Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

I fear my departure is already too late. The sky rumbles, as if in agreement. I shake my head, adjust my robes once more, then push open the great temple doors.

Before me are arrayed nearly all of the monastery's current denizens. I suppose I should be flattered at the ceremony. It is, after all, not often one of us is given such a mission, and the monks have made a show of support. The elders themselves are seated serenely before the gates, and pilgrims swarm to observe, in awe despite being wet and tired. An auspicious send-off! But I know the doubts that lie behind the eyes of my brothers and sisters. More than a few of them have told me openly that they oppose my leaving the temple; how many more have kept their thoughts to themselves?

Enough. I left such fears and doubts behind when I cast off my neophyte's robe. The First Sword does not let the uncertainty of others cause her own blade to waver. I stride down the ancient steps and out into the rain, past the rows of watching eyes. My mentor, Quiet Insight, waits for me at the gate. He raises his hands; we follow his lead, and as one we invoke the blessings of the gods. Send forth your mercy! Send forth your wisdom! But, oh, most of all, send forth your fury! Help us to destroy the vermin that bite at our heels!

The heavens give no reply, save the unending rain. But that is answer enough.

With the prayers complete, my mentor steps forth and hands me an inlaid box. I don't need to open it; I've already seen the treasure inside, when it was brought out as part of a ceremony honoring Ardent Voice, the monk who originally brought it here almost a century ago. It is a slender knife made of jade, with its hilt crafted in the shape of a heron, which Ardent Voice prised from the dead hands of its maker, an enchanter and heretic named Petnos the Hollow. By means of some forbidden and blasphemous art, it allows one to leap incredible distances, and thereby travel at great speed across the land. A wondrous thing, though it assuredly cost Petnos his wretched life, and probably his soul as well. But though its creation was unholy, things are only things; this tool may be turned to the service of the gods, in the right hands. My hands. I bow, and take the box, making a show of being properly reverential.

And then it is time to be away.

I'm going to head to Ark's landing, by means of jumping really far and really fast.

quote:

Sudden Clarity
First Sword of the Order Resplendent

+4 Path of the Eightfold Heavens - The signature martial art of the Order, sometimes called simply "Rain Style" by outsiders, is a thing of terrible beauty and unspeakable power. Legends say that a practitioner once slew an entire army of giants in the space of a heartbeat, and that the gods themselves weep with joy to see its stances and strikes performed by a true master -- hence the constant rainfall that drenches the monastery's surroundings. Nothing like that's happened in modern times, of course; followers of the Path are simply shockingly fast and capable of beautiful and deadly feats of swordplay. Certainly, every student of the style is worth dozens of normal soldiers, and few things inspire terror in the enemy like watching a handful of monks with iron swords shatter a cavalry charge. As such, the Path is one of the most iconic weapons in King Leopold's conquering army; the King provides money and protection to the monks, and, in turn, they dutifully instruct aspiring officers and promising young nobles in the motions of the ancient Path. Many of the kingdom's most famous generals and heroes are former students of the academy. The deepest and most powerful secrets, however, are saved for the monks themselves, and Sudden Clarity is a prodigy unmatched in many decades.

+2 Weather Reading - Though it's dismissed as superstition by some, and seen as a slightly heretical relic of a bygone age by the mainstream Church, the Order still practices the nearly-forgotten art of reading the future in the movement of clouds... with mixed success. Skilled diviners can find glimmers of insight by staring at the skies, but clear and lucid prophecies are very, very rare. On the bright side, there's no shortage of clouds in the Rainlands.

+2 Religious Authority - Many people in Sevvran respect and honor the monastery as a symbol of their religion, so the words of a monk carry much weight among the pious. Not so much as the pope, of course, but still influential -- more than a few peasants would take up pitchforks on hearing a servant of the gods call for it. Sudden Clarity, in contrast to many other monks, has no compunctions about making use of her holy station to control people... as long as it's for a good cause, of course.

-2 Apolitical - The Order has achieved its position of power through a reputation -- one they go to great lengths to maintain -- for impartiality and detachment from courtly squabbles. In times of turmoil, the monks are expected to sit in their temples, keep their mouths shut, and leave the direction of the kingdom to others. What this means in practice is that any overt political moves from the Order are likely to be met with suspicion at best, so Sudden Clarity's ambition must be tempered with subtlety and discretion.

megane fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

It is right that the people of Sevvran should be amazed; for all his sin, Petnos' creation is a mighty thing, and I reach the capital as though borne by the winds themselves. Those I pass gaze in surprise and, I should hope, respect.

But there is none of that to be found among the citizens of Ark. The great city gates tower over me, and once through I am but a strangely-dressed traveller, a single drop of water in an ocean of people. No one gives me a second thought. It is... disconcerting.

The scale of the place! There are single buildings here larger than the entire temple complex. The Rainlands' entire population could like as not fit within the square in which I now stand. An enormous statue of Emperor Leopold I looms over me, carved in uncanny detail from solid marble. Magnificent! It is not without reason that they call this place the jewel of civilization.

...but there is rot, here. In the faces of those passing by I see worry and fear, as though the whole city is simply waiting for a catastrophe they see as inevitable. Or, even worse, hoping for catastrophe, scheming in darkness, that they might profit off of the downfall of the Realm! I grit my teeth. The city seems a boiling pot, filled with rats squabbling to stay alive. I must act!

"Do not despair, oh people of Ark!" I leap to the top of the monument, drawing my blade to catch the eyes of those arrayed below me. "The gods have not abandoned you! Though the Realm is assaulted on all sides, our enemies must slither through the grass like venomous snakes, for they know they face a terrible opponent! They know that the Realm is strong, that its people are strong! We will smite them with divine fury! The people of Sevvran will stand united! Know this: heaven shall aid you in your time of need. Faith shall be your sword and shield!"

Using +2 Religious Authority to rile up the population a bit. I'll wander through the city and talk to people and make speeches and generally cause a big fuss.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

Yes, good! It brings me joy to see hope and faith return to the faces of the people. All may serve the gods, even those who think themselves weak or worthless. A single stone may seem unimportant, but gather enough stones and you may turn the very Yrensias from its path. These humble servants of Vallen shall be the first stones in a great fortress.

Sevvran will need more than a few faithful commoners to ward off the evils that encroach upon it, though. I need an army. Thus, when a man of the Spearhills approaches me with a message from the Bastard Princess herself -- one of the few in Sevvran to boast an army of her own -- I find myself caught between joyful surprise and suspicion. To be called to such an audience, just wen I most need it, seems very auspicious, as though the gods have granted my wish... but there is no doubt in my mind that Her Highness has an agenda of her own in this. The Throne sits empty, after all -- barring the Wolf, who may well be itching for the chance to run free. I know I would. Quiet Insight often said that nobles hunger for power just as a dog hungers for meat.

I crack my knuckles irritably. Dogs may well hunger for meat, but a starving dog must eat what he is given, after all. The Princess has requested that I attend her, and even if she had not, I would still need her support to protect the Realm. Trying to guess at what might lie within her heart is a waste of time; I must convince her regardless!

The man who delivered the letter mutters something about a reply, but I ignore him. Here is my reply: at the first light of dawn, I set off through the winding streets of Ark, up through the endless rows of houses to the nobles' roost upon the hilltops. The occasional reverent glance from those I pass on the way fills me with confidence, for I know that the gods have led me here, for good or ill. I climb the steps to Her Highness's palace and inform the startled footman at the gate that I am here to meet with the Princess as requested. (For some reason, he and the other servants seem somewhat stunned at my presence. I wonder why? I didn't even touch the gate; I gather that they are usually locked, and it is impolite to try and open one without permission. Ah, perhaps they are simply not used to seeing someone dressed the way I am! Hmm.)

megane fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 26, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

...I had expected that a princess of the Realm might be somewhat eccentric, but this is certainly not what I had anticipated. From the moment she entered the room, she has been giving me the strangest look; what could it mean? Does she somehow harbor some secret grudge against me? I can't imagine that I've done anything to offend her, but it's certainly possible. Her attention is unsettling, to say the least.

Thankfully, I have an excuse not to hold eye contact with Her Highness. I kneel, as is appropriate: "I am here to speak on behalf of the Order Resplendent, who have granted me the name 'Sudden Clarity.' May the gods watch you, your Highness, and illuminate for you the steps of the Eightfold Path." Perhaps it would be polite to speak for some time of frivolous things, as nobles do amongst themselves, but I've not the tongue for it. "My lady... forgive me, my lady. I am sure that you have not failed to notice the... crisis that looms before us. Our seclusion affords us but a clouded, distant view of happenings beyond our valley, but even we have heard of the heresy that crawls beneath our feet, and the rebellion that stirs in every corner. I- the Order has decided that we must lend what little strength we have to protect Sevvran in this dark hour."

I raise my eyes, hoping that she might see the conviction behind them. "But we can do nothing on our own. We may provide counsel, perhaps even wise counsel from time to time, but what is needed most keenly is spears, and men to wield them, and of these I am beggared. We must have your strength, your support, my lady! You must raise your armies, call forth the people of the Spearhills who are your vassals, let them stand in defense of the Realm." As opposed to using them to seize the throne, that is -- but about this I manage to hold my tongue.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

It is always difficult for me to appear as deferential as is proper. Being told to stand up is actually rather unfortunate, as it means I have to way to hide the piercing, suspicious stare I am sure is painted across my face. "Rumors. Yes. The King is far away, and the Wolf is... well, a wolf. I am sure the empty throne has drawn many eyes." I let the unspoken question hang in the air for a moment. Deferential is one thing, but suicidal I am not.

"Of course, those rumors do exist, and I can see how... some... might believe them. If you are to raise your troops, you must stay far away from Ark, at least for now." I crick my neck; that always seems to make people nervous. "For appearances' sake, of course. I have only the whispers that filter into our temples to go by, but I gather that darkness creeps into many of the outlying territories, and floods in to fill the void left by your brother's glorious passage. Perhaps the benighted souls of the Vale would benefit from your..."

The door opens, revealing the Wolf and... someone I do not recognize. An elf. My fingers gently remind me of how close my sword is, how long it would take to draw it. Careful. Be patient, do not act recklessly. I'm trying, elder, but it is difficult.

"L. Lady de Wulfe." I bow stiffly, even more unsure of how I ought to present myself than I was before. "The Order Resplendent sends its regards. May the gods watch over you, and over all of Sevvran."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

I glare sullenly at the elf who calls herself Anathema. What a vile legend to cloak oneself in! Does she presume that putting on such a name gives her the right to advise royalty? "The people of Ark do deserve our pity and our help, my lady," I say, trying not to grit my teeth, "but we need not fear for them; they are protected by the strength of their faith. The gods watch over all of us." Even you, elf. While some elves have been brought under the gaze of Vallen, something tells me this Anathema is not among them. Still, the grace of the gods aside, 'the difference between a loyal dog and a raging wolf is a day without meat'; crime and unrest will surely be close on the heels of famine in the city.

I touch my forehead in a gesture of blessing towards the Princess and Regent. "I beg your forgiveness, Highness, Regent. I have little skill with words. Please think on my... suggestion, Princess." I hold her gaze for a moment. "In the meantime, perhaps my sword may prove sharper than my tongue. Please grant me leave to perform some service to the Realm while you..." waste time in pointless equivocation "discuss the matter."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

Hrm. "Very well. May the gods watch over you, Regent." Without another word, I stride away; a servant scurries to open the gilt-inlaid door for me, but I beat him there and shove my way out into the sunlight myself. Bandits? Does she know who I am? ...well, no, she probably doesn't. Nor do I, for my part, know anything about this Crimson Canyon, or the bandits that inhabit it. Perhaps they are deserving of the gods' wrath, and perhaps not. Either way, the Wolf's lack of hesitation is refreshing after listening to the elders! So I shall not hesitate either. I shall leave as soon as possible, and may the gods grant me the strength to visit these benighted souls with mercy or vengeance, as is their wont.

Going to the Crimson Canyon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

It does not take long for my determination to fray into irritation. Crimson Canyon is barely a ditch, the people here are sullen and unhelpful, and there is no sign of these supposed brigands. Has the wolf sent me here on a fool's errand? How dare she! Or are the bandits one step ahead of me? Cowards! I kick a chunk of stone off the edge and glare at it as it tumbles down the scree, into the so-called canyon. It's not even really crimson, it's just sort of brownish! Pfeh. Either way, I am hardly going to slink back to the capital with clean hands and a tale of staring at rocks for a week. I need guidance.

Laying my sword on the ground, I fold my legs beneath me and perch at the edge of the embankment. First, I must needs drive these... distractions from my mind. Stillness has never come easily to me. Quiet Insight's wisdom is great, but even he could not carve a calm, meditative woman out of such flawed stone as I. 'A fortress built in haste will fall just as quickly.' Nevertheless, I must try.

I am told that, in seeking communion with the skies, others focus on joyful, timeless thoughts: animals, music, rivers and forests. When I look to the ragged cirrocumulus that hangs over the canyon, I see war. The wispy lines of an army sweeping across the land, not in the thick of battle, but maneuvering, seeking the flank, trying to catch its enemy at a disadvantage in the ensuing storm. Its enemy also being a cloud, in this metaphor. Mm. My mentor said that the torn quilt represents... represents change, hesitation, treachery. Things which are not as they seem. There is no rain in the Crimson Canyon, but the crystalline sky holds turmoil nonetheless. The clouds whisper of... of... ah, if only I could hear their voices!

(10:50:42 AM) Krysmbot: megane, 7+2 = 9 for reading the clouds.

• Locked thread