Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Have you realized that you need some exercise? Or maybe that you'd like to get out and explore the magic land under that big yellow bright thing in the sky?
Perhaps you've realized (like me) that doing so on a skateboard would end in a trip to reconstructive surgery, and that leaning over on a mountain bike, or slick roadbike, isn't for you anymore.

That's where you (re)discover the magical chillness of Cruiser Bikes.
A cruiser bicycle, also known as a beach cruiser, is a bicycle which combines balloon tires, an upright seating posture, a single-speed drivetrain, and straightforward steel construction with expressive styling. Cruisers are popular amongst casual bicyclists and vacationers because they are very stable and easy to ride, but their heavy weight and balloon tires tend to make them rather slow. They are associated with the larger category of hybrid bicycles.
The bikes, noted for their durability and heavy weight, were the most popular bicycle in the United States from the early 1930s through the 1950s,[1] and have enjoyed renewed popularity since the late 1990s.[2]

:homebrew:One of the best things is that older cruisers can be had for cheap at garage sales and dumpster diving, if you can't/won't spend for a brand new one.
Added bonus that most of the older bikes will last forever even with lapses in care. Seriously, i'm pretty sure mine would survive a nuclear apocalypse with only minimal scuffing to the paint.

Mine is a 1977 step-through (ladies) Schwinn Suburban in Flamingo. Apparently, Schwinn only used the Flamingo color for ~6 months and have never used it since, making mine a bit more valuable. Thanks, garage full of bikes guy that sold it to me!
When I got it, The grease, inner tubes, and tires were still the same ones on it from day it came off the assembly line in the first months of Jimmy Carter's presidency. After some tlc and the hurling of profanity that goes along with fixing mechanical things, she cruises beautifully.
I named her Orlando since i got her at the same time as i came out from the trans closet and started hrt.

Use this thread as a place to post your chill cruising adventures and stuff. And of course since this is the Chill forum all bikes are welcome, not just cruisers. Even skateboarders and rollerblades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
:dance: Excercise YAY!

<3 <3 Vanisher

Queen-Of-Hearts

Today's trip report:
Rode around for a bit today since it was so nice. I stopped at a little park with a small lake and watched little fishes jump out of the water trying to catch bugs as parents were fishing with their kids. Most folks were searching for pokemons with each other. Even overheard a little kid trying to teach his grandma how to pokemon :3:
I also saw some philosophical musings written on the pavement:

There were a few older folks riding about on their comfort bikes that were friendly and waved. A couple of people on their fancy road bikes, decked out in spandex went past me in the other direction. I chimed my little bell and waved, and they looked at me the way a pro gamer scoffs at a filthy casual. Oh well.

Then as i was just getting home, it sounded like a gun went off!

Queen-Of-Hearts fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 16, 2016

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Piso Mojado

are those the original wheels/tires?

Queen-Of-Hearts

Wheels yes, tires and inner tubes are last year new. I should have gotten gumwall tires to make it look "correct", but whitewalls are pretty
I also repacked the grease in all its bearings

Piso Mojado

the whitewalls are sweet, I like them. those are beadless rims iirc, you may want to lower your tire pressure a bit because the tire will slip off and/or pinch the tube at higher psi.

I've been thinking a lot about taking an old vintage cruiser frame and welding/installing a few modern conveniences on it. The only thing stopping me for years was the fact that I have half a dozen bikes already. I just moved and sold 3 of them tho, sooo maybe it's time to build that beast beach cruser. :]

Queen-Of-Hearts

DOOOO ITTTTT.
One of these days i'm going to frankenstein a tadpole recumbent trike out of various bike pieces and weld the screaming skull logo from Fury Road where the license plates would go.
But first.... When i was a wee babby Six, the absolute coolest bike you could possibly have was a 10 speed. So when i saw a Huffy Omni 10 in someones trash a few years back, i said "Not today, bitches" and snagged that fucker to restore it and ride it endlessly.
Its supposed to look like:

So hopefully i'll be busy soon restoring it while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2OXqvFMJM
plays on repeat.

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Biking is super fantastic - I do it a lot.

If ANY yobber wants to join me in the D.C. area for a bike ride on Rock Creek Trail, PM me yo!

Queen-Of-Hearts

Today's trip report: Fuuuuuuck its humid :vomarine:
I under inflated my new inner tube today. The max pressure on the wheel says 70 psi, so i gave it 65psi. Im assuming thats enough, and that i should be better about avoiding big bumps on a 40 some pound, cold war era bike.
I have a cheap huffy mountain bike had from a garage sale for :tenbux: that ive considered making into a fixie to see what all the hipster fuss is about. I have a feeling its a dumb idea, confirm or deny, yobbers?

treasure bear

i went on bike today and went around the park and bugs went on me again im nevre going to park again

Queen-Of-Hearts

You have to establish dominance over the bugs.
Get one of those electric flyswatters that look like a tennis racket, hook it to a motorcycle battery, and scream: "YOUR CHILDREN AND THEIR CHILDREN AND SO ON FOR A THOUSAND GENERATIONS WILL SUFFER YOUR FATE AS PAYMENT FOR YOUR SINS" and then turbo zap those fuckers.
Guarantee they'll leave you alone.
Unless you get those suicidal bugs.
Then you hosed.

Queen-Of-Hearts

While cruising about today, i saw the tiniest little bunny dart across the road and into the first row of corn, where he stopped and stared me down as i rolled past.
A spy no doubt. God, they recruit them so young these days. Straight out of the lettuce planters. So much for adolescence.
He was gathering intel for the B.I.A (Bunny intelligence agency) to share with the N.S.A (neighborhood squirrel association) on my movements and routines. Theyve recently begun joint operation assaults on my vegetable garden and planters. One of those plastic kettle looking pots completely stripped of its beets.
The fauna know no mercy. Only furious digging and the desolation of barren potting soil spilled across a patio.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i was just thinking about if earth was hit with like a massive EMP how valuable bicycles would become

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Buy your bicycles now folks

Queen-Of-Hearts

Lets all make a pact, that if in fact the earth IS hit by an emp, that we'll all weld skulls and spikes to our bikes and make the mad max movies a pedal powered reality.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Lets all make a pact, that if in fact the earth IS hit by an emp, that we'll all weld skulls and spikes to our bikes and make the mad max movies a pedal powered reality.

im in

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Cycling is for nerds, and I'm not just saying that because my bicycle was stolen. Again.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I prefer rollerblading. It has more wheels.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
after the apocalypse it will be harder to find wheels

Queen-Of-Hearts

We'll be fashioning crude wheels from all sorts of materials. Rocks, tree-stumps, the skulls of our enemies...

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

after the apocalypse it will be harder to find wheels

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
i like to put a playing card by the wheels to make my bike sound more rad

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
you should do that after the apocalypse to scare away raiders and scavangers, just a little post-life hack for you :)

Queen-Of-Hearts

Pre-apocalypse trip report:

I was accosted by an unchill looking little bird.

A plant monster tried to steal my ride!

Horned worms are perverts.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
it really does disturb me that nintendo corp let loose all these invisible pokemon and the only way you can see them is to download their software

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Luvcow posted:

it really does disturb me that nintendo corp let loose all these invisible pokemon and the only way you can see them is to download their software

do they feel pain if you walk through them?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Ahundredbux posted:

do they feel pain if you walk through them?

i hadn't even thought of that but now I'm scared i might walk on one, i was more worried about stepping in their excrement

in all seriousness though this thread makes me miss my old bike

Queen-Of-Hearts

You know what that means!

Queen-Of-Hearts

It means hit up garage sales and find an old cruiser!

Queen-Of-Hearts

A few years back I scored a huffy helios mountain bike for 10 bucks at a garage sale. Today i woke up with a serious itch to start modding it.

I͎̤͓̝͖̫̞t̡̢̻͕ ̻͈͕͢B͍͔ę̬̱͍͓̕͟ͅg̞͕̻̝̙̫̭̮͜͞į̸͙͓̪̹̥̤̳͖͘n̨̧̲̩̹̠̝s̵̞̯̩͉̝͙

Queen-Of-Hearts

Long story short: gently caress mountain bikes.

Hello again, BYOB. Meet Glory, the Huffy Omni-10 made in 1984

I rescued her from a trash heap 5 or so years back.
Today began her journey back to life.

Everything on that bike is original. EVERYTHING. The seat, brakes, and everything else are all in a bucket waiting for reassembly. And yes, the seat is blue to match :krad:.
I'm going to repack the grease, replace the cables, and restore her to look as close to factory spec as possible because i would have killed for a bike like this when i was a little kid in the 80s, and electric blue 80s beauty is forever.

I pulled the stem out to regrease the head today. Those bearings hadn't seen the light of day since Reagan was campaigning for reelection. The grease had the consistency and appearance of tar, but it was surprisingly easy to take apart. I measure effort on these projects in profanity. Getting that stem loose only took a couple "loving hell"s. Hopefully the rest goes as smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
i wish i had a bmx and a gay love story to go with it :sigh:

• Locked thread