from game to game, such as the aforementioned Phantasy Star stuff, and Lightening Force IV having things like an easier gameplay mode and an option to reduce (but not completely remove) slowdown that was present on the Genesis/Mega Drive original. I believe all current games even have a toggle to change between which regional version of the game you want to play. Those QoL things are completely optional if you want to play the game as default original as possible.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I mean people were playing PS1 games on the Dreamcast during the Dreamcast's lifespan. poo poo was wild in the late '90s.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I remember trying out emulators around 2000, but by this point I was already deep into collecting old games so it was more a curiosity than something I was thinking about using to replace my physical collection. It didn't help that I was comparing emulators of the time to actual hardware and the differences pushed me away from emulation for a long time. Things are a lot better these days, between CPUs being able to handle cycle-accurate emulation better than before, FPGAs, etc. But I'm still waiting for a solution to the CRT Problem. I have no idea if display technology will actually address this, or if there is a financial incentive to ever do this.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Give it a few years, but I'm sure there will be some great 8K HDR CRT filters that require a $1k+ GPU when playing your NES games at 18x scale.

Hell yeah, can't wait to have the most detailed scan lines as I wait for Mario to jump five minutes after I press the A button

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Street Fighter II being on the list makes the choice of the three-button pad over the six a real head-scratcher. Wily Wars is a nice surprise much like Super Fantasy Zone. And Ghouls 'n Ghosts is my favorite Genesis game so I'm glad that's being included. The entire list has been pretty good so far (I'd probably exchange Earthworm Jim for anything else)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm curious as to whether the western list will have any final surprises or if it'll just have some clunkers and call it a day. If Road Rash II is showing up on the Japanese list, maybe we'll get that and another EA game probably (one of the Strikes seems most likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lag probably didn't help when needing to execute jumps and such at the right moment. At least this is true for the other game franchise that has committed jumps, Ghosts 'n Goblins.