Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette




Game Resources

Recruit Thread
Story Prelude
Discord Chat Channel
Orokos Dice Roller, campaign rolls


Cast



Prelude

This game's prelude took place during the recruitment phase. It is copied here as a summary, without the individual player responses.

DM posted:

Your mind is fuzzy, your vision blurry. Looking around, you can make out a ruined temple, overgrown with vines. Three armored figures stand in the distance, talking nervously among themselves.

Your skin is barely covered by a few torn scraps, mud and blood. Others in similar condition lay in a row alongside you.

What is this place? What happened?

Why are you tied up and gagged?

A gruff dwarf in chain armor approaches and looks down at you. His lengthy beard dangles a few inches above your face - he is standing up, you are laying on a mat. He reaches down and yanks out a leather strip from your mouth. You can see the imprint of teeth deeply in the leather. Did you do that?

"Anything yet? Where are you from? Altaris? Sorga? Ishull? Visiria?"

His words mean nothing. Your past is a blur. Then a few scenes pop into your head: vague memories of a deep forest, the smell of leather, red eyes peering through the trees. Blood and the hunt and fire and death.

You hear the dwarf say, "Ah dammit, not again," but he seems far away as you fade into unconsciousness.


~~~~~~~~~~

Prelude, Day One

As the ragged prisoners fall into and out of consciousness, an armored woman approaches the dwarf. The pair discuss something in hushed tones. The dwarf seems nervous as hell, constantly looking around the forest as if he expects an ambush. The woman seems less paranoid. She doesn't look around, like she doesn't care.

Snippets of their conversation can be picked up as you battle to stay awake.

"We've been here too long. I don't like this at all. Gonna 'ave to move em again, and soon."

"They need time. After what they've been through, what we've sacrificed..."

She sighs and takes a swig from something small. A flask?

"Aye, it better be worth the trouble."

"If it comes to it, don't let me wind up like them. Promise?"

She hands the flask to the dwarf, who drains it. He doesn't look her in the eye as he replies.

"Aye, I promise."


Prelude, Day Two

"What about those two? Ishullians, surely?"

"Aye, from the isles. Wild ones even before the Plague, I bet. The dragonborn were hard to bring down."

"And how about this one 'ere? Do your thing, lass."

The woman leans over you, smilling gently. Her voice is soft and calming.

"I'm going to untie you. Please stay calm, don't make a scene. I know this is confusing. We are here to help."

She removes your gag and unties your limbs. Guards are nearby, eyeing you warily, but for now you are free. You get a chance to stretch and move around - a painful experience. How long have you been bound?

Offering you a cup of water, the woman asks you to sit on a stump. She perches on another, a set of makeshift chairs amid the forest.

"I'm going to help you remember. Close your eyes. Take a few deep breaths. Think of home. Let it come to you..."

The sounds of the forest fade away.

DM posted:

Each PC has a different memory rise to the surface. These options were selected by the players during recruiting:

Sip - D
Sylmae - A
Vilnius - A
Jacques - B
Glory - D

(A): You hear the crash of waves and the smell of the sea fills the air. You rock gently, swaying with a ship. Sails unfold above you and catch a breeze as gulls cry in the distance. For a moment you feel at peace, free, and home once again. You see land in the distance - a misty shore, full of promise, and it has something you need...

(B): You hear the whispers of hushed voices down long hallways. There is the smell of burning incense covering musty rooms. You see a face, half-formed and transparent. But it doesn't feel scary - it feels familiar, and this place feels like home. Looking out a window, there is only grey sky, overcast and gloomy. There is something else, too, a secret...

(C): You hear the bustle of a crowded market. People of all races move past you in a hurry, going about their lives. Commoners, warriors, even a wizard or two. There is a desperate quality to their movements, their conversations and the way they haggle - but also a fierce resolve. You are one of them, and this feels like home. Your resolve is no less, and you are focused on one overriding goal...

(D): You hear the gentle sounds of the wilds: birds chirping happily, the rustles of squirrels through the trees and the broader sound of a breeze through the leaves. You feel a rushing pulse as you pursue game, hunting prey through a forest. You feel alive, at home, fulfilled - and then you catch up to your prey. It's a human woman, desperate and out of breath, terror etched on her face. The birds land in the trees nearby, patient as carrion, and look towards you expectantly. Their eyes are all red...


The rest of your memory can't quite be grasped, like a rope just out of reach. Your thoughts are interrupted by her voice.

"What do you remember? The more you tell, the more we can help."

Prelude, Day Three

After your 'interview' yesterday, your captors (or rescuers?) have allowed you to remain unbound. They have highly suggested you remain in camp, but no one chased the single runner last night.

The guards assume he is already dead.

As for the guards, they are maintaining their silence for the most part. To ease the return of your memory, they say. A few details do slip through or are overheard. From what you can gather, you are recovering from a plague. It doesn't seem to be contagious, or your guards are already immune, since they don't seem concerned with proximity. They spend most of their time focused outward, staring into the forest for attackers that have not come.

Not all of the plague victims have been as lucky as you. A few others are moving about, seeming to make a recovery, but some are still tied up, writhing in the throes of the plague. They flail against their bonds and bite at their leather gag. That was you, not too long ago.

Later in the day, you have a second session of remembrance with the strange woman.

"Yesterday, you thought of home. Today, consider the recent past. Think of someone important to you. Whom do you see?"

As before, you fall into a memory. A name comes to mind other than your own, for the first time. Magar. He stands before you, tall and wildly bearded, wearing thick hides and an iridescent breastplate that seems to be a giant bug carapace. His scent is thick and his voice booms.

All around you is a disturbing scene. Magar seems pleased. He hands you a horn full of blood, of which you drink deeply.

"Now you are a true Visirian."

The memory fades.

"You can talk of this later, if you wish. Some things take time to process. You are free to remain at the camp, unbound, and mingle with others who have awoken. Perhaps sharing your experiences will help your memory to return. But please do not leave; you are not yet ready."


DM posted:

The memory of Magar is shared by all. What differs is the details of the "disturbing scene." For some, it is a flaming field with corpses of farmers piled high. For others, a burnt-out building with fresh slaves being led away. All are scenes of war and conquest, and no mercy is shown.

Prelude, Day Four
Morning


The morning brings with it a stillness in the air. Gone are the chirps of birds and other noises of the forest, of which you have become accustomed during your time in recovery here. It doesn't take long for the guards to notice, and become even more paranoid.

"There, in the tree! We have a spy!"

The dwarf points upward to the sky. Perched high above is a single owl. It peers down at the encampment with big red eyes. Taking careful aim, trying to get a bead on the owl through tree cover, he finally pulls the trigger as sweat drips from his brow...

crossbow vs owl in cover: 1d20+3 12

The bolt zooms within inches of the creature, which promptly takes off and flies away, out of sight. A string of dwarven curses spew from the guard as panic spreads through the encampment.

"Impossible! We are close to the village! They couldn't have spread this far."

"Then I fear the worst, lass. We must move the prisoners-I mean survivors---dammit, whatever they are, time to move!

"Let's get out of sight. Perhaps the Sun can still offer protection today."

Rushing into the temple ruins, the woman pulls aside a concealed tarp, covered with debris. Below is a set of stairs leading into darkness. A torch is struck and she heads downward, beckoning you to follow..

You find a makeshift supply room in what is left of the temple's basement. It glints off the dirty remnants remains of divine symbols carved into the walls. Solar imagery is predominant.

Piled high on the floor are what must be your previous possessions. There are crude weapons and armor, bags of supplies and other paraphernalia. A large stash of food and water is kept here as well, enough to supply this camp for weeks.

"You'll be needing whatever you can carry. Even the armor, if you can still stomach to wear it. Be quick about it, we have to move to safety."

Prelude, Day Four
Moments Later


As armor is strapped into place and weapons given test swings, your mysterious guard seems troubled. It's as if she finds it hard to look at such primitive equipment.

Suddenly, screams of alarm can be heard top-side. They quickly turn to the sounds of battle. The enemy has come.

"Alright, it's now or never. Stick with me, and if you get separated, go south. There is a village. Don't let them see your armaments, they will think you an enemy! Let's go!!"

She places her hand against a dirty carving of the sun on the temple basement's wall, bowing her head briefly. Then she rushes into action, up the stairs and into battle. Above the temple is a scene of chaos. A large bear ridden by a beast of a man covered more in body paint than leather armor leads the charge. The bear looms over a guard and devours the poor man as the rider bellows orders to other attackers.

A pack of wolves weaves in and out of the fight, knocking men down and tearing at throats. They are wickedly efficient, flanking and approaching from multiple angles in pairs. Each beast has red eyes, just like the owl from before, and just as in your memories. There are people attacking as well, enemies dressed as you are now. Most fight the guards, while others are untying the few still-crazed prisoners.

