Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

In the midst of giving out his orders, Kurt receives word from one village that the Prophet had been there. Another potential pawn(player?) in the game. Send her my way. He gives the guard captain there knowledge of his location, then takes it away after he relays it to the Prophet. Another quick communication has one of the rangers from before on his way to meet and guide her.

Thats the only good news he receives as the Windspeaker speaks. The attempt on the supply depot failed, many of his men falling in the attempt. Their news is the Bear is here. A complication he didn't need right now. Kurts not sure why one of Sevvans top commanders had decided to come but it means his job is that much harder. He will have to take care, and see what he can do to divert the man elsewhere. And...Barthalos? Barthalos?

Kurt takes a seat as he steeples his fingers and closes his eyes. The Windspeakers words bite, but she doesn't know. Can't know. The pain the Kings of Hissin feel. Kurt opens his eyes and looks at her. "Have you ever felt death, Windspeaker? Looked through someones eyes, see the blade descending on their neck, feel their lifeblood drain from them, their fears, the numbing and the fading? The way my father felt as he spoke to me even as he died? You ask me if this rebellion is about my people or myself. Its both. There is no water to quench the flames of my rage. And there is no where in this world I could go, no rock I could hide under that my gift would let me block out the sound of my people and their suffering. The young man, forced to sign up as a Sevvan auxiliary to send a pittance home for his family as hes used as a human shield. The parents who go hungry so their child can eat. The woman whoring herself out to Sevvan soldiers for coin. All the abuse my people suffer. They call out and I hear them. My power may be dangerous but I will use it until it kills me or my people are free."

Flames spring to life in his eyes briefly before he closes them. "And what of yourself? What guides you, Windspeaker? And how far are you willing to go? Because I will let nothing stop me from accomplishing my goals."

Barlas, I need you up here. I'm about to do something foolish and will need aid.

Kurt feels tired. Quit tired. But Barthalos needs help...and Kurt needs to finish the job. Psionic energy flickers as Kurt readies himself for one last effort for the day.

Reaching out to the capital. Guiding and coordinating some of his fighters there to aid Barthalos and finish the job at the prison. As he does so Kurt spreads a madness amongst the Sevvan forces his fighters encounter. Using Psionic Gift[+4] and King in Hiding[+4] for +8, and the BP for +2.

Death and Confusion in the Capital: 2d6+8+2 14

Quornes fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

"I don't like where this is going. I don't like this at all"

"SQUAD, TO ME! The city is up in arms, find out what is going on and put a stop to it! Captain Wayfinder I want you and your squad with me, we're heading straight to the palace. Captains Hartlaw and Ferrol I want the garrison pulled up and back into action, it's sounding like a bloody mess out there where in the nine hells are the guard? Everyone else ensure that the important areas of this city are secure!"

"SIR YES SIR"

The gates were opened, the first battalion entered, the relief has come.

"THE LAW OF SEVVRAN IS HERE YOU SONS OF MOTHERS."

Yami you did say to reuse my second roll for the previous turn right? Or did I imagine that. Instead of leading craftsmen, Voss is taking a handful of stalwart men and pushing through the mess to the palace.

2d6+4 = 12 (5,3 +4)

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 30, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The gifts I have been given by these villagers cannot be a coincidence. I've seen the King in Hiding in my visions before, and I know it is Ra'Loah's Will that I aid him. Thanking the villagers profusely for their thoughtful gifts, I preach to them again for one last night. Come the morning they'll discover I've departed, the provisions they provided carefully pocketed away in my restored cloak. In a way I wish I could just keep doing exactly this - spreading the word of the true God with small towns and groups of earnest folk, watching their smiles as they feel the warmth of God fall upon them - but Ra'Loah demands more of me, and I obey. My restored cloak is proof enough of my God's favor falling upon me again, and I shall strive my best to never disapoint It again.

Between the map I now have in my possession and my previous travels in this area, I know I've a long day's travel ahead of me to reach King Kurt's castle - good thing I left early. Hissin's much like the Red Vale, and my travel lets me appreciate that fact more and more. Here's a people subjugated, longing for a savior - for a greater meaning behind their woes. And I can give both to them, I think, and then mentally correct myself immediately. Ra'Loah can provide those things, with me offering them on Its behalf.

Throughout the day I walk, and think, and pray. While I must eventually make my way to the Princess Leona, or at least to her holdings to start preparing them for her destined struggle and eventually success in taking the throne, for now I'm Fated to assist another of Ra'Loah's favored champions in this world. Kurt and Leona could be powerful should they cooperate, and he'll be a significant thorn in the side of anyone that he chooses to oppose.

While Ra'Loah has many blessings to offer, I've found in my travels that royals can be particular about the gifts they receive. He may be a King in hiding, but between my God's whispers and visions and my travels throughout this land, there must be something I know of that I can offer him. The location of some fortress of legendary, or a magic sword long buried and awaiting an appropriate wielder. By the time I reach his fortress the hour may be late, but I've still more to do. "The Lady Samarah, Prophet of the True God Ra'Loah, seeks audience with your master - the Rightful King of Hissin - as soon as it can be arranged," I announce up to the apparently unmanned gate, certain that I am actually overheard. "I bear a sigil granted to me for the purpose of identification, I can offer that too if necessary."

<Rauri> Samarah Yamigame Roll
<Rauri> !r 2d6+8
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 + 8 = 13
Using Wandering Sage and Prophet of Ra'Loah for a total of +8

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

"They still let elves into Ark's Landing?"

"…excuse me, miss. Are those your real ears?"

"gently caress off, knife ear!"

Reception was mixed, to say the least. Often in times of war people turn to xenophobia, especially those who have very little else to rely on in life, and this was no different. Being the sole elf she had seen in the city, Anathema is not surprised that most of these humans were not sure what to make of her. A strange curiosity, a dangerous threat, a disgusting creature. Or, in some stares and glances, a mix of all three. For an apparent all conquering kingdom it was surprisingly insular.

According to the first few people Anathema was able to coax into conversation the Blomstregård embassy had been closed in protest against King Leopold IV and his outrageous expansionist war efforts some years ago. And with it, one can assume, most if not all of the elves. That helped explain why she was more of an outsider than she had expected. Severing diplomatic ties did that to a kingdom. But nonetheless, she persevered with her diplomatic efforts. After all, these people had no real grudge against elves. Just the propaganda of the foreign outsider threatening the dominion of Sevvran supremacy. All Anathema had to do was show them she was a person just like them, and the walls between them would come crashing down.

No doubt plans were afoot, and schemes being formulated. But a seemingly random elf walking up to the regent or the king would simply get her into trouble. And loudly announcing that the great and terrible and/or officially erased from history Queen Anathema was here would only get her into more trouble. If she were to influence matters for the better, like these displaced and dispossessed needed, then she'd have to keep her head down for now and slowly build herself up. Perhaps starting with a connection to this supposedly powerful benefactor.

Hiding in the slums, keeping a low profile, asking the people what would help them the most out of anything, maybe meet this strange benefactor.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

"Wow. Thanks." It was that point where you were both sarcastic and honestly meaning it. Bringing him the letter late was definitely better than never handing it over at all. Nevertheless, Amerigo was not happy with what he saw. He liked puzzles, but not ones where he had not the foggiest idea where to start. The only people probably more knowledgeable than him in such matters were either the dragon or scholars in the church, neither of which he was particularly eager to demonstrate his ignorance to. Still, Amerigo wasn't about to let his pride get in the way. He had already succeeded at least halfway by bringing back the gold, but finding the perpetrators was just as vital.

A few well placed "donations" later, he attempts get access to church historical archives and other sources of lore, just to see if it really is an obscure/old language, rather than a code. If its the latter, well, you'd just have to crack that the old fashioned way, which would involve cracking things across the knees of that tied up idiot they had in the basement. Hopefully he would know something.

Using [Gentleman and Scholar+4] to try to decipher the letter. First I'm asking the tied up goon I caught what it means in case he knows, then if he doesn't, hitting up various libraries to research it.

2d6+4: 15

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 2, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

...I had expected that a princess of the Realm might be somewhat eccentric, but this is certainly not what I had anticipated. From the moment she entered the room, she has been giving me the strangest look; what could it mean? Does she somehow harbor some secret grudge against me? I can't imagine that I've done anything to offend her, but it's certainly possible. Her attention is unsettling, to say the least.

Thankfully, I have an excuse not to hold eye contact with Her Highness. I kneel, as is appropriate: "I am here to speak on behalf of the Order Resplendent, who have granted me the name 'Sudden Clarity.' May the gods watch you, your Highness, and illuminate for you the steps of the Eightfold Path." Perhaps it would be polite to speak for some time of frivolous things, as nobles do amongst themselves, but I've not the tongue for it. "My lady... forgive me, my lady. I am sure that you have not failed to notice the... crisis that looms before us. Our seclusion affords us but a clouded, distant view of happenings beyond our valley, but even we have heard of the heresy that crawls beneath our feet, and the rebellion that stirs in every corner. I- the Order has decided that we must lend what little strength we have to protect Sevvran in this dark hour."

I raise my eyes, hoping that she might see the conviction behind them. "But we can do nothing on our own. We may provide counsel, perhaps even wise counsel from time to time, but what is needed most keenly is spears, and men to wield them, and of these I am beggared. We must have your strength, your support, my lady! You must raise your armies, call forth the people of the Spearhills who are your vassals, let them stand in defense of the Realm." As opposed to using them to seize the throne, that is -- but about this I manage to hold my tongue.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

Daily reports on the rise and the weekly accounting check was looking promising, consumer confidence is rising and the national currency indexes seem to be stabilising; all told, a wise business move. Still, this lack of obedience was troubling. If the creation of the enclave was having such a positive effect now, the effect of total resource exploitation would be incredible. So what to do about workers that won't work? Perhaps a letter to the dear Commander? No, scratch that. Von Voss is most likely quite busy at the moment and it wouldn’t do to drink from the same well again and again. No, now was the time for some intelligence gathering, with perhaps a bit of strike breaking on the side.

Let’s find out what’s going on with those lazy worker bee’s and see what I’m going to need to motivate them and resolve any issues. Am I going to need to introduce holiday pay or am I going to have to introduce Ogre mercenaries to striking workers? +4 - First Bank of Sevvran for some ol’ fashioned bribery and motivation and +2 - Loans and Patronage the World Over to call in some favours with the local indebted. Maybe -2 Elder Race since we’re operating outside the capital now and most long-term "friends" are out of influence range.

OscarDiggs !r 2d6+4
foxxbot OscarDiggs, 4 +4 = 8

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

My eyes widen in surprise. "Sudden Clarity! But you're the First Sword! ou may rise, of course!" She could be lying, but her beauty matches the stories that have made it back to me. Stunning, just like they say, and so strong. My face falls a bit as she continues her plea though, asking for my troops. "First Sword, your desire and your loyalty do you credit, but... Even in the valley, no doubt you've heard rumors that I seek my brother's throne. They spread them of everyone at court, but, if I were to call my men to arms, even to put them in your service to go out and strike at one of his enemies, you can see how it would look, yes?"

But still, that action is tempting. Not just raising my men, but to lead them into battle alongside Sudden Clarity against one of our enemies, the high sorceress perhaps, and win a crushing victory. It'd make us all safer, and add to my own story. And such a victory under my belt would make it easier to take the throne if my brother was to fall in his conquests. "Who did you have in mind to fight? Perhaps if the King or his Regent were to give permission it could be done..."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle

Their forces smash together, as magic flares across the valley, countering swings from swords and setting at least one guard on fire.

Lavelle pushes all that to the side of her mind. "Still sucking at your mother's teat then, pup?" she declares. Her shadow bonds, however, can't stand up to the combined force of Petra's struggling, and her sheer will. One arm breaks free, and once that's done, the other is loose in short order, leaving the shadow tendrils to break and dissolve into so much nothing.

A look up to the hills. Trilon should have gotten his forces back together by now, unless they're all horribly incompetent and dead, in which case he can find another place to sleep tonight. Possibly in a ditch. Lavelle takes a breath, to let her eyes search and spot anybody. Ah, there! Several of her raiders seem to be still alive and in the fight.

The high sorceress spreads her arms dramatically, sending a huge burst of air across the battlefield, knocking the guards, and some of her own fighters, to the ground. Can't have any of them interfering.

Lavelle reaches into herself, summoning her reserve of power. Earth magic isn't her forte, but this needn't be overly finessed. No, it's straight forward enough to lift up a piece of the earth and extrude it towards her, pulling the earth towards the High Sorceress...right through the Pup's back.

<Platonicsolid> Casting an earth spike right through Petra's fleshy torso.
<Platonicsolid> .roll 2d6+4
<Platonibot> Platonicsolid: 12 (2d6+4=6, 2)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
:siren: I've decided to limit rolls to one quality per roll. May sound bad, but the system just isn't made to constantly have everything at +8. Don't worry, though, it's perfectly possible to reach even the highest DC's with +4, just not all the time like you used to. Note that this rounds rolls are unaffected. :siren:

:siren: Because of this, you are free to change your qualities around for free, but only this once. :siren:

Leona and Sudden Clarity

Nothing new! Talks don't look done yet.

Kurt Hissin and Voss

Battle theme

Kurt, Bartholos, somewhat against his own will, pushes against his injuries. He, and your reinforcements, engage the now maddened guards once more. However, there are still a lot more of them than there are of your troops, and the entirety of your soldiers, barring Bartholos, are now in the midst of battle. Bartholos pushed forward, trapping the captain in his own room with him. The two engage in battle...

Suddenly, the door gets kicked down. Voss. The Bear himself has arrived, and he's brought reinforcements with him!

And worse, turns out the Windspeaker was right - you really shouldn't overdo it to this extend. A massive headache is forming in your head, and you're starting to feel very dizzy. Any further meddling, especially large-scale or over long distances, is sure to burn you out entirely for a while.

And Barlas just arrived, with a strange woman in tow. Seemingly uncaring about that fact, the Windspeaker addresses you, giving you the damaged orb back, after modifying it somehow - it's clear that it's different, but your head is hurting just trying to think about it.

"Vengeance will get you nowhere, princeling. I cannot say if your claims about it being for your people as much as yourself is true, but understand this: A king lives for his people. Not the other way around. ... Sadly, there are many who do not heed this." (cont. in Samarah prompt)

Contested roll! You beat Nabsters roll by +2, which means the captain is hurt, but not quite dead yet. You're going to need another solid roll to finish him off, or escape. You will also roll at -2 from mental overexertion for psionic attacks outside of your vicinity, or large attacks in general. Communication and such is unaffected, however.

Samarah

Briefly, you get a vision as your gaze wanders into the sun. In the moment of blindness, you see.

Specifically, you see a sword, in a somewhat disgraceful resting place... namely, the bottom of a swamp. The trees around it seem to radiate a grim aura, as if cursed. Briefly, the sword glows in a dim, purple haze, showing the sigil of Hisin.

As you fade back to reality, you realize you have no idea where this swamp would be... but you remember the details of the vision as if they were written in your mind itself.

Soon, you arrive at Hissin's hideout, where you quickly realize it has recently been the site of a battle - however, not a lost one, and you soon are greeted by Kurt Hissin's right hand man.

You are brought before Kurt Hissin by said right hand man, Barlas. He randomly stops for a second, then hastens his pace. Likely, he just received a mental message of some sort. As you enter the room, you see the Hidden King conversing with a strange woman.

Wait a minute, you remember that face! ... not that it's hard to. Her face is plastered on wanted posters EVERYWHERE. It's the Windspeaker.

Taking a closer look, Kurt seems exhausted, for some reason. The Windspeaker, uncaringly, just turns toward you.

"Ah, the Prophet of Vale. I did wish to meet you at some point. Greetings."

She extends her hand, and for some reason you feel compelled to answer that gesture. As you do, she pulls your ear closer to her. "Beware the wolf, for what you think its greatest weakness is its strength in truth."

Lavelle

"Don't even dare imply I want anything to do with that old hag anymore!!" Petra yells out in frustration.

Unfortunately, you underestimated her agility. Speedy little mouse, isn't she? You do, however, land a painful glancing blow upon her, straight up ripping off part of her armor, but it's not the kill you were looking for.

"What power...! Who are you?!"

Trilon, despite your interference in the battle, managed to mop the rest of the caravan guards behind you. Petra, glancing over, notices this, and her eyes widen in shock

"Goddamnit!.... I WILL have my revenge for this...!" she exclaims, not even letting you gloat... or introduce yourself, for that matter. She pulls a small, black pearl out of one of the pockets, and throws it on the ground.

Wait, a smoke bomb? What kind of knight uses smoke bombs?! ... Not that it matters. As the smoke clears (with or without your assistance) you can see her pulling a hasty retreat. Unfortunately, she's still ridiculously she fast, so she actually gained a lot of ground. You can still catch her, but it'll be hard.

Unfortunately, you may not have the luxury of a cat and mouse game with Petra. Rising dust from the opposite side of the canyon betrays the fact that a patrol is headed your way - and probably fast. You'll need to make haste to secure the supplies you came for in the first place.

(-2 to trying to stop her from fleeing due to the difference in speed)

Well, what would one best call this? A learning experience, perhaps. See, you got your workers... but half of them are now dead. Turns out both the woods and the mines are horribly infested with monsters, and even the adventurers guild has given up on most of them. And the other half? Went back to not wanting to work. And, they're blaming you for all the dead people, so... it's unlikely to get them to work for you again.

Failure. You do get one BP for using your weakness, however.

Anathema

Well, you ran upon a problem: You've maybe raised hopes a little bit too high. See, you figured out what they need (or want.) Food, Water, lower taxes, security, medicine... you know, things you might expect from too many people living in too small of a space in the middle of a war.

The problem? With you asking around so much, they kind of got that idea in your head that you're trying to fix those problems, and have the capabilities to do so.

Which you really don't at the moment. No allies, no territory, no resources, nothing. You should perhaps start with the first. Because these people are utterly refusing to let you see their benefactor for some reason, despite their hospitality.

Amerigo

The goon, having sobbered up (mostly), by now, seems pretty talkative. Sadly it's not the kind of talkative you would have wanted.

"You know, we were SO close to getting off this robbery completely free. It's a work of art! The dragon never saw it coming, you saw it never coming, nobody did! Hahahahaha! Just got a little bit cocky at the end there. Oh well~"

He does, however, break upon mere sight of seeing some of the more creative 'interrogation assistance devices' you have managed to collect.

"Woah woah woah, slow down, man! Where does that thing even go-- fine, fine, I'll talk! Not like you'll catch the others in time anyway. This letter... is written in Chamalian. It's instructions by our boss? What, who our boss is? Haha, I ain't that dumb! Guy is scary!"

Apart from being annoying as hell, this guy also seems to be foreign. Or a sailor. Or a foreign sailor. His incredibly weird way of talking implies it, anyway. Chamalian... You're sure to have heard that name somewhere, but where, exactly? It's got to be some sort of obscure nation. Perhaps you should invest some time there.

(No roll needed for the library, just time! Aka your next post. Unless you want to do something else first. Like, say, giving the drat dragon his stupid money back. Basically, sifting the library takes up an entire action in itself.)

Karl

Roughly two days later, you are slowly coming to regret your idea of fasting in the middle of a desert. It's too drat hot, the wind is constantly blowing sand in your eyes... oh, and there's demons staring at you out of the corners of your eyes.

Did I mention the demons yet? Turns out, they're either real... or you're already delusional. A few hours later, at dusk, you collapse from exhaustion. In the brief moment of consciousness, you see one of the demons turn your head and claw into your cheek. It feels incredibly cold, and you feel a demonic laugh echo within your very soul as your vision fades.

---

When you wake up, you find yourself in a strange room, lying in a bed. You can hear noises coming from outside, but you can't make anything specific out.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 5, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

The poor were right. Asking questions and offering condolences and sympathy would only get her so far. What these people needed beyond anything else was action. They needed money, security, medicine, food, all things that she could not provide on her own right now. Two thousands and some hundreds of years ago? No problem. But she lost everything she had, no long able to give these needy what they needed to have to be safe. But what she could do is use the one thing she still had, her force of personality, to demand that somebody else help her with it.

And who better than the supposed rulers of this rat nest of a city?

Though these people trusted her, she needed to give back. So it was little problem to convince them that by signing a piece of paper they would be helping her help them. First a few dozen singed. Then a few hundred. Then a thousand. She couldn't handle it by herself, but flyers came back to her filled out entirely with roughly scrawled signatures and X's to create piles and piles of petition pages. Anathema carried no weight herself anymore, not with her history being wiped from the city library, but with the backing of the people like this she had something to work with. These people had spirit, and they deserved better than the slums they were stuck in thanks to this war.

A proud and noble elf walking up to the steps of the grand palace was probably a sight that nobody in Ark's Landing had ever seen before. But as she marched through the central square and up the marble stairway, they saw. And Anathema did not shy away, for every eyeball that was on her was one that was not on the few helpers with her that were aiding in the carrying of the thousands upon thousands of sheets of the petition. Simply far too many for Anathema to carry on her own. If the guards moved to stop her, Anathema did no threaten. But neither did she stop. She came here with the support of the people on at her back, and she was not going to let them down by stopping before she handed in the demand.

Once she was many feet higher than the square and the surrounds, high enough that any who were near could see, Anathema turns around. She had stood in front of crowds before, and by either sheer novelty or shock at the boldness of this foreigner a few of the high born were stopping and staring up at her now. Time to stake her claim. "Ark's Landing!" She calls, her accent further cementing her alien nature. "I have with me a petition." She motions to the pages in her hand, and the many more the strong-backed lads hauling the piles of papers with her held. "It calls for more food to be made available to the starving! It calls for fresh and clean water to be provided to those without a drop to drink! It calls for medicine to be given to the sick! It calls for security to protect rather than intimidate! It calls for lower taxes on those who have already given everything they own to the war!" Her voice is loud and domineering, but not angry. It is a well practised tone, one to orate to a crowd and make her voice heard over the din of feasting nobles alike. "It calls for those fleeing the war to not be found victims here, in glorious Ark's Landing, where they so desperately seek sanctuary! Is a kingdom so great when so many of her own subject suffer?" The Basilissa explains, pointing to the solid castle doors behind her. "And it is signed by thousands of those in need! Every name, every mark, every X is a soul in need of succour and a voice that cannot be heard by the rulers living behind such thick citadel walls as these!"

"It is in their names that I demand an audience with Regent de Wulfe and the bastard Princess Sevvran!"

Robodog: galvanising the poor to sign a petition
[3:54pm] Robodog: !r 2d6+6
[3:54pm] Krysmbot: Robodog, 7+6 = 13

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Chamalian eh? Well, time to get a studying. Amerigo spends an annoying amount of time tracking down this deeply deeply stupid tongue so he can decode what's on the letter. The hoard would have to wait, and hopefully there'd still be most of it left when he got back. He makes sure to get a count of it so he can at least know how badly he's going to punish the crew when the till comes up short.

