Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

quote:

Psionic Gift[+4] Long said to be the gift of a great spirit, the royal line of Hissin has carried in its blood the great mental power. It didn't save his father, but there was never a need to train it for any kind of fighting. Kurt on the other hand has sought to master it to its full potential. He can speak mind to mind with distant people, coordinating his agents and forces. The loyalty of his men has been assured, for no disloyal thoughts could escape his probing. When patrols would near his hiding place they were turned aside, their minds clouded or controlled. And the few times strong individuals of power had found their way to him, he destroyed them with bolts of pure mental energy.

King in Hiding[+4] Born the heir apparent, Kurt was trained in the manners of statecraft, war, and fighting. As the only surviving member of the royal family, the people of Hissin regard him as their rightful king and ruler. Kurt has spent his time since his kingdom was conquered guiding and growing his forces in secret. A network of guerilla fighters, alchemists, and spies are spread throughout his old kingdom, waiting to aid him in his fight.

Vengance[-2] Another kingdom sacked. Another new area to govern for Sevvan. But for Kurt it was his kingdom, his people and it will be his vengance! For years he has grown his powerbase, building up his network of guerilla fighters, securing funds in various accounts in Sevvan, minor raids on supply trains and isolated patrols. But recent events in Sevvan has shown him that the large empire it had become is riddled with cracks, starting to break. Opportunity has arrived, after all this time. He knows that any major activity on his part will bring reprisal. But whats one more flame among so many? Sevvan cannot fight them all.

Kurt stands before the map in his study room, hands clasped behind his back. The large canvas shows Hissin in great detail, marking many of its features. Below it is a copy, just as large, spread on a table carved from the mountain stone and littered with small figurines representing his various forces and that of Sevvan.. As his eyes close, Kurt concentrates and reaches out to the mind of an agent by the Sevvan-Hissin border. Its the usual time to check in and the agent is there. A brief thought and the man is sent back on his way, report delivered. With a sigh Kurt opens his eyes and moves a safehouse off the map. Thats the second one this month. He briefly considers there to be a mole, but the safehouses hit are too spread out to have been the work one of person. More likely its just that damm captain of the guard, stepping up his efforts to find Kurt. As he clenches his hands in anger a brief flame covers them, until Kurt notices and relaxes them.

There's a knock on the door, before they open admitting Knight Barlas into the room. He was a member of the old Royal Guardsmen and has protected him during the retreat from the burning capital. Now he serves as Kurts captain, leading his forces. The problem is the man is the only real experienced soldier he has left. The few others who survived the invasion are spread thinly among his forces.

"Barlas. What news?" asks Kurt. In answer Barlas takes a scroll from his pouch and hands it to his king. "Not the best I'm afraid. You'll see for yourself there. The new governor is gaining popularity. Our network of hidden passages are being found out faster than we can make them. That last raid was successful, but I'm afraid this is all a result of the security increase from it." replies Barlas. Kurt nods, listening as he reads of rest of it. The Windspeaker, moral declining among the untrained, and rumors of magical artifacts being unearthed to the north...as usual twenty different things to do and only so many he can attempt to. "What would you advise Barlas?"

The knight shrugs. "Its the usual. We're fighting an upstream battle. Strike where we can and do what we must to strengthen our cause." Kurt begins walking, Barlas following behind. They come to the small throne room where Kurt takes his seat. The stone hallways are lit by striking rays from windows cut into the stone. In the throne room itself large lanterns and candles light its barren hall. A large Hissin banner is stretched on the wall behind the intricately carved wooden throne. As Kurt closes his eyes he concentrates once more, reaching out to speak to his main agent. Bartholos Alce, was once an alchemist in old Hissin. When Sevvan invaded the country the Alchemists Guild was one of the many casualties, destroyed in a catastrophic explosion as somebody lit up its stores. Most of the alchemists went underground or were 'hired' by Sevvan to serve it. In the months that followed Kurt managed to find Bartholos, who eagerly agreed to help in the rebellion. In fact the man had already started up his own network of agents to hinder the occupying forces. Now he serves as Kurt's main agent, or spymaster you might say. Bartholos, we've lost another safehouse. I'd hate to think we have moles among our people but that might be the case. Find out if anyones been spending extra cash, and see about setting up new safehouses. We must keep our forces safe. And see if anyone has seen the Windspeaker is the message Kurt sends him. There's a mental equivalent of a nod in the mans head, and Kurt opens his eyes. "Barlas. Send orders to halt any attacks for now. We must lay low for awhile and strengthen our position. I'll be sending you out for a bit. See if you can find somone who can help train our forces. I know they are with us and would die for the cause, but they still remain woefully unprepared for battle."

Barlas nods. "I shall seek out someone of suitable martial status for the cause. How much should I offer them?"

"See what they'll take. We have plenty of precious gems here and gold. Just not much to spend them on." replies Kurt. The knight bows, before taking his leave. After the man has left, Kurt speaks out loud. "The Paramount Dominion huh? Well I'll see if these rumors hold any truth..."

Sending Barlas to find a trainer for my forces and have Kurt's forces cease their attacks for now in wake of the increased security and cracking down. Bartholos meanwhile will be checking to see how they've been finding our safehouses, and setting up new ones. Kurt himself, while he wishes to kill the captain of the guard has decided to let it wait. He'll soon have the man dead, but for now these rumors of magical artifacts have caught his attention. If they are true and he can secure some of these for himself, they will be a powerful tool in his rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Now what is this? Kurt's efforts at finding out the sources of the rumors of magic artifacts to the north had born some fruit. The look on the Sevvan merchant's face when he returns to the capitol without the orb he had been entrusted with is something he'd love to see if he wasn't so busy here. So far though, it had eluded his understanding. It seems to be some sort of reservoir of energy, be it magic or his own, but any further function either doesn't exist or is hampered by its damage. Any energy he imbues it with dissipates, at a proportionate rate to the amount he puts into it. He sets it aside, and focuses on listening to the reports of his retainers.

First, he reaches out mentally and hears the report of Bartholos. Regrettably, there were indeed moles. Some of our countrymen took Sevvan gold to betray their fellows. Worry not, they've been dealt with. On the bright side, I was able to identify their handlers and with some men seize their gold stashes. Now those funds will be helping us sends Bartholos. Who was behind this latest scheme? replies Kurt. To the best of my info, it looks like Vlasan, the captain of the guard, was behind it. Isn't it about time we did something about him?. Kurt gives a mental sigh. Start the preparations for that prison raid you were telling me about. I still need to hear Barlas's report before I decide on our next move, but that damm captain is at the top of my list.

Its only a couple hours later that Barlas shows up in his battered state. Kurt sets aside the orb, which he had been pondering again, and starts tapping his fingers as he listens to Barlas's report. The tapping of his fingers on the wooden throne stops as Kurt hears the loud boom and sighs. "It would appear you did not. Still, its the first nor will it be the last time someone's found us. The important thing is you're safe. Now gather up the men and lets greet our guests. They should at most have breached the first gate. If they've gotten here this swiftly after your arrival they won't of even had time to report back yet." The orbs deeper mysteries will have to wait but for now he's already thought of one way he might harness it...

The Vale Fortress posted:

Early in the founding of Hissin a great fortress was either found or built (the royal records are unclear on this). Whatever the case, it became the last fallback of the king. Hidden up in the mountains only three days hard ride from the capital, its almost impossible to find. The rocks of the sheer cliff at the entrance form a natural illusion, hiding the entrance until you're nearly upon it. A narrow passage, just large enough for a cart but not a wagon follows a winding path for some time until a small clearing. Two paths here lead to dead ends but another straight path leads up higher into a gatehouse. It sports a large wooden gate and two half towers. Once through, you can see there are no fortifications to defend from any attacks from the other side. Here yet another sort of large clearing at the base of a rise. As you go up it there is a large rupture in the mountain floor, revealing a rushing river at the bottom of a drop. On the other side, more mountains. Except...for the drawbridge and fortifications on the lowest part of them. Here lies the Vale Fortress, built into this small pass here. On the other side lies its namesake vale, about the size of a large city and filled with grass, trees, and some caves. A small towns worth of buildings, currently vacant, are built into the sides of the vale.

A crude Paint map i did. It would take a marching soldier a third of a day to reach the fortress. Each side passes take only about an hour before revealing dead ends.

The eastern battlement of the Vale Fortress gatehouse.

As the clinking of metal and pounding feet greet his ears Kurt makes his way through the eastern battlement to the top of the gatehouse. He only has around 100 troops here, plus some servants, but all are willing to fight to the death for his cause. The fortifications negate any number advantage an enemy could bring to bear and the location would make assembling siege weapons a strenuous task at best, with any supplies needing nearly a third of a day to get here by cart. Furthermore the size of the clearing and its steep grade prohibits anything larger/heavier than a catapult.

