Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

lmao if you want a good laugh go look at the ghostbuster thread in CineD and see how all the autists are arguing that it is a good movie and everyone else on earth are just plebs who can't understand

even SMG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've not had a chance to see it yet, and this is a comment I'm sure I've repeated in another thread, but I'm getting the feeling that in about 5 years GB2016 will be considered in the same way that we look at Ang Lee's Hulk. The people who were incredibly, incredibly defensive of it will start to say it sucked or wasn't actually that good. The people who hated it will just consider it watchable in repeats on TV and not that bad.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

JediTalentAgent posted:

...Ang Lee's Hulk...

Dude, at least put a trigger warning on this poo poo!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
CineD is the forum that unironically defends the Star Wars prequels, the Transformers movies, and Alien 3. It's wise to ignore their consensus on whether a movie is good or bad.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
CineD was the target audience for Current Releases, which is the most insulting thing you can say about them.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sheen Sheen posted:

CineD is the forum that unironically defends the Star Wars prequels, the Transformers movies, and Alien 3. It's wise to ignore their consensus on whether a movie is good or bad.

Now tell me how they felt about Star Wars 7.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

For the last. loving. time. The loving movie is not even OUT yet you loving hater douchebags. ...You know what? How about you At least go see the movie and give it a chance before you loving boot up your ducking PCs to trash talk a film that a lot of really talented people worked really loving hard on. gently caress you. Seriously..,what the gently caress is it with goons and boring rear end cynicism? I can guaran-loving-tee you dont seem "badass" for poo poo talking this film. You sound like a bunch of loving mra circlejerkers. Honestly. get a loving grip, assholes les. The original loving ghostbusters isnt even good. I could give a gently caress about it. GB16 looks loving fantastic. And a gently caress of a lot funnier than what you idiots poo poo out onto these pages day in and day put. You know what I do give a gently caress about though? Encouraging young women to get into STEM. And you know what? You know loving what? if this film encourages even ONE girl to become a scientist or engineer, then good on Paul Feig. Then the loving film will be a great loving scuess. More than you douchebags have ever contributed to sociecty. Oh, wait i forgot. yeah brah, like, gently caress Paul Feig dude. how dare he try to inspire people. How loving dare he try and give people hope through the magic of film. Oh no, big goony fedora men have to loving spew hate all over the loving place about why its bad because it stars women. gently caress. You. You are juding a film you havent. even. loving. seen. Like, seriously. Get the gently caress over yourself. You are not some kind of loving special divine arbiter of all things true and just.mYou are a loving goon living in his parents base,ents.mShut the gently caress up and let the people who actually still have love in their hearts enjoy a funny little film for fucks sake.

I am loving done with this thread until this movie comes out. I am sick and loving tired of the hate, day in and day out. its loving exhausting and depressing having to defend this film over and over again to a bunch of sexist morons. You loving troglodytes. You loving rubes. You know what, GB16 haters? Kiss the fattest part of my assholes. Yall aint poo poo.m

Enjoy the hate circlejerk, you pathetic goony fucks. I'm about to leave for a loving amazing Ghosthead pre-release party and its going to be loving amazing. and there will be hot girls there who love GB16 who want to talk to me. You know why? Because im chill and I loving dont have hatred for a fiom ive never loving seen spewing out of my every orifice like some kind of loving lovecraftian monster whosmparticularly upset about its "precious childhood" being ruined. In short,mFuck you very much.mEnjoy your lovely circle jerk, hater assholes, I'll be out having fun at the Ghosthead party. Then, I'm gonna have a fantastic time cosplaying and riding in my friends replica ghostbusters ambulance siren and everything and go see a loving fantastic film. While the haters will be home fapping to the 1984 slimer because "muh childhood!".

gently caress you all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"Kiss the fattest part of my assholes" is a great line, whoever originally wrote that wall of text.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Kiss the fattest part of my assholes" is a great line, whoever originally wrote that wall of text.

pretty sure that wasn't quoting anybody

that guy shows up in gbs every so often acting unstable as gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rezatahs posted:

pretty sure that wasn't quoting anybody

that guy shows up in gbs every so often acting unstable as gently caress

He's also a FYAD poster who was recently posting about how both sides of the GB debate were crazy assholes :ssh:

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Fapping it to slimer
:nws:
https://youtu.be/Q7QyjhSz7Gk

Borden fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 16, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Box office numbers =/= profits

Usually that stuff factors in with distribution costs which a huge joke since Hollywood is actually selling their services to themselves basically. This is on track to be bad for Sony because they needed this to be a hit since so many of their tentpole films failed.

There isn't going to be a GB2.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

thats the carmel mochacchito guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Usually that stuff factors in with distribution costs which a huge joke since Hollywood is actually selling their services to themselves basically. This is on track to be bad for Sony because they needed this to be a hit since so many of their tentpole films failed.

There isn't going to be a GB2.

What are you talking about, they've recently produced such cinematic classics as Angry Birds, The Brothers Grimsby, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Pixels, The Interview, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, etc etc....
:v:

Ghostbusters might actually turn out to be their biggest film of 2016 even if it makes a loss overall, their other biggest films so far this year have been Angry Birds and some lovely Christian film called Miracles from Heaven and I can't see their upcoming animated film Sausage Party going all that well. I'm also not expecting big things from their Magnificent Seven remake but on the other hand you can't rule out the Chris Pratt factor there.
Their only films to pass $200,000 on the homefront these last few years were Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which was so disappointing they killed that franchise and went crawling back to Marvel) and the Bond film Spectre (which also massively underperformed). Their biggest recent success stories were Hotel Transylvania 2, 22 Jump Street, American Hustle and Grown Ups 2 and they've already slated another Hotel Transylvania sequel for 2018, the 21 Jump Street/MIB cross-sequel is coming along, American Hustle was a one-off docudrama and there was talk about Grown Ups 3 but who knows where that's at now that Sandler is pumping out movies for Netflix.

If Ghostbusters manages to get anywhere near $150m at the box office they might not have any choice except to make a sequel. They don't have much else in the bag to fall back on - they've got sequels to Underworld, Trainspotting, Resident Evil, Smurfs and Bad Boys coming up as well as remakes of Jumanji and Flatliners and I can't see any of those doing incredibly well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's a ton of hilari-bad stories of Hollywood people taking points on a film (getting paid on the 'profits' of a film rather than on the gross) and getting hosed over when the film makes a ton of money at the box office but because of lovely Hollywood accounting the film officially lost money so they never get paid out.

Peter Michael Goetz famously got a royalties cheque for 3c for the 1986 film King Kong Lives. Return of the Jedi reportedly had production costs of $32.5 million and had a domestic box office of $309 million and a worldwide gross of $572 million (not to mention untold millions in home video and merchandise sales) but for decades afterwards they kept sending letters to Darth Vader actor David Prowse saying "Sorry, the film still hasn't come into profit so we can't pay you any residuals yet."

the author of forrest gump wouldn't allow them to adapt the sequel cuz he got a cut of the net and despite making oodles of money it somehow finished with a loss.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy hell, I just realized the guy who made Bustin is Lemon Demon who also made The Ultimate Showdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA

Neil is a pretty cool guy.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

the 21 Jump Street/MIB cross-sequel

Somehow I hadn't read about this one. It could be good, but it's rather odd and I'm surprised the idea made it out of the board room. I also think Bad Boys 3 could do well partly due to nostalgia. My only worry, and I'm serious, is the lack of Michael Bay. The over-the- top action and explosions were a big part of the first two.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lodin posted:

Holy hell, I just realized the guy who made Bustin is Lemon Demon who also made The Ultimate Showdown.

Oh hey it's that Flash animation that I really really liked a lot when I was 14.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Scarface (1983), Ocean's Eleven (2001), Cape Fear (1991), True Grit (2010), Little Shop Of Horrors (1986), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Some Like It Hot (1959), The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Wizard of Oz (1939) ....

For Hollywoodified films there's also The Magnificent Seven (1960) and 12 Monkeys (1995) and for 50s B movie remakes there's The Fly (1986)

Kinda forgetting one there.

It's The Thing (1982).

