Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does IT mention the demon stuff to the old man to put him at ease, in a sense? I could see a dude all into paranormal stuff or tied up in Judeo-Christian lore becoming more fascinated than frightened at that point. It would be an advanced level lure. I guess he only does kids, though.

the very first kill when it wakes in the 80s is an adult (a gay guy thrown off a bridge by homophobes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
so apparently nudes of leslie jones not only exist, but have been leaked to the internet

rabbis will be debating which is the more heinous crime for a thousand years

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Im kinda disappointed Sausage Party is doing well
i'm completely shocked that it was so widely loved by critics. i guess their expectations for what constitutes a non-childrens' animated movie is so low that any piece of poo poo with a PG-13 or R rating would get an instant good review. at least that's what i gathered from the four positive reviews i read for it, because each one contained a different thing that was astonishingly stupid

just watch Beavis and Butthead Do America instead. it's on Netflix streaming so there's no excuse to pay $12 to watch a worse animated movie for mature audiences

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

i'm completely shocked that it was so widely loved by critics. i guess their expectations for what constitutes a non-childrens' animated movie is so low that any piece of poo poo with a PG-13 or R rating would get an instant good review. at least that's what i gathered from the four positive reviews i read for it, because each one contained a different thing that was astonishingly stupid

Because it's an atheism-to-organized-religion takedown with the self-awareness that atheists are often pushy assholes, so it gets a +1 with a lot of critics right there.

It also commits with full-heartedness to every inch of its premise whether it's the blatant religion/atheism metaphor, the wholesale "murder" of food, food murdering people, or a gigantic food orgy. There are many flawed, stupid, and awful things about that movie, but you can't say that anyone making the movie is phoning it in and that garners another level of respect.

I'm more surprised that audiences are rewarding it than anything. Not because normal audiences are stupid, but rather the opposite. Everything about Sausage Party screams "For 13 year-olds only do not touch."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/18/lesbian-website-apologizes-for-liking-salma-hayek-as-animated-gay-taco/

http://www.autostraddle.com/we-messed-up-348709/

I'm Salma Hayek's Racist Taco.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've been trying to think what catchphrases IT has and it's mostly "We all float down here" so expect that to some sick music while the clown is leading a demon army or something equally as idiotic.

Pennywise and his demon army line up against the heroes in a spacious, green-lit sewer set littered with destructible environment hazards. They start to run slowly at each other, then break into a run, and as they punch each other "Float On" by Modest Mouse starts playing. This scene is shown at the end of each theatrical trailer right before a deafening "whoom" sound heralds "IT" in white Times New Roman receding into a black background. Rated R for swearing and nudity.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Mr. Jive posted:

Pennywise and his demon army line up against the heroes in a spacious, green-lit sewer set littered with destructible environment hazards. They start to run slowly at each other, then break into a run, and as they punch each other "Float On" by Modest Mouse starts playing. This scene is shown at the end of each theatrical trailer right before a deafening "whoom" sound heralds "IT" in white Times New Roman receding into a black background. Rated R for swearing and nudity.

Don't forget that the heroes will summon their own army when they learn how to use pennywise's apparition powers, so you'll have batman / superman / lebron james / whoever else show up to fight the demon army, folding this into the "Cinematic Universe"

Dubstep will be involved

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Y-Hat posted:

It's currently on track to run just shy of $100 million domestically, it's doing great business. 2016 has been a massive year for animated movies (they've made more than $1.5 billion domestically so far) as well as R-rated films with Deadpool's record breaking success so expect to see a whoooole bunch more R-rated animated films just like Sausage Party flooding cinemas in a year or two.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lol at the chat logs.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Everything I've heard about the inner-workings of Sausage Party has been awful, from Seth Rogen using it as a vehicle to get his friends as much easy money as possible (a la Adam Sandler), to the animators being mistreated. I wish the movie flopped from how bad a precedent it sets.

Woden
May 6, 2006

The Grimace posted:

Everything I've heard about the inner-workings of Sausage Party has been awful, from Seth Rogen using it as a vehicle to get his friends as much easy money as possible (a la Adam Sandler), to the animators being mistreated. I wish the movie flopped from how bad a precedent it sets.

