Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mauman posted:

I'm still bitter about how MM7's evil ending didn't become cannon because HMM fans complained about the sci-fi element.

Never mind that Might and magic games (and by backstory extension, HMM games) ARE sci-fi.

R.I.P. laser necromancers :negative:

Wasn't there originally a Heavenly Forge faction planned for one of the Heroes games? Because that would've ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it turned into the Conflux faction in the HoMM3 expansion packs, but yes we were originally supposed to get Heavenly Forge to tie back with MMVII. Apparently NWC received death threats over the Forge concept within DAYS of the reveal :stare:

Some people cared waaaaay too much about the "sanctity" of Heroes being "high fantasy"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't there originally a Heavenly Forge faction planned for one of the Heroes games? Because that would've ruled.

Yeah.

That was supposed to be the lead on from the mm7 evil ending that I mentioned. Evil necromancers acquire the heavenly forge, make super technology, and go nuts.

It had :allears: painted all over it.

What do they say? This is why we can't have nice things?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

poo poo....double post.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Gully Foyle posted:

I've never played the old King's Bounty personally, but going by that LP, its not nearly as broken in this game. There's nothing really equivalent to the game-breaking power of Raise Control/Clone spells (that I know of, at least).

I think it's fine that troops are limited and do not replenish outside of certain castles but the equivalent of Clone in the reboot can be used to exploit AI behaviour and make loseless victories significantly easier to achieve consistently.

Bets are off if you get the spell to drop before you break the game over your knee using half a dozen other ways. I gave up opening the battlefield scroll chests when all they kept giving me was fear and plague. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slaan posted:

I've not played the newest one, however. It any good?

Overall: yes. I haven't played the campaigns but I've done a lot of hotseat. It's way too buggy to be worth full price but it is still much more fun and better than HoMM6 in my opinion. No inferno faction sadly but apparently the dwarven Fortress faction from HoMM5 will be back in an expansion which is awesome. Naturally the game balance is completely broken by overpowered spells, skills, spells and artifacts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aces High posted:

it turned into the Conflux faction in the HoMM3 expansion packs, but yes we were originally supposed to get Heavenly Forge to tie back with MMVII. Apparently NWC received death threats over the Forge concept within DAYS of the reveal :stare:

Some people cared waaaaay too much about the "sanctity" of Heroes being "high fantasy"

Heroes 1 started with Lord Ironfist accidentally teleported through a sci-fi transporter system (while fleeing his attempted treachery against his king) to a world where he found all you had to do was build structures and pay money and all manner of fantastical creatures would literally spontaneously generate and fight for you.

Such sanctity and seriousness.

Also, MM7 was loving awesome and the Evil route was the best.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Heroes 1 started with Lord Ironfist accidentally teleported through a sci-fi transporter system (while fleeing his attempted treachery against his king) to a world where he found all you had to do was build structures and pay money and all manner of fantastical creatures would literally spontaneously generate and fight for you.

No even better, they just sorta show up. I like to think this is also why there are random bands of soldiers/monsters everywhere that attack anyone who gets to close

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Not to mention that the "demons" they constantly fought were explicitly described as "creatures from another world" or aliens......yeah, those "fans" had their heads WAY up their asses :bang:

Also, you have great taste :hfive:

Back to King's bounty though, I admit I've never played the other games and only a little of armored princess (and I own all of them due to steam sales). I'm thinking of starting another go at it though to go with this lp.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 22, 2016

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

mauman posted:

Not to mention that the "demons" they constantly fought were explicitly described as "creatures from another world" or aliens......yeah, those "fans" had their heads WAY up their asses :bang:

I recall the celebration on the forums (Heroes 2, not here) when the Conflux was announced. Oh, well. At least there were a lot of good HoMM 2 maps available there. My impression is that the grognard HoMM players hadn't actually played the RPGs. Certainly the terribleness of the whole affair supports that impression.

Looking forward to this LP. I bought The Legend in the store (one of my last pre-Steam purchases) and played Paladin on my first run. Losing double-casting was a big deal, but it did allow you to adapt as needed over the course of the game. Part of what makes the King's Bounty series so enjoyable, IMO, is the degree to which you may need to try new tactics in a given game depending upon what troops and spells are initially available.

No idea how long I spent with The Legend, but Steam tells me I've spent 495 hours playing all the sequels. I'm not sure how much I'll have to say about the original as I don't have much memory of it (aside from some of the Boss battles), but I think Mage is probably a good choice for the original game LP.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Update 5: The Tax Man

Before we venture out into the world, let's meet the hero that will be joining us for the rest of the game. Bill Gilbert has had a change of profession, a change of face, and has resurrected himself as Mage. He's also taken a fancy to nature such that his emblem is a glowing white tree on a black field (sable, an oak tree eradicated argent).

When Bill here gained level 2 in the tutorial, he chose a point of Intellect. Being a Mage, Intellect is all important, and it is acceptable to skip the early Leadership bonuses (because they grow over time, while attribute bonuses do not). We will likely be taking Intellect whenever possible (almost) in this playthrough, which hopefully won't lead to our ruin.

One thing to note: the ingame tooltip for Intellect is a filthy, filthy lie. Read this:

You might think that you get only 10% more spell damage every 7 points of Intellect. Which sounds like junk, and it would be. In reality, it is 10% per Intellect, PLUS a multiplicative 10% for every 7 points rounding down. So 7 points of Intellect is actually 87% more spell damage (a modifier of 1.7*1.1). The extra duration for spells per 15 points is correct though.

By becoming a Mage, Bill starts with the skills Wisdom 1 and Meditation 1. Wisdom 1 gives him an additional 10 Mana for his pool (and slightly more scroll capacity), while Meditation speeds up Mana recovery speed in adventure mode. Further, with our starting runes + those from Level 2, Bill has learned Distortion Magic 1 and Concentration 1 (as well as Scouting 1). Distortion Magic 1 will let him learn new Distortion spells, while Concentration 1 gives us +2 Mana back per turn in combat. Our current target is to get Chaos Magic so we can add more destructive elements to our repertoire.

Anyways, onwards and upwards! As soon as we leave the Temple, we are immediately summoned to the Royal Castle to see the King.

: Here are the letters of reference from my mentor at the School.
: Oh, so it is you, Bill Gilbert. Iron Richard told me about quite a talented and promising young man, when I raised the subject of the new Treasure Searcher. I hope you'll be able to handle all your new responsibilities.
: So it is decided! Of my royal will I, the King of Darion, Mark Leonar the Second, do declare the knight by the name Bill Gilbert to be my Royal Treasure Searcher, and confer upon him the title of Viscount and all the regaila which thereto append!

Literally one second out of the temple and we've got a shiny new promotion. And it's not just ceremonial, either. The Viscount promotion gives us +100 Leadership (that's what he means by regalia).