It doesn't take long to realize this is an unwinnable slaughter.

"Help! Don't let them take me!!"

The dwarven guard has been captured by a trio of barbarians. They have him restrained, have torn off his helm and tossed aside his weapons. Behind him, a host of enemies is arriving from the forest. Beasts are among them: wolves, bears and larger creatures still.

The dwarf desperately yells out, "Help! Kill me! I don't want to be like them!"

"To the south, go now!!"

As your fellow prisoners flee into the forest, away from impossible odds, the woman notches an arrow and takes aim.

"I'm...I'm so sorry. Goodbye my friend."

She lets it fly at the dwarf.

Longbow vs dwarf AC16 (restrained): 2d20k1+4 20, hit for damage: 1d8+4 12.

The arrow sinks into his heart. He almost seems to smile in relief as the life quickly fades from his eyes. His captors growl in frustration but your group has already fled into the forest, the howling of wolves and fading screams at your back.



Chapter 1

A pack of hungry wolves howl at your back. For an hour they have pursued you through dense forest, always lurking just out of sight, never going for the kill. What are they waiting for?

"This way! Hurry!"

The attack on your encampment was sudden and bloody. You were all there, recovering from a plague and amnesia in shared misery, and in no condition to fight. In the initial chaos you barely managed an escape into the forest, but the group fragmented. Some followed Khalidah, a natural leader. Her confidant voice has surely guided at least some of your number to safety.

You remained with your mysterious, unnamed benefactor. This woman has helped your memory to slowly return, and she trusted you enough to return your weapons as the enemy attacked. She seems to have a plan - to reach a nearby village - and she is the only one who truly knows this area. Or at least, the only one among you to remember it.

Your group is a mixed lot, including a dragonborn, a tiefling, several half-elves and humans. You wear armor and carry equipment that seems to come from a prehistoric period: all leather and bone, carapace and natural pieces. There is no metal among it, nothing worked by a modern tool. These were your only possessions prior to rescue (or capture?) during the plague, and it matches the style of your attackers' weaponry. The only exception is your benefactor, who wears gleaming chainmail and carries a metal sword. The implied cultural difference is stark indeed.

Stopping, the woman catches her breath, leaning over and inhaling deeply several times. The wolf pack howls again behind you.

"We have a few miles to go. But the fiends of Visiria are no simple beasts. They think and plan, they are malicious and cruel. We can't run into a village, dressed as the enemy, with wolves at our heels. Can you fight? Do you remember how?"

ritorix fucked around with this message at Jul 28, 2016 around 04:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010






Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


Strike-the-Glorious-Heavens, Glory to those present, slides to a stop with a macabre rattle as the reinforced skeletal remains of a much larger Dragonborn eerily shake on his frame.

His athletic build lending to this kind of exercise Glory finds himself not nearly as winded as the group's mysterious benefactor, moving up to her side he places a hand on her shoulder and gives a brief nod "You've done us a favor in not just slitting our throats and pushing us into a shallow grave before this began and so you have my thanks, likewise for beginning the process of helping me remember who I am. As the woman inquires after the group's combat readiness Glory hefts the giant horn held in his free hand "I may not have the finer points of tactics in my head at present, but I imagine the musculature I have is well suited to crushing skulls with this brute of a weapon."

The hand still lingering on the woman's shoulder is squeezed gently in an empathetic gesture "My condolences for you companion." Awkwardly Glory's hand falls back to his makeshift maul, his hands tightening around the carved grip as he glances between those present and utters a foul curse in draconic over the situation; Khalidah's departure with the other awakened plague bearers certainly put a damper on the chances of a successful counter attack.

Turning his head to face the oncoming pack of creatures Glory lifts his weapon to his shoulder and asks "So, do we stand and fight here in hopes of breaking their advance or continue to flee and pray that they do not follow us directly into the village that we will be seeking safe harbour in?" He gestures to his skeletal armor "Either way we will need to take time to rid ourselves of or to disguise the telltale gear we are wearing."


HD: 1/1d10+2
Class Feature:
Second Wind(1d10+1 Healing as a bonus action, short rest recharge)
Racial Features:
Dragon Breath: (5x30' line DC 12 Dex save for half of 2d6 acid damage. Short rest recharge)
Effects:
Heavy Armor: Disadvantage on stealth checks.
Great Weapon Style: Can re-roll a 1 or 2 on a 2h weapon attack once, must take the new result.


quote:

Let's get this party started

Expended Dragon Breath since I used it as a flavor thing in the prelude.

Combat block for quick reference later.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2016 around 05:53

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

I heft my shield in one hand and cast the fire spell and the magic rocks spell in the other. "It doesn't matter, if you forgot–or never learned–just stay by me and throw one of my magic rocks. You can also do this if you forgot to bring a sling or a bow or something. Or don't want to waste your javelins or arrows or whatever. I can cover for three of you."

10HP 16 AC 2/2 1st

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st - 2/2

Grateful for even this short opportunity to recover, I draw out the bone knife from my pack, twisted and sharp. While I didn't get the sense that I was particularly skilled with the weapon, it was nevertheless comfortable in my palm. Besides, it was for this deadly purpose that I had taken it in the first place.

"Though I have my doubts that I will be as effective as Glory, I will fight if I must. As for whether or not we should, I would prefer not to have to, yet I do not think we have that luxury."

Still, I couldn't shake the thought that I was on the brink of an epiphany, when the one called Sip conjured forth a flame in one hand. Startled, I find myself having unconsciously taken two or three steps away from the girl before I realize and stop. A dull buzzing had begun to echo within my head, and the hide inscribed with symbols I held felt warm on my skin. With a greater deal of emotion than I intended, I let out,

"That was... magic?"

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2016 around 00:10

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"Ohhh boy, if you're that skinny and geeky but don't know any magic I think you should just hide behind me and throw rocks. Maybe even if you do."
10HP 16 AC 2/2 1st

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2016 around 02:43

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.



HP: 8/8 | AC: 12 | Lv 1 Spells: 2/2

Sylmae found her chest aching from their hasty escape. As soon as the party stopped, she found herself almost gasping for breath. It was far more physical activity than she'd had in the past...who knew how long? The spear in her hands felt awkward and wrong, as though she had no real business holding it. She ties it to her pack and exchanges it for the elegantly carved staff she found before.

"I agree with Jacques. I think our choice has been made for us - and we cannot risk harm befalling the village if we plan to seek safety there."

The staff in her hand vibrated and hummed in her hand, as if it were agreeing with her. Something felt like it was rushing through her body, crashing like a wave over her muscles. "...I also agree with Jacques. There seems to be magic in some of our blood."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Vilnius


Though sweat beads down his forehead, the half-elf is no worse for wear. Some ringing in his ears? Probably just the adrenaline..


ritorix posted:

"Can you fight? Do you remember how?"

"So we were all warriors, then, when you captured us? Hmm. Good to know."

"I'm sure it'll all come rushing back, when the need arises. Oh, and.."

A thought-- but he stops himself short. Maybe another time?

Melchiresa posted:

"There seems to be magic in some of our blood."

At this, the ringing in Vilnius' ears crescendos into a thunderclap deep within his mind; the man is visibly taken aback, gasping sharply.
He stares into the distance for a moment, then jerks his head away when he begins to feel the eyes of his cohorts upon him.



P.d0t posted:

Let's kill some fucks or whatever
Unless you guys feel like that's a really bad idea. I'm easy.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

I started arming myself without knowing why. I just did it and when I was done I figured it out: gloves for grabbing, shoes for running, sling for shooting, rocks for throwing. The magic was just a little deeper, but I found it in my daydreams while I was weaving and singing made up songs. I try to jog the memories out of the rest of the people forward who look geeky enough to have had to know magic to not be dead by now after running with the bloodbeasts. I jog it with my voice-boot. "Augh, there's magic in everyone's blood! Is there magic in your brain is what matters. Look, there'll be weirdly important gibberish, you think it's on the tip of your tongue but your mouth will remember how to say it. Like a song that's stuck in your head. Then your hand will dance to the tune." Dumb faces. I get mad and start shaking my fiery fist at them.

"Geeks, your weapons and armor are in the bottom of the lake. Fear is the water. Stop blowing hot and cold, jump in and get them!"
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette



"Sylmae, I know you have it in you. You, uh, you all do. It's now or never."

Four wolves howl a final time, just beyond the trees. The sound comes from all around you. Suddenly they go quiet.

DM posted:

This fight takes place in dense foliage. A few rules to consider:

-Attacking anything past a few feet (outside of melee) will have cover (+2 AC) from the underbrush and trees.
-The foliage lightly obscures everything as well. That means that visual Perception checks have disadvantage (passive is at -5).