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

If Ghostbusters manages to get anywhere near $150m at the box office they might not have any choice except to make a sequel. They don't have much else in the bag to fall back on - they've got sequels to Underworld, Trainspotting, Resident Evil, Smurfs and Bad Boys coming up as well as remakes of Jumanji and Flatliners and I can't see any of those doing incredibly well.

This is where we differ because I think if this fails to hit above 160-170 million but hits around 150 million, we are done with this iteration of Ghostbusters. Either Feig quietly gets the boot and another director signs on and GB 2 is made into a very different film or they reboot it again or try to do Ghostbusters 3. I agree if it hits around that magic number, Sony is going to be desprate enough to try again, but no one is going to be dumb enough to finance the same bomb all over again.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

October 2018: My First Sony.

"Hi kids..."

THIS SUMMER

"...we're home early..."

TALKBOY

#whoistalkboy

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Lodin posted:

he also made the Potter Puppet Pals and hyakugojyuuichi that crazy flash video from the newgrounds days and also got permabanned for being a weirdo but yeah he's pretty much the longest-lived memelord in human history

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is where we differ because I think if this fails to hit above 160-170 million but hits around 150 million, we are done with this iteration of Ghostbusters. Either Feig quietly gets the boot and another director signs on and GB 2 is made into a very different film or they reboot it again or try to do Ghostbusters 3. I agree if it hits around that magic number, Sony is going to be desprate enough to try again, but no one is going to be dumb enough to finance the same bomb all over again.

I have seen alot of poo poo on twitter showing to massively empty theaters. no one is interested because either all the controversy or because it looks like/is a lovely cash in. the humor is mostly sandler tier. at best it will break even. especially since their is no Chinese audience to cushion the fall.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

NutritiousSnack posted:

There were already rumblings of something animated, and they are on track to have their lunch eaten by a mediocre animated film that's done unexpectedly well. That's where my money is.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

That goon-run offsite archives search mysteriously went down for good a week after kiwifarms started using it to dig a lot of neil's problematic posts up after he suddenly thought that he could organize a mob against jontron for some gay reason

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I also think Bad Boys 3 could do well partly due to nostalgia.

It'd better, they've already greenlit Bad Boys 4 for 2019. :v:

Young Freud posted:

Kinda forgetting one there.

It's The Thing (1982).

I was replying to a post which said "Has there been any good remakes apart from The Thing" :shrug:

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah, Sony have set up an entire production company called GHOST CORPS headed up by Aykroyd and Reitman with the aim of spinning out as many Ghostbusters movies and TV shows as possible, if FemmeBusters doesn't stack up they can just wheel out the Channin Tatum crew and say it was their plan all along to make the second film with that team.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 16, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

That goon-run offsite archives search mysteriously went down for good a week after kiwifarms started using it to dig a lot of neil's problematic posts up after he suddenly thought that he could organize a mob against jontron for some gay reason

who the gently caress is neil? and why hate jontron enough to organize a mob against him?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who the gently caress is neil? and why hate jontron enough to organize a mob against him?

The huge egomaniacal tool who made bustin, and he went after jontron because he said the dreaded retard-word despite his posting history as trapezoid consisting of very healthy retard-usage

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Father Wendigo posted:

There were already rumblings of something animated, and they are on track to have their lunch eaten by a mediocre animated film that's done unexpectedly well. That's where my money is.

Yeah they've even announced a director for the animated version, that'll probably go ahead regardless

They announced a few months ago that Clash of Clans animation director Fletcher Moules has signed on to direct an animated GB movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3Xu1-cvII

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

The huge egomaniacal tool who made bustin, and he went after jontron because he said the dreaded retard-word despite his posting history as trapezoid consisting of very healthy retard-usage

lol thats retarded. wtf

eSports Chaebol posted:

he also made the Potter Puppet Pals and hyakugojyuuichi that crazy flash video from the newgrounds days and also got permabanned for being a weirdo but yeah he's pretty much the longest-lived memelord in human history

seriously. so basicaly he found the religion of Idenity politics and let it into his heart and became a massive oval office. thats sad.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol thats retarded. wtf

seriously. so basicaly he found the religion of Idenity politics and let it into his heart and became a massive oval office. thats sad.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
always wondered why Neil got kicked out. interesting. really drat petty of him, and a shame considering he's legit talented and funny.

welp

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, Sony have set up an entire production company called GHOST CORPS headed up by Aykroyd and Reitman with the aim of spinning out as many Ghostbusters movies and TV shows as possible, if FemmeBusters doesn't stack up they can just wheel out the Channin Tatum crew and say it was their plan all along to make the second film with that team.

