Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Murdering someone is not morally grey thanks.

Have you ever examined a trolley problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think for a lot of people it was when Walt poisoned Brock. And it probably had a lot to do with the delivery because most of the time you're with Walt the whole time he's engaging in possibly immoral shenanigans. The story is very forthright in everything Walt does. But in this case you're just kind of believing in Walt, wanting Jesse to put down the gun. Gus is primo villain at this point, he's threatening Walt's family, he's got a rap sheet for using kids in his drug trade.

And then they brilliantly show the Lily of the Valley, and you feel like you got scammed for believing in Walt, and it's such a "you son of a bitch" moment that it's when the lion's share of Walt supporters jumped off it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There's a really good breakdown of Vic Mackey from The Shield talked about by his actor, Michael Chiklis, and he kind of explains how people can like a character like Vic, who shares some commonalities with Walt. I wouldn't watch this if you don't want to hear spoilers for the pilot for The Shield. But Vic does a fairly dark thing in the first episode that sets the course of the show for the rest of the series.

In the video he talks about how when he showed the pilot to his family, half of them were like, oh my god, you're the villain in this show, after he kills a cop. But the other half of the family says "yea but the cop was a rat!" And he goes on to explain that people are able to justify things like that if their heart is in the right place, and how we compartmentalize certain behaviors to justify others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt70zsWKUGU

If you've never watched it, and you're a fan of Breaking Bad, it honestly has the same spirit as BrBa and you should definitely watch it. It's got funny characters, violence and drama — it's great.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The early episodes just kind of show her as a controlling/wearing-the-pants in the family wife and it's presumably been going on for the entirety of the marriage. Some people like that in a partner. Walt will contently eat veggie bacon on his 50th birthday.

Some people can live with someone else calling all the shots. The talking pillow scene was the biggest exposition of how complacent he's been about it. The whole scene wasn't meant as a polite dialog between Skyler and Walt's opinions on what to do, it was Skyler getting the family together to make Walt choose cancer treatment against his judgement. And then Walt eventually gets the chance to talk and he basically spells out for you how his life had been up to that point. It likely wasn't the first time that a decision was made for Walt under the guise of giving him a choice. It doesn't feel honest.

Most people don't really get that dynamic in a relationship. Those characteristics of Skyler aren't exactly what everyone is clamoring for in a person, and many people would find those qualities annoying if they witnessed them happening in someone else's relationship. They're not inherently bad, but they're really annoying if you're not compatible with that lifestyle.

She'll quietly go return a tiara she receives as a gift and when she's reprimanded for it being stolen, she'll put on an act that she's going in to labor, and now she has to confront her situation and… she puts herself in a lot of uncomfortable confrontations that if she had some chill, would've never happened. That she ended up exposing someone else's lie in the end doesn't really change that the situation would've caused no strain in their family had she not attempted to confront it.

Walt lies in spite of his family for himself, but his actions aren't supposed to be at direct odds with them. Walt gets a pass with viewers because people like that more, not because it's right or wrong.

Skyler was consistently written well, and played it well, but she wasn't written to be likable. If you can relate to her or sympathize with her motivations, that's cool, she was written like a real person. But I think not understanding why people dislike Skyler is a huge misunderstanding of what this show was going for. The Q was always going to be how long can you dislike Skyler in spite of Walt's criminal and immoral activity.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Walt and Jesse high-fiving in the RV when they cook a half-a-million worth of meth each, and the proceeding downfall when the RV refuses to start. The exhaustion between the two of them and the relief when both of them are getting home alive is one of my favorites.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Whenever Walt acts goofy, I always think of him as Hal. Like when he stands up to the police officer, or when he's trying to cover up the gasoline spill in his house, I can just imagine him acting like that on Malcolm in the Middle. Walt just looks really funny when he has to run around.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BCS has some interesting characters, but it feels like the story is running on a treadmill. And episodes seem boring, and quiet. I miss the amazing songs they picked for Breaking Bad.

It has the production quality of endgame Breaking Bad. But it is dryyyyyyyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

The legal stuff moves super slowly. But the show isn't really about that, it's about the characters who happen to be involved in the legal stuff, and every episode is CRAMMED with rich character moments. Like, as the first season built to its climax I was sure the retirement home thing was gonna come to a head in a big dramatic event. Instead it's just a backdrop to the actual important stuff, the relationships between all these people. It's a lot like the Sopranos in that respect, another show that got frequent complaints about being too slow.

It definitely isn't Breaking Bad Too. Again, I almost feel like it would be more successful if it didn't have Breaking Bad's shadow looming over it. The first few episodes also made it seem more like it was gonna be about wacky capers which didn't help.

I know what it's trying to do, I just don't think it's working. It just seems like every time a horrific or nefarious thing happens between Jimmy and Chuck, everything just goes back to the way it was the next episode. Even their relationship, soured by the revelation that Chuck has been, for years, sabotaging his opportunities at Hamlin & McGill, Jimmy is back to caring about Chuck every other episode. Or Chuck brains himself in the print shop, has a traumatic experience in the ward (amazing scene by the way), and then he's just back home, being crazy as usual.

There was this interview Vince had regarding the first episode of Breaking Bad, and how the first cut of the pilot had a ton of music, and was scaled back in future episodes. But music was a prominent part of almost every episode, regardless. I can still remember montages of the meth cooks, looking for Walt when he was missing, Jesse's heroin trip, and some of the original Dave Porter music that played during the action segments. In Saul we get a nearly 6 minute scene of Mike breaking into the Kettleman's house to some forgettable track. [BCS rationale for the less reliance on music] Like I say, the show is pretty, but, while I don't think going into it with Breaking Bad-level expectations on the action front is a good idea, it should at least be entertaining. Long, drawn out scenes, many of which have long spats of silence get frustrating. There's not enough fun to cushion out those dramatic beats.

And I actually think the reverse is happening; the show receiving much undue praise because it spun off from Breaking Bad. But it's not the actors, or the cinematography that's bugging me. It's the seeming lack of forward-motion that's really slowing the whole thing down. Great individual character moments I agree, but, taxing when they're back to back to back. Back end of Season 2 has improved though. Mike & Nacho's relationship, and their tension with the cartel has introduced some engaging problems. I just hope it doesn't fizzle out.

Not trying to turn anyone off of watching though. It's a good AMC show. Just not great.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread