Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
To some people, this is a day like any other. They just do they same things they do ever day: Tend to their farms, sit on the marketplace selling their goods and otherwise work hard to try and keep their way of life.Those people? They're fools. They don't realize that they could so easily escape the chains of poverty and oppression, if only they realized their own power.

But you? You know better than that. You know that Sevvran is running itself into the ground, and you're one of the few that could stop it.

The question is... do you even want to?

Samarah Ka Qismah

Your 'cult', as the church likes calling it, is having quite a lot of success in the Red Vale. After all, people already worshiped the spirits - convincing them of yours is easy if you can also perform miracles. You now have enough of of a power base here that your followers are sending out missionaries on your own - your presence is likely more effective elsewhere.

However, there are other things to worry about. Inquisitors still roam the Red Vale, trying - and mostly failing, of course - to convert the Valefolk to their faith. The occupying forces are as oppressive as ever, and people are suffering under their uncalled for behavior. What this means, to you, is that there are easy converts up for grabs, but your missionaries very well might be able to convert them without your help.

And there are of course still tales of riches - and dangers - below the sands...

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

Lady Wulfe took you along on a walk through the capitol, doing inspections and talking about the situation in general. She's as stoic as ever, but you know better - something seems to be troubling her. Of particular note, she's most worried about the unchecked rebellious elements in Hissin and Archea and asked you to mobilize some troops to deal with the situation in one of the two.

Before you can give an answer, however, de Wulfe suddenly stops, and starts staring at a seemingly random elf with a look of bewilderment.

While elves are indeed rare outside of their forests, surely, this reaction is a bit strange.

Anathema

You're arrived in Ark's Landing, called here by the claims of being the 'center of civilization'. While it's certainly not as impressive as your own capitol, back in the day - it is true that it's a sight to behold.

As you get off the ship, you see a female knight and a male knight converse with each other. Going by the crowd's reaction, they are quite famous, or high ranked. While the male one seems to regard you as much as any other person you'd meet on the streets - the female one seems to be locked in a stare of confusion as soon as her gaze falls upon you...

Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

His Holiness the pope has called for your services once more. After greeting each other respectfully, he hands you two pictures.

"I want both of them dealt with. While capture would be preferable, so we can force them to betray the hiding holes of their heathen friends, kill them if you must. Their presence and actions taint Sevvran, and we cannot allow this corruption to spread..." he explains. Unfortunately, he falls into a nasty coughing fit soon afterwards, and has to excuse himself. Thankfully, an aide explains that you can find the first, the false prophet, in the Red Vale, and the other, the Windspeaker in Hissin... for now, anyway.

While it's pretty clear to you that the False Prophet is the more dangerous of the two, the pope's strange fixation on the Windspeaker is well know. Chances are, the reward for capturing - or killing - the Windspeaker would be a lot higher than the False Prophet. However, you've already failed at catching the Windspeaker once. How do you feel about that? What was the pope's reaction to it?

Anyway, what will you do? Do what's right for the church, or do what the pope prefers?

Sudden Clarity

You're just about to start your journey out of the Rainlands, and giving your farewells. The monk's opinions on your departure are mixed. What do you make of that? Also, Quiet Insight has given you a powerful item to help you on your quest. What is it?

And most importantly - where do you go first? Sevvran is large, it's problems many, but your information about current events is... lacking, to say the least.

Lavelle Ingernassa

An opportunity presented itself! According to one of your informants, a supply caravan is headed for the front lines, full of food, weapons, armor... and even magical supplies. Which, as loathe as you are to admit it, are all things your little rebellion badly need right now. There is the problem that you don't know how well-guarded this caravan is - and as we're all aware, knowledge is power.

However, can you really afford to let this opportunity pass?

Kurt Hissin

Your followers have been quite successful as of late! A recent raid has supplied you with enough weapons and food to last for a good month. Security has been doubled, of course, but that's to be expected with a success of this size.

Your retainers have given you some suggestions as to what to do next:

- The governor of Hissin's capitol is a known Sevvran supporter, and a bit too well-liked among the people. Assassinating him would not only stop the people from being slowly converted into Sevvran loyalists, it would also rekindle the flame of rebellion among those that still seek to free it.
- The hideouts are starting to be overcrowded because of recent raids by the guards eliminating a few safehouses. You should look into finding more suitable locations, to make sure your guerilla fighters always have a safe place to retreat to...
- The captain of the guard is cruel, and mistreats your ex-subjects horribly. The prisons are overflowing with your brothers and sisters, and surely so are their torture chambers. Most assuredly, you got some ready-made freedom fighters, all you need to do is break their chains and hand them something sharp.
- There are rumors of powerful magical artifacts being unearthed in the Paramount Dominion ruins to the north. There may be something there that could help your cause.
- It's becoming rapidly clear that while you have guerilla fighters, their training is sub-par. Most of these people are just former farmers, housewives, merchants, or what have you, not soldiers. You should find someone who can teach them how to fight better. This would not only raise the quality of your soldiers, but also their morale.
- The secret passages the resistance uses to move unseen are being blocked off more and more by the guards. You need to find new ones, and cripple their capability to do so, somehow - trapping the tunnels would be a good start.

Unfortunately, your manpower is limited - You can only do one of these yourself, and delegate two more to your retainers - otherwise, you'd likely overextend yourself. What will you do?

Oh, and you've heard rumors of the Windspeaker being in Hissin. Which is a bit unfortunate, because it's likely to attract unwanted attention.

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

Disaster! A huge amount of gold has been stolen out of your hoard. Everyone that has been here recently claims to have neither seen nor heard anything, but of course that can't be true, because how would the gold be gone otherwise!?

In other, less important news, the Pope has requested another loan. Getting quite deep into your debt, isn't he? What does he even need all this money for? Is he outfitting his inquisitors with armor made out of solid gold? One has to wonder.

Oh, and the drat Balduwin pirates are on it again. Nearly one quarter of your ships have been raided, sunk, or even stolen completely over the course of this month. It's becoming rapidly clear that this situation is unsustainable.

Leona Sevvran

It's been a while since you had the palace to yourself, hasn't it? Boring old de Wulfe is out with the even older Voss, and you only got yourself as company. Oh, and that beautiful maid. Mmh, such wonderful eyes... Ah, where was I? Oh, yeah. You're alone. You could do all sorts of naughty things. No, not THOSE. Like, reading important documents, sifting through de Wulfe's personal stuff...

Surely, there's SOMETHING you can find that gives your voice some more power, right? It's got to be demeaning, having de Wulfe on the throne when you're the princess. Throne's rightfully yours, right? Not that old hags.

Alternatively, you could just go out and do things in the city. It's not like anyone has the authority to deny you around here. There's a few pubs that always have interesting stories to tell. You happened to overhear that a few travellers from Archea arrived lately. Perhaps you can wring some interesting stories out of them... Or more, if you're so inclined...

