Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The Super League's filled with Silver generation heroes, with a few Bronze generation heroes who unironically bought into the superhero idea and a few Gold generation heroes who are still in the game (and are usually considered to be just a hair on this side of demigods). So far, no one from the latest, Modern generation of superheroes has made it into their illustrious ranks.

Which is where you come in.

You've all been invited to reform the Super League's junior team. The last one was a group of Bronze generation heroes that disbanded after a tragic disaster. They managed to save the city, but the few survivors retired from the superhero life. All that aside, in addition to the nice base and training that comes with the team membership, you'll be on the fast track for League membership, but... the team's official status is still a secret for the moment. They want to do a few trial missions with you before you they're willing to publicly endorse your actions.

But you'll prove that you're cut out for this... right?

---------------

This is a game of Masks, a PbtA game of teen superheroes. It's going to be heavily influenced by Young Justice, so we're looking for a PG13 rating and a bit of conspiracy unwrapping. I’m looking for 4-6 players for this game. I'm planning on using the default setting of Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Modern heroes. An image for your character is encouraged, but not required. I’ll ask an additional round or two of questions and then make picks. Also, feel free to use the new playtest playbooks!

Hanging out in #swampthings on the synirc channel is heavily encouraged, since it helps keep games moving when players can talk about it on IRC. The deadline for apping is about 1 week from now (July 22nd). If you really need some time beyond that, we can work something out.

Questions to answer in addition to your playbook:
Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?
What's an interesting place in town?
Who's an interesting non-hero in town?
(optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?
(optional) A thread name for the IC thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Bunny Bat, the Redeemed
So, since you're trying to be on the straight and narrow, who's keeping you fed? Why?
Which one of your old teammates doesn't seem to mind your new line of work?
What important thing did you steal that you haven't gotten around to returning? Why?
What really weird gift from Dracula turned out to be pretty handy?

Hamon, the Newborn
What's something that Dr Gotama left for you that you don't understand?
Is there something you think you'd rather do than be a superhero, even if you think you can't do it right now?
What do you do to pass time between orders?
What was it like the first time you got hurt? Or would you prefer 'damaged'?

Bolt & Lodestone, the Joined
What habit do each of you have that gets on the other's nerves?
Lodestone, when was the last time Bolt surprised you with how responsible she was?
Bolt, what's the something thing that Lodestone will shirk off being responsible to indulge in?
What was it like the last time your bond was disrupted?
Also, I don't think you get the damaged condition. That's newborn exclusive.

Tatsu, the Bull
Who did you beat down when you were on the Witch's leash that you can't get out of your head?
What's Nock done that your honestly thankful for? Did you let him know?
Why do you think that Wildfire picked you for the team instead of Nock? How'd Nock take it?
What omen usually presages that Witch's goons appearing?

Spiderman(!), the Star
Who managed to make the leap you missed by going from TV star to respected celebrity?
So, how did your Uncle find out that you were Spiderman?
Who at the Daily Bugle has your back, letting you know the details about the latest hatchet job? Why?
Do you have anything you want that the fame and respect get you, or are they an end to themselves?

Flaire, the Star
When's the last time you hosed up on camera or in front of an audience? How'd you get in back in your audience's good graces?
Who actually knows that you were... uh... let's be generous and say a bit of a dweeb before you got your powers?
Which hero did you look up to that didn't make it out of the Dimensional Crisis?
Do you have anything you want that the fame and respect get you, or are they an end to themselves?

Li Xiahou, the Newborn
So... you don't talk a lot, huh? What's something that you're obsessive about that isn't related to Kaku in the slightest?
Do you think this affection you have for Kaku is genuinely shared, or are you just a particularly useful tool that needs to be shaped and sharpened?
Do any of the tricks really work on you? Mirrors, Rooster's call, peach wood, etc?
Also, just a general rundown of what's a day in the life look like for you?

Entropy, the Janus
What exactly do your parents expect of you that make them such an obligation on par with the others?
Who else on the student council knows what's going on with your super hero identity (and thus also your non-super hero identity) and is supportive?
What's nice about your fast food job, aside from the money or other direct compensation?
When's the last time you used violence that made you uncomfortable?

Aegis & Key, the Joined
Who do you think might be one of those mages, reborn? Why?
Aegis, when was the last time Key ordered you around? Did you mind?
Key, what happened recently that makes you think your grand destiny might be coming to a head?
Do you ever miss being in the same body? Why or why not?

Plastic Girl, the Innocent
What's a place that's changed to keep up with the times, but still feels just the same?
What's gone that you miss? Why?
What's Major Fallout up to these days?
What happened the last time you ran into your future self?

Silver Bolt, the Legacy
What monster hunting skill can your little sister always outdo you in?
What's the last (and only?) big monster you bagged? What was disappointing about it?
When was the last time you didn't live up to the standards of the Order? What happened?
What's so bad about Dracula, anyway? Like what do you really think about him, not what the Order's taught you.

Barracuda, the Janus
What makes your boyfriend such a big Baracuda fan? What made him suspicious you're holding out on information about her?
Who else is on the student council with you? Who are you great friends with? Who's an awful person you never want to see again?
What kind of music do you REALLY like? Who introduced you to it, and why do you parents want you to spend less (read: no) time with them?
What are you thinking about doing after school, aside from marrying Casey (...or, you know, not?)

EVERYONE, just to be clear, do you actually have a secret identity? Why or why not? If yes, who knows?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 18, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2

Silver Bolt, the Legacy
Ok, ok. Fair enough. Let's get some nicer questions. What did the order teach you that was unexpectedly useful?
What monster do you hope you never have to fight and why? What do you dream of fighting?
What's the coolest part of the Order's training grounds?
Annnnnd one last question. Why do you think your mom is going to retire soon?

Where do you go to feel like you're back at home?
Who did your future self kill that everyone else sort of agrees was for the best? How do you feel about it?
Where have you been staying while you've been figuring everything out?
Do you really think the future can be changed?

Hamon, the Newborn
When's the last time you surprised everyone (including yourself) with your understanding?
What's the next thing you're working on to improve yourself and why?
Who taught you about lying? How? Do you lie? Can you lie?
Do you think more of you should be made?

Aegis & Key, the Joined
How did you find each other this time? How was it different from the other times?
So, do you flirt on the job, or is it all business? Do you wish it was different?
What's a sure sign that Sable or is his minions are coming?
What does your "Happily ever after" look like? Do you really think you'll get it?

Enthropy, the Janus
Yikes! Blackmail? Why'd you even have those pictures in the first place? Who's avoiding you now because of it?
What's the last big crime you thwarted and who swore eternal vengeance? ...And then you recognized them at school the next day?
Who do you think might understand your situation at the League, aside from your sponsor? What makes you think so?
How long do you think you can keep up with this dual life?

Tatsu, the Bull
Who got hurt the last time the Witch sent some goons after you? Who did they blame?
What do you like to do to unwind that's peaceful?
Who did you see in town from your old life? Did they recognize you?
So... what's it like when you "die?"

Bolt and Lodestone, the Joined
Does it bother you that people treat both of you as a pair rather than two individuals that are close?
Bolt, what's your favorite thing to do with your powers?
Lodestone, when's the last time you got burned because Bolt trusted someone too easily?
Which of you do each of you think your parents like more?

Bunny Bat, the Redeemed
When's the first time you did something unabashedly heroic in public? How'd it go wrong?
How are you planning on proving to your teammates that you deserve this chance?
So, what exactly is it like? Being a vampire, I mean? Which of the weaknesses work and which don't?
What do you miss most about being a normal girl?

Spiderman (!), the Star
Who's the Leaguer that thinks you don't deserve this shot and how'd they make sure you know?
What exactly does D-Pool do? Like on a day to day basis? Do you still hang out with him?
What's Mary Jane's latest project, and how does she want you to help make sure it's a success?
Who did you manage to piss off while playing buddy cop with Iron Woman, and why did she approve?

Li Xiahou, the Newborn
What's your favorite part of being on your own?
Which hero did you beat online before they found out who you were?
How'd you respond to the idea of taking orders from someone other than Kaku?
What's making the your's mindless obedience to Kaku slip?

Flaire, the Star
What makes you scared that you're just going to be a flash in the pan?
What's your favorite place to go when you need a break from fame?
Who doesn't do any of this PR stuff you're doing, and yet... they always seem to be one step ahead of you?
What would you do if you lost your powers?

Barracuda, the Janus
What controversial opinion do you actually share with your parents?
Which of your friends doesn't like Barracuda? Why?
Where did you go to train before you were on the team? Why do you still go back there?
Who, besides the Cobalt Samurai, knows your secret identity? How'd they find out? What did they want in return for keeping the secret?

Round 1
Lunaria, Crown Princess of the Risheed Lineage, Envoy of the PGH... the Outsider
Who's someone in the League that doesn't seem to understand how great the Pan-Galactic Hegemony? How are you going to prove it to them?
What's an Earth custom that you find delightful? Distasteful?
What happened last time you tried to pass as human that makes you think you've got a lot to learn before you can pass?
Which "villain" that you have come across had a motive that did not make any sense to you?

Ghost Eater, the Legacy
So, do you deal with normal ghosts too, or are you more of a super hero with a ghost arch enemy?
Do you have any plans for when you pass the mantle on your sister? What if something happens to her?
Which tradition of the Ghost Eaters do you think is really dumb? Do you do it anyway?
What's Gwisin after right now? How'd you find out?

EVERYONE, just to be clear, do you actually have a secret identity? Why or why not? If yes, who knows?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 19, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2

Lunaria, Crown Princess of the Risheed Lineage, Envoy of the PGH... the Outsider
Which member of your family really wants to visit you? Why don't you want them to come?
What do you make of those people in black suits that have been following you around?
Which normal person have you befriended? What fascinating thing exclusive to Earth did they share with you? How much do you trust them?
What makes you fear that someone inside the PGH wants to keep Earth out? Why?

Also, this is a ton of apps, so I'm probably gonna close them tomorrow. If you're interested and haven't apped, please throw in an interest post so I know to wait on you.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2
Ghost Eater, the Legacy
How are you most afraid of letting down your legacy?
What do you like to do when you're not on the clock, as it were?
Which League member has always been the exception to your Legacy's secrecy rules? Why?
What do you think will happen to you if Gwisin is banished or put to rest? Do you really want that to happen?

Round 1
FORCE, the Protege
How'd you fare in your first interview with Tricia Rodriquez-Jones as the Lawman's sidekick? What advice did he give you for future interviews?
Who's managed to step out of their mentor's shadow and become an independent hero in the League? What did they do that makes you despise them?
What villain has decided that you're their arch enemy? What happened?
What will you do if you can't cut it as a solo act?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Round 2
FORCE, the Protege

Who's The Lawman's biggest rival in the League? How did they treat you last time you ran into them when you were on your own?
What about his archenemy? What were you doing last time they pulled off a caper?
What's the last crazy stunt you pulled that had your sister waiting up for you when you got home so she could chew you out?
What gift did Lawman give you when you were selected for this team? Was it underwhelming or exactly what you needed?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 21, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, I doubled this to two teams just so I could take more of you, because drat, all the apps were amazing. But unfortunately, I'm not crazy enough to do three teams, so I couldn't take all of you. It took a while to figure out what teams I thought would have the most interesting interactions, and a spreadsheet with notes that chronicled my descent into madness. So, without further ado:

Team 1
Flaire, the Star
Silver Bolt, the Legacy
Bunny Bat, the Redeemed
Barracuda, the Janus
Tatsu, the Bull

Team 2
Bolt/Lodestone, the Joined
Entropy, the Janus
Hamon, the Newborn
FORCE, the Protege

Team two goes here. As for Team One, first off, do backgrounds and such. Then, pick which of your teammates' sponsors seconded you on a first come, first serve basis. You don't need really know why you got seconded, but feel free to speculate. Also, those sponsors are going to be your main point of contact with the League, so hope you get along with them! Also, if you haven't, work out your intro montage. I'll be adding more to the general montage, but I'd like your input.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Right, also need your first and second choice for team lead.

Also, give me a description of your room in the base. The normal entrance is through the sewer, but it does have an emergency teleporter to the League Hall as well.

Also, here's the map of the city. If there's anything you wanna add, (your house, points of interest I missed, etc) go ahead.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Game thread up

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, one thing I'm a little unclear on is who goes to which school. There's the public school in the seedy warehouse district, and the snooty rich kid school uptown. Silver bolt and Baraccuda go to the rich kid school, but how about the rest of y'all?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Been a bit since posts, so wanted to see if people need something more from the prompts or just having some trouble posting or what.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rauri posted:

Yami's been sadbrains, I've been writer's blocked, Shoota's PC exploded, and mistaya was moving these past weeks. So really, the game going slow is godfish's fault.

(I'm getting over my stuff and posting a lot more over the next couple nights to get all caught back up, maybe a scene transition would help though?)

drat it, Godfish!

(I'll do a transition later this week, then.)

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Been neglecting this for a bit, but I'm going to reopen apps for the week. They'll end Friday evening, and I'll have a post by then. The team currently consists of a Star, a Bull, a Janus, and a Legacy. Also, only use the core playbooks, please.

Instead of the original ones, please answer these questions.
Which hero sponsored you for this team and what did you do to get their attention?
What have you accomplished in town over the past month?
(optional) What are you doing in the show's intro credits montage?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Clockwork, the Doomed, who else in the League knows what you might turn turn into? What non-lethal way do they want to prevent you from becoming joined with your other half?
What's something you remember that's going to happen soon that you want to prevent?
So, what's your plan on stopping your doom? Or do you think it can be stopped?

Chimera, the Transformed, what's the last thing of Technomaster's that you broke? Why did you keep it?
Which of the other guinea pigs do you keep in touch with, if only via letter/email/etc. What have they let slip that makes you think they're pretty bad off, even for the people that came out of those experiments?
What's it feel like when your body changes to suit your latest need? Does it change back to... uh... "normal" on its own, or is it stuck like that until you will it to change to something else?

Starseeker, the Outsider, What parting gift did your father's give you before you left for Earth?
Which of your family has caused trouble for you on Earth due to their disapproval of your choice to become an Earth hero?
While you've been working, has anyone made the connection between your hero identity and your Earth identity? If not, what lengths have you had to go to in order to keep them separate?
Also, tell me more about Strike. What are her powers, what's she famous for, etc.

Mithril, the Protege, So... what do you do with Roxy to unwind from your training?
When's the last time you screwed up? How did Damascus express his disappointment?
What do you need to work on the most before you'll be Damascus' peer?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Apps are closed. I'm gonna finish up a round of questions and then make picks.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Devil Trigger, the Transformed:
How's Luciel different from the friend you had younger? What hasn't changed a bit?
What do you miss most from your old life? Who have you tried to stay in touch with?
What's the best lead you have on TINDALOS?

Bravura, the Nova:
So, do you still go to school? If not who's the League have tutoring you? If so, which teacher knows about your superheroism?
So, that worship power is... a bit creepy, considering how you got your powers, huh? What sort of powers does the Presence like evoking the most? Or at least what wears it out the quickest?
Who thinks you're a menace that needs to be muzzled?

Black Hole Son, the Beacon:
Do you think that your mom leaned on Monolith to get him to sponsor you?
In the League how secret is your parentage anyway? If it's a secret, who knows? If not, who resents you for it?
Which of your parents do you want to be more like as a hero?

White Cat the Delinquent:
Who's a flat out better hacker than you? Be honest, now.
Who in the city is against your involvement with the league due to your past crimes?
What's the next headline grabbing stunt you have planned?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Nobody, the Nova

So... Why do you think Voidcaller's trying to let things in? What have you seen that makes you think she's still the person you knew?
What's the last big thing you've seen Jenny doing? How do you feel about it?
What's your favorite thing to do with your powers?

Picks closing Sunday at 2 PM EST, so I can get a new post out before I go out for the evening.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

As always, it was difficult to make picks, but Moonlight Vigil, welcome your new members, Chimera, the Transformed and Mithril, The Protege.

You'l be joining them at the training camp soon.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oh, before I forget. New blood means new vote on team leader. Ranked voting for first and second, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

League Communicators are basically super fancy smartphones, but the damage was pretty bad. After about 15 minutes, Lag eventually throws up her hands in frustration at trying to get it to work again, and just waves her hand over it. Then, an SD card pops out of her glove and she passes it to you, saying, "I scrapped everything I could off it. I'd take a look, but I'm sure you don't want me looking through all the top secret League stuff."

Which, regardless of how you feel, is the end of the conversation for her, as she's bored and done her good deed (yuck) for the day.

When you get the chance to look at it later, you see that she had been investigating comatose victims in the Halcyon hospital's psych ward. There'd been a sudden spike in the last month that set off all kinds of alerts she had programmed. The data's too corrupt to get the full list, but the last one went by the name of Limer, Chris. By now, he'd have been in a coma for 11 days.

• Locked thread