He reaches out with his mind to his agents in the nearby town. It hosts only a small force of around 20 rangers, but they're the cream of his guerilla fighters and placed there for just such an occasion as this. When Kurt has finished up here, should any messengers be sent or soldiers escape, they'll find only arrows waiting among the trees for them. As the men finish assembling in the courtyard and archers take their place on the gatehouse, Kurt reaches out mentally to the sentries on the passage gatehouse. Report. Whos that at the gate?

While Kurt deals with these unwelcome guests, he had instructed Bartholos to start laying groundwork for a raid on the prison to kill that damm captain, using King in Hiding[+4]. Using bribes to get info, having his men infiltrate as workers, etc.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 22, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt watches from up high as the attackers spill out into the fortress below. His men are well armed, in heavy armor and trained to act as as one under his mental commands. While these bounty hunters look to be a bunch of like minded individuals all out for themselves. They came seeking gold and fame, but they'll only find death. Lure them in farther. Fall back and wait for my command before pressing the attack. None must leave here alive.. The sound of clashing metal breaks the peaceful silence of the Vale Fortress. Once the attackers had overextended themselves he struck in a two pronged attack. Focusing his will on the mental aether, a powerful cloud of confusion wrapped itself around the bounty hunters, dulling their minds and attacks. Then, he mentally linked with his men. In unison, trusting the will and commands of their king, they struck their blows as he nudged and guided them. What one man saw the next was aware of and could react to, striking down this attacker before he could lay one of the defenders down from behind, or parry a blow in seemless conjunction with his fellows attack. The effort is taxing, and Kurt can only maintain it for a short period before having to withdraw his mental abilities from the fight. Still the effects were devastating, with the majority of the attackers dead already and what few left routing. They'll find nothing on their way back but death as they leave the rocky passages back into the open, where the rangers await to pepper them with arrows before finishing off any survivors with quick bladework. The bodies in the fortress are taken to the clearing across the river and buried...where all the others who've found him ended up as well. Most encouraging for Kurt is that his mental stamina seems to have improved. Last time he attempted such an endeavour he couldn't sustain it half as long. Well done men. We'll break out the brandy tonight.

As his men go about the business of cleaning up, he takes the time to check in with Barthalos. Hmm well good news, bad news there. Kurt is about to reply when he gets his second unexpected guest of the day, the Windspeaker! And shes interested in his new orb too it would seem. Kurt raises an eyebrow at her as he speaks. "Ah the Windspeaker. I suppose this saves me the time trying to find you. We've just finished dealing with our other..unexpected guests, but would you care to stay for dinner? I feel we might have much to talk about". At the same time he reaches to pull back the orb with his own gift.

While hes attempting banter with the lady hes relaying a series of commands to Barthalos. These new battalions need to go. At the same time that will only increase scrutiny and make our efforts here harder. Now since they're coming from Sevvan proper, given the distance supplies will be a problem. So they'll have to stop at that supply depot on our western border. See what can be done about poisoning the supplies there. sends Kurt. And the guard captain? replies Barthalos.

A moment of thought, then Enact the plan. Have him killed and the prisoners freed. We can't keep them in the major cities so send them out to some of the villages we control. Then lay low for awhile. The governor will be the next to die, but I'd like to consolidate our forces a bit more first. Also see what news your agent in Sevvan can send. I need to know who else is stirring the pot, who I might ally myself with.

Using Psionic Gift[+4] to befuddle and confuse the attackers, while helping use King in Hiding[+4] to guide his soldiers to victory against these foolish bounty hunters.
Fortress Defense: 2d6+8 16
Having Barthalos send men to poison the incoming battalions supplies. King in Hiding[+4]
Poison Supplies: 2d6+4 15
Lastly, the time has come for the captain of the guard to die and free Kurts subjects. King in Hiding[+4] However I think Vengance[-2] applies here in which case it would be 12, not 14
Death to the captain: 2d6+4 14

Quornes fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 26, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

In the midst of giving out his orders, Kurt receives word from one village that the Prophet had been there. Another potential pawn(player?) in the game. Send her my way. He gives the guard captain there knowledge of his location, then takes it away after he relays it to the Prophet. Another quick communication has one of the rangers from before on his way to meet and guide her.

Thats the only good news he receives as the Windspeaker speaks. The attempt on the supply depot failed, many of his men falling in the attempt. Their news is the Bear is here. A complication he didn't need right now. Kurts not sure why one of Sevvans top commanders had decided to come but it means his job is that much harder. He will have to take care, and see what he can do to divert the man elsewhere. And...Barthalos? Barthalos?

Kurt takes a seat as he steeples his fingers and closes his eyes. The Windspeakers words bite, but she doesn't know. Can't know. The pain the Kings of Hissin feel. Kurt opens his eyes and looks at her. "Have you ever felt death, Windspeaker? Looked through someones eyes, see the blade descending on their neck, feel their lifeblood drain from them, their fears, the numbing and the fading? The way my father felt as he spoke to me even as he died? You ask me if this rebellion is about my people or myself. Its both. There is no water to quench the flames of my rage. And there is no where in this world I could go, no rock I could hide under that my gift would let me block out the sound of my people and their suffering. The young man, forced to sign up as a Sevvan auxiliary to send a pittance home for his family as hes used as a human shield. The parents who go hungry so their child can eat. The woman whoring herself out to Sevvan soldiers for coin. All the abuse my people suffer. They call out and I hear them. My power may be dangerous but I will use it until it kills me or my people are free."

Flames spring to life in his eyes briefly before he closes them. "And what of yourself? What guides you, Windspeaker? And how far are you willing to go? Because I will let nothing stop me from accomplishing my goals."

Barlas, I need you up here. I'm about to do something foolish and will need aid.

Kurt feels tired. Quit tired. But Barthalos needs help...and Kurt needs to finish the job. Psionic energy flickers as Kurt readies himself for one last effort for the day.

Reaching out to the capital. Guiding and coordinating some of his fighters there to aid Barthalos and finish the job at the prison. As he does so Kurt spreads a madness amongst the Sevvan forces his fighters encounter. Using Psionic Gift[+4] and King in Hiding[+4] for +8, and the BP for +2.

Death and Confusion in the Capital: 2d6+8+2 14

Quornes fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Wearily Kurt regards the newcomer. The Prophet had arrived, and the inquisition is sure to follow. Yet another complication but hopefully its something he can turn to his advantage. As the Windspeaker whispers to her, Kurt's attention focus elsewhere. The battle in the capital has gone badly. The Bear must of marched night and day to make it, but hes there now and any chance of freeing the prisoners has gone up in smoke. The captain is wounded...but he values Barthalos's life more. Mentally he rearranges his forces, preps safehouses, and further distractions.

Barthalos, pull out. With the Bear there, we don't have a chance to rescue the prisoners. We're cutting our loses and making for safety. Kurt sends. You know what hes done! He's right in front of me! Just a little more and I'll have him! comes Barthalos's angry response. You're far more precious. I will not spend any more lives on this. The way out is being prepared. Go to ground, not a peep. The Bear is likely to start pawing for you after this, give him nothing. Kurts answer has the tone of finality, and there is no further objection.

As the ladies finish their talking, Kurt stands up. There is the muted metal clinking of his armor as he steps forward and speaks, "Welcome Samarah...or do you prefer Prophet? This day seems to be devoted to unexpected guests, in all their forms. I can guess fairly well why you're here. Would you care to join us for dinner? Or would you prefer to speak now?"

Using King in Hiding[+4] to set up a retreat for my fighters. Other people are setting a couple fires nearby, moving carts loaded with hay into place to be set on fire as well to block pursuit, innocent looking crowds to block LoS, etc. Meanwhile those safehouses are ready to take fighters in, disguise them, make them safe.

Tactical Retreat: 2d6+4 15

And basically asking if Samarah wanted to talk over dinner or here.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt quirks an eyebrow as Samarah raises her hand. Barlas starts to lay his hand on his sword but a quick thought tells the man to relax. Reluctantly, the knight stops his motion and returns to a resting position. When the Prophets hand touches his brow he is unsure what...what he feels...warmth? Light? The feeling withdraws as quickly as it arrives leaving....nothing. The pain is gone from his head. He gives her a quick smile, before returning to business...though she is lovely. As she withdraws Kurt stands up, pocketing the sphere Windspeaker had changed. He'll inspect it later this night after his guests had left.

"Then ladies, let us retire for now to the dining hall."

As they make their way inside the rough and weathered exterior turns into a well maintained and clean interior. The dining hall itself is a large open hall, well lit and decorated. There is already a hustle and bustle as servants finish preparing the meal. Large stone tables, seemingly cut out of the mountain itself, line the hall along with wooden chairs. A more ornate one lies at the head of the hall, underneath a large banner proudly displaying the Hissin flag. Kurt will make his way to the head of the hall, guests in tow. As they sit down the main doors open and the troops come in to sit.

There is a moment of silence as cups are picked up by all and Kurt says, "To fallen comrades".

"To fallen comrades" comes the echoing reply. Then dinner begins. Its a hearty meal of traditional Hissin fair. Goat and lamb is the main meat of choice, with a wide variety of mountain herbs and spices. Mushrooms also feature heavily in side dishes in many creative ways.

Kurt eats only a bit before asking his guests, "So what does bring you to Hissin? Besides the food of course" he says with a smile.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt just nods along to Samarah's words until the lost sword is mentioned. Could it be the sword of the founder, lost since his death at the beginning of the Hissin kingdom? There is only one swamp in Hissin, by the mountain river on the eastern border but he has no idea why or how it would of ended up there. But the image on the scroll matches the one told in family legend. Her next words are...disconcerting. Himself, chosen by this god of hers, to aid a Sevvan princess in taking her brothers throne? Kurt doubts for moment that anything could ever entice him do so...until he remembers the betrayal Sevvan had inflicted upon his own kingdom. Samarah only said she saw him by Leona's side in her moment of triumph. Not what might happen afterwards to the weakened victor. Besides, Kurt doesn't believe in fate. Or the intervention of benevolent gods. Where were they when Sevvan put his kingdom to the torch?

No. His fate is his own to decide, whether it be folly and failure or victory. All Samarah will give him is the opportunity for an alliance with Leona. Which is something he does need, allies to aid him in his own fight. The Bear is already at his door, and the Inquisition is sure to follow through here looking for Samarah.

"You speak with great conviction Prophet, but I have only your word to go on. Still, I cannot deny the appeal of an alliance between myself and Leona. You've seen the state of my kingdom in your travels. How it was ravaged in the war and still suffers. I desire only its freedom. If your one True Queen can offer me this, I can hardly turn her down. But at the moment I am hard pressed to do more than strike from the shadows in my own home."

Kurt looks at both the Windspeaker and Samarah. "The Inquisition is sure to follow your steps here and inflict their grubby paws on my people as they search for you. And even as we speak, The Bear is in my capital fighting. He alone will tie up my hands. If Leona can get him to leave, then we may talk further about an alliance. Until he has been dealt with I can not offer her any support."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

A scrying orb? If he could get such a thing to work with his powers, he might extend his range beyond the borders of Hissin. Coordinate spies and saboteurs in outside territories taken by Sevvan. Maybe even reach into the capital itself. Though this luminous oil is not something he's heard of before. Barthalos still needs time to recover from the stab wound he received in the fighting, but the man is sure to know about this oil given his alchemical training.

"You're here to observe...for whom?"

Meanwhile in a village of Hissin, near the nefarious swamp, an expedition begins. The local cell, mostly inactive besides gathering local supplies and training, has just received new orders...

Sending forth a party to seek out the swamp and the sword using King in Hiding[+4]. Of course, finding it is all well and said but Kurt still needs to get it to himself

Quest for the Sword: 2d6+4 14

Quornes fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 26, 2016

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

Kurt awakes with a start. Someone new is searching for him. It seems unwelcome guests are in high supply. As the magic tendrils stretch out through the astral, Kurt does the simplest thing possible to avoid its attention. He devoids himself of his sense of self. You can not find what is not there...

Its peaceful. No worries, no fear, no joy. Only being. And quiet contemplation. When the searching tendrils of magic have passed, with a slight reluctance Kurt returns to his self. There is much to do, he thinks as he readies for the day. Breakfast is brought for him as he sits in his study, contemplating the scrying orb and listening to mental reports by his agents.

Using his Psionic Gift [+4] Kurt hides himself by not being Kurt. No one is Kurt. You can not find the King in Hiding if there is no King in Hiding.
Hide oneself: 2d6+4 13

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

The reports coming in are fairly normal. Nothing yet from the Inquisition, so maybe Samarah had not led them this way. Time will tell. In the capital the distractions threw up enough of a smoke screen to hide his men's trail. Barthalos still lies wounded, but should pull through in time. This does leave a hole in his chain of command, so for now he has another of Barthalo's agents step up. It might even grow to be a permanent post, if his plans to expand his influence outward succeed. But that will have to wait until the orb is fixed. The Windspeaker had spoken of luminous oil and while it was not something he knew of, surely one of Hissin's alchemists know of it.

Barthalos Hiding: 2d6+2 9
Barlas Hiding: 2d6+2 8
Barlas is drilling with soldiers in the field behind the Keep. Kurt hasn't send him back out yet.

King in Hiding [+4] to continue the hunt for the sword
Quest for the Sword: 2d6+4 7
Not so good...last roll was a 14, hopefully they even out.

King in Hiding [+4] to see if any alchemists know of it.
Luminous Oil?: 2d6+4 14

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

The sword will have to wait. While he certainly has the manpower to break through the cordon of beasts, it would be sure to alert and draw the Bears attention. Better a smaller party. It has been a bit since Kurt ventured out of these walls...its time the people saw their King once more. Kurt strides out of his study, the orb in his pocket and makes his way into the courtyard. The men are doing a simple drill, led by Barlas.

"Barlas. We are heading out. Nestor will remain in charge here." Barlas stops midstroke, then lets down his practice sword. "Where to, my lord?"

"To the great swamp. I hope to find myself another weapon in our fight."

Other orders are sent out. Down at the nearby village the rangers make ready to join the expedition. The expedition already in the swamp, much to their relief, is given orders to return back to the local village where treatment is waiting.

Kurt will be heading out with Barlas and his small troop of rangers. Using King in Hiding[+4]
We ride!: 2d6+4 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Kurt Hissin

The ride through the countryside was uneventful. With Barlas at his side and the expertise of his rangers, Kurt's party made it safely to the swamp unseen by the Bear's men. During the travel reports from his agents come in regarding the Bears efforts to sway the populace, and improve the ruined countryside. Hah! Let the man waste Sevvan gold fixing what they destroyed. The people would never come to favor the Sevvan rule, not with what they had done or still do. The thought of his failures so far on the prison cloud his mood and cast a dark look on Kurt's face as they reach the village by the swamp.

"Everything alright sir?" asks Barlas

"Just ill thoughts. Come, I wish to check on the expeditions recovery personally," Kurt replies as he dismounts. He makes his way to one of the center houses, the villagers murmuring as he passes by. Some may of heard him or spoken with him by mind, but never seen him before. As he goes to open the door one of the men on guards does it for him, saying "My king." The lighting inside is poor, but the beds are visible. The patients try to rise as he enters, but he motions them down. He makes his way through, talking to each in turn. A kind word here, encouragement and praise there. These men had suffered, but he was here. Their King, still in hiding but there for them now. "You've done well. Hissin is one step closer to freedom for your efforts". Turning, Kurt heads back out to the party as men give him a small cheer. Its good to see his people in person. Staying cooped up in the Vale Fortress for too long makes him forget the little things you can't see from the astral perspective.

Barlas is waiting with his lord's mount. As Kurt hops on the captain says, "How were they?" Kurt responds, "As well as can be. We will fare far better, with you here at my side."

Onward, into the swamp they went. When they came upon the outer area of the swords influence the same monsters were present, but no match for Kurt. Debilitating waves of pain made them easy pickings for the rangers. As they grew closer the only monster to resist enough, a dark chimera of alligator and wolf, found its attack dashed by Barlas's sword. As they grew closer, Kurt himself could feel the swords presence. It was startling for it felt like only one thing he'd ever felt before, the psionic gift of his own father. But not the same. Different, somehow in a way he could not define. He thought, for a moment that it had the faintest whisper, before the dragon rose and announced itself with a roar! As the sword's energy seemed to have attracted the monsters from before, so it seemed to have called this mighty creature here. Kurt readied himself, reaching deep into his gift and feeling the icy plunge into its depths, power invigorating him. But there was also the thought, the feel, the perception, that this dragon had a mind. And could he not speak to it as well as fight? It almost seemed like a whisper, a past memory of a lesson from his father. "War is weapon of last resort for a true ruler. Only to be used when words have failed..."

I, Kurt Hissin, have come to reclaim this relic of my forebearers. Who are you, that dwells before me?

Attempting to talk with this dragon. Using King in Hiding[+4], for a king must know diplomacy and the art of speaking to truly lead.
Peaceful Talk: 2d6+4 12

Quornes fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread