Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth, Skylar wasn't a well-liked character because she's boring for the first season and a half because the writers gave her nothing to do. It's exactly that simple--once she got stuff to do, she stopped being an insufferable nag (and just became an rear end in a top hat).

It's stupid to call all criticism of Skylar misogyny just as much as it is stupid to call Skylar nothing but a miserable nagging oval office. It's exactly that simple also.

BiggerBoat posted:

RJ Mitte as Walt Jr. is very underrated too. It's a testament to his talent that what could have been a stereotypical "one dimensional retarded kid" is played with a lot of nuance. The way the writers treat his handicap as just one facet of his personality instead of his entire identity is delivered really well by Mitte.

Mitte actually suffers the condition that Walt Jr. suffers in the show, but to a much more reduced degree. He actually forwent sleep to make his symptoms worse and threw himself intensely into the role. He particularly wanted to bring awareness to his condition and be a sort of role models to others in his position. It's incredibly laudable that he was cast because another popular show at the time, Glee, featured a wheelchair-bound character whose actor I do believe is not handicapped--in fact, I think he even has a dance number in one of the movies, though I am basing this on second hand knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is not why she was disliked, people don't dislike boring characters they forget they exist.

Not if that character is given a lot of focus. You're thinking of Marie--a boring character who suffers from being inconsequential to the main plot. Skylar is not only boring, she's literally only utilized to nag at Walt, to play at "finding him out" at points where it's pretty obvious she's not going to. She's a fine actress, it's clear why Anna Gunn got as much screen time as she did, but she doesn't move the plot nor advance any of the intrigues. It's not really anyone's fault by the writers as far as I see it. And after Season 3, you've enough to go on to make a choice of liking or disliking Skylar based upon her actions. She behaves foolishly, I think, but believably so.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I can't imagine why the wife of a school teacher would be concerned that her husband was buying pot from a former student.

No way he could get in trouble at work for that.

That being said, Sky is definitely a very controlling wife as depicted in season 1; she's not doing so in any malicious way, but the way their life has gone, Walt is thoroughly henpecked and you can see clearly that he's had a lot of his agency around the household supplanted by his wife's wishes. It's one of the factors that contributes to him falling in love with the thrill of his criminal lifestyle. When she starts losing control, she reacts negatively, leading to Ted and then to her own criminal dealings. She goes from anger to guilt to fear and has her own journey in the later half of the show, but early on she's just kind of a mother hen who is starting to notice that the rooster's gone from the house a lot.

• Locked thread