Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
they should remake A League of Their Own but make it about men playing baseball because it's only fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

im sorry guys if i knew that was going to be page 2 i wouldve made a way better post :\

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Splash but this time Tom Hanks plays every role

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

they should remake A League of Their Own but make it about men playing baseball because it's only fair

i can see it - the 'league of extraordinary gentlemen of their own'!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mozi posted:

i can see it - the 'league of extraordinary gentlemen going their own way!

Fixed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A big-budget reboot of Tomb Raider starring Laverne Cox as Lara Croft and directed by Michael Bay would be a millenial favorite.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

how come in a league of their own they had that marla hooch girl who was supposed to be so ugly that they didn't even want her face to be shown but rosie o'donnell was fine???????????

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
hmmm lena dunham would make a good marla hooch

just imagine those locker room scenes

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

rezatahs posted:

hmmm lena dunham would make a good marla hooch

just imagine those locker room scenes

Now that you mention Lena Dunham, I can only imagine her as being the best replacement for Momma (Anne Ramsey) in a Throw Momma from the Train remake.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

beverly hills Chihuahua but not a remake just a new one thanks

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Now that you mention Lena Dunham, I can only imagine her as being the best replacement for Momma (Anne Ramsey) in a Throw Momma from the Train remake.

lmbo yes

also could take her place in the inevitable goonies remake

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
We never asked for a planet of the apes reboot. There is no good reason that it should've happened.

Thank god we got one decent and one rad film out of it. If only all pointless reboots/prequels/remakes were so good

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The only remake lena should be in is Hard Candy

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Old Yeller, but the dog is portrayed by Bruce Willis

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
gender swapped Ginger Snaps remake

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

They should remake Major League with Amy Schumer, Melissa McCarthy, and fill out the cast with SNL alumni.

:chloe:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

social vegan posted:

beverly hills Chihuahua but not a remake just a new one thanks

Werner Herzog's Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Ghost Dimension

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Have there actually been any good remakes outside of loose re-imaginings of '50s B movies (The Thing) and the occasional Hollywoodified foreign film (The Departed)?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Germstore posted:

gender swapped Ginger Snaps remake

I was going to make a joke about a dude bleeding from his dick but that already happens for some reason, doesn't it? Like he got a werewolf std that made his dick bleed? Or am I misremembering?

Mozi posted:

i can see it - the 'league of extraordinary gentlemen of their own'!

They're actually making an all-female League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film. Not sure if it will be lady heroes from old books or just a gender swapped cast. It'll suck either way.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Mordja posted:

Have there actually been any good remakes outside of loose re-imaginings of '50s B movies (The Thing) and the occasional Hollywoodified foreign film (The Departed)?

depends on what u want out of a remake if u have no standards then ya the crazies was good cuz the one woman gets hung by some intenstines in a car wash awoo boy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Drunken Baker posted:

I was going to make a joke about a dude bleeding from his dick but that already happens for some reason, doesn't it? Like he got a werewolf std that made his dick bleed? Or am I misremembering?

They're actually making an all-female League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film. Not sure if it will be lady heroes from old books or just a gender swapped cast. It'll suck either way.

yeah, that definitely happened. I'm not sure if it was explicitly explained why.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BillmasterCozb posted:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

Die (in the back)Yard

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i saw independence day and boy howdy was it ever horrible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

At a party last night we were spitballing a hypothetical movie we wished would get made and a drunk girl blurted out "Melissa McCarthy should be in it!" apropos of nothing so obviously the Ghostbusters remake is leaving its mark on culture

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mordja posted:

Scarface (1983), Ocean's Eleven (2001), Cape Fear (1991), True Grit (2010), Little Shop Of Horrors (1986), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Wizard of Oz (1939) ....

For Hollywoodified films there's also The Magnificent Seven (1960) and 12 Monkeys (1995) and for 50s B movie remakes there's The Fly (1986)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remakes can be good if the original is far enough from the public consciousness that you're (a) not constantly being compared to it and (b) not obviously cashing in on nostalgia, and if the remake is good enough to stand on its own

If either of those conditions does not apply the remake will probably be bad

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

Remakes can be good if the original is far enough from the public consciousness that you're (a) not constantly being compared to it and (b) not obviously cashing in on nostalgia, and if the remake is good enough to stand on its own

If either of those conditions does not apply the remake will probably be bad

also basically stop trying to remake verhoeven films

it can't be done

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rezatahs posted:

also basically stop trying to remake verhoeven films

it can't be done

So much this.

But Verhoven please come back to Hollywood we need you more than ever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically if your remake is a movie, rather than a sign that says "hahaha look it's that thing you like, do you still like it, give us some more money because we made more of that thing you like, please, thank you" it can be good

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Applewhite posted:

So much this.

But Verhoven please come back to Hollywood we need you more than ever.

God, do we ever.

Could this ever happen though? In todays market where the top grossing movies are all super mens(and womyns) and everyone is a huge cry baby? Could we have a glorious return of Verhoven-esque movies that are just no holds barred loving rad on a surface level yet so much more?

We need to bring cocaine back as the hip drug to do. What are the kids into these days? mkat and bath salts? When did a bunch of creative typoes ever make a great film whilst their arms rotted off?

client
Aug 19, 2010

movies like hellraiser that were cool but made for $16 are the only kind that should be remade

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I loving love Hellraiser and my entire formative years were moulded by that film and I'd love a remake.

Though after, what? 8 lovely sequels I'd say my love for that franchise has been thoroughly raped anyway so how much worse could a remake be. lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

client posted:

movies like hellraiser that were cool but made for $16 are the only kind that should be remade

They've been working on a Hellraiser remake since 2006 and came close to getting it up and running a few times but it was announced a few months ago that the new film which is currently being shot will be yet another sequel instead of a remake.
http://movieweb.com/hellraiser-movie-2016-cast-heather-langenkamp/

We have such tired, recycled sights to show you

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Genesplicer, can I please re-open my thread? I promise we're just going to poo poo on the reboot and nothing else...also I want to overtake the CD thread at this point.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Die Hard but John McLane is played by Idris Elba and Al is played by Bruce Willis.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

God, do we ever.

Could this ever happen though? In todays market where the top grossing movies are all super mens(and womyns) and everyone is a huge cry baby? Could we have a glorious return of Verhoven-esque movies that are just no holds barred loving rad on a surface level yet so much more?

We need to bring cocaine back as the hip drug to do. What are the kids into these days? mkat and bath salts? When did a bunch of creative typoes ever make a great film whilst their arms rotted off?

I blame the fact that all Hollywood blockbusters are made as much for China as they are for the US and that the subtle influence of the Chinese board of censorship is visible in all recent films.

When was the last time you saw a fantasy hero battle a rad skeleton? A while, right? That's because skeletons are bad luck in China so they're not allowed in films anymore.

Watch Tomorrow Never Dies sometime and you'll see it's just a Chinese movie with James Bond in it and that's why it sucks so bad.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've been working on a Hellraiser remake since 2006 and came close to getting it up and running a few times but it was announced a few months ago that the new film which is currently being shot will be yet another sequel instead of a remake.
http://movieweb.com/hellraiser-movie-2016-cast-heather-langenkamp/

We have such tired, recycled sights to show you

when the director is the old makeup artist and the original pinhead would rather star in wrong turn 5 you know youve got a quality production on your hands

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Genesplicer, can I please re-open my thread? I promise we're just going to poo poo on the reboot and nothing else...also I want to overtake the CD thread at this point.

Forget it, jr. Its gibbis town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

client posted:

when the director is the old makeup artist and the original pinhead would rather star in wrong turn 5 you know youve got a quality production on your hands

I feel that the series has taken a turn for the meta and is now doing its best to torture its fans in real life.

Here's another sequel! No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

• Locked thread