-The wolves are hiding. You will need a passive perception beyond stealth: 1d20+4 17 to see them, taking into account the obscuring, or an active perception roll at disadvantage.

-Wolves can smell you with a passive perception of 18, unaffected by the foliage. Take into account if trying to hide yourself.
-Your group is assumed to be within arms reach of each other.
-This isn't a surprise fight. Despite the wolves stealthiness, you know a threat is there.

Roll initiative! If you beat the NPCs, take your turn.

Wolves init: 1d20+2 16
Benefactor init: 1d20+1 9

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


Caught up as he is in a weak attempt to console their benefactor, Glory is wholly taken by surprise as the group is quickly surrounded by hidden enemies.


quote:

Initiative is 4 going post-NPC

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.



HP: 8/8 | AC: 12 | Lv 1 Spells: 2/2

Sylmae rushes to attend to Vilnius, leaving her caught off-guard by the wolves

quote:

Initiative: 1d20+2 7

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st - 2/2

Sip, Sylmae, even the woman who seemed to know more about us than she had let on. Magic within, they said. In my blood? Undoubtedly, thanks to whichever devil I was the spawn of. Yet there was something more, something I had learned. I clutched the piece of hide to my chest as the wolves howled, that incessant humming inside my mind growing louder and louder.

quote:

Initiative v. Wolves: 1d20+2 13

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2016 around 18:04

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Okay deep breath. Can't quite make out the bodies but they aren't invisible. They have to reveal themselves at some point. I work my way into the middle of the group, using everyone else as cover. Then arm back, poised to throw. "I'm not afraid of you!" It's not a complete lie, I'm just not completely scared stiff and rounded down.

quote:

init: 1d20+8 26
perception: 1d20+5 16
readied attack: 1d20+5 21 1d6+3 8 when I see an enemy
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2016 around 22:42

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


The wolves rush in, one from each point on the compass. Their attack is well-coordinated.

Wolf1, bite vs Benefactor with advantage vs AC16: 2d20k1+4 10 2d4+2 5, miss.
Wolf2, bite vs Benefactor with advantage vs AC16: 2d20k1+4 13 2d4+2 5, miss.
Wolf3, bite vs Benefactor with advantage vs AC16: 2d20k1+4 6 2d4+2 8, miss.
Wolf4, bite vs Benefactor with advantage vs AC16: 2d20k1+4 20 2d4+2 7. Hit.
Benefactor save DC11str vs prone: 1d20+1 2. Falls prone.


Your benefactor seems to be the target of all of them at once. She whirls around wildly, deflecting blows from each in turn in an impressive display of skill under fire. It was almost good enough. The last wolf latches on to her arm, ripping at flesh and dragging her to the ground.

Sip plinks one of the wolves on the skull with a rock. The beast nearly falls over, wobbling a bit before whining and snarling at the girl. It seems to be a bit confused. The distraction gives the woman long enough to bounce back to her feet. She stabs at the dazed wolf with her sword, nearly slaying it in one blow.

Benefactor sword vs wolf4: 1d20+3 15 1d8+1 2 damage on the hit.

"I...I can't take much more of this."

DM posted:

pdot is at work, Vilnius rolls init: 1d20-1 4.

That gives our init order. You'll see this at the bottom of combat posts, along with a symbol next to whoever can take a turn. Initiative is fluid around allies, to make pbp combat faster. That means a 4 init can go before a 10 init, as long as no hostiles are in between. Just don't abuse that too much; if you are at init 10 and rolling death saves, the guy at init 4 won't be able to heal you out-of-order. If something like that is going on, you won't see the symbol on PCs after the affected init.

Because init is circular, you'll notice a next to Sip now, even though her readied action just went off. That's actually her action for next round, which she can take right now, before the wolves go a second time.

Initiative
=======

Sip
Wolves (1-3)(each at 11HP, AC13)
Wolf 4 (1HP, AC13)
Jacques
Benefactor (4/11HP AC16)
Sylmae
Glory
Vilnius

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


All at once a wall of fur bursts through the underbrush and has set themselves upon the group's mysterious benefactor. Glory takes a heavy swing at one of the beasts that has failed to connect with its surprise attack, but the unwieldy nature of the primitive weapon he carries gets the better of him and his strike misses the mark.

quote:

Maul attack against an uninjured wolf 11 misses.

Oh I see how it's going to be Orokos

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 01:18

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st - 2/2

The wolves bit, snapped, tore away at the woman's flesh. Without hesitation, I attempted to force my way towards the back of the group, my breathing unexpectedly steady considering the situation. Jump right into the water, was it? The girl's tone was harsh, but her advice was true, and I could feel it, the magic, ripping at my thoughts like-

Chill Touch v. Wolf 4 (AC 13): 1d20+5 17
Chill Touch DMG v. Wolf 4 (HP 1): 1d8 5

-A clawed hand appeared at my side, similar in shape to my own, but half-formed and rotting where there was the image of flesh. On the hide, one of the hand symbols had started to dimly glow, humming in the same pitch as that in my mind. I glanced back towards the front, one of the wolves wounded from Sip and the woman.

"Finish it. Take its head."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 03:38

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"No!" I don't want the benefactor to die. She gave me water when I was thirsty. I punch a wolf with fire thanks to my handwraps, slap some new magic rocks into the devilman, halfman, and halflady's hands, then I move near the wolves and drop down, feigning weakness and crying out–beasts could never resist an easy meal.

quote:

flame attack: 1d20+5 14 1d8 7
casting a new Magic Stone, handing them around as I move to the wolves and drop prone. They get advantage on attacks anyway so whatever. Hopefully my AC keeps me alive.

/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette




As Jacques summons a skeletal claw it triggers a flash of memory. He has seen this before, or something like it...

A spectral hand reaches out, half-formed, and touches your shoulder. It chills you to the bone, but you don't flinch away. You are used to it.

"Remember, you go not only to serve the ambassador, but to serve family. Do us proud and your place at our side will be assured. Don't allow the corruption and weakness of Altaris to corrupt you in turn."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

Was my integrity being doubted? Or was it merely simple concern? Difficult to discern, most would say impossible. But I despised that word, refrained from using it.

"Please, do not worry; I will perform my duties to the utmost of my abilities, and shall give no cause for disappointment. You have my word...

...The memory faded, but not forgotten. Something to ponder over, discuss with the others, once these damned wolves were dealt with.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Vilnius


AC: 16 (two-handing) / 18 (sword + board)
HP: 10/10
Spell Slots: [1] 2/2 1/2
Reactions: [Wrath of the Storm] 3/3
Ammo: [Javelins] 1/1 [Magic Stones] 1/1


Sylmae catches in the corner of his eye when she approaches, but the threat draws his attention away almost immediately.
Rushing into the fray, Vilnius' first instinct is to shout at the ravenous creatures: "Piss off!"
He tries his best to position himself between their comrade and the beasts.


P.d0t posted:

Action: Thunderwave[1] targeting 2 wolves (as per the DM); DC 13 CON save vs. 2d8 = 8 thunder damage and pushed 10 ft (save for half, no push)
Move: into melee with the wolf not targeted by the spell

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Wolves thunderwave save DC13con: 2#1d20+1 4 19. One takes 4, one takes 8 (killing it, after Sip's damage) and is pushed past the Benefactor, next to the other wolf. No relevant location change.

Initiative
=======

Sylmae
Sip (prone)
Wolf 1(11HP, AC13)
Wolf 2(7HP, AC13)
Jacques
Benefactor (4/11HP AC16)
Glory
Vilnius

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Flashes of memory interrupt, spurred by the stress and adrenaline of combat.


"Piss off!"

A wave of thunder knocks several armed thugs off their feet, blasting them backwards, along with a shower of glassware, dishes, dirty tables and wooden chairs. The window behind you bursts open, too, allowing for a quick escape. As you walk away, your eyes don't turn back to the shattered wreckage of the dockside bar - they are fixed on a ship at port. Yours.




You are rolling around in the grass, surrounded by red-eyed animals. A wolf and an elk watch over you while an eagle high overhead keeps watch.

The wolf's mouth is red with blood. It drops a fleshy piece at your feet, raw and unidentifiable, interrupting your play.

It speaks in a guttural voice, one you understand: "Eat, little pup, and grow strong."

The elk rumbles and nods his antlered head. "Grow strong for Visiria."

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.



HP: 8/8 | AC: 12 | Lv 1 Spells: 1/2

Sylmae finds her mind clear - more clear and peaceful than it has been in the last few days. Vilnius' attack gives her an idea- perhaps a second salvo would help end the fight quicker.

The staff in her hands hums in gentle agreement.

quote:

Action: Thunderwave: 2d8 7 thunder damage targeting two wolves; DC 13 CON save.

