Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I started rewatching it this weekend and am up to near the end of season 2. The thing that gets to me every rewatch is wondering how Hank never even thought of Walt as a suspect until he stumbled onto irrefutable evidence (side note: how stupid was Walt to leave something like that around? Gus was right in season 2 - Walt isn't a cautious person at all). Like the whole way through the first couple seasons the profile of Heisenberg is someone great at chemistry, inexperienced as a criminal, and is assumed (I think) to have stolen equipment from Walt's lab. I know it's mostly not wanting to think like that about family, and I can excuse giving Walt the benefit of the doubt the first couple incidents, but it eventually gets pretty ridiculous. How could they not even discuss the possibility that it might be Walt?

For all Hank's good qualities, he wasn't really that great at his job. The Tuco thing happened by chance, and the one of the few things he did get right (Pinkman and the trailer) he screwed up by going to the junkyard alone and then further later by beating up Jesse. He was also right about Gus, but could never actually prove anything until it was too late. Overall I think Walt's success had far less to do with his intelligence, cunning and ruthlessness than it did with the DEA's incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Really it all comes down to Jessie as the main reason Jane died. He got her back into drugs, he told her about the meth business and made her a threat to Walt, so it was inevitable she was going to die. If Walt had saved her she would have just died some time later in a similar way anyway. They were never going to go to New Zealand and be bush pilot artists or whatever, they would just do what addicts do when they get a ton of money.

Of course it was still terrible for Walt to not act, but it's not really even close to the worst thing he did morally.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

Not only was his "family" never brought up

It kind of was - when he describes the stew he's making he mentions he can never make it because the kids won't eat it.

• Locked thread