Similar poo poo happened with Rick and Morty didn't it?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Woden posted:

Similar poo poo happened with Rick and Morty didn't it?

Only the animators part, and it's been settled in the end.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

late reply but can anyone imagine Mel Brooks actually making another movie?

An all tranny cast in blackface acting in a modern take on Fiddler on the Roof, but the whole thing is CGI and set in space.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's currently on track to run just shy of $100 million domestically, it's doing great business. 2016 has been a massive year for animated movies (they've made more than $1.5 billion domestically so far) as well as R-rated films with Deadpool's record breaking success so expect to see a whoooole bunch more R-rated animated films just like Sausage Party flooding cinemas in a year or two.

I wonder if between the success of relatively low-budget non-family films, the success of movies without the foreign market, the failure of movies that NEED the foreign market and other issues, if we'll see a resurgence in lower-budget, R-rated fare, that is more laser focused on making their product for the US if that trend can keep up. (We say that just about every year, though, when a handful of low budget films do really well vs a lot of notable flops.)

As a side note, I wonder if a Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, going back to the tone of the funny Freddy era, would be a lot more acceptable now. A low-budget, fun(ny) gore horror flick with a hard R after the success of Deadpool would maybe work with modern audiences if you amped up the Freddy humor and maybe made 90% of his victims rear end in a top hat teenagers who deserve it. Freddy's a god-damned superhero.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Oh god, I hope we can start getting R rated horror films on the reg in theaters again. This PG-13 poo poo is murdering my balls.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

As a side note, I wonder if a Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, going back to the tone of the funny Freddy era, would be a lot more acceptable now. A low-budget, fun(ny) gore horror flick with a hard R after the success of Deadpool would maybe work with modern audiences if you amped up the Freddy humor and maybe made 90% of his victims rear end in a top hat teenagers who deserve it. Freddy's a god-damned superhero.

Yes please.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh god, I hope we can start getting R rated horror films on the reg in theaters again. This PG-13 poo poo is murdering my balls.

Can you make them reliably more profitable than PG-13 movies? No? Then lay back and take it baby.

Again the problem is-- can you reliably prove that an R-Rated horror comedy would bring reliable box office, especially once the year-in/year-out novelty of kids dying in dream sequences wears out?

Deadpool is the definition of the exception that proves the rule, and I'm still not sure where all the box office came from unless his hardcore fans are even more pathetic than I thought and paid to see it 3 times a piece or more likely theaters started slacking because young teenagers were always that movie's bread and butter.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Can you make them reliably more profitable than PG-13 movies? No? Then lay back and take it baby.

Again the problem is-- can you reliably prove that an R-Rated horror comedy would bring reliable box office, especially once the year-in/year-out novelty of kids dying in dream sequences wears out?

Deadpool is the definition of the exception that proves the rule, and I'm still not sure where all the box office came from unless his hardcore fans are even more pathetic than I thought and paid to see it 3 times a piece or more likely theaters started slacking because young teenagers were always that movie's bread and butter.

Deadpool had a lot of advertising and buzz even before hitting the theaters so that may have helped. Just like the fact that the market is saturated with hero movies, so that too may have worked in its favor. Still surprised a lot of people though.

And I think an R-horror comedy, like a new Nightmare on Elm Street, could work. The studio would just need to have the right expectations for it. Probably wouldn't have a huge budget either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

I don't need to see those movies in theatres... But whatever happened to the adult horror exploitation direct to video genre? Has it been swallowed by the trend of "AAA picture or nothing"? Is there currently no place for B movies, because even those are deemed too risky by major studios, and the cost of accessing the market as an independent movie producer is too high, with too low returns to keep the seedy movie industry going?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Counterpoint, as a viewer / consumer I don't give a poo poo about any of that and just want to see what I want to see, regardless. :v:

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
u dressed up as barney for attention and gently caress ugly women and are obsessed with balling but would piss urself in a real fight

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

steinrokkan posted:

But whatever happened to the adult horror exploitation direct to video genre?

