Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The great thing about this show is that I wasn't bored by any of the time spent on any characters. Like when the kids were on screen, I wasn't just wanting to get through their scene to get back to Hopper, and so on. The protagonists were all equally interesting and we were able to get invested in to all of them. That was really impressive.

I hope they do film a season two with the same people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dongattack posted:

drat, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN holy poo poo this was so loving good! Great mystery, not a single scene was boring or wasted, edge of my seat all 8 episodes, loved the characters, constantly wondering what was gonan happen next. Loved the 80s vibe and MUSIC, really brought me back to my childhood watching spoopy things i wasn't allowed to watch in the middle of the night.

I just have absolutely nothing bad to say about this show, which is weird cause i like to whine about everything. I hope season 2 can follow up on how good this was if they make it.

The show is a massive critical success, theyre are absolutely going to do a second season.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The show is a massive critical success, theyre are absolutely going to do a second season.

Hope they can keep it from going stale then, really hard to do a follow up to something that's THIS strong and not have people go "eeeh, its no season 1".

I'm sitting here with "it's over" depression now :smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any suggestions for what to watch after with a similar feel? I'm jonesing for more in a bad way.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Guest? Less creepy horror and more slasher-action, but it feels like an 80s movie

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I don't know if you can find it on digital video rental, much less streaming, but see if you can track down Lady in White.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Turbo Kid has as draw similar to this, though it's a lot more heavy handed on the 80s nostalgia . The Guest is great if you want a more standard slasher. Both of them have amazing sound tracks as well.

Then if you want to go into the absurd spectrum, there's Kung Fury.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm well I was thinking more it's influences than similar recent films. Are Firestarter or Children of the Corn worth a watch? Are there any decent 80s or modern Amblin-alikes like Krampus, or am I best off just rewatching Gremlins? What about sci-fi or paranormal conspiracy films like Andromeda Strain? Or am I best off just watching some favorite X-files episodes?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Stranger Things sure does hammer on that nostalgia clit

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

feedmyleg posted:

Hm well I was thinking more it's influences than similar recent films. Are Firestarter or Children of the Corn worth a watch? Are there any decent 80s or modern Amblin-alikes like Krampus, or am I best off just rewatching Gremlins? What about sci-fi or paranormal conspiracy films like Andromeda Strain? Or am I best off just watching some favorite X-files episodes?

IT, Stand by Me and Goonies should all be must watch if you haven't seen them yet and liked ST. Also ET obviously. It didn't really evoke Carpenters style outside of the soundtrack so I dunno what from him i'd recommend but I guess They Live skews closest to the paranoia angle.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

DivisionPost posted:

I don't know if you can find it on digital video rental, much less streaming, but see if you can track down Lady in White.

Goodness, this used to come on TV a lot when I was younger and it always captivated me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I found it really funny that the nerdy teacher had a Japanese girlfriend, because of course he would

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

feedmyleg posted:

Some stuff that comes to mind:

Carpenter's The Thing is referenced several times.
ET & Stand By Me
Altered States
The finale made specific nods to Alien (in the Upside-Down) and Nightmare on Elm Street (also a movie where a teenager named Nancy rigs up her house with booby traps and tries to use them to subdue a creature from another dimension)
Really almost anything by Wes Craven or John Carpenter
e: Wargames, if you want the government conspiracy angle I guess?

It's been too long since I've seen any of the rest that you mentioned, but Andromeda Strain is about as hard as hard sci-fi gets. It's an interesting movie, but it's also kind of boring on purpose. Honestly the first thing I wanted to watch when I was done was Twin Peaks. Something about the music.

Still, somebody else said it really well that the show does a good job of just being in the 80s rather than hammering you with references and homages like Tarantino. A lot of the charm is attention to detail rather than "Hey remember that thing!"

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 18, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm gonna toss in a recommendation for Falling Down even though it has very little in common with this. Some of the filmmaking tends to evoke Schumacher pre-Batman.