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 18:24

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Wolf1, Wolf2 dc13con saves: 2#1d20+1 14 11.

A second blast rocks the forest and another wolf dies. The last one looks to Sip, laying prone as an offering, then back to the wounded woman. A simple animal would go for the easy prey.

There is nothing simple when it comes to these red-eyed beasts. It ignores Sip and lunges at the wounded woman, tearing out her throat. Shock locks in her eyes and she is dead before she hits the ground. The wolf seems to savor victory, lapping at the blood, even though it will surely die next.

Wolf bite vs Benefactor: 1d20+4 22 2d4+2 7. She's dead.




Initiative
=======

Wolf 1(8HP, AC13)
Benefactor (dead)
Jacques
Glory
Vilnius
Sylmae
Sip (prone)

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


Glory's frustration with his botched first attack is only impounded when the remaining wolf manages to sink its fangs into their Benefactor and lays her low. Hefting his makeshift hammer above his head he charges the filthy beast and sends it soaring through the air with a savage blow to the chest.


HD: 1/1d10+2
Class Feature:
Second Wind(1d10+1 Healing as a bonus action, short rest recharge)
Racial Features:
Dragon Breath: (5x30' line DC 12 Dex save for half of 2d6 acid damage. Short rest recharge)
Effects:
Heavy Armor: Disadvantage on stealth checks.
Great Weapon Style: Can re-roll a 1 or 2 on a 2h weapon attack once, must take the new result.


quote:

Maul attack against Wolf 13 hits for 6 11 bludgeoning damage

Great Weapon Style to re-roll the 1 and 2 I got on my initial damage.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 19:09

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"I did everything I could," I glare at the others, then walk over to the lady and start grabbing her old stuff that she'd want me to have. "They didn't care about us, or food, they were wanted her. First at least. She saved us again. But you couldn't save her back."
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


As Sip goes through her belongings, she finds a longsword, longbow, and quiver of arrows are salvageable. The woman's armor is ruined by the recent battle. She does have 20 gold coins in a pouch. They seem pretty old and worn, and are stamped with an expressionless sun-face on one side, and some king on the other. Around her neck, tucked under her armor, is a gilded holy symbol of a sun on a twine necklace.

She also has a few papers tucked under her armor. One is a fancy portrait, done in ink on parchment. It's Sylmae. She is dressed in an elegant gown, her hair in a fancy braid, a smile on her face. The portrait is pretty worn from travel. There is also this worn note:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"Bye, Miradis." I take all the gold and weapons then cut off some of her hair to make a bracelet from later. The picture and letter I give to Sylmae. "Hey halflady, you're a Sea Princess."
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st - 2/2

The spectral hand vanishes as the last wolf collapses, and I stare at the woman's form as it laid there covered in wounds. Whilst it was unfortunate that we couldn't protect her, I was rather stunned at how angry Sip seemed at our failure. Was the girl the type who grew attached easily, then? Or was it because of the circumstances we found ourselves in?

"It is pointless to blame anyone now. Take everything that seems useful, and let us be on our way."

...Sea Princess, she had said? Now that was curious. My thoughts returned to the memory I had just seen, of my role as...ambassador? Something I would share with the rest, once we had a safe opportunity to talk. For now, I fell into a half-sincere bow.

"Congratulations, Your Highness. Not often one discovers that they belong to royalty."

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 19:46

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Vilnius


"I'm still kind of confused... I didn't think I could shout that hard," he says, giving off a thousand-yard stare. Clearly this is all a lot to take in, for him.

Composing himself somewhat, he kneels down to at least make sure the woman's eyes are closed; it seemed like the proper thing to do.

"Miradis was her name?" he asks Sip, "does that sound familiar to any of you? And this 'sea king'...?" he adds, seeing if that makes any kind of sense to Sylmae.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


The last of the foes having been slain Glory stands still his face turned to the sky, a rictus smile fixed on his face as the adrenaline of combat begins to subside, however as with all things good they must come to an end and the background sounds of conversation overtake the minor combat high, dragging Glory back to the earth.

Bemused smile still lingering on his face Glory steps to the side of the impromptu battlefield and runs the edge of his maul along the bark of a tree; a clump of fur and some blood coming clean on a patch of moss before being re-secured at his side. Approaching one of the many dead wolves a hatchet appears in Glory's hand and with a quick whack of the sharpened shell blade a fang is extracted from the thing's jaws.

The tasks he has decided to do on a whim completed Glory spares a glance at the dead woman and clicks his tongue in irritation before stepping away and catching up on what is being said. The announcement of Sylmae's royal birthright gets a low whistle and a response as Jacques cuts in "Perhaps finding out you are royalty is as common as anything in this land, how would we even know?"

The dragonborn shrugs at Vilnius' questions "Neither the name or title means anything to me thus far, but I imagine that if any of us knew her at some point it will come back eventually. Her prompt to picture someone important to us certainly didn't bring her into my memory over Magar."

quote:

Clonking a tooth out of one of the wolves for a keepsake.

Gonna be out doing errands for another couple hours, but I should be able to touch and go post if we get on a chatting roll .

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 21:52

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?


Jacques Renault

HP: 7/7 | AC: 12 | Spell Slots: 1st - 2/2

"Hmm, a valid point, Glory. Certainly possible, although the matter of it being likely is... low."

"I am afraid I have no recollection of any Miradis, nor a Sea King. Perhaps if Sylmae here is truly related, however, we should consider seeking out this king for assistance and protection."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Vilnius


"..unless I kidnapped her. In which case, he won't be happy to see me."

"O'course, I have no way of knowing; the ship, though -- it was my ship, I seem to recall now. And we were both there... how and why, though? ..." he says, trailing off.


"As Glory says, really anything is possible. I don't know where to find this king; she said there's a town south of here, but other than that I don't know where anything is, in the entire world."


Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.



HP: 8/8 | AC: 12 | Lv 1 Spells: 1/2

She takes the letter and the picture from Sip. She's silent for a moment as she reads and looks up at the rest of the group. "I'm WHAT?" she blurts out, more sharply than she had intended. Jacque's bow and addressing her as "your highness" was almost too much.

"Then that means...the island? I was looking for something there. My father," which felt odd to say, "must have known something to cure this plague was on the island. Although, it seems we've survived regardless."

She pauses, "I thought that we were prisoners? I don't think a party meant to help would refer to us as their 'prisoners.'"

She looks at the letter for another moment. "and the rest of my name...it's come back to me. My family name is Haell. Maybe that means something to anyone else?"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet


Glory inclines his head to Sylmae for a moment and closes his eyes, deep in thought as he reflects on the last few minutes. Coming to a conclusion he nods and reopens his eyes "The dwarf didn't seem to know what to call us anymore, I imagine we may have been a mix of victims of whatever plague incapacitated us that were captured either by command or potentially to be ransomed to families."

Bringing a blood specked hand to his chin Glory continues to ponder the situation before he continues with his line of thought "perhaps some of us were military targets and we were being shuffled off to have valuable information pulled from our recovering minds." he shakes his head dismissively "it is not important in this very moment as our enemies may still be on our trail. It would be prudent to push onward toward this village sooner rather than later."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"Maybe you're the only notking, and that's why you're so sour about it now. Let's go, I already got all the things."

So, I can remember the red eyed animals... They're smart and can talk and gave me meat to make me grow up strong. Maybe I really am the only nontown person here who has useful things in her brain.
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


With your immediate pursuit dead, you have a few options of how to proceed, and a short amount of time to consider them.

Miradis was leading you towards a village, that much you know. It was 'to the south'. But direction in this forest is hard to come by. Getting lost now may mean circling back to the camp and facing another attack.


It'll take a DC10 survival check to lead the group south. You'll also have to decide on any other preparations, such as whether or not to hide your primitive armor and weapons.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.



HP: 8/8 | AC: 12 | Lv 1 Spells: 1/2

"Yes, let's keep moving. Hopefully we can reach the village before something else attacks us."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

"Uh, I'd need to climb a tree or something to find South."

quote:

survivals: 1d20+5 9
/10HP /16 AC 2/2 1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010




Glory
HP: 12/12 AC: 16
Campaign Cheat Sheet



Glory lets out a small laugh "I know you are all fairly short, but there will be no need to climb anything." There is an unsettling feeling in Glory's stomach as he points off in the direction they must trek "We're due to head this way."

Whether Glory was just lucky in pointing in the correct direction or some long latent hatchling instinct for direction was rekindled by his memory loss, no one would ever know.

quote:

Nat 20 survival for a total of 23 .

Before entering town Glory will be discarding the bone greatsword he was carrying and removing his armor. Armor will get wrapped in his bed roll and carried like a bindle on the horn-maul.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at Jul 17, 2016 around 21:41

  • Locked thread
«7 »