Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have what is probably a dumb question. My Classic shows up tomorrow and I'm trying to get my romset ready in hakchi. Games that get flagged by hakchi as problematic get the emulator changed on the command line, which I can see and makes sense. Other stuff, from what I'm reading, needs a --retroarch argument added to the command line, but I can't seem to figure out if it's supposed to be added to the end of a /bin/snes or bin/clover emulator call, since people only show the back half of the command. Or should I be doing /bin/clover --retroarch for problem games and not /bin/snes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought the US ones didn't have adapters, either?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The things I'm most looking forward to trying on the Classic are a few romhacks and translations. I put together a cut content one for Chrono Trigger (Chrono Trigger+), CT Crimson Echoes, Parallel Worlds Remodel, the Woolsley Uncensored FF6 patch, fixed versions of Terranigma, Lufia 2, and SD3. Also am going to throw the GBA emulator and the Mother 3 english Translation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SeANMcBAY posted:

Add Marvelous Another Treasure Island to that list. Eiji Aonuma’s first game he directed. You can totally see why Miyamoto brought him on for Zelda after playing it. Really cool charming game with a fan translation.

Good call, added!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been double checking my hashes before I patch stuff, which'll hopefully avoid issues. If you're on Windows 10, you can just open up a Powershell window (hold shift and right click the folder your files are in) and run certutil.exe from there. I just hit tab to fill in the filename.

The command is certutil.exe -hashfile <filename> MD5

The last one is whatever hash you want to use, most of the things on romhacking.net give you MD5 hashes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Snuffman posted:

Hold up. As in patched, like Illusion of Gaia, to work with the default emulator? Or using Retroarch.

Retroarch, but fixed as in NTSC and a cleaned up font. I just went with a translation on SD3 and am going to try out the Lufia 2 Fixxer patch.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 18, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I based a few of my picks off of this Reddit post, it had links to the rest of the mods. Here's the others I'm going with.

Lufia 2 Fixxer - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/229/

FF6 - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/

Parallel Worlds Remodel - https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/956/

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nice list. Bookmarked.

Does anyone know what the “canoe patch” is for Illusion of Gaia? I wish it could get a fan retranslation. I love the game but the translation is terrible.

Basically, it's a patch that fixes the stuff in the game that makes it not work on the default emulator.

I couldn't get that one from that list to work, this one does, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I didn't mind some of the new areas, but overall, the DS added stuff isn't that great. The new superboss was neat, though. I also like the encyclopedia.

I'm having issues getting the Treasure of the Rudras translation to work, anyone have that running? I'm having the same problem with Bahamut Lagoon. Nevermind, just getting a pre-patched one seemed to sort them out.

Other than that, seems like most things run just fine, even in the stock emulator. Even janky old ASM hacks like The Second Reality Project for Super Mario World.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 19, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's way better games out there, but if you want something pretty solid and obscure B.O.B. has always been a favorite of mine. Kind of a strange exploration platformer with a bunch of weapons and specials. Premise is you're a robot who crashes his dad's space car on the way to a date and has to murder his way through a bunch of levels, including some that are ripoff alien hives.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Stringbean posted:

Meh my version of Seiken Densetsu 3 ain't looking too good. Text is really pixelated to hell. That or my internal filter is on and the text always looked like poo poo.

That's the hi-res text. It needs to be run in Retroarch for now.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how to run games and make save states in retroarch, if anyone can help me there.

I'm assuming you've already got the retroarch and snes9x modules installed. From there, you just need to modify the command lines of any games you want or need to run in it. You have two options. With the latest version of hakchi and retroarch-clover, you can either add --retroarch to the end of the normal command (that starts with /bin/clover-canoe-shvc-wr -rom) or change that to /bin/snes.

