Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

rear end cobra posted:

Is Cinema Discusso still there?

The other day the cd mod admitted to never having seen dr strangelove. Who does the vetting here, for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

Confounding Factor posted:

the queen alien is more human than the humans.

but seriously the film is terrible on every level. i dont really care it has nothing to do with the atmosphere/horror of the first film, but jesus atleast make it good.

game over man is cringe

It's good when you're ten years old (or less). Considering the merchandising after that film (action figures, comics, etc) that's exactly what they were aiming for.

I really enjoy the awfulness that is Alien Res, though. :allears:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ilikedirt posted:

posting is aform of art;

haven't seen you in ages glad you're Sill post it

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
just watched eXistenZ for the third time in as many days
(gotta make use of that rental period)

gonna see if I can't find that latest Verhoeven flick

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tumble posted:

Nah, his stuff just makes people uncomfortable, but it's good. Spring Breakers owns.

Spring Breakers only works because of Franco's commitment to Alien and the stunt casting of Disney tweens in bikinis. Everything he does is just " what if a retard had AIDS then raped a baby and that baby raped other babies then ate some poo poo and pooped out that poo poo then hosed the poo poo and gave it AIDS hey society look at the mirror I'm holding up to your face".

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

lol @ talkin about films as art and not even mentioning fellini

he used letters to include korine instead of bergman what did you expect

leone

corbucci

bob cat gold tihwhatih

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I thought you knuckleheads would understand why Korine goes in that set ahead of Fellini or Leone but I was wrong

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Spring Breakers only works because of Franco's commitment to Alien and the stunt casting of Disney tweens in bikinis. Everything he does is just " what if a retard had AIDS then raped a baby and that baby raped other babies then ate some poo poo and pooped out that poo poo then hosed the poo poo and gave it AIDS hey society look at the mirror I'm holding up to your face".

Fail

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Ethan and Joe Coen, aka the Coen Brothers

Tim Burton & his spooky recurring cast

Quentin Tarantino & himself & cusses

the Wachowski Brothers Siblings Starship Sisters

These are all directors that have now been named, from a more modern era.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Spring Breakers only works because of Franco's commitment to Alien and the stunt casting of Disney tweens in bikinis.

Well yea, Franco's "Alien" was an awesome character, and the whole Disney Princess aspect of casting was great too; you basically watched girls who grew up being watched by tweens 'Break Bad' due to their own characters perceived struggles. It's a very interesting film that sees Korine mature his viewpoints on...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Everything he does is just " what if a retard had AIDS then raped a baby and that baby raped other babies then ate some poo poo and pooped out that poo poo then hosed the poo poo and gave it AIDS hey society look at the mirror I'm holding up to your face".

Oh crap, you're actually kinda dumb.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 16, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Who the gently caress is Alien, man?

Zef Side Represent

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
how is alien isolation? got it a few days ago but havent played it yet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BirryJoru posted:

I keep meaning to watch this but I get drunk instead

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hey, Spring Breakers is a goddamn masterpiece.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The other day the cd mod admitted to never having seen dr strangelove. Who does the vetting here, for real

what the gently caress

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

cronenberg still makes good movies idiot

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Hey, Spring Breakers is a goddamn masterpiece.

what the gently caress

its loving july. Spring break is months ago

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

BirryJoru posted:

the tooth gun has hosed me up pretty much for the rest of my life

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Comic books have ruined the movie industry.
the only industry that plans anything in a span of time longer than the next quarterly earnings report is the movie industry with comic book movies

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Comic book movies are the lowest point in Western civilization

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Wizard Master posted:

But Superheroes movies... those are what audiences crave-!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
As someone with a film degree I can tell you Jean Luc Godard is the best director.

Until he made all those films that sucked, but he used to be real real good

Allon-y Allon-zo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Wizard Master posted:

well hold onto your butts because the blockbuster success of the Warcraft movie in China means every video game franchise is going to get a movie

imagine: Call of Duty: The Movie :unsmigghh:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the Super Mario Bros movie was a classic. Shame it went over the heads of so many audiences.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Nooner posted:

As someone with a film degree I can tell you Jean Luc Godard is the best director.

Until he made all those films that sucked, but he used to be real real good

Allon-y Allon-zo

I've seen Alphaville and Pierrot le Fou and loved both of them. I want to see more but it's hard to choose because the dude made (makes?) a shitton of movies. Any recommendations?

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
Godard is a snore. That movie he made with Brigette Bardot looking pretty & pouting over some slight for 110 minutes was the most boring time of my life.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Your Gay Uncle posted:

spring breakers was the best movie of 2012 lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've given up on Godard.

I like Breathless and Pierrot le Fou, but Contempt, Week End, My Life to Live, and Masculin Feminin left me cold. The bits of his later films I've seen look pointless.

Truffaut is a lot more fun. The 400 Blows, Shoot the Piano Player, and Day for Night are absolute masterpieces.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Godard's greatest achievement was marrying Anna Karina

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Dogmeat posted:

I've seen Alphaville and Pierrot le Fou and loved both of them. I want to see more but it's hard to choose because the dude made (makes?) a shitton of movies. Any recommendations?

Breathless and une femme est une femme are really good, also yeah not a lot of people have seen alphaville I guess but I really liked it as well.

also

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Godard's greatest achievement was marrying Anna Karina

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like Breathless, Vivre sa Vie and Masculine Feminine and that's about it.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
i also liked bande a part when i saw it, it may have been poo poo i was 17

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jean-Pierre Melville is another great French director.

Le cercle rouge, Le Samourai, and Army of Shadows are incredible.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
the only french movie is fantomas

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Melville is good, I agree.

Honorary mention to Jules Dassin

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I enjoy the cinema of cboyardee

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
I watched Flesh + Blood instead because it was free and hadn't seen it before
it was pretty good

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Nooner posted:

Breathless and une femme est une femme are really good, also yeah not a lot of people have seen alphaville I guess but I really liked it as well.

also

Alphaville is pretty out there. Having grown up on 80's and 90's movies it seems weird that it's generally accepted as a sci-fi movie, but I get it.

I figured I'd check out Breathless, what with it kicking off his career, but otherwise my plan was to stick with his work that Anna Karina is in and that seems like a good course.

As far as contemporary stuff goes I really liked Valhalla Rising. A cursory knowledge of viking myths and history definitely help. The scenery and cinematography are loving on point though. Mads Mekkelsen stars (but never speaks) and Nicolas Winding Refn wrote and directed it and those two seem fairly popular around here if that helps.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

the only french movie is fantomas

I watched three of Louis Feuillade's 1910s serials in a row a while ago. Fantomas, Les Vampires, and Judex. They may be a century old, but they're awesome.

Judex is probably the best one. He trolls the bad guys via a French poodle that walks upright, with a message attached to its collar that they are losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

lol @ talkin about films as art and not even mentioning fellini

8 1/2 is overrated but I like La Dolce Vita the more I see it.

LLeGGo posted:

we'd get more movies like Under the Skin

Yeah that movie is very 2001-ish in a way. The thing I hated about it was the pointless walking. Otherwise the seduction sequences and those two dudes turning into loose skin was pretty great. I liked the opening sequence

BirryJoru posted:

yeah i need to watch existenz, its not on netflix streaming is it?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Everything he does is just " what if a retard had AIDS then raped a baby and that baby raped other babies then ate some poo poo and pooped out that poo poo then hosed the poo poo and gave it AIDS hey society look at the mirror I'm holding up to your face".
Err what? i dont care if you dont like spring breakers but this is weak.

james franco as alien rules. a travesty by the academy of hack critics not to give him an oscar

• Locked thread