Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A long time ago some goon went off on a rant about how terrible the intro was. Lady justice pulling off her blindfold to give a saucy wink to the camera. I don't think he understood daytime court TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They always got people trying to force her into some kind of existential crisis, but she always sees right through them. P cool.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I like the episode where a mother and daughter sold pictures of cell phones on eBay.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

eric posted:

I like the episode where a mother and daughter sold pictures of cell phones on eBay.

That was great because she didn't deny a beat of it. Just lots of "I never started that they were getting anything but pictures in the ad". Like she genuinely thought she had discovered a legal loophole that would completely exonerate her.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When Judy found that they listed the weight of the item which was way more than an empty box weighs, she went straight for the jugular and the mom's robot programming entered an endless "we just said it was a box" loop

Also, daytime court shows are not actual courts but arbitrators so doesn't that mean legal loophole song and dance mean even less?

edit- oh wait I think that was for a ps3. There are five types of cases
-dog bites
-back rent/security deposit
-unpaid personal loans
-car repairs
-sales scams

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 18, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ya1CBuw.jpg

Judge Judy Sheindlin’s show has been running since 1996 and has made gross revenues of $1.7bn.

Only Judy can Judge Me

Hotter than Microwave Mom.jpg

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

WhyteRyce posted:

edit- oh wait I think that was for a ps3. There are five types of cases
-dog bites
-back rent/security deposit
-unpaid personal loans
-car repairs
-sales scams

You forgot the former couple/roommates that separated. Judge Judy loves those cases where a young girl moves in with a guy.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The thing you used to always see on the judge shows were when people would put other people on their cell plans and the other person wouldn't pay the bill because it got huge since it also cost money to get the phone taken off your account. Do the phone companies not do that anymore? I haven't seen that type of case in a long time.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I go to a methadone clinic every morning at 5:30am and the small-claims judge shows have already started on the little TV in the corner when I get there. Nobody ever laughs, we just stare blankly at the prosecution and defense and wonder how they ended up doing better than us.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

We need more heroes taking poors to task on television

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I like Judge Judy but I don't like this she's submerged flabbergasted that sometimes people without much money do vaguely illegal things like having their car registered in their friend's name or whatever. Like, she can't move on from that point and see the big picture of the case. I understand the whole "clean hands" thing when coming to court, but it's not always that simple.

It's just that I've been on both sides, very poor and very ok. When you're poor you do dumb poo poo just to get to work every day so maybe she can see past it and talk about what you're there to talk about.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You forgot the former couple/roommates that separated. Judge Judy loves those cases where a young girl moves in with a guy.

That's usually a combination of "back rent/security deposit" and "unpaid personal loans"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I watched Judge Joe enough times in one stretch to recognize the same short blond haired woman sitting in the same spot of the court on different shows wearing different outfits. That's when I found out that sometimes they pay people to sit in certain spots of court room and do complex things like "be the first person to walk out after the participants"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

criscodisco posted:

I like Judge Judy but I don't like this she's submerged flabbergasted that sometimes people without much money do vaguely illegal things like having their car registered in their friend's name or whatever. Like, she can't move on from that point and see the big picture of the case. I understand the whole "clean hands" thing when coming to court, but it's not always that simple.

It's just that I've been on both sides, very poor and very ok. When you're poor you do dumb poo poo just to get to work every day so maybe she can see past it and talk about what you're there to talk about.

Yeah those ones are bullshit though because she doesn't get to actually decide anything with her mindbrain.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
hooo lordy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
judge mathis was the protege of judge judy, he is my favorite because he is all about tough love. he was a bad kid but overcame it and turned his life around, and now he has a daytime small claims court show on tv

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The White Dragon posted:

judge mathis was the protege of judge judy, he is my favorite because he is all about tough love. he was a bad kid but overcame it and turned his life around, and now he has a daytime small claims court show on tv

Nah he tries to be people's court.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jerry springer and maury are superior to judge judy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gaunab posted:

Jerry springer and maury are superior to judge judy

tfw "i'm two thousand percent sure he's my baby daddy!" and you're like "no he loving isn't"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/PO8w9sGuoYM?t=50

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Maury is the loudest show on television.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
judge joe brown hates HATES pit bulls. he delights in taking out his chart about how horrible pit bulls are when it's a dog bite case and 9/10 times it's a pit and the other one time its a pit mix.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The Peoples' Court with Judge Milan is the best of bunch. She actually explains interesting legal points and they seem to do more contract/business type cases than angry family members bitching at each other cases.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
the best part about her is that when she really gets fired up and talks to people who think she hasn't hung in the hood her accent comes out.

I watched a lot daytime court tv.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah Judge Milian is the only one of the bunch I've ever learned anything about the law from.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Judge Joe is cool because he used to break out his southern gentleman long drawl and explain things like laws in a commonwealth

Hot Bench is alright, you guys should give it a chance. It's amusing when some sleezeball tries to pull a fast one on the one judge from the Bronx

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Is Hot Bench the one with 3 different judges all sitting crammed into one judge chair? I saw a few seconds of it when I was getting my oil changed. It seemed more am absolutely retarded idea.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

criscodisco posted:

Is Hot Bench the one with 3 different judges all sitting crammed into one judge chair? I saw a few seconds of it when I was getting my oil changed. It seemed more am absolutely retarded idea.

2 of them weren't even actual judges. One of them I think argued white collar cases so she sometimes seems fluxmuxed by typical sleeze level cases that the other two instantly smell BS on. The show can get in a nice groove when it's basically 3 judges tag teaming someone they don't like

Miss Sonia is working on that show now!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

criscodisco posted:

Yeah Judge Milian is the only one of the bunch I've ever learned anything about the law from.

She used to do death penalty litigation. Much better gig now imo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

criscodisco posted:

They should actually all sit in the same chair at the same time for the whole show

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Judge Judy ain't scare of no one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC4iOurQOMU

Can you threaten a fake judge in a fake court?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought they were in the same chair, but I only saw it for literally 20 seconds. Right as it came back from commercial my car was ready.

That's why it seemed so outlandish to me, like a funny Simpsons commercial or something like that. I pictured them all in the oversized chair arguing with each other over how to litigate. I assumed none were real judges, just like ombudsmen or "just gives good advice".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Could anyone other than Judge Joe or Judge Mathis pull off this case?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pGfOXcrGCc

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Toriori posted:

judge joe brown hates HATES pit bulls. he delights in taking out his chart about how horrible pit bulls are when it's a dog bite case and 9/10 times it's a pit and the other one time its a pit mix.

Good. Pitbulls are loving scum

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jerry springer is just chilling while his producers book broken people on his show. He knows he won't be able to help them so he just sort of jokes around with everyone.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
I wanna see Judge Judy vs. Suck my dick you fuckman

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

criscodisco posted:

If you've ever read any of the complaints by people who've been on the show, one of the things they mention is that the contract specifically states that she's not obliged to follow the laws of anywhere in mediating the cases. It's not a court and she's utterly inconsistent about applying legal principles to the cases.

You need to remember that first and foremost it's entertainment. It has nothing to do with "justice", and those appearing are willing to sell their dignity for a free holiday. Whom she is likely to berate and for what is so well known that it's pretty idiotic to go one the show if you're one of those people and expect that you won't be humiliated - the entire point of the show is for her to have people to humiliate. It's just Springer with better window dressing and less swearing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lolie posted:

If you've ever read any of the complaints by people who've been on the show, one of the things they mention is that the contract specifically states that she's not obliged to follow the laws of anywhere in mediating the cases. It's not a court and she's utterly inconsistent about applying legal principles to the cases.

You need to remember that first and foremost it's entertainment. It has nothing to do with "justice", and those appearing are willing to sell their dignity for a free holiday. Whom she is likely to berate and for what is so well known that it's pretty idiotic to go one the show if you're one of those people and expect that you won't be humiliated - the entire point of the show is for her to have people to humiliate. It's just Springer with better window dressing and less swearing.

Judge Judy and the rest of the TV court shows never really pretended to be about following legal procedure, it's more about deciding what is "fair" which has nothing to do with the law. If the ruling were supposed to be based entirely on the law you'd probably see people with lawyers, which I don't think I've ever seen, to make sure the correct legal argument is put forth. In the end she almost always rules in the "right" person's favor, at least from an emotional point of view. Liars and disrespectful people don't deserve to win, even if they are acting within the confines of the law.

Yeah they play up the humiliating part but what do you expect? If you want serious courtroom portrayals watch CSPAN not daytime television.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hot Bench is my favorite because if you're going to be terrible, then at least go all out on it.

Murphy Brownback posted:

it's more about deciding what is "fair" which has nothing to do with the law.

In one episode of Hot Bench some girl was suing her ex landlord for 2x her security deposit, because in her state she was legally entitled to it. The Hot Bench judges gave her poo poo for it.

The nerve of that woman, asking for what she was legally entitled to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Renegret posted:

In one episode of Hot Bench some girl was suing her ex landlord for 2x her security deposit, because in her state she was legally entitled to it. The Hot Bench judges gave her poo poo for it.

The nerve of that woman, asking for what she was legally entitled to.

Again, if you want something and your argument is based on what you're legally entitled to, go to real small-claims court, not on a TV show. Think about it, if you wanted to address problems your relationship is having you'd go to a licensed therapist or something similar. If you wanted a free vacation and to get on television and don't actually care what the outcome is, you'd go to Jerry Springer/Maury. It's the same deal with the court shows.

• Locked thread