Example:
code:
Before:  /bin/clover-canoe-shvc-wr -rom /usr/share/games/CLV-U-DSBPY/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_IV_-_Turtles_in_Time_(USA).sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600
After 1: /bin/clover-canoe-shvc-wr -rom /usr/share/games/CLV-U-DSBPY/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_IV_-_Turtles_in_Time_(USA).sfrom.7z --volume 100 -rollback-snapshot-period 600 --retroarch
After 2: /bin/snes /usr/share/games/CLV-U-DSBPY/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_IV_-_Turtles_in_Time_(USA).sfrom.7z
The same deal works for other systems, changing to /bin/gba for GBA games.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 19, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

FastestGunAlive posted:

The parallel worlds description is something else

"Some intellectual problems in the dark world dungeons are algorithm marvels: sure this is a good thing for math (Euclid really fits his nickname), but this is not a good thing for the player, who can easily give up."

That was why I went with Remodel. I remember the old Parallel Worlds LP, I'm hoping this is actually more accessible.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fuzz posted:

No it doesn't. I'm playing it perfectly fine on the built in emulator.

I mean, it ran for me, but the text was super blurry until I switched the emulator. Are you just doing the translation or did you add something else?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I am very much starting to be convinced that flips doesn't work for some of these translations or that I'm doing something non-obviously wrong. Half the stuff I patch seems to not work, but pre-patched ROMs are just fine.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spiffster posted:

Cocked the trigger and downloaded hackchi and loaded up the roms I had. If I’m just using snes games I don’t need Hackchi Correct? .smc and .SFC make no difference on it?

I think hackchi does conversions for roms, if you're not doing anything that doesn't run well in the stock emulator, you can just sync them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like it requires bsnes, unless Retroarch supports some sort of xml addition it needs.

On the subject of fan translations, I started up Treasure of the Rudras. T=he default names for the various arcs are Sion, Riza, and some bullshit wizard name. I started with Sion and the characters I have met so far are Huey, Foxy, and Doug. Sion and loving Doug, friends forever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Here's my list so far. The unchecked SoE is the normal edition, I have the two-player hack on the system.

Notable patches are the previously linked FF6 Woosley Uncensored, Lufa II Fixxer, and X3 Zero Project, along with a handful of translations.

I didn't have much luck with Terranigma, I have sound issues on the main menu after the canoe fix, presumably it's related to a bug in hakchi 2.21c/d/e. Haven't started on it, so plenty of time to get that working before I do with Mario coming out.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 26, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have the same issue, the menu music's super choppy on canoe.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Doesn't seem to help for me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I think that's part of it. I'm on D and have the sleep fix that someone wrote installed and it doesn't seem to help Terranigma.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I pulled the new portable down, removed the slowdown fix with 2.21d. So do I just re-sync to get the new scripts and such?

Edit: Seems to work, and I think I have the Terranigma patch working, someone did an all-in-one patch that loads and seems to have fixed music with 2.21f.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 26, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm actually only running a few games in Retroarch, a lot's been cleaned up already. Treasure of the Rudras has that hi-res blur and some romhacks are finicky. Also the GBA stuff.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I had that issue when I forgot to re-add snes9x when I was changing it for Tengai Makyou Zero, but not for anything using clover.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: so I ran out of Free HDMI ports on tv. What’s the best so,utter I can get?

My current devices:
1. Cable box
2. Apple TV
3. PS4
4. Toggling between switch and snes classic

I got one of these and it works well with my Switch, WiiU and SNES Classic. It even supports auto switching without being plugged in and CEC seems to work if the devices support it. The Switch does, but I the Classic and WiiU don't.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D6YZXG

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's not really Space Jam, no. It's actually pretty enjoyable, sort of a NBA Jam kind of game with weapons and power upside you can spend pickups on for an advantage. You can hit a guy in the face with a pie to stun them, but if you miss it goes into your own face.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, this sounds actually great.

Also? Playable Marvin the Martian, so you can dunk on fools.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fuzz posted:

So did anyone get Terranigma running with fixed sound yet?

I haven't gotten into it yet, but the menu music's fixed for me, at least. I ended up re-installing due to some USB shenanigans, but I think 2.21f fixes the sound stuff, in general. I'm using the stock canoe with the -no-lowlatency flag.

Echophonic posted:

So I pulled the new portable down, removed the slowdown fix with 2.21d. So do I just re-sync to get the new scripts and such?

Edit: Seems to work, and I think I have the Terranigma patch working, someone did an all-in-one patch that loads and seems to have fixed music with 2.21f.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think most of us spent a couple of weeks modding it, powering it on to admire our work and then moved onto other things.

Guilty. I've gotten some time into the various translated RPGs, though. Gunpuru is pretty clunky, but fun for the half an hour or so I've put into it. Treasure of the Rudras definitely has that classic Square feel, for better or worse, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ballz posted:

This compatibility doc has numerous mentions of changing preset IDs to get games to run properly. I have no idea what a preset ID is or how to change it in hakchi. Googling didn't help. Anybody got a clue?

You have to select the game and hit Ctrl+Alt+E to open the menu for that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fuzz posted:

Yes, but that patch drops the sound every 5 seconds. I meant has anyone gotten it running bug free on Canoe? We had a discussion about it a few pages back and came to the conclusion that some people just aren't noticing the glaring sound issue.

Try one of these, I know it at least has clean menu music on canoe, I haven't started the game up yet to confirm fully, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it'll do save states or the pre-installed demos, from my understanding. You can apparently write those, but that seems like a lot of work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Someone wrote a tool that converts cartridge sram saves into save data the Classic can use. Shame that a cart reader is like 50 bucks or more, it'd be cool to have my old saves on the Classic.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You need one or the other, not both. If you're calling it via /bin/snes, that's the Retroarch SNES binary. The --retroarch argument to clover does the same thing. I don't see why it wouldn't be working, though, based on what you're saying. Retroarch just ignores the --retroarch argument, far as I can tell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So, after a bit of doing, I moved a bunch of my physical cartridge saves over to my SNES classic. It's more just for the principle of the thing, since I did more Earthbound and the like on my homebrewed Wii, but it's definitely cool having my Chrono Trigger and Mario World saves on there.

A friend of mine got me a Retrode for christmas and I used the script from here. Just had to pass it the ID from hakchi and it made an importable save state.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Has anyone switched from an older Hakchi2 build to the CE setup? I wanted to make sure I wasn't loving anything up if I switched over.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's a shame it can't detect stuff already on the system as part of the sync.

I suppose I'd also need to make sure I reinstalled the right hmods for the other emulators, too. It took me a while to get GBA saving and arcade stuff to work, so I'd hate to have to do that again.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spellman posted:

The N64 was severely underrepresented on the VC, seemingly indiscriminately, so I'm not sure, but I'd expect some surprises

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rare IPs, particularly Banjo, since Microsoft has shown some willingness in allowing them

It's basically free money for them, since they don't really do console exclusives anymore, so who knows.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

njsykora posted:

It's a bad Android box with a controller that makes 90s MadCatz stuff look like the Xbox Elite.

How dare you speak of the Stradivarius of controllers in such a way!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D6YZXG/

Works just fine either powered or unpowered, but I do have it plugged in. I have my SNES Classic, my Switch, my PS3, my Gamecube (using a Carby), and my RetroTINK2x. Handles switching just fine and I've never noticed lag. I think a TV's scaler would introduce more lag than a switcher ever could. But that's not something you really need to worry about with the Classic et al since they output normal video rather than garbage from the 90s.

Only thing I'd change is having it powered over USB rather than eating a port on my power strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Astro7x posted:

Does that switcher changer automatically as you power on each system?

Yeah, it does auto-switching. Works about how one would expect. Not sure how it handles stuff like cable boxes that always output, though, since I only have consoles hooked up. Even handles HDMI-CEC for the Switch turning on my TV.