OOH, and his oeuvre includes The Lost Boys, which is a WAY more appropriate recommendation!

BTW, it doesn't look like you can rent Lady in White off of Amazon or iTunes, but you might get lucky if you Google it.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

feedmyleg posted:

Definitely watch Christine. Stephen King via John Carpenter.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 18, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for what to watch after with a similar feel? I'm jonesing for more in a bad way.

Silver Bullet its quintessential 80s horror movie with a kid and is excellent.

The Monster Squad is yet another film.

As others have mentioned Lady in White

Gremlins of course

Night of the Comet is another

Watcher is another one with Corey Haim, but this one is afaik still not released on DVD

The Gate a young Stephen Dorff

All are young kids encounter "monsters" and are set in the 80s.

The Watcher in the Woods its weird but good

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 18, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Goddamn how could I forget Monster Squad. Good call.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Lost Boys is a good call. Most of the Corey movies for that matter.

Flight of the Navigator is also about as 80s as it gets, but it's one of those movies whose memories were located in the brain cells I killed in college.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I had no idea this show was a thing. Saw it on netflix and randomly clicked on it and drat it's good so far. Starting ep 3 now.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Oh oh oh oh oh poo poo. I just remembered. If you're looking for small town paranormal government conspiracy, 1988's The Blob.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Tacopocalypse posted:

Oh oh oh oh oh poo poo. I just remembered. If you're looking for small town paranormal government conspiracy, 1988's The Blob.

Haha yes! That movie scared the gently caress out of me when I was little, and still manages a couple scenes of pretty solid horror.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not the same '80s tone at all, but the Duffer Brothers are behind this series and I unknowingly had already seen a movie of their's earlier this year called Hidden which is a lower budget really underrated horror and one of the very few movies of an over saturated genre that had a somewhat interesting and original take on what it was doing. I recommend checking it out but not reading too much up on it beforehand because there's a number of twists and turns. They wrote and directed the film and also created this series along with writing and directing most of the episodes.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You should also read Stephen King's IT, Dan Simmons's Summer of Night and Robert McCammon's Boy's Life.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I really enjoyed the series, but found it to (not really a spoiler) end in a really dumb place that kind soured me on the whole thing. I was worried that the season might have been around ~20 episodes, which there wouldn't be room for, but I also don't really see 16 episodes for a show they seemed to be winding down pretty well by the end.

I'm always in awe of directors who get good performances out of children, and I generally really liked the kids - Eleven in particular - obviously. I felt like Will's actor was quite good, so it's a shame that we didn't see more of him.

Some characters felt very archetypal if not cliché, but you could argue that it was on purpose, even though the two bullies were too much cruft for a series that had enough interesting B- and C-plots already.

Sort of weird that they threw in that Will is probably gay; it just felt like something that was tacked on, especially when he wasn't really there anyway.
Turns out Netflix ended the playback of the show after episode seven, so it basically ruined the entire series for me after I went online to read up on it. Great loving job, overpaid Netflix engineers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ufarn posted:

Turns out Netflix ended the playback of the show after episode seven, so it basically ruined the entire series for me after I went online to read up on it. Great loving job, overpaid Netflix engineers.

Oh god. So you thought the show ended on episode 7?

Sorry that happened but now I can't stop imagining your exasperation with that "ending."

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Chomposaur posted:

I'm legit curious to see his reaction to this show as a whole. All I found was this tweet which seems to indicate approval: https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/752644182251044864

Seems like he liked it:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This is a cool show and I'd recommend it, though I don't agree that Winona Ryder shines, but I did like all the other actors

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Maybe he meant that she's been talking to him via telepathy (and that he's gonna murder her with a mallet).

Hayt
Sep 11, 2000

One thing that never really does get answered, and might tie in to a season 2: Dr. Brenner very pointedly wants to know how Joyce is able to talk to Will while he's in the upside down. Before she takes an axe to the wall, she and Will have somehow managed to make an almost physical connection between the dimensions, and in the last episode it seems that she and Jonathan seem to be able to hear each other. So what's up with that?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
The older I get, the less I can devote 100% attention to anything. I can't watch a movie or tv show without getting on my PC or picking up my iPad.