: I'm happy to serve you, Your Majesty!
: And now, Bill Gilbert, you are to take up the first task immediately. We shall see if you can manage to find our missing Plugens. Recently, the tax collector was robbed as he was bringing some Plugens to the castle. The crime was committed by a robbers' gang on the eastern road. The robbers escaped, and the guards who were sent to chase them collected only a small part of what was stolen. You shall recover the rest of the loss, all four hundred Plugens - and punish the robbers.
: No problem, consider them as good as found.
: Ha-ha... We'll consider as soon as we have something to consider. I can't see even a single Plugen at the moment!
: I'd like to clarify, what is it I'm looking for? - What are Plugens?
: It's very simple. We have replaced the old tax system by Plugens, special tokens made of precious metal. Every citizen buys a certain number of Plugens from us annually. Plugens are a symbol of honesty and loyalty to Darion. They give the people the tight to elect a mayor, or be granted a loan, even place their sons in court, or evade prison by receiving a royal pardon. Thus, all the right-minded people receive the protection of the crown, and the sale of these Plugens assures that the kingdom's treasury remains full!
: Excellent idea! Thank you for the explanation.

We immediately talk to him again.
: I do hope, Bill Gilbert, that you have brought us good news, and a bag full of Plugens?
: I'd like to ask you a couple of questions, Your Majesty.
: I don't have time for gossiping, my young servant. I hope your questions are of some importance?
: What happened to the previous Searcher?
: His name was de'Virre... He was a worthy Searcher, and it was thanks in large part to him that our treasury was regularly filled with gold - and it was through his efforts as well that the Academy's sorcerers acquired many rare artifacts and ancient manuscripts to study. Once he told us that in one such a manuscript he had found mention of a mythical Temple of the Undead... We tried to dissuade him from searching this place, but to no avail. A few days later, our Searcher to left for parts unknown, and we never set eys upon him again.
: I understand you're familiar with my mentor, Richard?
: Yes, we've known each other since our childhood. Richard was the son of my fencing teacher. And Richard, my brother, and I studied fending together. We became friends. Those were the days...By the way, do you know, Bill Gilbert, how Richard got his nickname? Long ago, he was called 'Richard Iron Tooth,' because once in a fight he lost his tooth and his father without a second's thought made him an iron tooth for him. And oh my hand ached for days after that fight! - His teeth really are like iron, too! But now of course I cannot even recall what the fight was about...
: I have no more questions; I will disturb Your Majesty no further.

Now that we have some breathing room after all that chatter, let's take a look at the Castle screen.

In the top left, we find out we are at the Castle Kronberg, in the region of Greenwort, and it serves as the capital of Darion. Below that, we have the important NPCs in the castle, who we talk to by clicking on the portraits.
Below that we can see what this castle has for sale. The Equipment and Magic lists are a semi-randomized selection. I'd like to buy that banner, but it will be a bit before we can spare 24k gold. The spells (Last Hero and Shroud) aren't very good right now compared to our direct damage spells.
Finally, each castle will have a selection of troops available to hire. Many castles and outposts offer the same troops every game, but there are some that have some element of randomness (though usually along a theme). The number inside the unit portrait represents number available, with 'Horde' indicating infinite availability. The selection and number of troops available can change as we perform certain quests. And of course the cost is listed below. We can also store unwanted troops below in the Garrison slots. I leave my Sprites, Peasants, and Dragonflies here, and hire Bowmen and Swordsmen instead. I'll come back for the Peasants in a bit since I have nothing better to use (OK, Sprites are better per unit, but I have no source to fill up on them right now)

Let's chat with the Princess.

: Nice to meet you, Your Highness. I'm your new Treasure Searcher. My name is Bill Gilbert. I'm a Mage.
: Forgive my daughter, Bill Gilbert. She is a mischievous little princess, despite of her divine origin. I hope she hasn't wearied you with chatter.
: Not at all, Your Majesty! You have quite a nice daughter.
: Daddy! [The girl slightly raised her voice and stamped her foot!] I had a deal with you. I don't prevent you from talking to the uncles who come to see you. and I'm a good child, right uncle Bill Gilbert?
: Yes. You are the best child I ever saw, Your Highness!
: And how do you remember and pronounce all these "Your Highness" and Uncle Aron, and Uncle Richard... I'm just Amelie. It's easier to remember, I figured it out myself.
: Do you know Uncle de'Virre, the former Treasure Searcher?
: Yes! We were friends. He brought a real little horned horse to me. And also he showed me some lightning in a can. And told many stories. About pink dragon, and about ghost-ship, and about a terrible Kraken. Have you heard about a fish that's the size of the biggest ship ever? I wonder, if it swallows you, will you be scared? He told me about a real shoe of a Titan.
: And do you also know that dragons like to kidnap princesses? Aren't you scared?
: Oh, uncle, you are so old and still believe in fairy tales? First, I'm still a little girl, and dragons kidnap only adult princesses. And second, if a dragon kidnaps me, then a prince on a white horse will appear and will save me. That happens in all the fairy tales. I even had a dream that a prince on a magic horse saves me. Only the horse was not white, but made of wood for some reason. Besides, my dad would protect me from a dragon. My father is a real king, and he has a real big army. The army will beat the dragon, and it'll fly away hungry.
: Do you want me to bring you a flower from faraway lands?
: Yes, I want a flower. But not from faraway countries. I like closer ones. Because when you carry the flower from faraway, it will dry up. One day Uncle Virre brought me a pretty flower. Not only red, but blue. It was... Gerbarius. He said that it's a magic elven flower. But my horned horse ate the flower, and I scolded it. But I scolded it quietly, so that the horse wouldn't get upset and go away.
: I was glad to chat with you Amelie. But right now I have a lot of things to do.

We can also go visit the Knight's Temple again, which is now a castle complete with equipment, magic, and some Priests for hire. We will talk to these jokers later, for now I just pick up a few Priests for my army. I also want that 21k belt (it gives a good deal of Mana recovery in combat).

Here's a look at the ingame quest log. It does a decent job of giving details you might miss in the dialogue, such as where to look for our stolen Bitcoins Plugens.

A look at the bustling capital city here...ok, maybe it's a work day or something. We're going to ignore the dwarf by the balloon despite his quest marker calling out to us.

In the center of town is this mana fountain, which seems extremely unsafe. Maybe that's why its so empty in the town square. In game, it will give us full Mana, and recharges every so often. It's honestly not super useful here, since Mana regens over time, and you will usually be back here buying troops a long way away from any fights.

As we leave over the bridge, we can see the trail of Plugens off to the east. But first, I need to round out my army.

So I head just to the southwest to the Magic School. There's a ton more dialogue and a new side quest here, but we will save it for another time. I call these mini-shops outposts. They usually have a smaller selection, but are still valuable sources of units, equipment, and spells. For now, I buy 1 Archmage (all I can fit with my Leadership).