Look at this guy who doesn't watch Netflix. There's 10 b-grade horror movies for every big release.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 25, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I don't need to see those movies in theatres... But whatever happened to the adult horror exploitation direct to video genre? Has it been swallowed by the trend of "AAA picture or nothing"? Is there currently no place for B movies, because even those are deemed too risky by major studios, and the cost of accessing the market as an independent movie producer is too high, with too low returns to keep the seedy movie industry going?

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't watch Netflix. There's 10 b-grade horror movies for every big release.

This. Schlock of all sorts is still being made, it just can't afford distribution costs and the channels are more diverse than ever.

The problem is that thanks to the rise in digital film techniques plus the legions of people looking to prove themselves worthy of the main film industry plus a general rise in self-awareness in film culture across the board equals a lot less of the entertaining low-rent schlock of the 60s-90s and there's a lot less incentive to put up with it because there are literally hundreds of other options one click away. Even weird Z-rent fare like Birdemic or crazy anomalies like The Room don't grow in that soil.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Is the upcoming Morgan a remake? That's R rated.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

On the other hand the original Nightmare on Elm Street movies weren't exactly runaway box office successes anyway. They've never been shooting for the tentpole megabucks, they were only ever expected to do moderate business in their initial theater run but then go on to regularly bring in a decent amount of $$$ in the home video and TV licencing after markets in the following years.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

As others have said, do check out Netflix or Amazon. Same goes if you're looking for some D-to-V action flicks. Sometimes you even find one that is legitimately surprising, like Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning, which also functions as a decent horror movie.

And I can't help but think the emphasis on big tentpole pictures hurts the range of movies that can be made or at least limits the scope of theatrical release for some genres.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is there a modern actor who isn't Englund that could be acceptable to audiences as a return to the Englund Freddy style? Someone whose career wouldn't be hurt by becoming a cartoonish murderer (which thanks the Marvel and DC movies, doesn't seem to be as big an issue anymore.)

I know a complaint I heard of someone who watched the 2010 remake was that Freddy wasn't 'fun', which to them was a large part of how the character had evolved in their previous incarnation.

I'm sort of racking my brain right now for someone who might be able to be name enough, pull off the humor and the scares. At this point I'm sort of thinking "What is Matt Smith up to these days?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand the original Nightmare on Elm Street movies weren't exactly runaway box office successes anyway. They've never been shooting for the tentpole megabucks, they were only ever expected to do moderate business in their initial theater run but then go on to regularly bring in a decent amount of $$$ in the home video and TV licencing after markets in the following years.

Very true, it's just that the game is different now. To be the same kind-of wide release might not be the best route. It's the new "HBO miniseries" to say "Netflix" but I do think that might be a good compromise as that's where almost all the low to mid-tier budget stuff is going these days.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm sort of racking my brain right now for someone who might be able to be name enough, pull off the humor and the scares. At this point I'm sort of thinking "What is Matt Smith up to these days?"

Matt Smith is a good outside choice.

That puts me in-mind of an idea-- every new Nightmare should have a different Freddy relative to the cast and location of the new movie. They can still do sequel-interlock and maybe even put in a new "Prime Freddy" coaching them, but it really helps vary up the formula and give a potential new hook to each installment (black Freddy, lady Freddy, gay Freddy, foreign Freddy, team-ups of survivors and Freddys).

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If Hollywood is taking suggestions for remakes or reinterpretations, I'd like to see a live action Howl's Moving Castle that's closer to the book. It would actually be a role Benderdick Cumbersnatch would be good for and Hollywood loves casting him for stuff.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Matt Smith is a good outside choice.

That puts me in-mind of an idea-- every new Nightmare should have a different Freddy relative to the cast and location of the new movie. They can still do sequel-interlock and maybe even put in a new "Prime Freddy" coaching them, but it really helps vary up the formula and give a potential new hook to each installment (black Freddy, lady Freddy, gay Freddy, foreign Freddy, team-ups of survivors and Freddys).

