Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

If I buy the founders edition on G2A right now will I still get mad SK?

You will get enough keys to unlock every character except for 2-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Taiso posted:

I gotchu fam
http://imgur.com/a/ju0AI

They had very high expectations due to the E3 buzz (it got so many awards), so I think they were freaking out the game was flopping and doing everything they could to squeeze every nickle they could out of the playerbase.

This is loving awesome. You rule.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Playing coordinated hunters is a good way to learn things. The CTS mumble is a good place to meet new people to play this.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Taiso posted:

They had very high expectations due to the E3 buzz (it got so many awards), so I think they were freaking out the game was flopping and doing everything they could to squeeze every nickle they could out of the playerbase.
It's worth noting that the DLC bullshit was around at launch so it can't really be said that they did weird poo poo with the DLC out of desperation at the sight of poor sales.

The weird DLC situation is almost certainly because Evolve had been in development for a very long time and 2k were desperate to make back the $11million they paid for the game(acquiring it during the THQ sell-off), they wanted to make their money back and they wanted to do it fast, but it backfired and scared off a ton of people who thought the game looked dope.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Never 4get that the game was announced by someone accidentally leaking a DLC ad...

The tone was set from the start.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

If I buy the founders edition on G2A right now will I still get mad SK?

Founders gets you all these characters(should include behemoth, I got a separate key for him):
30,000 keys
12 monster perks
12 hunter perks

Amazon seems to have similar prices, and if you're in the UK the prices are for some reason much lower.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I tried Slim now that he's free. What the gently caress is even happening.

I have no idea what I was doing. Do I aim the bug? Do I spam it or just send it out occasionally? What the gently caress is this?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Mister Bup posted:

I have no idea what I was doing. Do I aim the bug? Do I spam it or just send it out occasionally? What the gently caress is this?

I plan on adding slim to the OP soon. He's a bit odd but I understand him really well

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
He's a bug man. All he wants is honey.

Fukkin' nuff said.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I did it... I sold my soul to the devil for SK and unlocks... It's so much stuff lol. Skins galore also.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Liu posted:

you can preserve your win rate by simply leaving games so dont post scoreboards as they mean nothing, thanks

Yeah, I've never left a game, it doesn't really take trickery to get that sort of score and it's not like I posted it for bragging rights. I'm fully convinced that I'd go 1-29 against Wraith as a hunter unless I had some really good teammates to carry me. There's a way higher skill floor for hunters than there is for Wraith.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wraith seems like total poo poo in my experience :shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Mister Bup posted:

Slim's bug is a healing drone that will continually heal anyone you aim it at (as long as you see it actually stick to them and not explode on terrain or anything) but it dies if it gets hit by anything so it won't continually protect someone and thus you have to keep releasing new ones.

Slim's +4 is an AOE heal that is really good at healing everyone near you but you have to charge it up by shooting the monster (or any enemies) with your shotgun.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Hmm I picked up the tech hank and I think I understand how he works (shields build up and are permanent compared to normal hank), but I don't feel like he is as good as normal hank. Anyone with more experience able to shed light on how the two variants compare in depth?

My normal hank is like 90% wins in 20+ games because if the monster focuses the medic you can be the silent hero if you are on spot with the shields.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I like tech hank a little more, since his orbital drill is pinpoint-accurate, instant-firing, and slowly follows the monster, which gives you the potential to demolish a slowed or evolving monster. The permanent shields are perfect for spamming; just mash 4 whenever you're all grouped up and keep everyone topped off once the cooldown finishes.

His primary weapon is weaker than original-flavor hank, but like the orbital drill its dead-accurate and is absolutely nasty if you can aim while there's weakpoints on the monster.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Slim's bug is good for the same reason it's garbage, it's fantastic for picking up people who are out of the action that you can't feasibly get over to to pick up, but that is also it's only use, and trying to make use of it outside of that situation is time better spent peppering the monster with your peashooter so you can pop more aoe heals.

Knifegrab posted:

Wraith seems like total poo poo in my experience :shrug:

Wraith's greatest strength is that players don't know how her skills work, if the hunters are familiar with wraith and can identify a decoy and know how the abilities work then like the rest of the matchups in the game it's about how people play moment to moment and they should stand as much of a chance against wraith as they do goliath(assuming appropriate picks).

Also goddamn 30 seconds is too low a cooldown on planet scanner.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The game mode with a second monster was Nest and Defend. But you're probably thinking more of Nest.

I kinda miss the other game modes because as bad as they were they at least added some variety. But it was pretty shittly balanced variety. so i'm glad it's gone.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mister Bup posted:

Aim your healing drone at your teammate and you should see a green triangle above them when you release it. The drone will fly out then teleport to them if too far (otherwise it'll just stick to them). It's mostly for picking up fallen teammate from long range or toppling off people that's been hit by wildlife from across the map. It has no health and will get destroyed instantly if hit.

