Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Born an administrator's son in the 12th century in Southern Spain, Ibn Jubayr, a devout Muslim, was once forced to drink seven glasses of wine by a regional official. The official soon regretted his act and as recompense gave Jubayr seven of the same glasses filled with golden dinars. With this windfall sum in his pocket and sense of shame in his heart Ibn Jubayr decided to make the Hajj.

This was during a high water mark in the history of Islam. Saladin had recently consolidated his hold on the Arab world, becoming Sultan. Mamluks made trade through much of northern Africa safe and expedient. Muslim rulers, including Saladin, were in an unprecedented era of philanthropy, giving to seemingly any infrastructural, educational or charitable cause and doing so generously.

Ibn Jubayr departed from Ceuta by ship, covering much of the Mediterranean by sea, then visiting counter clockwise the great cities of Egypt and the Muslim world:

He kept a travelogue that mixed personal observation and feelings with notes of monuments, rulers, trends, and the ebb and flow of the influence of Christianity and Islam throughout the region. When he reached the city of Damascus, on of his last major stops in the Arab world, he had this to say:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

IM FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL EM ALL!!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Deus Vult saracen

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Kill more people.

In more places.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Damascus is one of if not the longest continually populated city on earth, if you can recall an empire it has probably ruled over damascus, from alexander to zoroaster

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Pay me an equal volume of gold to how much wine I can drink and I'll go to Damascus tomorrow.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
There is a loving gnat on my screen and I can't get it off, please send help.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
i'm wiggling my cursor furiously for you is it doing anything?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat,rear end, cuss.zoroaster?barelt knew here! the katana in my room is forged of damascus steel;would that isis faced me instead,and felt in their guts the whorls of my blade.alexander? barly knew her!!!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

drat,rear end, cuss.zoroaster?barelt knew here! the katana in my room is forged of damascus steel;would that isis faced me instead,and felt in their guts the whorls of my blade.alexander? barly knew her!!!

AHHH

AHHHHG

AUUUGGHHH

ITS
M

FFF

THE

PERFECT

POST!!!!!

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
it is cool to me that nobody can figure out how damascus steel was made

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Shaquin posted:

lol

quote:

Cast Damascus steel, known as wootz, was popular in the East. It's produced by melting pieces of iron and steel with charcoal in a reducing atmosphere (lacking oxygen). During the process, the metals absorb carbon from the charcoal and the resulting alloy is cooled at a very slow rate.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The mascus. Saying da mascus makes you sound ignorant.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chief McHeath posted:

The mascus. Saying da mascus makes you sound ignorant.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The only cool person to make the hajj and also live in Damascus is Sir Richard Francis Burton.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Orkin Mang posted:

alaalalallllaaalllllaaahhhhhh

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Loss of the technique[edit]
Production of these patterned swords gradually declined, ceasing by around 1750, and the process was lost to metalsmiths. Several modern theories have ventured to explain this decline, including the breakdown of trade routes to supply the needed metals, the lack of trace impurities in the metals, the possible loss of knowledge on the crafting techniques through secrecy and lack of transmission, suppression of the industry in India by the British Raj,[15] or a combination of all the above.[5][6][16]

The original Damascus steel or wootz was imported from India to Damascus, where bladesmiths learned how to forge them into swords.[5][6] Due to the distance of trade for this steel, a sufficiently lengthy disruption of the trade routes could have ended the production of Damascus steel and eventually led to the loss of the technique in India. As well, the need for key trace impurities of tungsten or vanadium within the materials needed for production of the steel may be absent if this material was acquired from different production regions or smelted from ores lacking these key trace elements.[5] The technique for controlled thermal cycling after the initial forging at a specific temperature could also have been lost, thereby preventing the final damask pattern in the steel from occurring.[5][6]

The discovery of carbon nanotubes in the Damascus steel's composition supports this hypothesis, since the precipitation of carbon nanotubes probably resulted from a specific process that may be difficult to replicate should the production technique or raw materials used be significantly altered.[16]

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
you fukken clown

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

dethkon posted:

There's a skeeter on my peter, brush it off.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Shaquin posted:

you fukken clown

yeah you keep believing there is some magical property that isn't regularly recreated by skilled craftsmen all over. i've seen it forged IRL, same pretty pattern, this poo poo

quote:

The technique for controlled thermal cycling after the initial forging at a specific temperature could also have been lost, thereby preventing the final damask pattern in the steel from occurring.[5][6]

The discovery of carbon nanotubes in the Damascus steel's composition supports this hypothesis, since the precipitation of carbon nanotubes probably resulted from a specific process that may be difficult to replicate should the production technique or raw materials used be significantly altered.[16]
is all bs

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

alaalalallllaaalllllaaahhhhhh

the yodel of the east. so beautiful

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

the yodel of the east. so beautiful

Respect the yodel.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shaquin posted:

Loss of the technique[edit]
Production of these patterned swords gradually declined, ceasing by around 1750, and the process was lost to metalsmiths. Several modern theories have ventured to explain this decline, including the breakdown of trade routes to supply the needed metals, the lack of trace impurities in the metals, the possible loss of knowledge on the crafting techniques through secrecy and lack of transmission, suppression of the industry in India by the British Raj,[15] or a combination of all the above.[5][6][16]

The original Damascus steel or wootz was imported from India to Damascus, where bladesmiths learned how to forge them into swords.[5][6] Due to the distance of trade for this steel, a sufficiently lengthy disruption of the trade routes could have ended the production of Damascus steel and eventually led to the loss of the technique in India. As well, the need for key trace impurities of tungsten or vanadium within the materials needed for production of the steel may be absent if this material was acquired from different production regions or smelted from ores lacking these key trace elements.[5] The technique for controlled thermal cycling after the initial forging at a specific temperature could also have been lost, thereby preventing the final damask pattern in the steel from occurring.[5][6]

Could have been the west was importing a much cheaper but lesser quality item that put them out of business.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Shaquin posted:

people still make damascus steel today, the only mystery might be exact ancient methods because nobody wrote down a guide and preserved it, and if it was actually first in damascus or if that just happens to be where it was attributed to later on

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Nation posted:

Damascus is one of if not the longest continually populated city on earth, if you can recall an empire it has probably ruled over damascus, from alexander to zoroaster

Jericho is signifacantly older.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

H.H posted:

Jericho is signifacantly older.

not continually populated tho which is what i specifically said OMG you loving dunce LEARN TO READ

PatriotPete
Jul 14, 2016

Get fucked lefties
Does this mean that all cultures aren't equal after all?

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
im glad he had a good trip :)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

dethkon posted:

Try using a slow, constant stroking motion, and more lube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
if i can't pronouce it i sure a sfuck aint' gonna visit it gently caress you op

• Locked thread