Father Wendigo posted:

It's kinda funny, but that really is Sony's best bet. They can try to get in on the animation market, sidestep the feminist backlash of Tatum' Busters movie, and clean their hands of Feig or addressing this movie again or the "cultural wars" or whatever dumb thing SRS/Pol are steering up online and get to start all over again.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I guess the new Ghostbusters made around 15 mil last night? I think assuming that will mean it makes 45 mil this weekend is pretty generous considering all the empty theater posts I'm seeing. What would be the amount that you could call it a bomb at after this weekend? 30 mil? 25 mil?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Hi kids..."

THIS SUMMER

"...we're home early..."

TALKBOY

#whoistalkboy

Coincidentally devolves into being another Home Alone, with another new kid. Like 3 and 4 and probably 5. Straight to video and all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

natetimm posted:

I guess the new Ghostbusters made around 15 mil last night? I think assuming that will mean it makes 45 mil this weekend is pretty generous considering all the empty theater posts I'm seeing. What would be the amount that you could call it a bomb at after this weekend? 30 mil? 25 mil?

The Thurs/Fri estimate is $17.2 million and they're projecting $46.5m for the weekend overall. It was #1 on Friday but should lose out to the Life of Pets animated film on Sat/Sun.

Early projections had it making between $38m to $40m but Sony had a HUGE advertising campaign this last week and the projection was upgraded to $45m - $50m, so it's doing better than the early projections predicted and falling into the low range of the more recent predictions. It's doing about as well as they expected.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-ghostbusters-secret-life-of-pets-2-1201815841/

We won't have any way of predicting how well it'll do overall until we get an idea of the numbers for next weekend, word of mouth will be a big factor and there's no way of predicting whether things will pick up or whether the film blew its wad already.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

natetimm posted:

It slowed down big time last night, which was weird. It went from a promising 48 million to 44-45 million.

For it to be an actual bomb it needed to be in the 30s, though like Ender's Game it might be a weirdly front loaded movie and it could fail to go over 100 million by a decent amount. As it is now, projections from early June that had it hit around 90-130 million seem to have been extremely prescient. This was never going to be a bomb, just a disappointment and unprofitable film. It's an extremely weak summer and Ghostbusters is a strong brand name.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's kinda funny, but that really is Sony's best bet. They can try to get in on the animation market, sidestep the feminist backlash of Tatum' Busters movie, and clean their hands of Feig or addressing this movie again or the "cultural wars" or whatever dumb thing SRS/Pol are steering up online and get to start all over again.

this. they will just forget this film ever existed and probaly try a sequel or another reboot, then go fulltilt with the animated shows/movie. what sucks is the tatum movie will probaly be even worse.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. they will just forget this film ever existed and probaly try a sequel or another reboot, then go fulltilt with the animated shows/movie. what sucks is the tatum movie will probaly be even worse.

Hilarously this was the worst case scenario for everyone. Sony is going to take the lesson "women aren't funny from this" but that GB is a valuable brand despite it. Instead expect animated retools or a "smarter" GB 3 soft reboot or some other dumb poo poo with Sandler type comedy and one of the two is going to break over 200 million and make us all suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hilarously this was the worst case scenario for everyone. Sony is going to take the lesson "women aren't funny from this" but that GB is a valuable brand despite it. Instead expect animated retools or a "smarter" GB 3 soft reboot or some other dumb poo poo with Sandler type comedy and one of the two is going to break over 200 million and make us all suffer.

Fuuuuck :(

If GB had brought in $50m this weekend I bet Sony would have announced the sequel sometime Saturday as part of the "We're completely happy with this project and we were always behind it, please continue printing positive articles about our obviously successful film k thnx" promo push they usually pull at this point of things.

• Locked thread