Slim's main healing source comes from his 4. His heal burst heals for less but has greater range then most other medic. He can reduce the cooldown of his 4 by shooting at things with his leech gun (based on pellet hit). In combat just fire off all your leech gun ammo, switch to spore launcher and fire, then switch back to your leech gun.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What does the spore launcher actually do, by the way?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

What does the spore launcher actually do, by the way?

Creates a fart cloud in which the monster's smell radius is reduced. Not sure how useful it is. I've never had it used against me as the monster.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It disables their smell ability entirely, as well as removing health bars / names. It's pretty disorienting.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
Me and a few friends tried out Maggie last night... we all ended up thinking she is garbage. Daisy is so slow, we were always ahead of her. Every other tracking method I've seen is more useful. I know she can pick people up in team fights but that seemed a bit underwhelming to me since a good healer can do that from range. Her tethers also seemed a little weak. Am I missing something here?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Tethers in general are pretty weak, they're very heavily dependent on positioning, and they don't really do much if a team-mate is pinned in a corner.

They're good for screwing with a monsters manoeuvrability, and Griffin's harpoon gun is great for messing with a monster's escape when the dome goes down, but the tethers are very easily broken.

One goon seemed to really like Wasteland Maggie's single longer range harpoon trap but in my experience it always got broken too quickly to be a decent source of damage and only being able to drop one at a time sucked for getting the most out of the actual tethering functionality, so YMMV.

Edit:
If you're having a poo poo time with tethers, stick to Abe or Crow who have reliable slows.

lohli fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 16, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Is levelling up Perks also a bad key investment (do they level by themselves) or is it just unlocking them that happens automatically?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Is levelling up Perks also a bad key investment (do they level by themselves) or is it just unlocking them that happens automatically?

None of it happens automatically, you get perk levels from levelling up characters. You can look at the level up rewards for characters via your profile and the perks unlock in tiers (1-10 bronze, 11-20 silver, etc.).

No idea if it's a bad use of keys to just buy them outright, though. Probably not if you already own every hunter/monster, I guess?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do we know if you'll eventually get all perks from levelling naturally, or will you always have to buy some?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

For all the DLC this game had, I'd expected there to be more skins.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I'm slowly learning how to play Gorgon better, I like her because when the shield goes down she can deuce out faster than any other monster. Basically, you throw spiders down , and if you see one abduct someone, you follow the spider with an acid trail. The person obviously can't avoid standing in the acid trail, and thus all but the tankiest assaults are instagibbed. It's a great way to take out medics that won't loving DIE...

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

KillerQueen posted:

For all the DLC this game had, I'd expected there to be more skins.

The variant characters seem like the stuff that would normally be skins, but it's neat that they're alternate versions of the character instead.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Now that I actually know what I'm doing this game is a total blast. Is there a list of what perks you can unlock by playing characters?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fadam posted:

Now that I actually know what I'm doing this game is a total blast. Is there a list of what perks you can unlock by playing characters?

Click on your profile and then onto the characters, they have a list of level-up bonuses for each.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
does anyone know what actually happens if you buy a perk that you are due to unlock through levelling up? Are they all earnable? If not do they get replaced with something else?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Liu posted:

does anyone know what actually happens if you buy a perk that you are due to unlock through levelling up? Are they all earnable? If not do they get replaced with something else?

It gets leveled up. If it's already maxed level you get some value of silver key.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I finished the Gorgon Stage 2 who went for me as I was the last Hunter remaining as Bucket. Man that poo poo feel GREAT. I'm really enjoying this game as a filler.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I think that was me >:o

Actually, I think mine was level 3. But I died to a last-man-standing bucket a couple hours ago, as Gorgon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

After I bought the founder's key I leveled up all 3 jetpack perks to rank 3 (the one that gives efficiency, recharge, and jump height), it cost about as much keys as buying two characters. I feel like those perks are pretty drat important/generalist but if I was doing it again I only would have ranked up the Gold one since silver/bronze got small returns from being leveled up.

Whether or not unlocking them right away is worth the price of two characters is up to you :shrug:

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
For hunters I've been using Regeneration for tier 1 and Thruster Recharge for 2 and 3.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Yeah, I've never left a game, it doesn't really take trickery to get that sort of score and it's not like I posted it for bragging rights. I'm fully convinced that I'd go 1-29 against Wraith as a hunter unless I had some really good teammates to carry me. There's a way higher skill floor for hunters than there is for Wraith.

I don't care :)
When turtle rock finally rectifies the fact that you can preserve your winrate/leaderboard position by leaving games is when people will actually give a poo poo. It's the golden rule of any Evolve discussion. No one is disputing the fact that a high win ratio is possible as either hunters or monsters.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Playing Sunny has taught me that most players in the level 15-20 range still aren't aware that jetpack dodging is a thing, no wonder monsters win so often at this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Shakill OReal posted:

Playing Sunny has taught me that most players in the level 15-20 range still aren't aware that jetpack dodging is a thing, no wonder monsters win so often at this level.

I think it's more just that inexperienced players don't know what all the characters do and aren't aware of what Sunny does. Playing her in random matchmaking, I've found much more success plugging in my mic so I can yell at people when they can dodge.

• Locked thread