Yup, spending that turn.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Wearily Kurt regards the newcomer. The Prophet had arrived, and the inquisition is sure to follow. Yet another complication but hopefully its something he can turn to his advantage. As the Windspeaker whispers to her, Kurt's attention focus elsewhere. The battle in the capital has gone badly. The Bear must of marched night and day to make it, but hes there now and any chance of freeing the prisoners has gone up in smoke. The captain is wounded...but he values Barthalos's life more. Mentally he rearranges his forces, preps safehouses, and further distractions.

Barthalos, pull out. With the Bear there, we don't have a chance to rescue the prisoners. We're cutting our loses and making for safety. Kurt sends. You know what hes done! He's right in front of me! Just a little more and I'll have him! comes Barthalos's angry response. You're far more precious. I will not spend any more lives on this. The way out is being prepared. Go to ground, not a peep. The Bear is likely to start pawing for you after this, give him nothing. Kurts answer has the tone of finality, and there is no further objection.

As the ladies finish their talking, Kurt stands up. There is the muted metal clinking of his armor as he steps forward and speaks, "Welcome Samarah...or do you prefer Prophet? This day seems to be devoted to unexpected guests, in all their forms. I can guess fairly well why you're here. Would you care to join us for dinner? Or would you prefer to speak now?"

Using King in Hiding[+4] to set up a retreat for my fighters. Other people are setting a couple fires nearby, moving carts loaded with hay into place to be set on fire as well to block pursuit, innocent looking crowds to block LoS, etc. Meanwhile those safehouses are ready to take fighters in, disguise them, make them safe.

Tactical Retreat: 2d6+4 15

And basically asking if Samarah wanted to talk over dinner or here.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Secure the prison! No one and I mean no one leaves here until this situation is under control." As the rest of the squad poured in, he nodded to his Sergeant. "These men wish to fight to the death for their country. Oblige them. I will ensure the safety of the Captain of the Guard."

"Yes sir!"

And the commander strode forward, sword drawn, visor down, he kicked open the inner doors of the prison and saw three rebels attempting an exit.

"I would strongly advise you come at me all at once boys." He said hefting the Winter's Edge in his hand. "You might just have a snowball's chance in Hel."

---

Whilst Viktor's men secure the prison and put dirty rebels to the sword, he is gonna try and cut his way to the captain of the guard. This will use [+4] Bear of The North for this.

21:11 TheNabster Viktor's gonna cut dudes up
21:11 TheNabster !r 2d6+4
21:11 Krysmbot TheNabster, 3+4 = 7

Hmmm, I think that cutting through might take a while

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

The King in Hiding's holdfast is even more unmanned and shabby than I'd anticipated. Strict discipline in those he has here, but the sorry state of the castle is impossible to hide. It makes me smile - I was shabby once too, before Ra'Loah found me. As Barlas leads me through the hallways of this hidden fortress towards the soul I seek we say nothing - I'm content to observe what I can before meeting with someone so important to Ra'Loah's plan's, and he seems distracted. Too distracted. Hmmm... ah, figured it out.

As I'm brought before Kurt, I remove my hood, revealing eyes that match my fiery hair and a surprisingly youthful visage. "King of Hissin," I incline my head towards him but do not bow, and then look towards the Windspeaker without granting her the same honor. I've often wondered about her - either she serves Ra'Loah unknowingly, or her time mocking the gifts of God is rapidly drawing to a close...

The Windspeaker seems to want some sort of confrontation. Her words are easy enough to figure out, if obviously incorrect. She seems to believe that the Wolf isn't destined to fall before Leona's armies, which is incorrect, as I've seen it happen in my visions. Her fate is sealed. And since the Windspeaker took it upon herself to impart unwarranted advice to me, so I suppose it's customary that I do the same - and at least mine is actually true. "I pray that you find the Light of Ra'Loah - and soon - for your own sake."

As she draws back and the king speaks, I answer his questions in a humble but firm voice, black robes rustling slightly as I move slowly closer to him. "Either Samarah or the Lady Samarah is acceptable, it matters little to me, Your Grace." He seems to think he knows why I'm here, at which point my smile widens ever so slightly. "Dinner would be welcome. I'm certainly not going to refuse your hospitality, and we've much to talk about." And more afterwards perhaps... he is handsome, and Ra'Loah celebrates life.

I'm close enough to him now to touch him, and no one's raised a hand against me - though I slowly and gently raise one to his forehead, my hand warm and soothing like a campfire on a cold night. "Though we should start with seeing to you - I can't bear to see one of Ra'Loah's chosen suffering."

<Rauri> Offer Divine Aid and Succor to the King in Hiding
<Rauri> !r 2d6+6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10 + 6 = 16
Trying to restore Kurt's physical and mental health + if the roll overruns the difficulty, bless him for the tasks Ra'Loah has in store for him - basically casting Greater Restoration if you want to be DnD about it. Utilizing Prophet of Ra'Loah [+6] for this purpose.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anathema, Sudden Clarity and Leona

As you chat, you suddenly get interrupted by a servant informing you that... an elf started a petition to speak with the Regent and Princess Leona. How ridiculous.

Regardless, Wulfe just sighs, chalking it up to yet another waste of time and lets said Elf in. The elf and de Wulfe join Leona's conversation, most likely much to her chagrin.

Wulfe just looks at the elf dismissively. "You again. What do you want? A lecture on how things work around here, perhaps? Hmph."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

It is always difficult for me to appear as deferential as is proper. Being told to stand up is actually rather unfortunate, as it means I have to way to hide the piercing, suspicious stare I am sure is painted across my face. "Rumors. Yes. The King is far away, and the Wolf is... well, a wolf. I am sure the empty throne has drawn many eyes." I let the unspoken question hang in the air for a moment. Deferential is one thing, but suicidal I am not.

"Of course, those rumors do exist, and I can see how... some... might believe them. If you are to raise your troops, you must stay far away from Ark, at least for now." I crick my neck; that always seems to make people nervous. "For appearances' sake, of course. I have only the whispers that filter into our temples to go by, but I gather that darkness creeps into many of the outlying territories, and floods in to fill the void left by your brother's glorious passage. Perhaps the benighted souls of the Vale would benefit from your..."

The door opens, revealing the Wolf and... someone I do not recognize. An elf. My fingers gently remind me of how close my sword is, how long it would take to draw it. Careful. Be patient, do not act recklessly. I'm trying, elder, but it is difficult.

"L. Lady de Wulfe." I bow stiffly, even more unsure of how I ought to present myself than I was before. "The Order Resplendent sends its regards. May the gods watch over you, and over all of Sevvran."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

For an out of place elf, Anathema doesn't hold herself like one. Because, really, she wasn't out of place at all. she had done this a million times, high powered political meetings were her life. Her walk is full of confidence, her head is held high and proud. Nobody is hiding those ears away from the stares of courtly ladies and lowly servants. With petition in hand, she strides with purpose. Heels click on the polished marble floor. Dagger hanging easy at her side. Though nobody knew her, she cuts an impressive figure.

Nodding graciously to the servant who lets her in, Anathema bows her head slightly to both the Regent and the Princess. In part out of politeness, and in part as an apology for interrupting them. Though her cause was just, there was no excuse for rudeness if one could avoid it. The monk gets an acknowledging nod as well. For her to be in audience with the Princess, she must be an impressive figure indeed. But, lacking any knowledge of the religious orders and cults of Sevvran, Anathema had no grounding as to whom she may be. The Order Resplendent? Best treat her with respect all the same.

"If I may make a suggestion, Regent de Wulfe?" Anathema offers as she approaches the centre of power in all Ark's Landing, stepping in behind the Regent. "Perhaps do not reply so needlessly aggressively." There is a fine line with throwing words back at people, but Anathema offers no smirk nor a smug tone. It is simply advice, the same she was given when she arrived. It seemed the perfect time to give it. "And no lecture is needed, Regent de Wulfe. I am well versed in Sevvrani political systems and dynasties." Thanks to the lovely librarian assistant, Anathema was now a wealth of Sevvrani trivia. "As for how things work around here, this is precisely why I am here."

Anathema looks the two rulers. "Princess Leona. Regent de Wulfe." She addresses each in turn, her voice weighty and carrying a serious tone. If she was at all intimidated or kowtowed by being in front of the Regent and Princess, she was not letting any of it show. "My petition comes to you on behalf of the impoverished and destitute of the city." She begins. "Conflict affects all, but some feel the debilitating consequences far earlier than others. The poor and the war refugees seeking sanctuary now make up more than half the population of Ark's Landing. But yet, they are given nothing."

"On behalf of the people, I must ask of you: Does the King value his war over the well being of his own subjects?" She asks of the King's own representatives.

[6:08pm] Robodog: rolling a giant charisma stat because yami made me
[6:08pm] Robodog: !roll 2d6+6
[6:08pm] Krysmbot: Robodog, 11+6 = 17

Robodog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sudden Clarity

"Sudden Clarity, is it? Pleased to make your acquaintance. But sadly i fear right now we need action, not prayer. I hear you are very commendable in that regard."

After greeting you, she quickly turns to the elf.

Anathema

"Somebody who talks back at me in that kind of tone? ... How refreshing. Now, if i actually know the name of the outsider elf so quick to make audacious assumptions, I may even begin to listen."

BP opportunity! Do you tell her your name and risk getting affected by its reputation, or do you avoid it? How?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker, 1BP

“’The rewards for initiative are great and terrible to behold’ has been the motto of this bank since it’s inception and for very good reason. Yes, if you think there’s an opportunity for greater profit, not taking it would be unconscionable. However, when you’re betting my gold, my resources, my reputation, you had better be damned sure it's a safe bet. Now I did not say ‘get these people working’, I said, "find out why they are refusing to work". Now, I am fair, there was a general upswing in productivity for a few days, but now there’s not. And with all that manpower now lost, there is unlikely to be much profit in the future. You took the initiative, for which you shall be rewarded but you bet it all on black and now you’re so far in debt that you will never, never be able to repay me. That is you’re punishment. You’re reward” Glaumdrang smirked, his maw full of razorsharp teeth “Is that I am a quick eater”.

One punishment dispensed and one ruined dinner reservation later, Glaumdrang was planning. The Sunk Cost Fallacy only rarely applied to him because there was always some return to be made, even if it was decades or centuries down the line and so he was willing to stick at this. People were born all the time and replacements could be made to appear if need be. But for that to matter, he needed to be in a position to dig greedily and deeply into the wealth of the Mistlands. His pride would not allow anything else. With grace and a good deal of caution, he penned a letter to his head of security. It was time to procure some outside contractors.

Let’s hire some mercenaries and finally get some return on investment. +4 - First Bank Of Sevvran because not only do mercenaries cost money, there’s no doubt Glaumdrang has employed some in the past. I don’t think the malus would apply in this instance, since the hiring itself is being centered around the capital. I’m also going to bank the BP for now.

OscarDiggs !r 2d6+4
foxxbot OscarDiggs, 4 +4 = 8

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 12, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

"You should heed good advice no matter where it comes from, Regent de Wulfe." Anathema points out to the ruler, and she was right. Even the lowliest peasant may present insight enough to save an entire empire. To dismiss it all out of hand, why, that was just negligent. But, this Regent was from the ranks of the army. She was not an administrator. It stood to reason she knew little of how to rule properly. "But if you demand a name from me, then who am I to deny the Regent?"

All the history books Anathema poured over in the library gave some detail of the Dominion, more often than not the ruins the grand empire left behind. But no mention of her name. No mention of the three hundred year rule of Basilissa Anathema, heralding in an empire like no other ever seen on the face of the world. Her name had been erased or forgotten, on purpose of simply a victim of the passage of time. However the cause, she felt that given this the odds her name would be recognised were slim to nil. And so…

"You may call me Anathema, Regent de Wulfe."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle

How gratifying it would have been to kill the little lapdog. The High Sorceress sees her retreat as the smoke clear, sees Sinara raising her arms, preparing a casting. Lavelle reaches over and takes her wrist.

"No," she says, shaking her head. "Let her go. Her time will come, and let us not distract from securing our prise," she says. With that the rebel leader turns, marching across the battle field towards the wagons that motivated this entire venture.

"Secure these!" Lavelle commands with a wide gesture. "We must move and move quickly, before all we have gained is snatched from us by the Oppressor." She's using her Rebellion voice, clear, crisp, authoritative. "Leave no survivors," she says to Trilon, "Let our enemies know the fate that awaits them." In truth, it seems all the guards are dead, but best to make sure. Let them piece it together from the evidence and whatever tales the Pup spreads. That, and even the best magic can't protect against an unexpected crossbow bolt to the back.

Trilon takes a couple of the rebels to go through and make sure their enemies stay dead. Sinara rallies the rest to prepare the wagons to move out in short order. If they're quick about it, they can be gone by the time the patrol arrives.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt quirks an eyebrow as Samarah raises her hand. Barlas starts to lay his hand on his sword but a quick thought tells the man to relax. Reluctantly, the knight stops his motion and returns to a resting position. When the Prophets hand touches his brow he is unsure what...what he feels...warmth? Light? The feeling withdraws as quickly as it arrives leaving....nothing. The pain is gone from his head. He gives her a quick smile, before returning to business...though she is lovely. As she withdraws Kurt stands up, pocketing the sphere Windspeaker had changed. He'll inspect it later this night after his guests had left.

"Then ladies, let us retire for now to the dining hall."

As they make their way inside the rough and weathered exterior turns into a well maintained and clean interior. The dining hall itself is a large open hall, well lit and decorated. There is already a hustle and bustle as servants finish preparing the meal. Large stone tables, seemingly cut out of the mountain itself, line the hall along with wooden chairs. A more ornate one lies at the head of the hall, underneath a large banner proudly displaying the Hissin flag. Kurt will make his way to the head of the hall, guests in tow. As they sit down the main doors open and the troops come in to sit.

There is a moment of silence as cups are picked up by all and Kurt says, "To fallen comrades".

"To fallen comrades" comes the echoing reply. Then dinner begins. Its a hearty meal of traditional Hissin fair. Goat and lamb is the main meat of choice, with a wide variety of mountain herbs and spices. Mushrooms also feature heavily in side dishes in many creative ways.

Kurt eats only a bit before asking his guests, "So what does bring you to Hissin? Besides the food of course" he says with a smile.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

Karl lies in the bed. The sheets itch, but maybe that's his skin, which crackles with pain. He remembers the demon attack and then...nothing. Where is he? And what is he doing here? Someone must have found his body. He tenses up when he hears the voices outside. Are they friend or foe? Priests of Sevvran are not often given hospitable treatment in the Red Vale, but if they had wanted him dead, that would be easy enough to arrange. So, friends, then? Or foes, taking him hostage? At any rate, he was at their mercy. He was too weak to fight, and he was hardly a trained fighter anyway. He gets to his feet, although both his legs and his head protest that, and he tries to make his way to the door.

Heading to the door. Listening, if I can

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Samarah follows the King in Hiding to the dining hall of course, folding her hands into the sleeves of her dark robes as she accompanies him and the Windspeaker to the table. Is it surprising that she immediately takes a seat at his right hand? It shouldn't be - Ra'Loah's destiny for her is to counsel and aid Its chosen, and Kurt Hissin happens to be one of them. When the time comes to raise their glasses in a toast she participates as well, eyes seeming to glimmer in the dim light as she thinks about the other priests and priestesses of Ra'Loah's flock. Have they fared as well as she has? Doubtful... she's not so young as to imagine that everything's gone well for all of them. Some have doubtless failed trials of faith and paid the price for it, and it's those poor souls that she prays even as she adds to the chorus of "To Fallen Comrades."

The food that Kurt serves is doubtless the best Samarah's had in at least a year, if not longer. Diligently thanking Ra'Loah for both providing this food and guiding her here, she moves to compliment her mortal host as well. "If only it was just the food, your Grace. It's a rare treat for me to enjoy both the dishes of Hissin and a King's hospitality. That said, I should repay you on a personal level before moving onto greater matters."

Moving her plate to the side with one hand, she produces a bit of parchment she's sealed with wax with the other hand so effortlessly that you'd swear she'd been holding it this whole time. Handing it to Kurt, she smiles as she waits for him to unwrap it. From what she's learned in her twenty-plus years traversing Sevvran, nobles love the drama involved with them opening things and it never hurts to carefully present your message - and this one's particularly worth the dramatic tension. It's got Samarah's detailed drawing of exactly the sword she saw in her vision, the one belonging to his bloodline and lost in a swamp somewhere.

"The sword of your ancestors lies waiting for you in a swamp within your birthright, King in Hiding, and I know that it is your destiny to find it - I have seen all of these things in the fires and ash and wind." She doesn't actually know any more about it, which is exactly why she's done giving out hints about the sword.

"However, of even greater importance..." Samarah looks deadly serious, glancing at the Windspeaker suspiciously before deciding it's destiny she be here for this moment and relaxing. "I am here as the Prophet of the One God Ra'Loah, and it's Its will I must speak of. King of Hissin, there are two paths before you. You can fight the destiny the True God has for you, and wage your war without the help of Heaven, fail and die alone and abandoned - I wish it were not so, but I have foreseen it." It's hard to understate the conviction, the raw emotion and zealotry - perhaps even authority - the Prophet of Ra'Loah is exhibiting.

For one brief moment her hair is blown about by a wind imperceptible to everyone else. "Or you can embrace the One True God." Samarah offers a hand, looking ever so vivid and hopeful. "Your Grace, Leona Sevvran is the One True Queen, fated by Ra'Loah to save the living from threats you can barely begin to imagine - to serve as its champion during the Final Days of our world." She sounds so sure of all of this. "I've seen your banner fluttering among her warhost in my dreams - seen you at her side, grander crowns than you now wear atop both your heads. Both of you are dear to the Great God Ra'Loah, I'm sure of it... I wish only to guide you, to share the Light of the True God and help you claim your rightful destiny."

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 16, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt just nods along to Samarah's words until the lost sword is mentioned. Could it be the sword of the founder, lost since his death at the beginning of the Hissin kingdom? There is only one swamp in Hissin, by the mountain river on the eastern border but he has no idea why or how it would of ended up there. But the image on the scroll matches the one told in family legend. Her next words are...disconcerting. Himself, chosen by this god of hers, to aid a Sevvan princess in taking her brothers throne? Kurt doubts for moment that anything could ever entice him do so...until he remembers the betrayal Sevvan had inflicted upon his own kingdom. Samarah only said she saw him by Leona's side in her moment of triumph. Not what might happen afterwards to the weakened victor. Besides, Kurt doesn't believe in fate. Or the intervention of benevolent gods. Where were they when Sevvan put his kingdom to the torch?

No. His fate is his own to decide, whether it be folly and failure or victory. All Samarah will give him is the opportunity for an alliance with Leona. Which is something he does need, allies to aid him in his own fight. The Bear is already at his door, and the Inquisition is sure to follow through here looking for Samarah.

"You speak with great conviction Prophet, but I have only your word to go on. Still, I cannot deny the appeal of an alliance between myself and Leona. You've seen the state of my kingdom in your travels. How it was ravaged in the war and still suffers. I desire only its freedom. If your one True Queen can offer me this, I can hardly turn her down. But at the moment I am hard pressed to do more than strike from the shadows in my own home."

Kurt looks at both the Windspeaker and Samarah. "The Inquisition is sure to follow your steps here and inflict their grubby paws on my people as they search for you. And even as we speak, The Bear is in my capital fighting. He alone will tie up my hands. If Leona can get him to leave, then we may talk further about an alliance. Until he has been dealt with I can not offer her any support."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Listening to Sudden Clarity speak.... well, she might be right, a call to action could be the very thing the Realm, and I need. But do I dare? Regardless of how it looks, if anything were to happen to my brother, or any usurpers make an attempt while he was away, without being situated at the palace, any chance of my own to secure my claim would be lost. Or at least severally disadvantaged. But before I have a chance to answer, or even Sudden Clarity to finish speaking, we're interrupted by a servant, bringing de Wulfe and ....an elf with a petition?

Puzzled, and a bit irritated by this rude interuption, I turn to the two with a royal smile plastered on my face. The elf was not who I expected though, and she seemed both polite and beautiful, at least to me. To de Wulfe, she was much ruder. I give her a polite nod in greeting while I wait for her to speak. Anathema... The name sounds familiar, but I can't place it either. She's championing a noble cause, at least on the surface. Her motives are probably much murkier. "Lady Anathema," a courtesy given mainly due to her appearance and bearing, "I have a question I hope you might be able to answer if you've spent time with these people. My Brother's wars have been moving steadily outward from Ark's Landing, further into .... enemy land. If these people have fled the war when it was near their homes, why have they not returned now that it has moved away from there? Do they lack the means or supplies to return? Is there some other reason?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

For now, at least, the Princess was showing her a modicum of respect. More than what the Regent had shown her. Hopefully that meant she was more open minded towards people who weren't humans compared to the far more martial Regent. As to her question, Anathema respectfully nods her head. "They've shown me great kindness since I have been in your capital, Princess Leona." She answers. She may not have been here long compared to these two rulers of the city, but she lived among these people for her entire time in Ark's Landing so far.

"Return to what, Princess Leona?" Anathema answers, turning her full attention to the bastard half-sister of the ruling king. How much power that royal blood afforded Anathema did not know, but for her to be in the palace alongside the ruling Regent she must have considerable clout. "Their homes are no longer standing, cities and villages have been razed to the ground for daring to stand between your brother's army and those of the enemy. And the lands they lived on are shattered beyond recognition, utterly war-torn. Fit only to sow corpses and reap tears."

Anathema's eyes glance to the Regent and this monk, Sudden Clarity, to see how they react to her words before continuing with the Princess. "Have you seen verdant valleys after the land has been turned into a battlefield, Princess Leona? Or had a legion of troops stationed there for months on end? An army can be seen in metaphor as a hoard of locusts; they pass through the land and leave nothing in their wake." She asks, unsure if she was a military woman or one more at home with palace life. "As soldiers take time to heal from the horrors of war, so too does the land. Those seeking sanctuary in Ark's Landing do not wish to stay here forever, they want to go home with their families more than anything. But they do not feel safe outside of the capital. Their homes have been destroyed. Their lands have been ruined. They have to rebuild from nothing and they do not want to start that while armies still roam and war plagues the land. Even if most were brave enough to start to rebuild, all resources are devoted to conquest. Nothing is being given to renewal in the wake of conflict. How is one with nothing expected to start again when they lack the means to even feed their family?"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren: Quick reminder for two things! 1) use the turn tracker, please! It only works if everyone notes themselves in, and it makes it much easier to keep track off.

Secondly, note any BP you gained in your post. :siren:

Amerigo

It's the state language of an old kingdom from even before the first King Leopold. Nothing special there. What does make the entire thing more interesting is their people. They were rumored (but never truly confirmed) to have the strange ability to change shape.

How the vanished from history is anybody's guess. Perhaps they were conquered by others, perhaps they deleted themselves from history... but the fact that these people know the language is very, very, curious indeed.

Voss

Unfortunately, the men you're fighting are working with uncanny coordination, and it makes it incredibly irritating to fight them. The assassins sent for the captain are dealt with, but your men had close to no success. Burning hay everywhere, panicking crowds, and so on, and very quickly, the assailants are gone. It seems Kurt Hissin himself lent them a hand.

The captain of the guard is going to need some serious medical attention, but he should hopefully survive. The question is, what now? Try to chase them, restore order, or did you have something else in mind?

With the taste of (a) disappointment still lingering in your throat, you read the letter from your contacts.

While you did get some mercenaries, your goon's failure scared off any real mercenaries, so... you kind of got some foolhardy adventurers. They're enthusiastic enough... but they will probably need some herding.

Lavelle

Back in your hideout, your group revels in the victory as you sift through the loot. Some much needed weaponry and food, as expected. But what's more interesting is that there's a letter hidden in a secret department. Even more curiously, it's magically sealed. You don't recognize the spell, exactly, but it doesn't look like it's merely meant to keep the letter closed...

Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

You merely hear the wind howling outside. You quickly realize that this is just a tiny hut, and it's not locked at all. Through the keyhole, you see what appears to be a hermit monk in meditation.

Kurt Hissin and Samarah

"What brings me here is duty." the Windspeaker replies to you, as cryptically as ever, Kurt Hissin. "If you must know, I am here to observe."

Meanwhile, Samarah, the Windspeaker doesn't even bother facing you as she responds. "For her chosen prophet, you sure are utterly tactless... but who am I to question the judgement of the divine."

The words likely leave you somewhat speechless. As you glance at her you only get the same near emotionless, but seemingly unblinking gaze in return.

"I must apologize for angering you earlier, King in Hiding. I had to ascertain your heart is in the right place. And considering your actions, it truly appears to be. As an apology, let me explain what the orb you found is. It's a scrying orb. I fixed it to the best of my ability, but you're going to need some luminous oil to get it fully functional again."

Getting up, she continues. "However, I must depart now. I wish you the best of success in your quest. Just know that you are not going to succeed without allies."

A quick glance at her plate shows that she didn't even eat a single item of food.

"Unless you have something you wish to ask, I will now bid my farewell."

Quornes, you missed your chance at a BP. You need to do something actively detrimental to your character, like, in this case, attacking the Windspeaker. However, this was a test, and instead, the windspeaker told you how to fix your orb.

Anathema, Sudden Clarity and Leona

"It's not often dead myths give such sound advice, but it is true. de Wulfe replies. "Unfortunately, neither food nor money can be summoned with magic yet, lest it'd actually be worthwhile to have around."

Pacing about the room, arms behind her back, she continues. "Your intentions are well enough, but sadly your view is limited."

"Perhaps you could stick around as an advisor. Someone who is not afraid to speak their mind would be a welcome change. And, who knows, perhaps you could teach Princess Leona a thing or two..." de Wulfe offers. "If you are interested, that is."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 20, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

"It pays to be a student of history, Regent de Wulfe. Dead myths often have lessons to teach others," Anathema, cooly though she bristles at the comment, reminds Regent de Wulfe. "Lest they too fall folly to mistakes of yore." Right now at least the Regent had to think Anathema was some deranged elf, but her not having been thrown out was a testament to her oratory prowess. "Perhaps if magic were not censored so the ability to summon food and water would be widely known by now. But alas." Magic certainly wasn't embraced like it was back in the Paramountcy.

The offer was certainly unexpected. While Anathema wasn't sure the state had supplies to spare, she certainly did not think her brash apperance would secure her a position. They must be desperate for good help in the palace. "Be assured I always speak my mind, Regent de Wulfe. Whether I am in the employ of the crown or not." Anathema answers both her and Leona. "I may be interested." She allows herself to taste the baited hook. "But I must ask, would that be an advisor to the Regent, or to the Princess?" She tries to clarify. "And what of those on whose behalf I came to the Crown to appeal for… humanitarian assistance?" As an elf, she could not simply say that word without a slight undercurrent of distaste in her mouth. As if humans had a monopoly on welfare and charity.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I see." Her words are troubling. If we can't afford to feed these masses, it seems unlikely we could afford to supply them to return to their own lands. How did the kings of old handle this sort of matter? Tales speak of an empire spanning the entire world, lead by a cruel, but brilliant tyrant. They said he cried when he reached the sea, knowing there were no more lands to conquer. What would they have done, I wonder. "I think, Lady Anathema, this isn't a matter that can be settled here and now. Others in the court will need to be consulted to discuss how to solve this issue. But when you return to the people, please let them know I have heard of their plight, and will do what I can for them." As little as that is, given I'm little more than ornamental here at court.

Which is the same reason why the suggestion to take Anathema as an adviser startles me. It also makes me bristle slightly at the implications, though I don't show either reaction on my face as I turn to de Wulfe. "Not that I'm objecting to the suggestion, Lady Regent, but... what exactly are you- no, a conversation for later." I turn back to look at Anathema again though, with a more inspecting gaze. What a beauty... And she speaks for the people, they would be good to have on my side, and if she's wise like de Wulfe thinks, so would she.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lavelle

The raiding party makes their escape with their prize, using the clothing of their fallen enemies to create disguises and bring the supply train to one of the tertiary safe houses. From there, items will be distributed by hand and under concealment to the more secure hideaways. Trilon sections out weapons and foodstuffs for each of their caches, while Sinara and the High Sorceress herself proceed directly back to the headquarters with the magical treasures.

The two are in the meeting room, less cramped for being just them. As the door shuts Sinara takes her hair down, Lavelle sheds her cloak. With almost girlish anticipation, the sorceress opens the box they found in the compartment, rife with the stink of magic. What could be inside? An enchanted amulet? Genuine Dragon's tooth?

"A letter!?" Sinara snorts with disgust.

Lavelle eyes her lieutenant. "Come, Sinara," she says. "What have I always said is our most valuable weapon?"

"Information," Sinara said with a vague humph.

Lavelle twirls the letter in her fingers. "What could be in here? It's not merely a protection spell..."

"Fetch two grains of black sand, a vial of alchemist's powder, and my braiser," Lavelle says. Sinara had other plans in mind. No matter, the Sorceress has made up her mind. She departs to go to the storage closet while Lavelle prepares herself for a casting.

<Platonicsolid> Lavelle is casting a detection spell, to figure out what's on the letter and how to defuse it.
<Platonicsolid> .roll 2d6+4
<Platonibot> Platonicsolid: 11 (2d6+4=2, 5)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

I glare sullenly at the elf who calls herself Anathema. What a vile legend to cloak oneself in! Does she presume that putting on such a name gives her the right to advise royalty? "The people of Ark do deserve our pity and our help, my lady," I say, trying not to grit my teeth, "but we need not fear for them; they are protected by the strength of their faith. The gods watch over all of us." Even you, elf. While some elves have been brought under the gaze of Vallen, something tells me this Anathema is not among them. Still, the grace of the gods aside, 'the difference between a loyal dog and a raging wolf is a day without meat'; crime and unrest will surely be close on the heels of famine in the city.

I touch my forehead in a gesture of blessing towards the Princess and Regent. "I beg your forgiveness, Highness, Regent. I have little skill with words. Please think on my... suggestion, Princess." I hold her gaze for a moment. "In the meantime, perhaps my sword may prove sharper than my tongue. Please grant me leave to perform some service to the Realm while you..." waste time in pointless equivocation "discuss the matter."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

This monk spoke like monks tended to do, full of undeserved confidence given to them by their god. Anathema tolerated religion, but had little time to listen to those initiated in the church drone on about their faith and how great and glorious their divine overlords were. "Faith does not feed the hungry or clothe the naked, Sudden Clarity." Anathema notes to the monk, her tone and demeanour a touch less respectful than how she was addressing the regent and princess. "Though the church is providing what it can, it is but a drop in the ocean."

Anathema nods respectfully to the princess. "Your word carries with it the weight of the crown. I am sure your promise of aid will hearten the people tremendously, Princess Leona." She appeals to the princess' ego. Because all royals had enormous egos, and they all loved being shamelessly flattered. The elf doubted very much that had changed in the time she was in-between reality. "Of course, Princess Leona." She again nods respectfully to both the princess and the regent. "I expect that the appointment of a new advisor will require some discussion between yourself and Regent de Wulfe. I shan't interrupt such private talks."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sudden Clarity

"Hah, you do speak my tongue, Sudden Clarity. Very well, I will grant you your request. I'll even provide you a target. Head for the Crimson Canyon. According to recent information, a particularly nasty group of bandits made their home there." de Wulfe suggests.

Anathema

After Sudden Clarity leaves, de Wulfe turns to you. "So you really are not afraid to speak your mind, even before those possibly narrow-minded enough to harm you for it? I think we'll get along just fine, Anathema. And yes, I would like to discuss this matter with the Princess. You may as well get a servant to show you around. Just tell them I ordered it.

Princess Leona

Now that you're alone with de Wulfe, she just looks towards you, as if expecting you to say something. You can see the faintest grin on her face...

Lavelle

The letter opens, but... wait, what's that sizzle?

A secondary spell?! The letter starts to erode, bottom up. But you can make out the following:

quote:

The Wolf's Pup has outlived her usefulness, and is starting to stumble onto far too many secrets. Make her disappear, permanently. I goaded her into escorting the supply caravan headed for the front lines to the border, after which she will deliver this letter to you. That will be your chance.

Do not take her lightly, however, for she has the --

Damnit! The letter eroded the best part away before you could read the best parts...

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

A scrying orb? If he could get such a thing to work with his powers, he might extend his range beyond the borders of Hissin. Coordinate spies and saboteurs in outside territories taken by Sevvan. Maybe even reach into the capital itself. Though this luminous oil is not something he's heard of before. Barthalos still needs time to recover from the stab wound he received in the fighting, but the man is sure to know about this oil given his alchemical training.

"You're here to observe...for whom?"

Meanwhile in a village of Hissin, near the nefarious swamp, an expedition begins. The local cell, mostly inactive besides gathering local supplies and training, has just received new orders...

Sending forth a party to seek out the swamp and the sword using King in Hiding[+4]. Of course, finding it is all well and said but Kurt still needs to get it to himself

Quest for the Sword: 2d6+4 14

Quornes fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 26, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Voss looked over the burning city, sword in hand, groaning captain of the guard on the floor. They had secured the prison yes, but the drat, drat rebel leader that started this fiasco has had it away on his toes, and so have most of his men.

'drat, that last one nearly got me. He thought, clutching his side. I'm getting too old for this.

The truth of the matter was, that Von Voss had spent the last ten or fifteen years of his career constantly thinking that this time he was going to retire. This time was the last time, he would hang up his cape, put down his sword, and return to his home in the northern mountains to live out his days in peace.

But you never could leave alone could you Lord Commander? Every time you thought about putting down the sword, something else convinced you to pick it up again. Every time you went to rest easy some new threat to Sevvran's sovereignty raised it's head from the murky depths and like an old warhorse at the sound of warhorns you charged out once more.

We both know that now of all times, Sevvran needs you the most.

"Sir?" The sudden interruption snapped Viktor back to the present. "We've been trying to pursue the rebels as per your orders sir, but they've-"
"Stand them down sergeant, they could be anywhere by now, they could have fled via the gates, the sewers, hell they could have walked around the corner and become normal civilians again." He sheathed his sword and turned back to the sergeant, he had come with some other troopers.
"You two, grab the Captain of the Guard and see that he gets to an apothecary, everyone else I want every able-bodied man putting out fires, putting down looters and putting all the pieces back together. Control must be restored, I won't have this city burned to the ground on my watch. See to it sergeant."
"Yes sir!"

---

Von Voss has the city, now he intends to stabilize it. He has ordered his command to set about putting out fires, securing grain stores and generally just trying to undo or minimlize all the damage the rebels inflicted on their escape. The capitol was safe, for now, let's make sure it stays that way. He will be using Captain and Commander [+4] for this errand, since he is ordering the army to do it.

20:30 TheNabster Von Voss is gonna secure the city so it doesn't burn to the ground
20:30 TheNabster !r 2d6+4
20:30 Krysmbot TheNabster, 7+4 = 11
20:30 TheNabster Neat

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 22, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hmm, curioser and curioser. At least that gave him some kind of lead. Amerigo searches for where the old kingdom was laid out (Unless its just where Sevvran is now), and specifically when and where they supposedly disappeared to. That taken care of, it was time to get the dragon back his loot. The best way would be for the lizard to handle transportation, Amerigo not wanting responsibility for what might happen to several tons of gold just rolling through the streets. The dragon is contacted and he begins rounding up what they collected; hopefully there wouldn't be too much shrink, but he already noticed a higher than normal percentage of the office staff was drunk before noon and also it smelled of much higher quality stuff than usual.

Glaum come get your stuff. GM: Trying to find out more about where/what happened to this old nation, and if any of them are rumored to still exist/any other rumors of shapeshifters. Sharing what I know with Glaum, for the most part.

Research roll w/ [Gentleman and Scholar+4]: 11

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Karl

Karl opens the door and steps through. Seeing the monk meditating, he sits down besides him and begins meditating himself, unwilling to disturb the other's spiritual exercises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Samarah seems to pay the Windspeaker very little mind. The woman had been much less impressive than she'd hoped - both smug and ignorant, the Prophet of Ra'Loah has only a single thing to say to her as she leaves. "I'll be praying for you, Windspeaker." She does not mention what exactly it is she's going to be praying for, as she's trying to be polite.

With her out of mind, she once again returns her attention to the King in Hidding, who seems to be rather interested in the scrying orb he's been given. She's rather more interested by the Bear himself having appeared in Hissin - and in Kurt's rightful wariness concerning him. It seems he needs both counsel and assurances of her usefulness if he's to commit more fully to Ra'Loahs' cause.

She speaks, and there's a power to her voice. "Your majesty... I understand your concerns. For now you must pull back and avoid conflict with Commander Von Voss, and instead search for the Sword of Hissin with the aid of your knights and best followers. By the time you've found it, the One True God Ra'Loah will have seen to it that the Bear has been removed from your lands, of this I'm sure." She's not, but it feels right. Things are too chaotic for him to remain here for long - and if they're not yet, she'll just have to tip the scales herself some. This man is meant to follow her God's cause, of that she's certain.

Samarah stares into the eyes of the King in Hiding as she finishes her spiel, and then smiles mysteriously. "I'll pray for you as well, King in Hiding." It comes across a lot warmer than when she'd mentioned it to the Windspeaker. After all, while she sort of hope the Windspeaker falls off a cliff or something, she's praying for Kurt's soul - and that he realize that Ra'Loah is the one true God indeed, and that It has a special destiny in mind for him, should he merely choose to worship the One True God.

<Rauri> Show Kurt Visions of the Future
<Rauri> !r 2d6+6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+6=15

• Locked thread