I still sort of think Nightmare could work reimagined as a sort of series of miniseries, all separated by a pop culture era, sort of incorporate the idea of the curse of Kruger going back generations for a town. We see how the town and the teens change over the years, Freddy keeping up wit them. Which would probably work well on something like Netflix.

You get something set in the mid 80s. Another one in early 90s. Another set in the later 90s. Early 00s, mid 00s, etc.

The idea that Freddy is a boogieman that has an explosion of activity for short windows of time every few years, and then most kids only grow to remember him as a legend, the nursery rhyme chant becoming a half-remembered childhood urban legend for each era of teenager. The deaths are forgotten as a new batches of high school kids grow up to forget the events of 4-6 years earlier, and others live to repeat the cycle. You could even eventually have previous generations of Freddy survivors coming back in later series to try to help current targets and figure out why/how Freddy keeps coming back.

It could give them room to be period piece shows, shows about each generation and pop culture of the time, and a horror show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like that idea way better. You could probably sell that to Netflix if they held the rights.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

mind the walrus posted:

Spider-Freddy, Fruit-Freddy, Electric-Freddy, Hulk Hogan, Gargoyle-Freddy, Brainy-Freddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x01l_jMhjVM

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is there a modern actor who isn't Englund that could be acceptable to audiences as a return to the Englund Freddy style? Someone whose career wouldn't be hurt by becoming a cartoonish murderer (which thanks the Marvel and DC movies, doesn't seem to be as big an issue anymore.)

I know a complaint I heard of someone who watched the 2010 remake was that Freddy wasn't 'fun', which to them was a large part of how the character had evolved in their previous incarnation.

What about Chris Elliot? The guy was always creepy in the best of roles. Let him reboot his sad career in full makeup, work out some of that anger.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You could do Nightmare on Elm Street as an anthology series, as well. Every town in America has a drat Elm Street. The weird nightmare realm exists, teens exist to be killed and you can have a parade of freaks tied together by the otherworld and common theme. Let different directors do their takes on the setting without diluting the main property too much if they blow it. Involve Freddy in some or all of the films as either a chance encounter, side plot, a rival of the movie's monster trying to poach kills, a quickly seen cameo creeping in the dark, or maybe even a helping hand with his own inscrutable motives. (Likely involving giving the heroes objects to fight the monster, which the kids can take out of their dreams with them so that they act as a homing beacon for Freddy) Give Freddy his own dedicated outing every once in a while, remembering to drop in little nods to the side films to tie the whole thing together.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pvt.Scott posted:

You could do Nightmare on Elm Street as an anthology series, as well. Every town in America has a drat Elm Street. The weird nightmare realm exists, teens exist to be killed and you can have a parade of freaks tied together by the otherworld and common theme. Let different directors do their takes on the setting without diluting the main property too much if they blow it. Involve Freddy in some or all of the films as either a chance encounter, side plot, a rival of the movie's monster trying to poach kills, a quickly seen cameo creeping in the dark, or maybe even a helping hand with his own inscrutable motives. (Likely involving giving the heroes objects to fight the monster, which the kids can take out of their dreams with them so that they act as a homing beacon for Freddy) Give Freddy his own dedicated outing every once in a while, remembering to drop in little nods to the side films to tie the whole thing together.

yeah but how will audiences KNOW that nightmare on elm street is what is is without freddy kruger?

gotta make sure the bad guy is always him, and he uses his Signature Moves in every episode. other than that, great idea! i'll forward it to the greenlight team

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey the studio said we can't change the location or cast next season because of contracting issues. I'm sure the fans won't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Wasn't the Freddy's Nightmares TV show just using Freddy as a Cryptkeeper-like bookend to the episodes back in the early 90s/late 80s? I think he was actually maybe only a noted involved character in a few episodes.

Then we had Nightmare Cafe, which I guess would be what Freddy Krueger would do if he were Q and decided to gently caress around in a desert diner or something.

edit: Wow, Nightmare Cafe actually has some interesting guest stars for a short lived show in the early 90s: Carrie-Anne Moss, Joan Chen, Angela Bassett.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 27, 2016

• Locked thread