Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

NGDBSS posted:

The only real issue with it is that, due to how the page is coded, Ctrl-F doesn't work.

If your browser has a manual "find" option in one of its menus (Chrome does, for instance), you can select that to bring up the search box. :eng101:

(Results may vary by browser, but it definitely works for Chrome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

EclecticTastes posted:

It's an old Vaudeville fanfare used at the end of a bit, it was most famously used on Laugh-In, a massively successful sketch comedy series from the seventies. You can also hear it at the end of many songs by Spike Jones, and it's the typical ending used by Weird Al in his polkas (under the attribution, [current record label] Polka). :eng101:

Huh. DeathWatch and this thread suddenly became edutainment.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I love this game soooooo much. :allears:

It sadly was stolen from me so I can longer play it. I admit I've been tempted to buy it again, but I'm pretty much beyond the wii now at this point.

Going to watch this with great enthusiasm.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

(Video)

The street's been conquered and the bistro set ablaze. Jack's final destination in Asian Town is the Sumo Arena, a popular spot for spectators of all manner of competition.

To honor the spirit of this Arena, DeathWatch has arranged for Jack to fight an opponent in a Sumo Wrestling match. Against a man of unbreakable will and impervious to all manner of damage.

Yokozuna awaits a worthy opponent.

Venue

Soundtrack
Death and Honour - Wordsmith

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Taking pointy weapons as accessories is definitely the way to go.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

THERE's my favorite boss theme in the game. I recall the next set of levels to be kinda weak after the strong showing from Asian Town. At least the final boss of the set makes up for it slightly.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm honestly liking where the story is headed. Good ol' Jack isn't in this to be a hero. He's just in it as a hired gun.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I like how quiet, low-key and downright somber the cutscenes are. I think one could make the argument that they're at odds with the meat of the game, but given how frenetic and cluttered the action is when you're actually playing, the opportunity to take a breather and switch mental gears for a few minutes between levels is absolutely welcome.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Well that, and by the time it's cutscene time everyone remotely near Jack is dead.

Kind of leads to a deathly silence.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I hated that if you got a game over you had to restart at the beginning of the level even if it was against the boss fight. The girl in Chinatown killed me many, many times and that's one of the longest levels in the game to have to repeatedly replay.

I played this game a month ago and, while fun, it just made me wish I were replaying No More Heroes instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Imagine if every cutscene had all the dismembered and dying wailing in the background while people have these conversations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
Cause I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

Had to be done eventually. :)

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I'm not one to think a piece of entertainment could conspire to prevent me from accomplishing something, but the first level of the Mad Castle section of the game seemed to be pretty intent on making me fumble my way through it when recording. After three attempts over the past week and a half, I'm sticking with what I have now regardless of how lovely my play was. I didn't game over, and that's what counts. DeathWatch will resume this weekend.

On the plus side, I finally got a second job to get me some more consistent pay. Life's not all bad.

FrankZP posted:

I like how quiet, low-key and downright somber the cutscenes are. I think one could make the argument that they're at odds with the meat of the game, but given how frenetic and cluttered the action is when you're actually playing, the opportunity to take a breather and switch mental gears for a few minutes between levels is absolutely welcome.
Same here. It's kinda funny that it happens right as the gameplay part starts to get a bit worse, but Noa's introduction in that flashback is something I like because it adds even more gravity to the situation that Jefferson Island has been put in. Plus his voice has such a great, sinister tone to it.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The Mad Castle, a massive estate imported from Eastern Europe is the next stage in the Varrigan City Deathwatch games. Not even the undead can faze Jack as he continues his ascent up the rankings.

Death itself waits to lop off any heads when they least expect it, and a gentlemen's game of Man Golf is the primary past time of this castle's twisted residents.

But tonight, on this full moon, the Shamans are out for blood. Let's get crazy.

Venue

Soundtrack
Crazy - Doujah Raze

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Am I imagining things, or did they somehow manage to avoid making an 'rear end in a top hat-in-one' joke?

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
don't mean to drive a wedge in this issue
but it would be a longshot to call the challenge "golf" in the first orderplease don't get too tee'd off about it

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Am I imagining things, or did they somehow manage to avoid making an 'rear end in a top hat-in-one' joke?

Howard respects the game too much for that. He's more into playing a quick back 9 and retiring to the clubhouse for a tall cool Rosie Palmer

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I don't think Howard's even into playing golf, at least not the way the game's actually meant to be played anyway. Hell, same probably goes for Kreese, and we know what both of those two really enjoy in life.

Anyway, I'm stuck contemplating what I want to do with the next level regarding the DeathWatch Challenge. I've been wanting to show them off as they appear in the campaign, but the next one I remember being especially time consuming. Like a lot of prep work and the result being points that would possibly jump me straight to the BB Challenge and then the Boss after that. Plus it's the second to last one that will appear at the pace we're going, last one being in the fourth major area.

I'm not really looking to go for a completionist playthrough with this game since video and audio editing can only do so much to make this game's core gameplay be more interesting than it is, but I want to show off as much as I can as thing come up. So DeathWatchers, do you or do you not care to see me try and stab 5 lamp posts through a mini boss's skull while zombies repeatedly try and claw at my rear end in a top hat?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
As someone who has done almost all of the bonus poo poo in this game, gently caress no, dude. No one should have to suffer through that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe a bonus video after the final boss?

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
aww christ that fuckin' challenge,

its only worthwhile if you prep for it, which won't make for a good video

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Sticking five light posts into a guy while dealing with zombies? Jack ain't got time for that poo poo.

Also, I'm loving the LP, Madworld was always a favorite of mine, partially because of Proops and DiMaggio, so it's great that you're letting them be front and center, without letting them repeat themselves (I always loved the scotch bit that was in the last episode when I was younger).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's two more neat kills in that castle, one is the Pirannaha tank (I think it shows up later on though) and the other happens if you throw a zombie out of the left side windows of the castle (left of you if you're staring at a fireplace).

The Shamans also get hosed up hard by the torch, but you almost certainly miss the power struggle if you do that :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This Madworld LP goes down a lot better with a glass of scotch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
every LP does

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It feels even better if you crush it and inject it into the folds of your scrotum.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

It feels even better if you crush it and inject it into the folds of your scrotum.

I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better by grinding 'em up and injecting them into the folds of your scrotum.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mauman posted:

I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better by grinding 'em up and injecting them into the folds of your scrotum.

Ha, you got me!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I like to down my glass of scotch with a glass of scotch.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack's made it past the front gates of the castle and found his way into the estate's dungeon. Full of numerous torture devices and bad science experiments.

Many obstacles stand in the way to keep Jack from reaching the mayor's daughter. From zombies, to drillers, and all manner of razor sharp blades sticking out from floors and ceilings.

But to get out of this dungeon requires going deeper down. Down into the den of a monstrous DeathWatch contestant...

Venue

Soundtrack
Deathwatch - Doujah Raze

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
those explosive barrels cancel the healing done by the chair and take out an additional 20% off frank's bar if thrown while he's sitting

Frank is the prototype platinum exam boss (your not just brute forcing your way though this game, are you?) because he requires dodging on the narrow platform, and fighting smarter with the barrels

Prototype as he is clearly not successful as an exam boss

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually like this level, but the breakable walls do indeed suck. If you screw around the middle of the area using that sword switch, it's p easy to get the points you need. I had fun, though the drill guy I can take or leave.

The stage challenge does suck as does the boss fight, on that we have an agreement.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm not sure I ever actually went up to the higher floors in this level? Still, as bad as the level is, the Black Baron really makes up for it in the previous cutscene. Pretty much everything he said in it is gold.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The rest of the level isn't that great, but man do I love that hand.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack's last stop before finding the mayor's daughter is an ancient cathedral at the far end of the castle grounds. Only he's not looking for salvation, but for a target.

Vermin nest inside the condemned walls of this sanctuary, but the meanest of them all is a swarm of bats controlled by a sultry and very dangerous succubus.

Pain and pleasure are all she gives to anyone that crosses her path. It's time for her to feast.

Venue

Soundtrack
Crimson Rain - Ox

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I wouldn't say that I was distracted the first time I did this fight, but I did giggle like an idiot when I noticed that Jack was VERY visibly checking her out during the power struggle.

Also, I wanted to say that you made my day by posting these videos (had a rough one, and I greatly enjoy this lp so the vids perked me up).

Thank you.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God watching that cutscene at the end was satisfying.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crowetron posted:

The rest of the level isn't that great, but man do I love that hand.

The challenge games seem to be the best part of this. The rap goes in one ear and out the other but that jaunty tune that plays while Jack murders goons by the dozens in inventive and potentially horrifying ways just keeps on giving :allears:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So with Mad Castle thankfully over with, figured I'd share a couple tidbits from when I was putting together this last update. The first being that I had an idea for an alternate banner that wasn't a boss quote, but rather...well, I think you can see the obvious reasoning behind it.

Alas, I felt keeping poo poo consistent would be better in the long run. Maybe if I had gone with a different theme from the start like quotes from Proops and Dimaggio I would've gone with this.
That said, I won't lie that I derived some stupidly silly pleasure out of pasting those two's heads onto Elise's breasts.

Second piece I have to share is a recorded line of commentary that triggered in a way that I could not slot it into actual video. Depending on certain factors like dying or doing boring kills you get a comment of your performance when you hit the results screen. Typically they're pretty short, and the reasoning behind them triggering is random, but this one I got went on for 25 seconds and amused me enough that I felt I should save it. I'm certainly not gonna sit on the results screen in future videos that long just to fit it in, so here you go.

Looking forward to recording the rest of the playthrough now that I've adjusted to my new work schedule and the game is starting to pick back up again. Oh wait, not quite yet. There's the first level of Area 66 I have to go through. THEN it will pick back up. Still, I'm just excited to rewatch my favorite set of cutscenes in the next section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Goddamn the commentary is just so so good in this game.

If they'd managed to code a line in saying that it couldn't repeat it would be the best.

Also chiming in to say that this LP is frequently a highlight of my day.

• Locked thread