Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can buy Walt exploiting Lydia's obsessive compulsion to poison her. I had absolutely no problem with that.

Until someone last page pointed out her and Todd are not at Lydia's usual seat.

Now, practically, I think this was because they couldn't get the shot they wanted from her usual booth. Lydia on one side, Todd on another, and Walt perpendicular facing toward the camera. You would have to film from outside to get that shot in the two seater booths, and the scene was probably too long for such a gimmicky shot. I guess practicality and cinematography just beat out concerns for consistency. But given how that plot point hinges on Walt exploiting Lydia's predictability, it really undermines the scene for me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, Micheal McKean as the weirdo cell phone paranoid dude. I haven't been able to figure out the deal with him and his former law firm; like what he did, why he's on leave and how Saul happens to be representing him and sleeping on his couch.

I'm sure you've figured it out if you watched another episode or two, but Michael McKean's character, Chuck, is Jimmy's brother. And the reason he's on leave is because of his paranoia about EM fields (hence the phone thing). Jimmy was trying to encourage his brother to cash out big (because his condition prevents him from working), while the firm was paying Chuck as if he were still working/temporarily absent. And that's the set up for the first major plot, and should explain why Jimmy helps him out and sleeps on his couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Last Chance posted:

It's the same seat each time except for when Lydia gets spooked and sits in a different seat from Todd, but that wasn't the time with Walt + the Ricin

Well gently caress. I had always remembered it as a booth next to the window like you see in many diners.

I'm bad at watching TV I guess.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

sticklefifer posted:

No, it's literally not murder. Wrongful death at best, maybe a manslaughter charge. But no court would convict him of murder.

Given her death occurred during the commission of multiple felonies, he almost certainly would be liable for her death in many jurisdictions.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I disagree that the writers are being lazy/feeling no pressure to keep things moving. The pacing is perfectly suited to a House of Cards style release cycle, as it's a much slower burn than Breaking Bad. I think their approach to the show just changed when it became apparent the show would last more than a season; but you're right in that they handled the retcon rather clumsily.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Did Gus order Tomas murder? Gus seems appalled at the suggestion, but Walt appears to call his bluff, 'I would never ask you that.' It's not really confirmed one way or the other- but the body being left in the open makes it seem like a blatant attempt to provoke Jessie into getting himself killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It strikes me as odd that Mike would stand by him following that scene. I know he's pragmatic, but he seems to have a particularly large chip on his shoulder for abusing the defenceless.

It does work in the favour of the 'Gus ordered Tomas murder' theory though.

• Locked thread