Bill takes a second to read the inscription on a nearby obelisk. Some strange glow is briefly seen...hmmm. We head back to the capital to fill up on Peasants, and our mighty army is complete!

Units and Unit Cards
Units are the main attraction of any game like this (at least for me). So let's look at what makes units tick.

Name: Starting at the top, we of course have the unit Name.
Faction: In the top right, we have an icon that represents unit race/faction. The crown is for the Human faction (its actually more confusing than it seems, since there are human units that don't belong to the Human faction). Factions have a variety of effects. The Factions in this game are Human, Dwarf, Orc, Elf, Undead, Demon, and Neutral.
Level: We see that the Priest is a Level 2 unit (I'd call them tiers personally, but Level is the KB term). Some spells, abilities, and equipment work only on certain unit Levels. There are 5 Levels total.
Leadership: In each stack we can only control units with a total Leadership under our Hero's Leadership value.

Attack/Defense: I talked about the damage formula in Update 3. But basically, more attack = more damage when attacking, more defense = less damage when attacked. Any % modifications to A/D work on the base number (like the 10 here), not the adjusted value.
Initiative: Determines the order in which units act.
Speed: Determines the number of Action Points a unit gets each turn.
Health: Don't need to explain this, I think.
Current: If damaged in battle, we can see how many HP the unit has left. Damaged units will heal to full at the end of any combat.
Damage: The damage range per unit in the stack. The icon to the right indicates type of damage (the Priest here does Magic damage).

Hidden stats
Resistances: Can be seen by mousing over the Defense stat. There are 4 varieties: Physical, Poison, Magic, and Fire.
Critical Hit %: Oddly enough, I believe there is a way to see this (until Armored Princess, at least), and it can vary significantly between units. I'm getting this number off of GameFAQs.
Defend Bonus: If we choose to end a units turn without spending all of their Action Points, the unit gets a small bonus to defense. More tanky units get a bigger boost. It's not much of a bonus, but hey, its something.

Talents: Useable skills in combats. There are two types: Charge Talents, and Reload Talents. Charge Talents can only be used a given number of times per battle. Reload Talents have a cool down, given in number of turns before the Talent is ready to use again. Reload: 1 means every other turn at most.

Abilities: Passive bonuses/benefits/attributes.

Morale: The grey :geno: face indicates our Priest has a Neutral Morale rating. Positive Morale boosts Attack/Defense/Critical Hit %. Negative Morale detracts from those. You get +morale from certain items, units, and other sources. One that we probably won't see in this playthrough is a +1 morale boost if all your units are from one faction...except for the Human and Neutral factions. You can get -morale from spell effects, unit abilities, and other sources. If you have Undead or Demons in your army, other troops hate that unless you have the Tolerance skill.
Quantity: The number indicates number of units in our army (duh).

At the bottom, we have the skull icon for dismissal, and a special upgrade button (only applicable for Priests, and only if we have the Inquisition skill).

With a few exceptions, I will put the unit data at the bottom of an update, like the other bonus material. I will also limit it to a certain number per update, even if we've seen more troops than that in action (otherwise I'd have like 14 cards to do for this update).

Let's take our new army for a spin. Some Dragonflies near the bridge should serve nicely as target practice.

Our mighty horde ok, small band of warriors join us in our first non-training combat against a combination of Lake Dragonflies and Fire Dragonflies. Lake Dragonflies are speedy, high initiative troops that do poison damage, but they are very fragile. Fire Dragonflies are mostly the same, but with fire.

NOT THE BEES! Also on the field is a new interactable, the Vespiary. This object sends out a horde of wasps to do physical damage to a random nearby troop. Not much of a threat ever, but it can be annoying.

[
Our Archmage, although feeling lonely in his troop of one, activates a Talent called Fighting Trance. This doubles his damage for 2 rounds, and increases his chance to cause Shock with his attack.

Archmages attack with a spear of lightning that reaches anywhere on the battlefield with no range penalties.

Shock is a pretty useful debuff to apply. It reduces the initiative of the troop by 1, but more importantly reduces their Action Points to 1 for that turn. So these Dragonflies can only move 1 space this turn instead of 6. However, Shocking a unit that has already finished its turn is pointless.

Our Mage shows these Dragonflies that Fire resistant does not mean Fire proof, and the battle is soon over.

We grab the spoils of combat from the nearby bag, which turns out to be a few scrolls of Stoneskin. This Distortion spell buffs Defense and Physical Resist. It's actually a pretty nice spell, but better for Warriors/Paladins. I learn it, but we may not see it in use for a while.

We follow the trail of Plugens east, where we can see the robbed cart in the distance. We loot the countryside as we go, nabbing a couple of banners, some gold, and this:

This sprout belongs to a class of usable items I call creature containers. By using them, we get a small number of a certain variety of troops. These sprouts sprout into Thorn-Hunters, which are a ranged Level 1 plant unit. I'd say 80% of creature containers are useless. You only get a few low-level units out of most of these, and need many of them to get a full strength stack. I'll be selling most of these.

We reach the cart and find the robber hasn't left the scene of the crime at all. Rule of thumb: If you steal a whole bunch of valuable Royal treasure, it's a good idea to move more than five feet away. Well, I guess this is a form of natural selection.

Further enforcing my opinion of his stupidity, the robber moves his troops into this position. Rule of thumb #2: When you fight mages, don't do this. I mean, this is just begging to have hot fiery death rain down from above. And I can't resist it.

Arrrgh! One of the Robber stacks uses a Talent called Greed that lets them teleport next to a chest on the battlefield, and then he steals my treasure. I'm the official Treasure Searcher, so all treasure belongs to me. I mean, I know they're robbers and all, but drat it.

So gently caress these guys. Rule of thumb #3: Don't take my poo poo. I'm the Treasure Searcher, says so on the business cards.

We steal the Plugens back.

Still a few Plugens short of 400, we go hunting for the rest. I guess these bears stole these from the cart too?

I always feel a little guilty fighting wandering troops of just wild animals, especially when it's 'real' animals like bears and wolves.

I somehow missed this last stack of Plugens, but find them by searching along the road back to the castle. That done, we head in to see the King and report success on our first job.

: I've found all the Plugens and punished the robbers, Your Majesty!
: Not bad, Bill Gilbert. I think you shall be an excellent Treasure Searcher. (Reward: 1000 Gold, 60 Experience)
: Yes, I had to run all over in search of them, and it hasn't been easy.

Next time, we will ignore the King's Quest for a bit and do a bit of sidequesting and exploration in Greenwort. We will also take a look at the map screen, and we will do weeding for the local community.

----------------------------------------------
Bonus Material

Talkin' 'bout Troops
Welcome to the newest addition to the bonus section, where I'll discuss units we see on our journey. Today, we will take a look at the units that compose Bill Gilbert's current army.

Priest

Resistances: 10% Magic
Critical Hit %: 5
Defense Bonus: 3

Talents
Healing: Recovers 10 points of health to the selected troop. Charges: 2.
Bless: Blesses target for 2 turns, causing it to inflict maximum damage. Decreases the combat performance of undead troops. Reload: 1.

Abilities
Holy Attack: Ranged Attack, which does double Magic Damge to the undead.
Holiness: Takes no penalties for the presence of undead in the army.
No melee penalty: The creature inflicts the same damage during Melee and Ranged Attacks

Gully's opinion: Priests are decent early game units, especially going into undead areas. Their ranged attack is fairly weak, but very strong if against undead. Healing is useful only in the early game for the most part. Bless is also alright, and can be great with the right unit combination.

Fighting them: No real threat, since I don't tend to use undead, and their damage is low. Plus they will waste turns blessing/healing.

Bowman

Resistances: None
Critical Hit %: 10
Defense Bonus: 3

Talents
Ice Arrow: Discharges an Ice Arrow, dealing 3-4 damage and freezing the target (-1 Speed for 3 turns)
Fire Arrow: Discharges a Fire Arrow, dealing 4-5 fire damage and burning the target. Requires Training 2 (Might Tier 1).

Abilites
Archer: Ranged Attack (half damage retaliation, half damage if long range)

Gully's opinion: Not the strongest ranged troop, but usually ends up a staple for me anyways. Ice Arrow is basically a free cast of Slow level 1, which is very useful. Fire Arrow (which is meant more for Warriors) adds extra damage and flexibility against physical resistance, and is great if they have Fire vulnerability (Plants, Undead). There's another ability that extends their usefulness into the end game as well. They also act as a damage soak for more valuable units, since the AI looooves targeting them. It's a good thing they will soon be available in infinite numbers.

Fighting them: They have lowish HP, so spells and ranged attacks cut them down easily enough, and they will die quickly if you get into melee with them. Can be painful in large numbers though.

Swordsman

Resistances: Physical 20%
Critical Hit %: 8
Defense Bonus: 4

Talents
Smashing Blow: Attacks the enemy fiercely, dealing 6-9 damage. Reload: 2. Requires Training 1 (Might Tier 1)

Abilities
Armor: Good Physical Damage Resistance

Gully's opinion: A decent tank unit for the early game. Good Defense stat, decent HP, and Physical Resist makes these guys quite durable early on. Speed 3 is also not bad to have (faster than our other jokers right now). Their damage output is low for us, but actually quite good once we get Training 1 and Smashing Blow, which gives them a strong first attack.

Fighting them: Spells and non-physical damage helps deal with them faster. Slow and Freeze will keep them away longer as well, if their stack is large enough to be really dangerous.

Peasant

Resistances: None
Critical Hit %: 10
Defense Bonus: 1

Talents: None

Abilities
Team Spirit: For every 30 peasants in a troop, Attack is increased by 1 (maximum +10).

Gully's opinion: I don't like these guys, they are literally cannon fodder and will die in droves. But they are cheap, plentiful, and who cares if they die? They have low speed for a melee unit, and so work best to help defend ranged units. They do actually have high HP for their Leadership (of course, 1 Defense offsets that). Ironically, they can also have one of the strongest possible damage outputs in the game, at 0.3 damage/Leadership, and their attack is actually OK due to Team Spirit when in large number. They are also a good Bless target. I've heard that late game, if you have the gold to spare, huge stacks of Blessed Peasants are fantastic damage dealers, especially with Teleport.

Fighting them: Easy prey. They die to anything really fast, and even Slow 1 and Freeze cut their move to a crawl. Even large stacks just evaporate.

Archmage

Resistances: 50% Magic
Critical Hit %: 7
Defense Bonus: 4

Talents
Magic Shield: Gives the target a magical defense for 3 turns, during which the target will only talk half damage. Reload: 1.
Fighting Trance: The Mage falls into a fighting trance for 2 turns. Attack as welll as probability of Shock and Critical Attack is increased by 100%, but Defense is decreased by 50%. While in trance, the Mage is not able to use any other abilities. Reload: 2. The tool tip lies, it actually doubles Damage, not Attack.
Telekinesis: Moves a friendly or enemy troop one cell in any direction, provided the target cell is free.

Abilities
Lightning: Hits the target with lightning at a distance. Inflicts Magic Damage and has a chance of shocking the target.
Magic Protection: Gives the creature 50% Magic Resistance.
Immune to Mind spells: The creature is immune to mind spells and effects.

Gully's opinion: These guys are interesting tech units. They have very low damage output for their Leadership cost, and very low HP as well. However, their base damage is increased to at least a decent level by Fighting Trance, at the payoff of not being able to use their other Talents. Magic Shield is very very good, since it cuts any source of damage in half and stacks with Resistances. I forget to use Telekinesis, but it can be good to get one of your units in range to attack, or keep a dangerous stack away. I always use them for a bit in the early game, partially out of a lack of replacements, and partly because they are Level 4 units, which lets them ignore certain fear effects. Their initiative is also decent, so my Mage can cast spells early.

Fighting them: They have low HP, so spells are usually great to kill them (just avoid Magic damage). Their Shock effect can be annoying. Usually not present in large enough numbers to be difficult to deal with.

Spells Seen
None!

Skills Shown

Wisdom
Magic, Tier 1
Increases the amount of the hero's Mana and the maximum number of scrolls in his Spell Book.
Prerequisites: None
Level 1: Mana +10, Scrolls +2. Cost: 0/0/4
Level 2: Mana +20, Scrolls +4. Cost: 0/0/7
Level 3: Mana +30, Scrolls +6. Cost: 0/0/10

Gully's opinion: Max mana is useful, but the cost is too high for more than 1 level for the early game. Eventually it is handy to invest in, as Level 3 spells get fairly expensive. The scroll capacity is largely useless, especially for a mage. Scrolls are cast at Level 1, so its usually better to use your own, better spells.

Meditation
Magic, Tier 10
Speeds up the Mana restoration of the hero while on the adventure map.
Level 1: Mana regeneration rate increased by 30%. Cost: 0/1/1
Level 2: Mana regeneration rate increased by 60%. Cost: 0/1/2
Level 3: Mana regeneration rate increased by 100%. Cost 0/1/3

Gully's opinion: I stick with one level. It is mostly a convenience thing, since you can alomst always just wait a bit longer if you need mana, plus there are mana fountains, mana potions, and other sources. The only benefit is to get full mana quickly before your Rage drains away, so you can go into battle with high Mana and high Rage.

Distortion Magic
Magic, Tier 2
This skill allows the hero to learn and upgrade Distortion Magic spells.
Prerequisites: Wisdom, Meditation
Level 1: Distortion spells can be learned from scrolls. Cost: 1/1/4
Level 2: Distortion spells can be upgraded to level 2. Cost: 2/2/7
Level 3: Distortion spells can be upgraded to level 3. Cost 3/3/10

Gully's opinion: One of the best magic schools, especially for non-Mages. Contains lots of key buffs/debuffs (like Slow), as well as some great crowd-control tools. For non-Mages, Distortion 2 is my magic priority. As a Mage, I'll level Chaos first, but this is still very good.

Concentration
Magic, Tier 2
Allows the hero to restore Mana during combat.
Prerequisites: Meditation
Level 1: 2 Mana restored per turn. Cost: 0/3/8
Level 2: 4 Mana restored per turn. Cost: 0/3/9
Level 3: 6 Mana restored per turn. Cost: 0/3/10

Gully's opinion: As a Mage, get this to Level 3 eventually. Especially with the ability to double cast, you need some Mana regen in combat. Non-mages can afford to only get 1 level, since they cast cheaper spells. One note: this only applies for the first 10 turns of combat, so this runs out as a Mana source in long battles.

Items Identified

Thorns Sprout

Description: A big green sprout, covered with tiny thorns.
Type: Used Item
Info: A big thorny sprout of the natural plant, Thorn.

Plugens

Description: Metal rectangles upon which the Darion crown is engraved.
Type: Quest
Info: The plugen is the invention of one of the court treasurers. Plugens are used instead of taxes.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 22, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Welp, since we're going to be a mage, then you better get your butt to higher magic and bend the game in two :downs:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

mauman posted:

Welp, since we're going to be a mage, then you better get your butt to higher magic and bend the game in two :downs:

Planning on it. It will be a few levels before we get there though, since its at the bottom of the tree, and the first level is like 5/5/20 runes. I usually go Chaos 2 as the first priority, then start saving for Higher Magic (after all the prereqs are bought).

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The quest log in KB does very good job at telling you what to do: bookmark anything important on the map. The first continent is relatively painless. Once you leave Darion, the game is not so nice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do simple enough enemies, like, willingly group up for easier explosions?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Higher Magic; so good that they nerfed it in later games and it still broke the game.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The best spells aren't even that expensive to cast.

Glazius posted:

The AI tends to target units based on if they have ranged attacks, will take the most damage or are in range. Stacks of the same unit will therefore appear to act in tandem because they move one after another but it's not clever enough to emulate player tactics like baiting retaliation or body blocking.

As a result while low leadership units tend to have the highest damage for leadership ratios, the AI will throw the kitchen sink at them (quickly reducing their damage output) if you don't give it more enticing targets.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Hopefully watching this will help me suck less at the sequel of Armored Princess. Not really a spoiler when you can find out there is a sequel to this one.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Glazius posted:

Not really, but they don't ever try to avoid it. That grouping looks more intentionally bad than it was. Basically, the two Robber stacks hadn't acted yet, the one Marauder stack in between them decided to wait, while the others moved in front, probably on a path to get to my Bowmen. So only one stack moved for that to happen. Since almost all combats start out with the stacks lined up along the opposite walls, if you go first you can always hit at least three stacks with a Fireball.

IAmTheRad posted:

Hopefully watching this will help me suck less at the sequel of Armored Princess. Not really a spoiler when you can find out there is a sequel to this one.

No worries, I'm not trying to hide that there are sequels, I've already talked about them in vague terms. As long as it doesn't turn into a discussion solely about the future games, I don't care. For spoilers, I'd prefer if specific bosses/encounters weren't brought up until we see them, and avoid in-depth discussions of how to use units/spells we haven't even seen, much less had a chance to recruit/buy.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Armored Princess is quite a bit more punishing than The Legend in my experience - if you can't build effective ways to waste your enemies' time, they grind you down something fierce. I typically play one difficulty level lower than I would be playing The Legend on if I want the same challenge.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm not a fan of Archmages at all though. Too little damage for their cost, and in this game, money is pretty hard to come by. Then again, I'm not a fan of any Human unit in particular, they're all pretty weak.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
In my experience, humans are pretty squarely Good Enough. Horsemen and Swordsmen are pretty damned sturdy beatsticks if you're not afraid to take casualties, and Bowmen/Priests are respectable-but-squishy ranged DPS. Knights aren't literally the best tank in the game, but they're easily in the top 5 (and their Armored Princess palette swap is a serious contender for #1). There are always units I'd rather have, but that's true for the vast majority of units in this game. If I'm going into a fight where I know I'll take a bunch of casualties, I'll often stuff my special snowflakes into the reserves and get humans to power through.

I agree with you that Archmages are bad though. Their shock effect is crazy powerful, but even with their battle trance they deal so little damage they're hard to take seriously.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Eeepies posted:

I'm not a fan of Archmages at all though. Too little damage for their cost, and in this game, money is pretty hard to come by. Then again, I'm not a fan of any Human unit in particular, they're all pretty weak.

Archmages are not going to blow anyone away with their damage, they only do slightly more than priests and come in significantly less numbers. They have ample utility though. Telekinesis lets you move a unit closer to a chest or an enemy away from a ranged unit to keep it firing another turn. Shock is a very good debuff when it kicks in. Finally magic shield cuts all sources of damage by 50% for three turns on any unit you choose. Due to decent initiative they can work their magic before the majority of units act. Archmages are one way of achieving loseless victories so you never have to worry about money or finding unit replacements until you encounter tough heroes.

Personally I find humans have a decent roster that still works later on and only get better in the sequel. They may not be the best but they can plug up any deficiencies in your lineup.

e:beaten like a stack of peasants

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Eeepies posted:

I won't be keeping Archmages for too long, for pretty much that reason. Their damage output is too low past the early game. I disagree about Human units though. They are definitely not the strongest, but they are generally decent, and their availability is the best in the game, so they are always there for you. As those above say, they are good enough.

But money has never been an issue for me, probably because I play on Normal. I know on Hard/Impossible money becomes much harder to come by.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Delacroix posted:

Archmages are not going to blow anyone away with their damage, they only do slightly more than priests and come in significantly less numbers. They have ample utility though. Telekinesis lets you move a unit closer to a chest or an enemy away from a ranged unit to keep it firing another turn. Shock is a very good debuff when it kicks in. Finally magic shield cuts all sources of damage by 50% for three turns on any unit you choose. Due to decent initiative they can work their magic before the majority of units act. Archmages are one way of achieving loseless victories so you never have to worry about money or finding unit replacements until you encounter tough heroes.

Personally I find humans have a decent roster that still works later on and only get better in the sequel. They may not be the best but they can plug up any deficiencies in your lineup.

e:beaten like a stack of peasants

The main utility for Shock is that it allows you to use magic to halt a different enemy unit or deal damage. Later in the game and in later games in the series, you either have other options or there's so many dangerous enemy stacks that you need to lock a lot more than one or two down to sweep the board. Archmages do have a few other advantages, like not suffering a range penalty, and they're often one of the few higher level ranged attackers available to you at certain stages of the game. Then again, I tend to roll with a mostly ranged army except for certain specific circumstances, because dealing unanswered damage is always preferable to a fighting exchange.

