Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Please.

Sex isn't the only thing I think about. And de Wulfe might be old, but she's certainly no hag, still as beautiful as ever, mmm. Anyway! No, I have more important things to do than to spy on our loyal, if unsuited Regent, or taking one of the maids for a tumble (for now at least). Duty calls, and so do I. For a maid, who is sent out with orders, and before long a meal is prepared, and my two guests arrive. Sinelle and Lady Asmanda, two courtiers long at my side, one the daughter of no one of importance, the other the daughter of a minor local house. Both minor members of court, but women of intelligence and resource.

"My good ladys, I'm pleased you were free to join me for our lunchtime meal." I gesture at the table, laid with an elegant, though not extravagant spread, the centerpiece a bowl overflowing with fruit and berries coated in crystallized honey, soaking in a rich cream. The meal progresses pleasantly, full of idle conversation, but at near end I let out a small, sad sigh. "Our good friend Petra is still nowhere to be seen, I know the two of you know how dear she is to me... Perhaps others in the court might have had word, if the two of you could hear anything of her whereabouts it would be a weight off my shoulders if you brought news to me." The conversation moves on eventually, and the meal comes to a close, and the two women head off back into the castle. I'm sure they'll bring any news that is to be found to me.

After finishing the last of the fruit, I dab gently at my lips with a damp cloth and send my maid to bring in a page, and then clear up the remains of the meal. The page is sent to fetch my arms and armor. Once he returns and helps buckle the armor on, I have him leave off the breastplate enameled with the symbol of House Sevvran, modified somewhat to show my bastardy, instead going for a simple chain mail hauberk, making it far less obvious who is under this armor, and then I head out into the streets, aiming for the walls of Ark's Landing. The Old Bear and The Wolf are making inspections, it wouldn't do for the only one of Blood Royal at court to be seen doing less, and having the bastard Princess seen on the walls, talking with the men serving there will do wonders for morale. As an added benefit, it'll remind them subtly that they're guarding her, and not their King. In the event the King falls, it'll make them that much more likely to support her claim than any would be usurpers. And the same would be true even if the King doesn't fall...

Arriving at one of the barracks along the wall, I find some of the men there are in the yard training, so without making it known who I am, I head in, working at the dummies along side them until the time comes for sparring. I take up place alongside one of the men there, and we have a good, if rather quick bout -rather typical of a man really- and I've moved on to the next. It doesn't take long before a small crowd of the guards have gathered, wagering on the fight between me and the local captain. He puts up a better fight, but gets disarmed in the end without a deal of difficulty. Removing his helmet to wipe his sweating brow, he asks for the name of the knight who bested him.

"For my valiant partner at arms, of course. I am..." And with an extravagant gesture and a smile, I sweep my own helm off my head, letting my long golden hair flow free into the air, creating a rather remarkable effect if I do say so myself -and judging from the looks on many of the faces there, I'm not wrong. "the Princess Leona. Come Captain, walk with me." I gesture towards the wall, and together we make our way up. "I like to visit the men to make sure you're being properly supplied, see that morale is high, that manner of thing. Is there anything I can do to help keep the brave men who protect us night and day in good order?" Working our way along the wall, we discuss matters for awhile, then he heads back to his barrack, and I continue along, stopping to exchange pleasantries and gossip with the other guards I pass.

Sending some followers to search for word of Petra, while I working to build support among the serving troops in Arks Landing, reminding them of who they're protecting Blood of Kings [+4] and grabbing their attention with my skill and beauty Warrior of Renown [+2], Courtly Beauty [+2], for a +8.

Leona Sevvran posted:

Leona Sevvran, Bastard Daughter of Leopold III

Qualities
Blood of Kings [+4] - Though the Value and Legitimacy of Lenoa's claim varies wildly from person to person, depending on if they genuinely support her, seek to use her for their own ends, see her as an obstacle in the way of their own royal ambitions, a thorn in the true King's side, or an irrelevancy, no one denies that she has her fathers blood. Her mother is a mystery, rumors speak of a second wife taken in secret after the first's death, the child whose birth ended the life of the first wife, a favorite concubine of the King, the child of a tavern wench, a daughter conceived from a conquered barbarian chieftainess as a token of her surrender, or more recently the daughter of Lady de Wulfe, the tales go on and on.

Whoever the mother, Leona has the voice, attitude and bearing of true Royalty, and perhaps most importantly, the same presence, granting regal weight to her words and actions. From the blood running through her veins, her upbringing, or something else entirely, she exudes the impression of royalty, inspiring her friends and intimidating her enemies.

Courtly Beauty [+2] - Brought to court as a young girl by the King, Leona was trained in all the courtly arts befitting a woman, dance and dress and speech, courtly smiles and the subtle chaste seductions of a lady. Intended as window dressing for his court, a pretty face to be watched, admired and yearned for, a trophy kept just out of reach, she grew beyond the role as her body flowered into one of the stunning beauty of the court.

Warrior of Renown [+2] - While the King was alive, Leona's sights were never set towards the succession, her ambitions lead her to make a name for herself aside from her Fathers, or her role as a trophy in the court, and once in her teens, she took up the sword, using her father's doting behavior to secure instruction in the art of the blade from the courts Master at Arms. Though never allowed by her father to take a command, or even to serve in any of his true battles, she was allowed tournaments and duels, where she distinguished herself often, once even winning a champion's laurels, though in that tournament the Silent Knight did not participate.

Hedonist [-2] - The various pleasures of the flesh are Leona's main, and all too frequent vice. As the public, and especially the church, frown upon over indulgence, she does her best to keep her behavior private, and due to the potential political ramifications of some of her more scintillating exploits, she lavishes most of her favors upon other courtly women, an action that is even more frowned upon by the Vallensin Faith.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Well, the barracks could have been worse and they could have been better, but frankly I had much higher expectations of our principal defenses in the capital. What has the old Bear been doing? When I take my leave of the walls, I promise to do what I can for their situation, and head back to court. Even with the shameful state of the sleeping quarters, my success with the guards has me feeling quite pleased, perhaps I should indulge myself with the maid tonight... But that's for later.

Its too early to expect news back from my ladys about Petra, so I suppose I might as well put my time to good use until then. I'll approach the chief officals in charge of money and guards later, but The Bear, and the old Tariff Master and de Wulfe can wait a bit. They might have the final say, but their underlings are just as important to the process of getting funds shifted around. For now, I send out invitations to three of Amerigo's chief aids for a private dinner with me. Private here meaning, the three of them, me, and several of my servants, obviously. Not the other kind of private meals.

Just before they're due to arrive, word reaches me of the arrival of a woman monk of the Order Resplendent in the city, preaching. Taking the last moments before my guests are here, I write out a note to her, whoever she is, and send it off with a courier.

A Scroll, sealed with Leona's seal posted:

To the Monk of the Order Resplendent,
I regret not being able to address this letter properly, having just heard of your arrival, but not your name or rank within the Order. I've long wanted to meet a member of your order in person, and would be delighted if you could find the time to share an evening meal with me upon the morrow in the palace.

Yours Sincerely,
The Princess Leona Sevvran

Then I finish my preparations for the guests, who arrive promptly on time. My servants usher them into the dinning room, where I have a lavish meal spread on the table. The discussion passes amiably, I've seen and talked with all three of these man for years at court, though none have ever shared my special favor. In any case, the meal is accompanied with small talk for most of the duration, but near the end, before anyone has drunk too much of the fine wines I've provided, I bring up the issue of our guards. "Gentlemen, today I went for a small tour of the walls, looking into our defenses. Though the men stationed there are brave, they're lacking some of the funding they need to keep things running smoothly. The several of the barracks seemed near collapse, and their stores of food were unfortunately low."

I sigh, and take a small sip of wine. "I understand that the treasury has its limits, but these men are our first, and nearly only, line of defense from attack. If any of these rebellions were to gain strength and move on the capital, we need our defenses to be in prime condition if we're to last until reinforcements could arrive. Anything the three of you could do to help aid our guards would be a weight off my shoulders and I'm sure my royal brother would be most relieved to know his sister and loyal men such as yourself were well protected." After receiving their replies, positive, negative or neutral, I let the conversation shift back to more pleasant subjects for the night. I'll discuss this further with Amerigo perhaps, but first lets see if my words had any effect.

Using Courtly Beauty [+2] (court manners) and Blood of Kings [+4] (charisma + wanting royal gratitude) for +6 to convince them to try and fund the guards better

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Donations are a good start, but I hope they're remembering the important part is making sure the guards stay funded so they can keep protecting us. Still, it's a job well done! Satisfied with my work, I don't worry too much about the report on Petra. It's just like her really, she was always running off to test her skill against this local hero or that new tourney champion when we were younger, though usually she'd tell me about her plans. I might send some riders after her on the morrow, but for now I'll let it stand.

I drift off to sleep that night snuggled between a pair of bed maids -a common practice among the ladies at court, though most of them aren't nearly as intimate with theirs as I am- only to awake suddenly a few hours later in a cold sweat. Shivering, despite the heat filling me, I push back the blankets and sit up, trying to hold the dreams in mind like water cupped between my hands. What did that mean? Or did it mean anything at all? Dreams are often prophetic in the tales, but life isn't a story, and the details are fading fast. Trapped to a throne in chains of fire... But I want the throne, how could I be trapped there?

Disturbed, I awakened one of my bedmates and lose myself in her, but even that isn't nearly enough to wipe the memories from me. When we both awaken the next morning, I'm still left with the sense of fear, the memory of fire, and the face of the beautiful woman floating in my mind. Smothering the dreams further with a rich breakfast, I head out into the yard to train, and ponder what to do with the day. I still need to hear back from the monk of the order.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'm in the middle of my morning training when a servant arrives with the message that the monk I requested was at the palace to see me. Not the best timing in the world, considering I'm armed and armored, and quite sweaty from the exercise, but it would be rude to keep her waiting the length of time it would take to make myself presentable, given that I requested her. But perhaps showing her that I train my body would do more to win the favor of one of the Order Resplendent than a show of beauty would.

Putting my helmet, sword and shield to the side, I leave them for a servant to put away, and head to meet her in the rest of my armor. The servants have just brought her to the small hall off my chambers when I arrive. Stepping into the room, my eyes widen slightly. Ahhh, such a beauty! Heavens, but I want her. Keeping my mind as much away from those subjects as I can, my smile is regal and delighted as I approach. "I hope you'll forgive my attire, not expecting you so soon, I was training in the yard when you arrived. I can be cleaned up and back shortly, or if you don't mind a slightly sweaty princess, we can forgo that." I bow my head in a sign of respect to from royalty to a monk, and offer her my hand, palm down, for her to kiss, a sign of respect from a monk to royalty. "As you know, I'm the Princess Leona Sevvran. And you are..?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

My eyes widen in surprise. "Sudden Clarity! But you're the First Sword! ou may rise, of course!" She could be lying, but her beauty matches the stories that have made it back to me. Stunning, just like they say, and so strong. My face falls a bit as she continues her plea though, asking for my troops. "First Sword, your desire and your loyalty do you credit, but... Even in the valley, no doubt you've heard rumors that I seek my brother's throne. They spread them of everyone at court, but, if I were to call my men to arms, even to put them in your service to go out and strike at one of his enemies, you can see how it would look, yes?"

But still, that action is tempting. Not just raising my men, but to lead them into battle alongside Sudden Clarity against one of our enemies, the high sorceress perhaps, and win a crushing victory. It'd make us all safer, and add to my own story. And such a victory under my belt would make it easier to take the throne if my brother was to fall in his conquests. "Who did you have in mind to fight? Perhaps if the King or his Regent were to give permission it could be done..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Listening to Sudden Clarity speak.... well, she might be right, a call to action could be the very thing the Realm, and I need. But do I dare? Regardless of how it looks, if anything were to happen to my brother, or any usurpers make an attempt while he was away, without being situated at the palace, any chance of my own to secure my claim would be lost. Or at least severally disadvantaged. But before I have a chance to answer, or even Sudden Clarity to finish speaking, we're interrupted by a servant, bringing de Wulfe and ....an elf with a petition?

Puzzled, and a bit irritated by this rude interuption, I turn to the two with a royal smile plastered on my face. The elf was not who I expected though, and she seemed both polite and beautiful, at least to me. To de Wulfe, she was much ruder. I give her a polite nod in greeting while I wait for her to speak. Anathema... The name sounds familiar, but I can't place it either. She's championing a noble cause, at least on the surface. Her motives are probably much murkier. "Lady Anathema," a courtesy given mainly due to her appearance and bearing, "I have a question I hope you might be able to answer if you've spent time with these people. My Brother's wars have been moving steadily outward from Ark's Landing, further into .... enemy land. If these people have fled the war when it was near their homes, why have they not returned now that it has moved away from there? Do they lack the means or supplies to return? Is there some other reason?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"I see." Her words are troubling. If we can't afford to feed these masses, it seems unlikely we could afford to supply them to return to their own lands. How did the kings of old handle this sort of matter? Tales speak of an empire spanning the entire world, lead by a cruel, but brilliant tyrant. They said he cried when he reached the sea, knowing there were no more lands to conquer. What would they have done, I wonder. "I think, Lady Anathema, this isn't a matter that can be settled here and now. Others in the court will need to be consulted to discuss how to solve this issue. But when you return to the people, please let them know I have heard of their plight, and will do what I can for them." As little as that is, given I'm little more than ornamental here at court.

Which is the same reason why the suggestion to take Anathema as an adviser startles me. It also makes me bristle slightly at the implications, though I don't show either reaction on my face as I turn to de Wulfe. "Not that I'm objecting to the suggestion, Lady Regent, but... what exactly are you- no, a conversation for later." I turn back to look at Anathema again though, with a more inspecting gaze. What a beauty... And she speaks for the people, they would be good to have on my side, and if she's wise like de Wulfe thinks, so would she.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

After giving my two departing guests appropriate farewells, I turn my gaze on to de Wulfe, frowning slightly. "An Adviser, what exactly do you intend for her to advise me on? You know as well as I that I have no official power here." I keep my tone level though, not letting any of the anger or irritation show through. I'm curious as to her reasons, and I haven't forgotten I need to discuss the possibility of moving against the rebels in Archea.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

As if I didn't know that. Her point about keeping the elf close is a good one though. "Very well. Don't let me keep you from your duty Lady Regent." I don't particularly have anything else to say to her right. Once she's left, and I'm alone again, now without the beautiful Sudden Clarity to brighten my day, I take some time to sulk. Eventually though, I stop. Not the best use of my day. I consider for a moment going to find Anathema and see how amenable she is to... relaxing... but no, they'll be time for that later as well.

Chasing maids though... She's not a maid, but there is one I need to chase. Petra. She was heading into Archea. And de Wulfe was right about one thing, even though I already knew. I might not have real command, but my name and blood is enough to make people listen anyway. Composing myself, I send for the commanders in charge of the remaining military forces left in the city. With the Old Bear out of the city, they should be much easier to steer. By the time they arrive, I've set up a small but luxurious meal for us, and explain my concerns over the meal, my worries about the increasing unrest and Petra's quest off into the land. "If a small force of men could be spared to find her, ensure her safety and bring her back to me, it would be quite a weight off my mind, and of course, you would have my deepest gratitude." The favor of a princess, even a bastard one, is not to be turned away lightly.

<godfist> get some men sent after Petra (Essence of a Queen)
<godfist> !r 2d6+6
<Krysmbot> godfist, 6+6 = 12

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

No sign of Petra means the plan goes through. She's captured, free or dead, and either way I want those men to find her. The enthusiasm of the commanders is a good sign as well, it means they'll be more likely to put more people towards it, and work harder. And they'll be more likely to support me in other things at a later time. Despite the poor news, things are overall going well for me today. Enough that I'm in a good enough mood to go a step further to indulge myself. I've been enjoying myself with various of my lady companions for the last long while, but sometimes a girl just wants a man in her bed, and tonight I'm will to take that risk. I'm always careful to take care of the ... side effects ... so that isn't a concern, but taking too many men into my bedchamber at night is asking for other sorts of trouble. The rumor kind. Still, it's been long enough that inviting the attractive, strong and youngest of the commanders -merely a few years my older- for an evening 'discussion' seems safe enough. After all, a Princess could have many things to discuss with such a handsome, muscled, man. Especially one distressed by the potential loss of her childhood friend, with one of the people sending troops to find her. Yes.

<godfish> essence of a queen, hedonist
<godfish> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7+4 = 11
using royal responsibilities/feeble womanness to cover for having a nice hot encounter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I'd been hoping for a full night of fun, but duty calls for all of us I suppose. And shortly after it calls for Gregor, it arrives for me as well, in the form of Anathema rudely barging into my bathing room. This action receives a questioningly raised eyebrow as I sink back into my warm bath, one of my maids scrubbing at my shoulders. "We do?" My eyebrow lowers to match the other in a slight frown, "Go and check with de Wulfe," I wave away the maid who was assisting me with my bath to go and confirm that she has indeed ordered this, and turn my attention back to Anathema. "I understood you were to be an adviser, not my task master... Nevertheless..." Relaxing my expression to one of a slight smile, I lean forward, letting the water cascade off my chest as I expose it to the air again, and moving to the side of my bath, I pour two glasses of wine from the waiting amphora. "If we're to be working together, I'd like to get to know you a bit better. Here, have a glass. Elvish wine, I believe. Tell me about yourself, you said your name was Anathema, where are you from? What are the elvish lands like? Sadly we get far too few visitors from those lands."

• Locked thread