Amerigo Hieronymus

Hey, you remember Wealth-Checker? You just heard he got robbed, pretty hard. Now, that wouldn't be so much of a problem - if you were the ones robbing him. But, sadly, you aren't. de Wulfe is going to be pissed about only getting half the tax out of that dragon.

And you know it's gonna be you that's going to be yelled at... so maybe you should help him get the money back. Minus tax, of course. Maybe make up some tax he forgot to pay.

Alternatively, you could extort more money out of those nobles. After all, they've been stonewalling you until their legal staff suddenly and unexpectedly died. Don't you wonder what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TheNabster posted:

Lord Commander Viktor von Voss
He shot de Wulfe a look that said 'Help me here.'

"Pardon me. You reminded me of someone for a second. We'll be on our way. But, if I may make a suggestion, perhaps do not reply so needlessly aggressively." Wulfe replies, moving on and seeing the conversation as over.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

A short distance away, you can barely hear Wulfe mutter 'I wonder if I'll find an agreeable elf before I die of old age...' as she continues on. However, your inspection tour is soon interrupted again, by a messenger. He bears a sigil you know all too well. Wealth-Checker. He wants an appointment with you specifically.

"... It seems this is one of those days... Very well. Voss, go see what that oversized chicken wants. I can handle this myself."

Feel free to take control of the messenger, OscarDiggs.

There are two things that are really curious about this situation:

First, the fact that everyone really seems to be telling the truth. There are no odd inconsistencies, at all. Sure, a lot of them seem a bit frightened, but that's probably because they're having a chat with a dragon.

Secondly, there are a number of gold transfers written in the books that shouldn't be there. They are otherwise in perfect order - except the other side of the transactions never existed.

As you dwell on this matter, however, it appears you received a message, from your frienemy Amergio. It appears he wants to assist you in this matter, and has already started investigations of his own.

Finding Clues: 2d6+6 13 (ignore what link says I goofed) Huge Success! While you don't find any suspects, you at least have a hunch as to how they did it. It's now only a matter to figure out where the money actually went.

Amerigo Hieronymus: Tariff Collector and Adventurer

You weren't able to find where the money itself went - but, it's easy enough to figure out who suddenly got more money - it's usually the guys yelling the loudest in the bar. And lo and behold...

Yeah, you guessed it. Everyone is as drunk as a dwarf on a bad day, because they've given out a number of rounds that likely numbers in the double digits. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to make things out in the noise of the drunken brawl that erupted just as you walked in... but on the other hand...

The guy you're after is knocked out, with a curiously heavy purse bulging out of his pocket. Interesting...

Finding Clues: 2d6+8 17 Huge Success. You found one of the culprits on a spending spree. He only seems to have a smaller part of the loot with him, though.

Kurt Hissin

I rolled for you, this time, but you need to note the qualities you want to use for rolling!!

Your own project bears fruits - via middlemen, psionic suggestion, and other means, you have managed to get your hands on a very curious orb. It's somewhat plain visually, but your power tells you more - it resonates to your energy in some way. Unfortunately, it is broken, and quickly leaks any energy infused into it.

Bartholos reports in a day later. "Milord, my have rooted out multiple spies and verified the background of our cells. In doing so, they also managed to confiscate the Sevvran' bribes - the money is being delivered to our safehouses as we speak."

Unfortunately, any joy from that success quickly fades as Knight Barlas returns.

For he returns battered, his armor damaged in multiple places. "Mi lord... I was unsuccessful. There don't seem to be any suitable men not already in Sevvran's pocket. In fact, more than one engaged me in battle, and I had to abandon the mission. And... in my hasteful retreat, I am unsure if I was able to cover my tracks properly. I am sincerely sorry for my failure, milord..."

Boom.

He wasn't.

Knight Retainer Roll: 2d6+2 4 Failure! Not only did you not find any suitable men, you attracted undue attention...

Spymaster Retainer Roll: 2d6+4 14 Huge Success! Bartholos not only found the moles and dealt with them, but also their payment.

Artifact Hunting: 2d6+4 11 Success! You found a strange orb that resonates with your mental power. You are going to need to identify it, however, and by the looks of it it will also require repairs.

You arrive in the Red Vale with a detachment of loyal inquisitors a few days later.

And immediately you are faced with the first problem - how do you root out a hidden cult when everywhere your eyes fall looks the very same? Perhaps the locals could give you pointers, but you know just how well they like your kind... Grand Inquisitor.

Anathema

You get a few (actually, a lot) of odd looks, but you make it to the library. Contrary to the stories you might hear, the Sevvran do not appear to be brutes in armor.

The sheer size of this library states otherwise. This is also your current problem. How do you even find what you're looking for here, in a library larger than most castles?

Samarah Ka Qismah

The fire suddenly bursts up explosively, and in a second, engulfs you entirely. As you are awash in flames - a scene unfolds itself. No, a multitude of scenes. In fact, an incoherent mess of them.

It's hard to make most of anything out, exactly, but you catch glimpses of the following things:

- A child, abandoned in the desert, reaching out their hand to those who abandoned them.
- A woman, on a throne. Her crown has been shattered in half and she only wears the left half of it.
- A girl, fighting her tears, clearly fighting someone against her real feelings.

However, suddenly, the visions too burn away, and only one thing remains: A troop of Sevvran inquisitors, with heads of goats and an seemingly unending march. As the vision ends, something incorporeal seems to pull you towards the northwest.

But you knew, already, did you not? You never caught flame. It was merely a test of faith, not that you would ever fail such a thing.

Ritual: 2d6+8 15

Lavelle Ingernassa

Thanks to the early warning, you manage to scramble together a raiding party. Sitting in strategic positions in a canyon, your troops are ready to strike.

Your scouts return soon after, reporting on the number of guards - roughly matches your own. Shouldn't be much of a problem, considering you have magic at your disposal, and they do not. Your troops are already eager to strike, like half-starved tigers looking for a meal...

Scouting Roll: 2d6+4 8 Success. You're in a decent location for an ambush, and the convoy is surprisingly lightly guarded.

Leona Sevvran

The troops are absolutely roaring in applaud as you (somewhat overly dramatically) remove your helmet. They're certainly impressed, it seems, and the captain no less.

The captain of the guard takes you on an impromptu tour of the barracks soon after. Well stocked armory, not so well stocked food supply, and sadly completely broken down training gear. On top of that, several of the sleeping quarters seem ripe to soon fall apart - which would be a problem, considering how overcrowded they are...

In other news, your two (girl)friends are very eager to please you, and only a day later, return with news: She's been spotted traveling somewhere to the north. Unfortunately, said news is several days dated, but it's something, right? As usual, she didn't say where she went, but apparently she wanted to 'exercise her sword arm'. Whatever that means...

Impressing the guards: 2d6+8 17 Huge Success! The troops see you in a much better light now - an actual equal warrior, not just some dumb noble to be protected.

Follower Roll: 2d6+2 11 Success. You did find a several day old trail of her, but that's it. Anything further will require a more mobile investigator.

Sudden Clarity

You get a few odd looks by travelers on the road, but they just chalk it up to the amazing monk techniques. Seems like your order is a bit mythical out here.

Anyway, you make it into Ark's Landing safely. Not much of a welcoming fanfare, by that I mean none at all, but that's kind of to be expected. The question is, where do you go? The Palace would be the most logical choice, of course, but perhaps somewhere else strikes your fancy.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren: IMPORTANT! Please roll for yourself for now on. It's getting a bit much rolling for both myself and 10 other players. I will simply reduce your roll by the number of ranks I think don't apply, and tell you about it. :siren:

Also, here's a world map (special thanks to epicurus):

Lavelle Ingernassa

Your words strike hard - they're shaken, and some even dropped their weapons. However... Trilon's attack fails to launch, and you can quickly see why - they've been ambushed themselves, by a lone cloaked individual. Bouncing around with the grace of an elf, they take out a small number of Trilon's troops before Trilon manages to hit them in a crossfire, launching them into the canyon, close to your position.

Trilon's blast incinerated the cloak, and the assailant, who seems surprisingly unbothered by the fall, simply sheds it, revealing...

Oh dear... The Wolf's pup. Looks like the battle is a lot more even than you first thought.

"Hold steady! I will get you through this!" she yells at the guards.

Unfortunately, getting launched off a cliff doesn't really help such a statement, and it fails to accomplish anything.

You have discovered Petra's Qualities: [+6] Stalking Menace, and [+2] Hot-Blooded Crusader. Her Weakness remains unknown.

Ambush: 2d6+4 11 You break their morale.

Holding Steady: 2d6+2 9

Counter-Ambush: 2d6+6 9 Petra attempts to ambush the other group, and accomplishes little other than getting launched off a cliff.

Holding Steady (Trilon): 2d6+4 14 Petra takes 6 Damage ranks and downshifts "Hot-Blooded Crusader" in order to block the damage.

Leona

It's easy to convince cowards to spend money on protection, is it not? In the very same day, you 'suddenly' receive word of several 'donations' towards the city guard. Not only that, you finally heard something new about Petra: She went to the Archean Reaches, traveling with a caravan in doing so.

Anyway, it's just about nighttime, now, and you soon make to bed.

You then have a very strange dream. First, you meet a woman of great beauty.

She smiles upon you, before your vision turns black in your dream. In what appears to be a later time, the woman hands you a crown - one which you realize instantly. For it is your half-brother's. It is bloodied, broken, and the woman forces it upon your head. As you look around, you realize the entire castle is ablaze - not that it seems to stop the woman. For she shoves you onto the throne and locks you onto it with chains of flame.

You soon wake up, in the midst of night, drenched in sweat - you feel incredibly hot, and a sense of dread washes over you.

Stealing poor Amerigo's money from under him: 2d6+6 13

Samarah Ka Qismah

You can quickly feel your will crumble as you feel Ra'Loah's disappointed gaze so strong you worry it crushes you into dust. For you seem to have forgotten that it is the gods that command mortals, and not the other way around. Only because you of your previous dedication, you realize, is it that your request was granted - however, probably not entirely the way you intended.

You can feel your power weakening as his gaze vanishes. It appears Ra'Loah wants you to atone before he restores your power once more.

Your Prophet of Ra'Loah [+4] Quality is temporarily reduced to +2 until you find a way to atone. A likely way of doing so would be finding a person of some importance to convert... without using divine power. Surely you can pass this test, prophet?

Visions: 2d6+4 6

Kurt Hissin

Fifty men, with light gear. Likely a troop of bounty hunters. I don't think they were expecting us here, milord. the guard replies. That would mean that fighting them isn't the problem - making sure they don't run away is the real problem.

They rush deeper into the fortress, clearly blinded by bloodlust - your blood, specifically. A few men split off to engage your troops on the battlement, while the remaining forty or so charge forward, engaging whoever they find.

Barthalos reports a mixed success - he's managed to make an actual assassination possible, but... a few of the workers took the bribe, and reported it anyway. The captain is now paranoid as a result. He also brings troubling news: The Bear has just dispatched two entire battalions your way.

In the middle of the mental conversation, however, your mental focus nearly breaks as you see a figure jump in through a window. Which is strange, considering the huge drop below that window. But it quickly makes sense as you look at the woman closer...

"Hello." she says, making a motion - and pulling the orb out of your pocket, and floating it in front of her eyes, which inspect the item with curiosity.

Raiding: 2d6+4 7 They're spread too thin, looking for you. Should be easy to defeat, however, the men on the battlements might pose a problem to your troops, and your secrecy.

Preparing for Assassination: 2d6+4 10 Partial Success. While he manages to bribe and infiltrate his way into the inner circle of the captain, he caught wind of it, and has become paranoid as a result, making the actual assassination harder.

Anathema

The girl is no match for your charm, and she very quickly smiles at you with glee, bringing you book after book after book personally... In huge stacks. You'd imagine she'd collapse under such weight, but somehow she manages it. She also brings you some tea, not that you'd recognize what kind, and a bit of hand food. It seems to you that she's really grateful for being treated so well.

Your learned mind easily devours the knowledge within, and you're now mostly caught up with the kingdom's history. There are a few things, however, that caught your curiosity.

First, you were not once mentioned in any of the books. Not even indirectly. It seems that you weren't just villified, but completely erased from history here. Not even a caricature of you exists here... which brings us to the second one.

The female knight you met is in fact Lady Beatrice de Wulfe, the current regent. There's surprisingly little about her also - mostly just praises about her combat ability that border on mythological. She's served under the Crown for about as long as Viktor von Voss' (the male knight) has, but she certainly aged better than him. But, it does make you wonder... was it the fact that you are an elf that made her spot you in the crowd, or did she recognize you? No, surely, that is an impossibility.

Incidentally, the girl, and overhearing a few nobles talking (in a library, no less...) inform you of the most recent events - mostly the fact that multiple revolutions are growing, de Wulfe's protege seems to have turned against her, and the huge feud between Wulfe and the Pope. Speaking of religious matter, you can hear (and see, incidentally, the window just happened to show her in the statue in full view) a monk preaching to the masses. Granted, nowhere on the level that you could have, but still.

Karl

Your efforts work surprisingly well. At first, they back away from anything Sevvran, but the lure of food and medicine quickly brings them in anyway. Quite a few of these infidels thank you personally, but you can tell they are very wary of the inquisition - likely due to the Pope's more... direct method.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you arrived in time - one of those peasants here tells you that he saw a massive fire in a dead ruin, and a robed woman heading northwest from said ruins. It's quite likely you just found the false Prophet... or at least her tracks. Her followers remain nowhere to be found, unfortunately.

Setting up stuff: 2d6+4 14

Sudden Clarity

Your fiery speech has been received well. The peasants seem have gotten their faith in the church and government renewed, and you are now the talk of town, and quite a few people seem to have taken note of you!

Including the Princess herself, actually! She has sent you a letter, inviting you for a chat (and meal). You could certainly use the latter. Would save you provisions, anyway.

Riling up the Masses: 2d6+2 10

Viktor Von Voss

The replies to your letters soon arrive. Mostly confirmations of your orders, although Thorne did note that not only is he coming, he'll bring his child daughter with him! He was already looking forward to introducing her to you. Other than that, he thanks you for the money and wishes you best of luck in your work. Wulfe merely replied with a 'Acknowledged'.

As in, she came up to you and told you that.

You can tell she wished to just have a bit of a chat between friends, but unfortunately she had to attend to her duties again (and some idiotic nobles).

You do note, however, that apparently the captain of the guard forwarded some money towards you - apparently Princess Leona did something that isn't simply hedonistic. How amazing. Speaking of which, maybe you can take SOME work off Wulfe's back and make sure Leona is actually content. You know how much work irritated nobles can be.

Commanding People: 2d6+8 12

Thorne sends you his regards, and promises to 'happen to patrol your preferred routes more often than others'. Of course, it's going to take time to actually build the ships - but the important part is, those ships are going to be built in YOUR shipyards. You made sure of that.

On your own end, your staff has received your orders and has begun working together with Amerigo.

Fleet Investions: 2d6+8 16

Amerigo Hieronymus: Tariff Collector and Adventurer

Unfortunately, the guy's still out cold, so not much luck there. But you did find something interesting. There have been several building purchases that lead into the same nothingness. Some in the port, some in the slums, and even on in the marketplace.

It's quite possible they're being used as safehouses by your dear 'friends'. Certainly a lead worth investigating, anyway, since while they can hide their tracks, they certainly can't hide buildings.

Crime Solving: 2d6+4 11

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 24, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:frogsiren: Location qualities are NOT to be used in your rolls directly. You can invoke them by rolling your own qualities, and they will affect difficulties for rolls, but other than that they are for me only. :frogsiren:

Your operation goes well... but sadly not perfect. Your infrastructure is just fine, the merchants are set up.. but you have serious trouble getting workers. People just don't seem all that interested in working the mines or chopping trees... which is strange considering they're some of the richest mines in the entire kingdom.

And, there's the fact that they're disappointing a dragon and all.

Success. You got everything set up - but apparently people here are preferring angry dragons over working those mines...

Going to veto "A Dragon in his Prime" here - it's been used too much of a catch-all quality for my liking, and this is stretching it a bit. You got your other qualities for merchant stuff. Doesn't affect the outcome, however.

Amerigo

Those doors were probably expensive, you know! Replacement issues aside, your goons have been pretty successful. They recovered 80% of the gold. Well, that's what they say. You have this hunch they're keeping some away from you. While you're now sitting in a office filled to the brim with coin (in fact even your seat is covered in them), another henchman arrives, bringing you a letter. He claims to have found it during his raid... and then forgot to tell you after. Classic, huh?

You open the letter... and, somewhat disappointingly, can't read a single word written in it. Which is highly unusual given how many languages you can speak. That, or it's just gibberish. But is it ever?

Anathema

Well, the first thing you notice is that people really don't seem to know how to treat elves anymore. They're mostly just backing away from you, staring in awe, that kind of stuff. In fact, it was kind of hard to strike up an conversation with them!

But, of course, not that this would inconvenience your sheer force of charisma in any way. soon, you strike up conversation with the downtrodden.

And, it's pretty much what you expect. They're weary from the war, mothers worrying about their sons, yadda yadda. You've heard it all a thousand times. Perhaps literally. There are, however, a few interesting things you picked up: Rumors speak of a strange benefactor of the poor.

While they aren't willing to introduce you to this person (yet) The people here are very welcoming of you, having been swayed by your silver tongue. You can rest, here, or perhaps even hide, should the need require it, now.

Karl

Unfortunately, not all is well. You're here on a hunt, not as a missionary - and your funds reflect that. Those schools? They don't set up overnight, and they cost money. And manpower. While you scraped enough together for this city, it doesn't seem viable to try and extend this project much.

And there's another problem. You know, the inquisitors? They don't seem to care much about your reform. Citing Papal orders, they mostly just laugh at your attempt - and somewhat more worryingly, happily continue in their methods. It just struck you that these people... might be corrupt.

Is it, perhaps, that the more you shield yourself against sin with faith, the easier it is for sin to find cracks in your armor?

Kurt Hissin

Quick note: You only get 1 action, 2 if it's a directly applicable follower quality in the same scene as you. Your two retainers will be rolled for by me! I'll let these rolls stand, just something for the future.

Unfortunately, your attempt to poison the incoming battalion's supplies was a horrible failure. They saw it coming a mile away. And who could do that, but the Bear himself? Yes, he's personally coming your way. And his men have already slaughtered half the guerilla fighter cell you sent to poison them.

In fact, their mental death-woes haunt you as you attempt to converse with the Windspeaker. In fact, just now you realize just how tired using your power so much at once made you.

"You shouldn't overdo it, you know. A power like yours is dangerous. You need to tame it still." she advises as she orbs seems to twist and bend in her hands, changing colors and breaking apart before reforming. "Curious item... Do you understand what this is? Hmm... probably not. But it will help you in your quest for revenge, if you can fix it... but first, let me ask you, Kurt Hissin. What is your rebellion about, really? Is it about your people..."

You suddenly hear Bartholos' voice in your head. Or rather, his scream. You can tell - he's just failed his assassination attempt, and got wounded, perhaps badly.

"Or yourself?"

You get 1 BP!. The Windspeaker's words bite, don't they? It's almost as if she's implying something that makes you angry, deep down. does that make you feel vengeful towards her?

Lavelle

The battle around you devolves into a bit of a brawl as the forces clash. However, the two of you end up facing off against one another - without interruptions.

"Don't you dare accuse me of any of these things, you ignorant brigand! Someone has to protect these people from your kind. And I will." is her reply.

She then charges at you, with a scary burst of speed. With a well practiced jump, she brings down the blade on your head...

Only to be stopped by your shadow tendrils at the very last second, giving you time to dodge the attack. However, she violently struggles against the tendrils holding her arms, soon breaking free again.

Counterattack: 2d6+6 13 Petra takes 2 ranks of damage, going down to Stalking Menace [+4].

Leona and Sudden Clarity

The two of you meet.

Nothing from my side - just talk.

Samarah

You can feel your inner fire once again roar ablaze as you bring new flock to the god of flame... however, the coal of defeat still stings. Actually, it's not just an inner fire - your cloak catches fire, for but a second, and as it cools you realize its impurities have been removed.

The people around you only only stare in sheer awe at the obvious miracle, and bring you offerings - including a map of Hissin, a lot of food and drink, and useful information.

The old King of Hissin, for example. They tell you a tale of his stalwart battle... from the shadows. Striking against the kingdom, and attempting to revive his kingdom. It seems he is ever vigilant for any advantages - and what is the greatest advantage, if not literal gifts from God?

In other, less important news, the map you were given has several hideout spots - caves, abandoned houses, resistance tunnels... speaking of which, you were also given a mark of Hissin, that will identify you as a resistance fighter, if you feel the need to.

As for finding the King in Hiding - it's easy. These people are in mental contact with him - and the captain of the guard here knew his location. He is in an abandoned fortress to the west of you. Since it's been marked on your map, it should be easy to find... assuming you don't get lost in the mountains there.

Quality restored.

Viktor Von Voss

Your efforts are already showing success, and you have not even arrived at your destination yet! Already, the thralls of the psionic cretin seek to poison your food and water, but of course, you were prepared for it. The guerillas were put to the sword - mostly. Only a few escaped.

Your soldiers march forward with a steady pace, now in sight of the city Lord Housemartin resides in. However, very worryingly, the city's alarm is going off. SOMETHING is causing a huge commotion.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren: I've decided to limit rolls to one quality per roll. May sound bad, but the system just isn't made to constantly have everything at +8. Don't worry, though, it's perfectly possible to reach even the highest DC's with +4, just not all the time like you used to. Note that this rounds rolls are unaffected. :siren:

:siren: Because of this, you are free to change your qualities around for free, but only this once. :siren:

Leona and Sudden Clarity

Nothing new! Talks don't look done yet.

Kurt Hissin and Voss

Battle theme

Kurt, Bartholos, somewhat against his own will, pushes against his injuries. He, and your reinforcements, engage the now maddened guards once more. However, there are still a lot more of them than there are of your troops, and the entirety of your soldiers, barring Bartholos, are now in the midst of battle. Bartholos pushed forward, trapping the captain in his own room with him. The two engage in battle...

Suddenly, the door gets kicked down. Voss. The Bear himself has arrived, and he's brought reinforcements with him!

And worse, turns out the Windspeaker was right - you really shouldn't overdo it to this extend. A massive headache is forming in your head, and you're starting to feel very dizzy. Any further meddling, especially large-scale or over long distances, is sure to burn you out entirely for a while.

And Barlas just arrived, with a strange woman in tow. Seemingly uncaring about that fact, the Windspeaker addresses you, giving you the damaged orb back, after modifying it somehow - it's clear that it's different, but your head is hurting just trying to think about it.

"Vengeance will get you nowhere, princeling. I cannot say if your claims about it being for your people as much as yourself is true, but understand this: A king lives for his people. Not the other way around. ... Sadly, there are many who do not heed this." (cont. in Samarah prompt)

Contested roll! You beat Nabsters roll by +2, which means the captain is hurt, but not quite dead yet. You're going to need another solid roll to finish him off, or escape. You will also roll at -2 from mental overexertion for psionic attacks outside of your vicinity, or large attacks in general. Communication and such is unaffected, however.

Samarah

Briefly, you get a vision as your gaze wanders into the sun. In the moment of blindness, you see.

Specifically, you see a sword, in a somewhat disgraceful resting place... namely, the bottom of a swamp. The trees around it seem to radiate a grim aura, as if cursed. Briefly, the sword glows in a dim, purple haze, showing the sigil of Hisin.

As you fade back to reality, you realize you have no idea where this swamp would be... but you remember the details of the vision as if they were written in your mind itself.

Soon, you arrive at Hissin's hideout, where you quickly realize it has recently been the site of a battle - however, not a lost one, and you soon are greeted by Kurt Hissin's right hand man.

You are brought before Kurt Hissin by said right hand man, Barlas. He randomly stops for a second, then hastens his pace. Likely, he just received a mental message of some sort. As you enter the room, you see the Hidden King conversing with a strange woman.

Wait a minute, you remember that face! ... not that it's hard to. Her face is plastered on wanted posters EVERYWHERE. It's the Windspeaker.

Taking a closer look, Kurt seems exhausted, for some reason. The Windspeaker, uncaringly, just turns toward you.

"Ah, the Prophet of Vale. I did wish to meet you at some point. Greetings."

She extends her hand, and for some reason you feel compelled to answer that gesture. As you do, she pulls your ear closer to her. "Beware the wolf, for what you think its greatest weakness is its strength in truth."

Lavelle

"Don't even dare imply I want anything to do with that old hag anymore!!" Petra yells out in frustration.

Unfortunately, you underestimated her agility. Speedy little mouse, isn't she? You do, however, land a painful glancing blow upon her, straight up ripping off part of her armor, but it's not the kill you were looking for.

"What power...! Who are you?!"

Trilon, despite your interference in the battle, managed to mop the rest of the caravan guards behind you. Petra, glancing over, notices this, and her eyes widen in shock

"Goddamnit!.... I WILL have my revenge for this...!" she exclaims, not even letting you gloat... or introduce yourself, for that matter. She pulls a small, black pearl out of one of the pockets, and throws it on the ground.

Wait, a smoke bomb? What kind of knight uses smoke bombs?! ... Not that it matters. As the smoke clears (with or without your assistance) you can see her pulling a hasty retreat. Unfortunately, she's still ridiculously she fast, so she actually gained a lot of ground. You can still catch her, but it'll be hard.

Unfortunately, you may not have the luxury of a cat and mouse game with Petra. Rising dust from the opposite side of the canyon betrays the fact that a patrol is headed your way - and probably fast. You'll need to make haste to secure the supplies you came for in the first place.

(-2 to trying to stop her from fleeing due to the difference in speed)

Well, what would one best call this? A learning experience, perhaps. See, you got your workers... but half of them are now dead. Turns out both the woods and the mines are horribly infested with monsters, and even the adventurers guild has given up on most of them. And the other half? Went back to not wanting to work. And, they're blaming you for all the dead people, so... it's unlikely to get them to work for you again.

Failure. You do get one BP for using your weakness, however.

Anathema

Well, you ran upon a problem: You've maybe raised hopes a little bit too high. See, you figured out what they need (or want.) Food, Water, lower taxes, security, medicine... you know, things you might expect from too many people living in too small of a space in the middle of a war.

The problem? With you asking around so much, they kind of got that idea in your head that you're trying to fix those problems, and have the capabilities to do so.

Which you really don't at the moment. No allies, no territory, no resources, nothing. You should perhaps start with the first. Because these people are utterly refusing to let you see their benefactor for some reason, despite their hospitality.

Amerigo

The goon, having sobbered up (mostly), by now, seems pretty talkative. Sadly it's not the kind of talkative you would have wanted.

"You know, we were SO close to getting off this robbery completely free. It's a work of art! The dragon never saw it coming, you saw it never coming, nobody did! Hahahahaha! Just got a little bit cocky at the end there. Oh well~"

He does, however, break upon mere sight of seeing some of the more creative 'interrogation assistance devices' you have managed to collect.

"Woah woah woah, slow down, man! Where does that thing even go-- fine, fine, I'll talk! Not like you'll catch the others in time anyway. This letter... is written in Chamalian. It's instructions by our boss? What, who our boss is? Haha, I ain't that dumb! Guy is scary!"

Apart from being annoying as hell, this guy also seems to be foreign. Or a sailor. Or a foreign sailor. His incredibly weird way of talking implies it, anyway. Chamalian... You're sure to have heard that name somewhere, but where, exactly? It's got to be some sort of obscure nation. Perhaps you should invest some time there.

(No roll needed for the library, just time! Aka your next post. Unless you want to do something else first. Like, say, giving the drat dragon his stupid money back. Basically, sifting the library takes up an entire action in itself.)

Karl

Roughly two days later, you are slowly coming to regret your idea of fasting in the middle of a desert. It's too drat hot, the wind is constantly blowing sand in your eyes... oh, and there's demons staring at you out of the corners of your eyes.

Did I mention the demons yet? Turns out, they're either real... or you're already delusional. A few hours later, at dusk, you collapse from exhaustion. In the brief moment of consciousness, you see one of the demons turn your head and claw into your cheek. It feels incredibly cold, and you feel a demonic laugh echo within your very soul as your vision fades.

---

When you wake up, you find yourself in a strange room, lying in a bed. You can hear noises coming from outside, but you can't make anything specific out.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 5, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anathema, Sudden Clarity and Leona

As you chat, you suddenly get interrupted by a servant informing you that... an elf started a petition to speak with the Regent and Princess Leona. How ridiculous.

Regardless, Wulfe just sighs, chalking it up to yet another waste of time and lets said Elf in. The elf and de Wulfe join Leona's conversation, most likely much to her chagrin.

Wulfe just looks at the elf dismissively. "You again. What do you want? A lecture on how things work around here, perhaps? Hmph."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sudden Clarity

"Sudden Clarity, is it? Pleased to make your acquaintance. But sadly i fear right now we need action, not prayer. I hear you are very commendable in that regard."

After greeting you, she quickly turns to the elf.

Anathema

"Somebody who talks back at me in that kind of tone? ... How refreshing. Now, if i actually know the name of the outsider elf so quick to make audacious assumptions, I may even begin to listen."

BP opportunity! Do you tell her your name and risk getting affected by its reputation, or do you avoid it? How?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

:siren: Quick reminder for two things! 1) use the turn tracker, please! It only works if everyone notes themselves in, and it makes it much easier to keep track off.

Secondly, note any BP you gained in your post. :siren:

Amerigo

It's the state language of an old kingdom from even before the first King Leopold. Nothing special there. What does make the entire thing more interesting is their people. They were rumored (but never truly confirmed) to have the strange ability to change shape.

How the vanished from history is anybody's guess. Perhaps they were conquered by others, perhaps they deleted themselves from history... but the fact that these people know the language is very, very, curious indeed.

Voss

Unfortunately, the men you're fighting are working with uncanny coordination, and it makes it incredibly irritating to fight them. The assassins sent for the captain are dealt with, but your men had close to no success. Burning hay everywhere, panicking crowds, and so on, and very quickly, the assailants are gone. It seems Kurt Hissin himself lent them a hand.

The captain of the guard is going to need some serious medical attention, but he should hopefully survive. The question is, what now? Try to chase them, restore order, or did you have something else in mind?

With the taste of (a) disappointment still lingering in your throat, you read the letter from your contacts.

While you did get some mercenaries, your goon's failure scared off any real mercenaries, so... you kind of got some foolhardy adventurers. They're enthusiastic enough... but they will probably need some herding.

Lavelle

Back in your hideout, your group revels in the victory as you sift through the loot. Some much needed weaponry and food, as expected. But what's more interesting is that there's a letter hidden in a secret department. Even more curiously, it's magically sealed. You don't recognize the spell, exactly, but it doesn't look like it's merely meant to keep the letter closed...

You merely hear the wind howling outside. You quickly realize that this is just a tiny hut, and it's not locked at all. Through the keyhole, you see what appears to be a hermit monk in meditation.

Kurt Hissin and Samarah

"What brings me here is duty." the Windspeaker replies to you, as cryptically as ever, Kurt Hissin. "If you must know, I am here to observe."

Meanwhile, Samarah, the Windspeaker doesn't even bother facing you as she responds. "For her chosen prophet, you sure are utterly tactless... but who am I to question the judgement of the divine."

The words likely leave you somewhat speechless. As you glance at her you only get the same near emotionless, but seemingly unblinking gaze in return.

"I must apologize for angering you earlier, King in Hiding. I had to ascertain your heart is in the right place. And considering your actions, it truly appears to be. As an apology, let me explain what the orb you found is. It's a scrying orb. I fixed it to the best of my ability, but you're going to need some luminous oil to get it fully functional again."

Getting up, she continues. "However, I must depart now. I wish you the best of success in your quest. Just know that you are not going to succeed without allies."

A quick glance at her plate shows that she didn't even eat a single item of food.

"Unless you have something you wish to ask, I will now bid my farewell."

Quornes, you missed your chance at a BP. You need to do something actively detrimental to your character, like, in this case, attacking the Windspeaker. However, this was a test, and instead, the windspeaker told you how to fix your orb.

Anathema, Sudden Clarity and Leona

"It's not often dead myths give such sound advice, but it is true. de Wulfe replies. "Unfortunately, neither food nor money can be summoned with magic yet, lest it'd actually be worthwhile to have around."

Pacing about the room, arms behind her back, she continues. "Your intentions are well enough, but sadly your view is limited."

"Perhaps you could stick around as an advisor. Someone who is not afraid to speak their mind would be a welcome change. And, who knows, perhaps you could teach Princess Leona a thing or two..." de Wulfe offers. "If you are interested, that is."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 20, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sudden Clarity

"Hah, you do speak my tongue, Sudden Clarity. Very well, I will grant you your request. I'll even provide you a target. Head for the Crimson Canyon. According to recent information, a particularly nasty group of bandits made their home there." de Wulfe suggests.

Anathema

After Sudden Clarity leaves, de Wulfe turns to you. "So you really are not afraid to speak your mind, even before those possibly narrow-minded enough to harm you for it? I think we'll get along just fine, Anathema. And yes, I would like to discuss this matter with the Princess. You may as well get a servant to show you around. Just tell them I ordered it.

Princess Leona

Now that you're alone with de Wulfe, she just looks towards you, as if expecting you to say something. You can see the faintest grin on her face...

Lavelle

The letter opens, but... wait, what's that sizzle?

A secondary spell?! The letter starts to erode, bottom up. But you can make out the following:

quote:

The Wolf's Pup has outlived her usefulness, and is starting to stumble onto far too many secrets. Make her disappear, permanently. I goaded her into escorting the supply caravan headed for the front lines to the border, after which she will deliver this letter to you. That will be your chance.

Do not take her lightly, however, for she has the --

Damnit! The letter eroded the best part away before you could read the best parts...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

You succeed, albeit a bit slowly. A few houses burned down, but nothing important was destroyed thanks to the quick information. Unfortunately, the fires and confusion all but eliminated and tracks you could have used to chase them.

With the situation stabilized, both the captain and the governor have requested your presence in their respective workplaces. Which one will you attend to first?

Amerigo and Wealth-Checker

Nothing major, really. A few 'sightings' here and there, usually written off as ramblings of madmen. However, you did manage to find an old map with the borders - there is a lot of overlap with Sevvran's borders, even before Leopold IV.

Wealthchecker, Thanks to your personal involvement, the operation was for the most part a breeze. It tends to help if your employer is watchng. And a dragon. Out there, you find all manner of monster - werewolves, treekin, even a beholder and a giant swamp vermillion. It is a rather odd collection of creatures, out here. Perhaps something about this place is calling them here?

Anyway, the operation is a success and people are calming down. Recruitment has restarted... but you have a feeling the monsters you killed will soon be replaced by more. Also, a messenger from Amerigo arrives. How he found you out here is anyone's guess. Guy has a nose for gold-related things that could make a dragon envious.

You now know everything Amerigo is willing to share with you.

Karl

The monk does not respond until a good ten minutes later. "You know, for Sevvran-Folk, you sure a strange one... What brings you here? Heat's almost fed you to the critters, you know."

Lavelle

Your agents found out where Petra's going. She's heading for the Wyvern Clan's territory. A bit strange of a place to go to when wounded, is it not? Unfortunately, your agents refused to go further without specifics orders, because the Wyvern Clan's aren't exactly known for their hospitality...

Kurt will get to oppose your scry roll, so that one will have to wait.

Samarah

After making sure your vision of the future is granted to Kurt, you realized he speaks the truth. The Inquisition will soon rear it's ugly head. Perhaps you should move along, to spare Kurt the trouble.

Kurt

"Hmm... I am not quite ready to tell either if you, yet. Farewell." the Windspeaker replies as she leaves. Samarah soon follows suit, and you are alone once more. Later that night, after you have gone to sleep, you receive a vision... and it is glorious.

For a mere moment, you can feel it. No, taste it. The sweet taste of utter success. You stand before a mass of people, all cheering. They're chanting your name with a fervor you cannot remember since the day your father lived. You turn to your left and see both the Bear and the Wolf, broken and in chains. They await only your judgement. To your left, you see Samarah, ablaze in divine radiance as she steps forward and places the most beautiful crown you could ever imagine on your head. You have succeeded.

You are King in true.

Unfortunately, you're also soon back to reality, but this bitter longing to return to the moment of your glorious triumphs remains for long, even after you wake

All of a sudden, however, you feel a strange magical activity. It appears to be a long range scrying spell, and it's coming from... hmm...

Contest Lavelle's roll with whatever quality you find appropriate.

Anathema

Surprisingly, the library is better stocked than the armory. Of course, it's nothing compared to the library you've just been too, but you are sure to find something not present there in this one. Most interestingly, you find a stack of books resting on a table next to a chair. As if someone intended to read them but did not get around to doing so...

Leona

Now that everyone else is gone, de Wulfe gives you the faintest of smirks, looking at you for a moment, before starting to move along. Perhaps she's awaiting your response (or complaints...).

Sudden Clarity

You arrive in the Canyon a few days later, but... something's off. Surely, if these bandits were so fearsome... you'd actually find them somewhere. Are they perhaps aware of your arrival?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kurt Hissin

The search for the sword goes swimmingly! Well, sadly, a bit too literally. You know thing about swamps? They're wet. Really wet. But your troops are progressing in the search. There's just two things that are a bit of a problem: a) There's a lot of diseases in there and they're already starting to fall sick to all the bloodsucking insects, and b) It seems the sword's power has attracted monsters feeding off the radiance. While it does confirm the blade's presence here, do you really have the manpower to spare to fight these beasts?

On the other hand, your alchemists came up with something. An age old recipe describes this oil. Unfortunately... It's hellishly complex to create without the proper tools. And the ingredients are rare enough that gathering them yourself is likely an impossibly, so it won't come cheaply either.

At the very least your vassals are safe and sound, right?

Samarah

Unfortunately, your precautions do not appear to be enough. They set up a checkpoint on a chokepoint, and annoyingly enough it was hidden enough for you to be unable to see it until you're already up close. They have not quite identified you yet, but they're doing so with everyone that passes, and turning back now would also be pretty suspicious.

BP get! You're in a situation you're not going escape easily, though...

Look at all this gold! Sure, a good 20% of it appears to be missing, and another 10% has been replaced by fake money. but it's most of your reserves back.

Wait, fake money? Is Amerigo trying to pull something here?

Nevertheless, your side investigation is coming going to take a while to show results. Maybe you should talk to Amerigo about this admittedly very cleverly made fake money first...

The governor welcomes you with a feast. Some local delicacies, apparently, mixed with some of the good old Sevvran cuisine you know and love. While you two eat, he details his current woes.

"Lord Voss, I must admit I am a bit scared for my life. I treat the people here as best as I can, but yet I am forever hounded by the eerie soldiers of the King in Hiding." he complains. "I do fear this is a problem one cannot solve with kindness alone. Even if the people here love me, the loyalists of old want only to replace me with their king. I must ask for your assistance in this matter: As long as that man remains alive, I fear we will never be able to truly integrate Hissin into our kingdom."

Lavelle

Oh, what's this? While you haven't yet found the man proper, your scrying happened upon the scene of a fight - his head assassin, perhaps? Unfortunately, something is interferring, perhaps the King in Hiding himself, and you are going to have to redouble your efforts if you want to find the man that could get you to your goal.

Amerigo

Turns out going undercover was the right idea! Reaaaally deep down, you just found a critical piece of information: There's a particular material shapeshifters are naturally allergic to, unable to keep up their guises in it's presence. Unfortunately, it's the very obsidian glasscutters are made out of. You'd have to deal with ogres to get some.

Unfortunately, your cover got blown by an unfortunate mishap involving a random goon you happened to have extorted in the past. It seems he remembered you better than you did him.

Anyway, you got out of dodge in time, and are now back at base.

Oh, and your favorite dragon just arrived. Very, very hasty. Here for his gold, obviously. He looks at hi gold and glee. And then looks back at you, his grin having vanished.

Karl

I am here to enrich my knowledge, worldly... and otherwise. Religion in particularly." he replies. "Ah, pardon me, I should introduce myself. You may call me Mersan.

"Did you know that there are over one hundred and twenty religions on this world? Depending on the definition, that is. A lot of them, like your cult, are very small, of course. But do tell me, young one, what does make your cult so dangerous?

Giving you some time to think, he continues. "But perhaps I should answer your question. So many of Sevvran's clergy are only here to bludgeon their religion into the heads of others, and somehow assume it will actually be effective. If they aren't only in it for the privileges and bribes, that is. Sadly an all too common concept among all the more successful religions, that is. Would you perhaps wish to learn more about them? I have much I could show you, if you are inclined to learn."

Your line of thought is interrupted by a sudden, powerful gust of wind.

"Mersan, I'm ba....ck..." a female voice says.

All too quickly, you recognize who the voice belongs to. The Windspeaker.

Leona

De Wulfe chuckles at your response. "Do not mistake your lack of political power as a lack of power. Your name and your blood are still the same as your half-brother's, are they not?"

"I must admit, however, that this is mostly a strategic move. She's already tried to rile up the peasants, did she not? It's better to keep her here than out there, unsupervised. You do know the old saying, yes? 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer'.

She then sighs.

"And, who knows, maybe a strange turn of fate will change your luck. I've always been a firm believer in making my own fate. Regardless, I must return to my duties. Enjoy chasing maids or whatever it is you nobles do."

Anathema

It's a wide manner of subjects. One of them is about half-bloods, two of them are about statescraft, another one is about sealing magic (huh...) and the last... appears to be a fairy tale?! The last appears to have been used the most.

You hear footsteps coming in your direction, so you quickly return the books in the state they were. Or at least approximately so.

"Ah, hello again." de Wulfe says to you.

Picking the fairly tale out of the stack, she takes a look at it before replying to you. "Ah, this tale. One of the few things that remain from my childhood."

Carefully and surpringly tenderly wiping off some dust of it, she puts it back on the table.

"Say, I am curious. What did bring you here, Anathema? Surely, it can't be the senseless bloodshed."

Sasha

Well, that's... a bit awkward. The last thing you remember is heading for Sevvran in your Glasscutter, your crew in tow.

Now you're in the desert. The in-land desert. ... WITH your Glasscutter. But no crew. Just what the hell happened here? You must have had way too much alcohol. Well, this will be interesting at least. According to the map, this is the Red Vale. Home of gently caress all except for a bunch of desert people sitting around any water sources. And apparently a cult or two, but who cares.

You reaaaally should figure out what to do next...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 10, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sasha

You walk on for hours, and hours, but nothing resembling civilization appears to be in sight. Finally, next morning, you see something man made on the horizon!

Wait a minute, that's a ship.

Your ship.

And all the booze is gone!

Come ooonnnn.......

This isn't right. You don't remember ever turning around!

Anathema

"Hah, why did you think I joined the military? One of the few places where skill matters. It appears that is somewhat unique to Sevvran, however, given how incompetent the generals of the surrounding nations were..." she reminiscences.

"Oh, that book? It's a collection of stories from Jerim Grey. Mostly adventures of the children of a few races. Elves, humans, even an ogre child. And the hilarity that comes from the cultural differences. Sadly, I think we're yet quite far from such a scenario in the real world."

Sighing, she continues. "You sure are fond of bringing that up. Trust me, I am doing all I can. Unfortunately I have a lot of things to juggle. If you are truly your namesake, you would know how hard dealing with nobility can be. Regardless, something came up I would like to have your help with. A village in the Blade Hills has not yet paid their taxes. I would like for the princess to get some actual experience, and I want you to go along and make sure it goes smoothly. Do you think you're up to that task, Anathema?"

Leona

Your meal goes well. Perhaps a little bit too well. More than one of the commanders pledges to help you, and some even seek your favor in other ways. Interesting. Perhaps people are setting their hopes on you more than you thought?

Anyway, a messenger arrives, too early to be from said commanders, but still sadly not exactly what you wanted to hear. She was protecting a caravan, it has been raided, with the guards slain. No sign of Petra, however, which can be both a good and a bad thing.

Kurt Hissin

Your expedition is much more successful with your personal guidance. The men are in higher spirits, and looking to impress, after all.

The monsters are much less threatening if they are too busy trashing around from mental pain, and your men deal with the rest. Your exploits here would certainly be worthy of legend... if anyone were to witness them.

Finally, you are close enough to sense the swords presence. It's power. It's... authority. It's so close. You lead your men to a grove, where it barely sticks out of the swamp waters.

Unfortunately, it is not unguarded.

Just what is this thing?! It looks like a dragon, but it radiates a much darker power! Awakening from its slumber, it faces you and greets you with an earth-shattering roar.

Now, it is truly time to become legendary!

Amerigo and Wealth-Checker

Amerigo, immediately you notice something odd: The insides are filled with iron, not bronze like usual. It seems the intent was a much larger amount of fake coins, not the quality of the farce...

Wealth-Checker, a messenger arrives much sooner than expected.

"Uh, Sir...? This may sound ridiculous... But there have been reports of an Ogre Glasscutter in the middle of the Red Vale. More than one."

Samarah

The guard looks at you funny for a moment, then looks up.

"Ugh, the sun is so bright today... Yeah, yeah, okay move along. Enjoy the festivities while they last."

Funny, considering how clouded it was a few minutes ago.

Lavelle

The man walks out of the gate, looks around him, gives your group a suspicious look and then moves on with a fast pace. Worrisome! Did he spot you, or didn't he?

Partial success. You found the man, but he's suspicious of you.

Voss

Already, you can see the King in Hiding's support crumbling. It's going to take a while to get all this sorted out, but already the people are greeting you on the street instead of cowering in fear. Hell, at this rate this place will be BETTER than what it was before. And the people are aware of it!

Meanwhile, however, the captain of the guard awaits you in a sickbed. Apparently he isn't quite in a state to meet you proper yet.

"The Bear! A welcome sight, Lord-Commander Voss. I must apologize for the pitiful state of affairs here. The King in Hiding has done a number on the troops. *cough* cough*"

Taking a sip from a glass of water, he continues.

"We completely underestimated his capacity for guerilla warfare. Even the highlands, with their mages, aren't anywhere like this. And worse, they appear to have some sort of secret hiding hole. There has been no sign of the man himself in all these years whatsoever. It's all underlings."

Karl

Going by the storm like winds surrounding her, she briefly considers smashing you through the building, but decides otherwise.

"It's funny how much friendlier you inquisitor scum are without an army behind your back!" she replies with venom in her tongue. "No, I am going to stay right here. What do you want, and why shouldn't I just kill you on the spot!?"

"Please calm down! He's just..." Mersan tries to plea. A sharp glare from the Windspeaker quickly quiets him, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anathema

De Wulfe chuckles. "You know, for a supposed Tyrant you sure have a lot of kindness in your heart" she replies. "Yes, it'll be official. I don't think it's possible for the fattened pigs we call nobility nowadays to despise me any more intensely, anyway."

As the topic comes to the fairy tale, she adds "I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised, then. My views on things are quite controversial in Sevvran, as you might be aware. It comes with living on the battlefield I suppose... on the battlefield, it doesn't matter if the person next to you is a half-elf, an orc, or what have you. It only matters which way the blade is pointed."

Looking up from the books, she concludes. "But yes, you are now officially part of the court. Feel free to stab anyone who disagrees, I won't miss them. Anyway, go inform the Princess if you don't mind. The carriage will be ready tomorrow morning, and I'll have the paperwork finalized by your return."

Leona

Your seduction works quite well! A bit too well, maybe. Gregor Hallim, he says, is his name. He's absolutely smitten with you and promises you he'll help you fine Petra in any and all ways he can!

Unfortunately, after a few hours of fun he remembers he has actual duties and has to go attend them. Let's hope he's actually successful...

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 25, 2016

• Locked thread