Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think's gonna win?
Okada
Tanahashi
Naito
Shibata
Tenzan
Field
View Results

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spermgod posted:

these shows haven't been all that good i think

I missed night 5 but I've seen everything else and I thought the quality has been pretty consistently above average. There hasn't really been a blow-away MOTYC yet but the quality level has been kept up and I've really been enjoying the upsets.

That said I've mostly only watched the tournament matches and haven't really bothered with any of the multi-mans before the intermissions. That's kept the time watching down which has probably helped avoid burn-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (

Spermgod posted:

these shows haven't been all that good i think

Definitely not as good as what we got in the last few years. But as Jerusalem mentioned, it's still pretty decent. I'm still optimistic for the guys to really get going once they get to Osaka though.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This definitely hasn't been 2013-2014 level but I'd put it in the same realm as last year's (which wasn't great at first either) with the benefit of less trash matches. Honestly even disregarding talent depth the new format's gonna prevent it from reaching the heights of a couple yeas ago. The EVIL/Nakajima match today was a very well executed 10 minute match and the main event's worth checking out. Show's 1 and 4 were really good, 5 was mediocre and everything else has been pretty decent.

Anyway:

Tour resumes tomorrow with a Block A night at the normal time of 5:30 EDT/ 10:30 BST. On paper this looks like it could be another iffy A block show but I think it has more potential than 5 at least. Marufuji vs. Ishii could be great, Goto vs. SANADA might have some heat simply due to the stable feud, and Tana has carried Fale to good matches before plus it'll be interesting to see if his losing streak continues.

G1 Climax Night 7
July 28th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Tokorozawa Civic Gymnasium, Saitama Pref.

Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and David Finlay
Nagata, Kojima, Honma and Nakanishi vs. CHAOS (YTR, YOSHI, and Gedo) + Nakajima
Michael Elgin and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Yujiro Takahashi)
Shibata, KUSHIDA, and Juice vs. L.I.J (Naito, EVIL, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Block A Match:Togi Makabe [6] vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hirooki Goto [4] vs. SANADA [2]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Tomohiro Ishii [2] vs. Naomichi Marufuji [4]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Kazuchika Okada [4] vs. Tama Tonga [0]
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi [0] vs. Bad Luck Fale [2]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tanahashi pretty much HAS to win this match to have any chance of at least being in the mix at the end of the block, right?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

Tanahashi pretty much HAS to win this match to have any chance of at least being in the mix at the end of the block, right?

Too bad he's wrestling his tournament poison.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just catching up, someone needs to gif Kenny getting cold spray on his nuts

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Does Kenny seem more subdued during this tour or is it just me?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

zrrgin posted:

Does Kenny seem more subdued during this tour or is it just me?

more subdued than he was last year before his big push I suppose. I mean, we still got to see him get punched in the nuts and shoot water out of his mouth like a cartoon in this tournament, so if he is more subdued it's only relatively

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Still in dire need of a LI original trucker hat, if you know where I can get one please feel free to reply here or slide into my dms. Thank you. Tranquilo

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

ParanoidInc posted:

more subdued than he was last year before his big push I suppose. I mean, we still got to see him get punched in the nuts and shoot water out of his mouth like a cartoon in this tournament, so if he is more subdued it's only relatively

Maybe he seems more subdued just from lack of the Young Bucks

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

So far the top performers relative to their usual level are Marufuji, Tenzan, YOSHI-HASHI, Ishii and EVIL.

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

Is it just me or did that tag match have anybody else feeling really loving good about Nagata vs. Nakajima next show? Like of course it was going to look good on paper, but dang.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just started watching, keep the streak going Tenzan!

Edit: Screw you, Makabe! t:mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 28, 2016

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Ishii/Marufuji was Good

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

Food Court Druid posted:

Ishii/Marufuji was Good

UH YEAH

Also Tama Tonga needed to keep the shirt on with the Sleefs, he looks way less "homemade music video creep" that way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tanahashi found the cure for his Bad Luck Fale weakness.... lose a bunch in matches beforehand!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Main event was excellent. Tana and Fale have had good matches before but Fale's definitely been more on this tournament than he was last year. Kinda heartwarming to see the standard Tana go home ace promo since it feels like it's been so long since we've seen one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Off day tomorrow before the B Block resumes in Aichi on Saturday. It starts a half an hour ear]]lier than most of the recent shows at 5:00 EDT/ 10:00 BST. This looks like a big weekend card in a sizeable bulding headlined by Naito vs. Shibata and an Elgin/Omega rematch.

NJPW G1 Climax Night 8
July 30th at 5:00 EDT/ 10:00 BST
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. David Finlay
Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi, and Captain New Japan vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, and Yujiro Takahashi)
KUSHIDA and Juice Robinson vs. L.I.J (SANADA and BUSHI)
Tana, Tenzan, Makabe, Liger, and TMIV vs. CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, Goto, and Gedo) + Marufuji
G1 Climax Block B Match:Tomoaki Honma [4] vs. Toru Yano [0]
G1 Climax Block B Match:YOSHI-HASHI [2] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Yuji Nagata [6] vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima [4]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Michael Elgin [2] vs. Kenny Omega [4]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Katsuyori Shibata [2] vs. Tetsuya Naito [4]

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

If Makabe wins one more match, Tanahashi is out. I could definitely see him beating Fale, but everyone else is going to be tough. The Ace might survive!

Shibata and Naito better tear the house down on the next show. I was really into Shibata being sick of Naito's poo poo late last year and feel like it never fully came to a head.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Is there a guide to which button on the profile page is for cancelling your subscription? Google translate only works on the plain text.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Is there a guide to which button on the profile page is for cancelling your subscription? Google translate only works on the plain text.

https://njpwworld.com/withdraw/confirm should work.

It's the button at the bottom of your profile page, the one that looks like this:

Of course, I'm also gonna to tell you to wait two weeks unless those BOLA tickets have really drained you. I don't blame you for skipping the fall shows if you're not that huge a fan, but at least stick it out until the end of the G1.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
It's just not a service I get enough use out of to be worth the cost. I'm working too much right now to be staying up until 4 AM or later to watch wrestling. I really should have done it months ago but I kept forgetting until after they already had billed me again.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If Makabe wins one more match, Tanahashi is out. I could definitely see him beating Fale, but everyone else is going to be tough. The Ace might survive!
Are you sure? Tanahashi has 5 matches left, so potentially 12 points, and one more win would only take Makabe to 10.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Semprini posted:

Are you sure? Tanahashi has 5 matches left, so potentially 12 points, and one more win would only take Makabe to 10.

Legit one of my favorite parts of G1 is listening to or reading people trying to work through the math needed for guys to make it. :allears:

http://i.imgur.com/DyDhTf0.gifv

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Semprini posted:

gently caress, I miscounted. Either way, I think that Makabe will be Tanahashi's spoiler because I don't see Tanahashi beating Okada after their feud ender at WK 10. So if Tana loses to the champ and Makabe beats anyone, they tie at 10.

I have no idea what is going on in Block B because goddamn Honma has 4 more points than he should.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Tanahashi and Okada will draw with Tanahashi advancing imo

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Just accept that Nagata is winning the IWGP Title at WK. When you think about it, nothing else is acceptable.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I'm curious to see how far they take this Tenzan thing. I have zero history with him so he really doesn't mean that much to me at all but I could see why the Japanese audience would really get behind him with the current story they are telling. It would make sense for them. For me however, I will be annoyed if he gets to the finals. I get it he has a long history and has built a legacy in NJPW G1's but I just don't like older, slower wrestlers. Maybe it's ageism, sue me. His style and his moves just bore me to tears.

So far this tournament, my favorites have been.

Day 1
SANADA vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kazuchika Okada

Day 2
YOSHI-HASHI vs. Kenny Omega
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomoaki Honma

Day 3
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto
Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

Day 4
Tomoaki Honma vs. YOSHI-HASHI
Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega
Michael Elgin vs. Tetsuya Naito

Day 6
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. EVIL
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Michael Elgin

Day 7
Hirooki Goto vs. SANADA
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Naomichi Marufuji

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Just accept that Nagata is winning the IWGP Title at WK. When you think about it, nothing else is acceptable.

I was hoping for Nagata this spring but I'm equally ok with Tenzan doing it. No interest in anyone else.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

NJPW G1 Climax Night 8
July 30th at 5:00 EDT/ 10:00 BST
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

G1 Climax Block B Match:Tomoaki Honma [4] vs. Toru Yano [0]
G1 Climax Block B Match:YOSHI-HASHI [2] vs. EVIL [2]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Yuji Nagata [6] vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima [4]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Michael Elgin [2] vs. Kenny Omega [4]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Katsuyori Shibata [2] vs. Tetsuya Naito [4]

Tonight/today in like an Hour. Solid looking G1 card

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yano got the win! He could still take it all!

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
That was good. Go Yoshi.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe
I would kill for New Japan to get a mic always on Kenny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Who won the last two matches? I assume Nakajima beat Nagata?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Who won the last two matches? I assume Nakajima beat Nagata?

Yup, and Yoshi beat EVIL. Both were pretty drat good matches, N/N was insanely fuckin stiff

edit: that was my favorite of the Kenny/Elgin matches we've had so far and I loved both of the previous ones

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 30, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was kinda hoping Omega would win that one to set up another IC Title match between the two.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
I would like to report a murder.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
These Omega vs Elgin matches are always so good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Omega can be so good when the bullshit is minimized and he has chemistry with Elgin. I thought Elgin would just drop it back to Omega this fall but I guess that's not where they're going. Tana vs. Elgin at WK11 maybe?

Need to catch up to the first two block matches after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

Tana vs. Elgin at WK11 maybe?

Now I'm gonna get mad at New Japan if they don't follow through on this promise, despite then never actually even suggesting it.

• Locked thread