Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Zaggitz posted:

This is probably the most consistent package Netflix has put out yet, never really any big lull episodes and every ep is exactly as long as it needs to be, so is the season. It hit every one of my buttons in just the exact way I hoped and the ending was perfect in terms of wrapping up what i wanted wrapped up and bread crumbs left for s2.

With Netflix's auto-skip end credits, and the fact that each episode has a 4-5 minute cold opening (followed by a wonderful intro), it's hard to even know when an episode ends and the next begins.

Also I have to say the police chief is the best character, solving the mystery one heavy punch at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Aww man what an amazing series. I could watch that intro for days, and there is nothing to it, just some outlines and amazing music. The entire series had amazing music choices, whether it was a song or the score itself. Whoever these Duffer Brothers are they did a great job.

This show now challenges True Detective for best intro, and I think this wins because 80s synth sounds are the best.

hxcorpse posted:

^ Steve is very much a tiny Jean Ralphio doppelganger, glad it wasn't just me.

Me as well. I was so worried he was just going to get eaten since he was all bloody, kinda liked his redemption at the end as cliché as it felt.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

DarkLich posted:

Some of the characters were a bit one-dimensional, but that seemed to be an effort by the show to adhere to certain familiar genre tropes. Even with that said, plenty of the arcs you'd see from your standard 80s/90s characters were twisted to be unpredictable. For example:

Mike & Nancy's mother is a perfectly reasonable, levelheaded character. What I usually expect from this genre is a control-freak that meddles in her children's affairs. In this case though, you got an understandably confused midwestern mom that did actually just want to listen to her kids, and was reasonable with their faults.

Yeah she was a really good mother character. She understood what her daughter did with Steve that night, and instead of getting mad or try and shame her, she opened herself up and hoped to talk about it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yep, this show scratched an itch I didn't know I had, it was a perfect summer miniseries that brought back a lot of 80s nostalgia without being heavy-handed.

Yeah, it did a good job of just being in the 80s, not showing off "Look how 80s we can make this!"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Tacopocalypse posted:

Oh oh oh oh oh poo poo. I just remembered. If you're looking for small town paranormal government conspiracy, 1988's The Blob.

Haha yes! That movie scared the gently caress out of me when I was little, and still manages a couple scenes of pretty solid horror.

• Locked thread