I watched 6 episodes of this show back to back without even the desire of doing anything else. It was awesome.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

i am the bird posted:

Oh god. So you thought the show ended on episode 7?

Sorry that happened but now I can't stop imagining your exasperation with that "ending."
While I wonder and to some extent check afterwards, my bar for a resolved season was pretty low, as I’d literally just finished Evangelion's TV show.

Finished watching it, but felt pretty empty either way, be it the show or just getting hosed over by Netflix.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hayt posted:

One thing that never really does get answered, and might tie in to a season 2: Dr. Brenner very pointedly wants to know how Joyce is able to talk to Will while he's in the upside down. Before she takes an axe to the wall, she and Will have somehow managed to make an almost physical connection between the dimensions, and in the last episode it seems that she and Jonathan seem to be able to hear each other. So what's up with that?
Probably the same reason Nancy can hear Jonathan and vice versa after she crawled through the tree. The shadow world doesn't seem to be that far away from the regular one. Only the monster and possibly Elle can travel back and forth, but the fabric separating the two doesn't seem to be entirely inviolable in terms of sound, light, etc

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hayt posted:

My impression is that whatever keeps the Upside-Down upside-down was starting to go away, probably due to the portal in the basement. Temporary portals were breaking through all over the place and electrical effects were leaking across. People close enough to the center of things seemed to have some kind of sense of what was on the other side. And the whole thing from Eleven ripping the universe a new space hole to getting Will out took only a bit more than a week; ten days tops. So Dr. Brenner is just as inexperienced about the situation as everyone else is.

I figure the opening scene of episode one was just after the portal pops since they're still trying to figure things out in the facility in that episode. Then the next night Will gets snatched as the first outside monster victim and the next morning Eleven is hungry and desperate enough to approach the diner.

Basically what I'm saying is the show is a prequel to The Mist (presumably that would be season three once they've done the brain slugs taking over the town as season two).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 18, 2016

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
drat, that was a fantastic show.

I think there's a good season 2 in there but I'm almost in that place where I hope they don't do it because it would be awful hard not to have a second season fail to live up to this one.

But nah, I want more Stranger Things and I want it yesterday.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
The only thing that absolutely ruined it for me, and made me want to turn it off is that it's set in 1983, and The Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter" was released in 1987. Totally irresponsible of them, and an unforgiveable error!!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cryomancer posted:

The only thing that absolutely ruined it for me, and made me want to turn it off is that it's set in 1983, and The Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter" was released in 1987. Totally irresponsible of them, and an unforgiveable error!!!

Irresponsible? Soundtracks don't have to have songs that take place when the show takes place.

Anyway one of the best soundtracks I've heard in years and a wholly enjoyable show. Creepy and awesome and for someone who was a kid in 1983 it was a total blast from the past. Loved it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
With that weird leech thing Will spits out at the end I kind of hope season 2 has a Night of the Creeps kind of storyline.

I'm so glad David Harbour got a big role. He's always been a huge highlight any time he pops up in a movie and he was an absolute delight here.

Oh, also, #TeamSteve

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I like the idea of Stranger Things being an anthology but each season would need to take place in the 80s or it's a deal breaker.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

clown shoes posted:

I like the idea of Stranger Things being an anthology but each season would need to take place in the 80s or it's a deal breaker.

While I think I'd like a Twilight Zone-type show that changes each season, it's such a huge risk changing out all the actors. You run the risk of True Detective Season 2 happening.

Especially with kids, you found some good actor kids here and that isn't an easy thing to accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
There's no way they don't use the actress who played Eleven again. She pretty much stole the show, other than the toothless kid. Don't get me wrong, everyone was good, but her ability to convey emotion and tension without saying much and just facial expressions and body language was excellent for someone her age.

• Locked thread