Both magic shield and telekinesis are useful later in the series when your characters can get benefits for meeting certain achievements (killing X enemies, dealing Y damage of particular types, casting Z number of a specific list of spells). But we can discuss that when the mechanic is introduced. TK is useful in very specific circumstances where a battlefield has only a few paths for enemies to reach you, as you can use an enemy that already moved to block in several stacks.

I like human troops, but much like in the original King's Bounty they tend to be second-best at doing everything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I really like demon troops (and dragons), but they're kinda less convenient to use than humans for obvious reasons. Stupid king not allowing them to set up shop in the castle to summon up infernal beings for sale. :argh:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Delacroix posted:

Personally I find humans have a decent roster that still works later on and only get better in the sequel.

Well yes, human units in the sequel are pretty good, but in terms of this game's context I never feel happy using them. Sure, they're plentiful, but I feel like if you ever fall back on using them the game turns much harder.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Update 6: Weeding out the Weak

Last time, we were given a task by the King to deliver a replica Royal Seal to his brother. So naturally, we will completely ignore that quest and instead explore for nearby treasure. Hey, the King made us a Treasure Searcher, not a postman.

Right past the bridge out of town is the village we passed by last time while hunting for plugens. Let's go say hi.

: Good day, traveler. What did you want to know from me?
: Hey, elder, why are you so gloomy? What happened?
: I'm gloomy because random strangers come up and call me 'elder'. I don't look that old, drat it!

: Predatory plants? Interesting, interesting...Can you tell anything about them. I bet it's possible to exterminate them with fire and sword. If not then you've got a real problem.
: You're right. We've beaten and burned them, but it's all useless; still they come. Though I do have one idea. I heard from the villagers that a huge red Thorn has appeared by the lake - the likes of which nobody has seen before. And it appeared around the same time that these creatures started to crawl into our gardens. I think that's what you need to look for. That may be the root of the problem. (Reward: 1000 Gold, 65 Experience)
: Hah, 'root' of the problem, get it?! I thought up that one while waiting for the inevitable questing adventurer to take care of our problems.
: Ok, I'll try to find it.

See, we Searched and found a source of 1000 gold right here! Just need to apply a minimal amount of effort to acquire it.

Hey, maybe this is the Thorn the elder was talking about?

Nope, just a collection of Thorn-Hunters and Thorn-Warriors. These are low level, fragile enemies, with Hunters being ranged attackers, and Warriors the melee version (details in the bestiary section of this update).

As a mage, we are easily able to deal with these guys. See, they are Plants. This gives them some benefits like Poison resistances and immunity to certain spells. But it comes with a whopping 100% Vulnerability to Fire damage. So our fire spells will do double damage to them. Thorns will need to be in huge numbers to be much of a threat to a mage.

So we do what we love.

I leave one of the Thorn-Hunter stacks alive so that I can reach the chest. It is important to get any chest possible. Sure, we already have this spell, but it could have been something new. We can also get Runes from battle-chests, which is a great prize as well.

We do have our first casualty of the campaign (not counting the tutorial), as the Thorn-Hunters targeted my Peasants while we went for the chest. Am I a bad person for sacrificing a dude just for some duplicate scrolls?

A nearby woman's hut also seems to have a Thorny problem of its own.

: Good day, warrior!
: Good day, kind woman!
: I hope you can help me...I'm an old woman; I can't cope with the trouble that has come to my house. Terrible creatures, evil Thorns have come into my garden. I can neither gather the harvest nor feed my cows. Help me, kind man - save me from this trouble. (Reward: Thorns Sprout (3 pcs.), 65 Experience)
: Why not, I'll do it.

Quest accepted, the gate swings open, and the Thorns attack. They look so cute when they go for a bite like this.

We can never be attacked by more than one enemy army at a time, so we fight these armies one at a time.

And we take care of them as we know how to do. The second fight does show off a unique feature of Thorns.

Thorns (both Hunter and Warrior variants) have a Talent called Sowing. It lets them plant a seed on a battlefield corpse, which immediately sprouts into a new stack of Thorns (the type grown seems to be random). The number sprouted is between 25% and 50% of the stack using the Talent (minimum of 1).

Having destroyed the infesting Thorns, we pick up the guarded scroll.

Dispel is an Order spell that removes magical effects. Not often used, but it can be very useful when the enemy decides to use certain disabling spells. Higher levels allow you to remove effects from enemies as well, and selectively remove effects.

We knock on Wilma's door again.

: Thank you! I'll surely come back later.

On our way out of town, Bill sees another house with the icon that indicates someone to talk to.

: Good day, traveler. Where do you come from? My name is Maria. Maybe you've heard about me?
: Hello, Maria, I'm Bill Gilbert. No, I haven't heard about you. Should I have?

: Yes, good idea! Using dragonflies' wings instead of window glass...You're smart, Maria!
: I mean, who wouldn't want a window made out of the flesh of a freshly-killed giant insect?
: Thank you for your words, kind man. Maybe you could offer me a little help as well? I'm not so young anymore, and it's hard for me to go around and gather shredded dragonfly wings by myself. But if somebody young and strong like you were to help me... And for those wings I'll give you magic stones crystals. My husband was a pretty decent sorcerer back in the day, and I inherited a lot of his crystals. But I don't actually need them... So if you find such wings anywhere, please bring them to me. I can give you one crystal for every three wings.
: Magic crystals for dragonfly wings? Not bad! If I manage to find some, I'll be back!

This is quite a nice for us as a Mage, as we will eventually want all the crystals we can get our hands on.

Behind her hut, yet another Thorn is guarding a scroll bag. Let's burn them out.

We get a new spell here, Precision. This Distortion spell gives ranged units bonus damage. The Level 3 version includes a mass effect, which is actually pretty effective if you go ranged-heavy. It is also one of the few buff spells that has increased effect from Intellect.

We head out of the village towards the lake. The approach is guarded, but we also find a precious Mind rune. The shimmering curtain here marks the transition to another region.

As we go in for the rune, we see our Treasure-Sense is still working, but the guard is not about to let us dig freely.

We face an eclectic range of units, including a couple of Guardsmen (a higher-tier version of Swordsmen).

New units to fight means new units to roast.

The enemy Priest pauses to heal the last Guardsman. This is one of the reasons I never find Priests threatening. Sure, this heals the unit, but the Priests do no damage. And even if they have like 100 Priests, the AI will still do this sometimes.

We finish them off with no losses. Unfortunately, the buried chest they were guarding was just another Precision scroll.

We reach the lake, which is swarming with Dragonflies as well as Thorns.

One of the annoying thing about fighting Dragonflies is that they have both high speed and high initiative, so will often be able to open chests before you can even do anything. They also tend to stay less bunched up for Fireballs.

Besides losing a couple of Peasants, we clear out the nearby groups. We do get more dragonfly wings to exchange for crystals though.

One last group of Thorns falls to our blades (ok, to our Fireballs) and we can reach the red Thorn.

We could attack the Royal Thorn to complete the quest. I admit, I've never actually seen what happens if we do that. But we'd miss out on a decent reward if we do.

: Hey-hey! You'd better not call me food. Can't we just talk as two intelligent...creatures?
: To have a talk? Can the walking-on-two-legs talk peacefully? Those who come before you, they just beat us with sparkling sticks and burn us with lightnings. They say my children came to lands of walking-on-two-legs.
: And why do you smell so strongly of my children and burning?
: Yes, well that's true. Your children pursue the villagers - they're all over the village. People are dying!
: We don't care about the walking-on-two-legs. Our children begin to die - there is no tasty soil for them! And the walking-on-two-legs' soil is tasty. Children must go to tasty soil. If we find tasty soil, then we will leave the walking-on-two-legs' land.
: Hmm. You need someone to find tasty soil for you? Ok, I'll ask the villagers about that...

We travel back to the village by a different path, encountering more dragonflies. A view of our Peasants in action, forking the enemeny.

The victory pushes us over the top to reach a new level!

Level 3

For this level, I choose the Leadership bonus to strengthen our army. I'm still a few Magic runes short of being able to pick up Chaos Magic, so I instead learn our first Might skill with Training 1. This will give our Swordsmen the ability to do a Smashing Blow, a strong attack, every other round.

We find this scroll by the lake as well. Magic Spring is a Distortion spell that increases the Defense of a friendly troop and gives Mana when that troop gets damaged. Useful for those longer fights when Mana starts running low.

Bill takes a look at a nearby statue, drawn by its power.

I guess hearing voices is a good thing sometimes? Bill isn't too delusional to forget about picking up the floating Might rune anyways.

Returning to the village elder with our news of the Royal Thorn:
: So, did you find the huge flower? I tell you - that one is the cause of our misfortune.
: Hum. I don't really know how to tell. I found, but... You know, Etvid, it actually can talk. And it says that they've come to your gardens for tasty soil. Do you know what it could mean?

: the elder.
: Wilma? Of course, we know each other already. I cleared her garden from Thorns. I expect she'll be pleased to help.

Back to Wilma:
: Glad to see you, young man. What brings you here?
: Good day, Wilma. I need a cow, so Etvid told me about you. You're a milk-woman, and your cows are the best in all of Greenwort.
: A cow you say.. And what do you need it for? All cows are different you know. Zorka has a delicate and sensitive heart. You can't shout at her, or whip her with a stick. Nochka is the exact opposite - so naughty! This cow is given to butting, and I don't know what to do with her - you'd better not approach her without a stick. And Ladushka is so obedient and clever, and the milk she gives is so fatty.
: I need a cow which can help fertilize gardens.
: Ha-a! Then Star would be the best for you! What a cowpie she makes! It's just wonderful - each like a big star, that's why I call her Star. And the droppings are rich and aromatic - just right for the garden. I'll give her to you for just 500 gold coins, since I remember your service - you saved me from those terrible Thorns! Thank you so much for your help with them.
: Ok. Here's the 500 gold coins.

And back to the Royal Thorn with the #1 shittiest cow:
: So what, walking-on-two-legs, have you found any tasty soil for us?
: Better! I found out how to make your soil tasty! Here it is - I've brought you a cow! If you feed it with grass and water, it will make your soil tasty!
: How strange is this cow... This walking-on-four-legs eats grass and makes soil tasty?!! Good. Walking-on-two-legs are resourceful, they have cows for tasty soil. Now we have a cow too. We won't come to your land any more, walking-on-two-legs.
: Great! Don't forget - it must be fed with grass and water!

When we talk to the Royal Thorn again:
: Is it you, walking-on-two-legs? do the tasty-soil-people complain about my children again? We don't go to their lands anymore; we have much s-sweet soil here. Your walking-on-four-legs feeds us good.
: No, they don't complain about your children, on the account that your children are dead of Sudden Onset Fireball Syndrome
: I could take some of your children to the other tasty soil.

And the Royal Thorn has become an outpost! Completing quests often give new sources of troops and other items.

We've found our replacement for the Peasants! They will basically be ranged Peasants for us - same HP, same damage, slightly more expensive, and ranged. And with 1400 available, we've got plenty to spare.

Let's take these babies for a test-drive. This army has been guarding an altar near the Magic School.

Short and Long Range attacks

Let's talk about range and archers. Some ranged units, like the Archmages, do full damage no matter what range they shoot. However, most ranged units only do 50% damage at long range. For instance, our new Thorn-Hunters above would be shooting long range here.

If we move a couple hexes closer, we find that we can do twice as much damage. This is one of the benefits of being able to move and shoot in this game, you can shuffle archers forward to increase damage.

The actual hex distance varies between units. For these Thorn-Hunters, anything within 4 hexes is a short range attack. Both Bowmen and Priests have a longer range, so anything within 6 hexes is short range. When you are playing the game, you will have a broken arrow icon if your archer is at long range, and a straight arrow when at short-range.

The Thorns do a great job, I'd say. Using plant monsters to kill local peasants...that's not a bad thing ,right?

Let's investigate the altar they were guarding.

This magic altar powers up our Intellect. Fantastic! Worth the killing I'd say. Let us finally finish this weeding quest and return to the elder with our news.

: So, did you find Wilma the milk-woman? Did she give you one of her cows?
: Yes, it's ok, don't worry. The villagers are safe now; I came to an agreement with the giant Thorn. It won't bother you anymore.
: Thank you, Bill Gilbert! The villagers will never forget you. (Reward: 1000 Gold, 65 Experience)
: You're welcome, I'm always glad to help.

Here's a look at Bill Gilbert after filling up our army.

Next time on King's Bounty, we will have a chat with a zombie, lure a bear, help out the local fisherman, and continue to avoid the main quest.

------------------------------------------
Bonus Material

Marking the Map
Our next addition to the bonus material is a look at our ingame map.

When we pull it up, we get an animated view of clouds pulling away from the places we have been (since the last time we looked at it).

The village we've been doing our questing for is directly south of the castle, with the Magic School west of that. The lake where the dragonflies and Royal Thorn were is in the southwest. The Eastern road is where our Plugen hunt took us.

The world map so far.

Talkin' 'bout Troops
Today, we will look at the local plants and insects.

Thorn-Hunter

Resistances: 50% Poison, -100% Fire
Critical Hit %: 5

Talents
Sowing: Grows a troop of Thorns from the slain troop in a neighboring cell. The total Leadership of the new troop is: 2-4. Charges: 1.

Abilities
Archer
Plant: Plants have no Intellect or living flesh, and the have the following features: Vulnerable to Fire (200% Damage), Posion Protection (50% Damage), Immune to Mind spells and some other spells.
Eyeless: Immune to "Blind", "Precision" and "Shroud" spells. Can sense invisible creatures.
No melee penalty

Gully's opinion: These guys are great early archers. They have great damage output per Leadership. They have 3 speed, which means they can move 2 spaces and still shoot, and they are way better in melee than Bowmen. Their downside is their range (4 hexes for full damage) and fragility, especially if Fire spells get involved. Sowing isn't going to be too useful outside of a couple of circumstances, since you need a nearby corpse.

Fighting them: Burn them, if you can. Fragile, but they can be found in huge numbers, so they can deal out some damage. Being immune to Blind is frustrating if you've been depending on that to deal with archer stacks.

Thorn-Warrior

Resistances: 50% Poison, -100% Fire
Critical Hit %: 12
Defense Bonus: 2

Talents
Sowing

Abilites
Plant
Eyeless

Gully's opinion: I don't think I've ever used them except when sowed. Conceptually, better than Peasants at the glass cannon role. High damage for Leadership (especially if Blessed), decent speed, and decent HP. But they will melt in the face of attacks and retaliations, and without access to infinite recruits, its not going to be easy to replace them.

Fighting them: Burn them. But they are also quite fragile in melee, so you can usually cut their numbers down before they can retaliate.

Lake Dragonfly

Resistances: 30% Magic

Talents: None

Abilities
Soaring: Allows the creature to fly over low obstacles and road irregularities.
Magic Resistance: Gives the creature Magic Resistance ability.
Weakness: When attacking, the creature has 30% chance to cast "Weakness" on the enemy troop, lasting one turn.

Gully's opinion: Never used them. High damage output, fast, high initiative. Would be great glass cannons if you could find them in numbers. Super fragile.

Fighting them: Hit them with ranged and spells before fighting them in melee (if they have high numbers). Usually easy enough to cut down.

Fire Dragonfly

Resistances: 30% Fire

Talents
Haste: Doubles the quantity of Action Points. Reload: 1.

Abilities
Soaring
Fire Resistance: Gives the creature Fire Resistance.

Gully's opinion: Never used them. Conceptually similar to Lake Dragonflies. Although technically slower, the Haste Talent gives them 6 speed every other turn, which is insanely fast for this game. I could see them being good at darting into hit ranged units on the second turn. But again, fragile troops need basically infinite supply to use well.

Fighting them: See Lake Dragonfly. Only annoyance is that Fire spells/abilities will do much less damage.

Spells Seen
None!

Skills Shown

Training
Might, Tier 1
This skill helps the hero train his troops, teaching them new battle skills.
Prerequisites: None
Level 1: Swordsmen learn Smashing Blow talent. Cost: 2/0/0
Level 2: Bowmen learn Flaming Arrow talent. Cost: 3/1/0
Level 3: Knights learn Circle Attack talent. Cost: 4/2/0

Gully's opinion: Training gives your Human troops much needed Talents. Level 1 is required for advancement anyways, if you intend on doing anything further down. Smashing Blow turns an OK tank into an OK tank with decent damage. Level 2 is great for Warriors/Paladins for a source of Fire damage early in the game. Mages can probably skip unless you want to use Bowmen. Level 3 gives your Knights a fantastic offensive move. Really need to combine it with some movement spells so the Knights can position themselves to use it well.

Items Identified

Cow

Description: The cow, bought from the milk-woman.
Info: The ordinary cow with horns and hooves.

Dragonfly's Wing

Description: The translucent yet firm wing of a dragonfly.
Info: The firm, translucent wing of that strange cross between animal and insect known as the dragonfly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat, I had forgotten about the cow even though I remembered the rest of the thorns quest. Too bad you couldn't hire the big red one. :(

Oh man. You had to level up a hero skill in order for your troops to have all abilities like fire arrow? The later games sure changed a lot for convenience.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Never tried these games, though I saw a friend play them a bit. I appear to have Crossworlds GOTY from something or other, is that part of the Armoured Princess games, judging from the cover shot?

LP seems good so far, a balance of informative, showing the games humour, and showing your enjoyment of the game. Keep it up!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tylana posted:

Never tried these games, though I saw a friend play them a bit. I appear to have Crossworlds GOTY from something or other, is that part of the Armoured Princess games, judging from the cover shot?
Crossworlds is Armored princess + some arena minicampaigns + the expansion/balance pack Orcs On The March. If you launch it, make sure to play Orcs On The March, it's integrated into the campaign of Armored Princess, making it pretty much the definite version.
Perfectly clear, right?

e: Basically, if you want to be the princess, play the orcs.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Orc units are also pretty fun, they get powerups from hitting stuff and powerdowns from not hitting stuff, with some of the powerups being really strong.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice. I haven't booted it up yet, but the risk of going "I'll play Classic first" is a real one, andin some games, the wrong choice. ^-^

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Deeply disappointed that you won't be showing off this game's ultra-deep, Witcher-esque system of choices and consequences - though I guess I'm not one to talk, since I never wound up fighting the Royal Thorn either.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Doopliss posted:

Deeply disappointed that you won't be showing off this game's ultra-deep, Witcher-esque system of choices and consequences - though I guess I'm not one to talk, since I never wound up fighting the Royal Thorn either.

Haha, fair enough. I will put some choices up for a vote for some quests, I just like the Royal Thorn shop too much for the early game.

Tylana posted:

LP seems good so far, a balance of informative, showing the games humour, and showing your enjoyment of the game. Keep it up!

Thanks a ton, dude :). it's been fun to make so far. Lots of work but it feels great knowing that people are watching and enjoying it. And yeah, Crossworlds is the expansion for Armored Princess. If you play the Orcs on the March campaign, its the nearly the same as the Armored Princess campaign with new units, items, and quests added, so I do recommend it that way. That's what I'll be doing when we get there. These games are a little too long to be directly replayable without getting burned out, in my opinion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orcs are really good but man are they awful to fight against, especially later in the series. So many bullshit abilities. :gonk:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The real issue with Orc troops in Crossworlds is that the player's Orcs start with no Adrenaline, which is normal, but enemy Orcs start with a whole mess, so they can drop all of their nasty abilities immediately.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Plants often overlook the many important roles plant-eaters play in their continued livelihood.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So should I get a few Pirates early to get more money or is the boost not really that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
One thing that you can miss in an SSLP is that this game is a thing of beauty in motion. Most notably in this case, Thorns have less in common with the Zerg than they do puppies.

So goddamn adorable.

Koorisch posted:

So should I get a few Pirates early to get more money or is the boost not really that good?
I wouldn't bother. You'll typically have enough money to keep yourself set with whatever troops you'd like, and while it might or might not help you afford some fancy equipment earlier it's not at all worth filling one of your only five unit slots with a sub-par choice - particularly since Pirates don't really have any survivability tricks, meaning you'll be paying quite a lot to keep your squad count up.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread