Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Explain Madworld
Madworld was developed by Platinum Games and published by SEGA in early 2009 for the Wii. A hyper violent brawler with a distinct visual look and blood sport setup akin to the Running Man, it’s one of the better uses of motion controls on the system. There was quite a big deal made about it around the time when people doubted whether Nintendo’s then current system was worth owning by core gamers after the previous year and Sega was publishing games to appeal to those sets of people (House of the Dead Overkill released around the same time period for context). It was also the first released game by Platinum, who at the time had only formed not too long after the shutdown of Clover in 2006. The pedigree behind the studio was more than enough reason to give this game some attention regardless of its platform, and looking at shots of it in action you could tell that this was carrying on that same Clover feel.

The game was received fairly positively at release, but nowhere near that of their later output. It kinda gets overshadowed by titles like Bayonetta and Vanquish, and sometimes gets a bit harsher critique when compared to the aforementioned big titles. For what it’s worth, it’s still better than Korra or Ninja Turtles. Not amazing, but not mediocre.

Personally this game has a pretty big spot in my heart just because this was Platinum's first game and it oozes with amazing style and presentation. What this game may lack in gameplay variety and depth, it makes up for it with its black and white comic book aesthetic, its hip hop soundtrack, and an intriguing story written by Yasumi Matsuno of FF Tactics and Vagrant Story fame. And it’s really good! Like, literally better than every other story done by Platinum internal. Except maybe Wonderful 101, that was good too.

Doesn’t This Game Already Have Commentary Built In?
Yes, as this game’s basic premise is that you compete in a violent game show, there are play by play commentators that make banter about your performance during the game. These two commentators are voiced by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, and their dynamic is pretty fantastic to say the least.

However, just like any play by play commentary in a video game, it is prone to the same common problem of there being only so much recorded dialogue, and while it is plentiful and played during the right situations, hearing the same gag repeated ad nauseam really does put a damper on things. Especially when this game’s sound channels tend to blend a lot and make things difficult to hear. Between the sound effects, music with vocals, and these two chucklefucks it can become something of a cacophony without adjusting the sound settings yourself.

That said, my approach for this LP is to take all the commentary tracks, recorded on a separate file with everything else turned down, and sync them up to gameplay to utilize their comedic qualities and avoid repeats. With this setup, hopefully you will be given the optimal viewing experience of this game with the sounds of thugs impaled rear end first on a spike, rapping about murder, obscene comedic commentary about murder, and my own insight on how to best murder a poor motherfucker for big money. Yes, there’s gonna be a lot of murder, if you couldn’t tell. Stay tuned, DeathWatchers!

The Deathwatch Rankings (Contents)

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

An entire city cut off from the rest of the world. The residents forced into a twisted game of death and carnage. Broadcasted to the rich and famous via ShockTV, it’s survival of the fittest for everyone participating.

A single contestant enters the stage with an agenda, shrouded in mystery. With a chainsaw strapped to his arm, he sets out for the top. He’s known as…Jack. Just Jack.

Let the games begin…after this extended tutorial.

Venue

Soundtrack
Body That – Ox

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress yes I love Madworld and it gets a bad rap for no good reason. This game is so fun, even if there's really not as much combo potential as the game thinks there is.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After seeing some of Platinum's other games, I always wanted to see this one. This should be interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is going to be fun.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This game, while short and, yes, prone to the occasional stretch of repetitive dialog towards the end of a given level, just oozes style, and the gameplay is fantastic, some of the best use of motion controls on the Wii, I'd go so far as to say it's flat-out the best use by a third-party developer that I'm aware of. I don't understand at all how it could have gotten a bad rap, outside of people just liking to poo poo on the Wii and its games because that was the popular thing to do for a while.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I also love this game. It's story is a lot deeper than it initially comes off as, which is surprising in this genre. As for the reviews on the game's graphic gore content, all of its excessive blood and violence comes off way too cartoony to be taken seriously. I would've liked to have seen this game multi-platformed, but then again, the Wii had a rather...unique....control scheme.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
The burning question of Let's Plays is "How the hell do you LP MadWorld?"

I think, sir, you have done it. Excellent first episode and I'll be following with interest.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Skippy Granola posted:

I think, sir, you have done it. Excellent first episode and I'll be following with interest.

I agree. Subtitle LPs are an underrated and underappreciated format, but work extremely well for games where you want video, but don't want to ruin some part of the game by talking over it (in this case, the commentary, but really atmospheric horror games and the like also work better with subtitles, I'd say).

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Never played this game but I've been waiting for someone to LP it. It has a great soundtrack!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

EclecticTastes posted:

This game, while short and, yes, prone to the occasional stretch of repetitive dialog towards the end of a given level, just oozes style, and the gameplay is fantastic, some of the best use of motion controls on the Wii, I'd go so far as to say it's flat-out the best use by a third-party developer that I'm aware of. I don't understand at all how it could have gotten a bad rap, outside of people just liking to poo poo on the Wii and its games because that was the popular thing to do for a while.
Yeah, it definitely makes extensive use of it and almost never fails on you when it happens. I'd put Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Red Steel 2 up there with it for best uses of the controls by 3rd parties. Well, maybe Red Steel 2 could be a in a slightly different category since that is Wii Motion Plus. But still, it's proof that you could make it engaging when you know the limitations of the interface and put some thought into it.

Skippy Granola posted:

Thanks. I felt very good about going this route, especially after an LP of Metal Wolf and realizing that subtitles worked especially well for that game because of its "amazing" voice work.
I actually contemplated maybe talking as well as getting another person to co commentate, especially since I was chopping up and editing the in game commentary anyway that I could fill in the dead air. But trying to speak during the moments when Proops and DiMaggio aren't talking would've taken a lot of rehearsal just to get right and make editing take longer. Again like Metal Wolf, I feel this was the right decision.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hey! It's good to see chainsaw Jack back in action again.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Many trains pass through the transport hub that is Varrigan Central Station. You got your passenger trains, spike covered expressways, and a rocket on rails barreling through the tunnels at 120 mph.

But one of these trains carries a very dangerous inmate. A brute of a man who uses his ball and chain to “murdalize” the competition.

His name is Little Eddie. And he is loving big.

Soundtrack
Survival – S.O.U.L Purpose
MAD WORLD – Optimus

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Madworld has one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. Just such great music from end to end.I do wish Platinum would revisit the concept again though (and no, Anarchy Reigns doesn't quite count). Just imagine a game featuring this game's combat and rewards for creativity, crossed with something like, say, Dead Rising.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I have to admit, I REALLY want to play this drat game. But I don't have a Wii and refuse to shell out for what people want for it and this game...but I really enjoy the music. The Final Boss themes in particular are my favorite.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

-There's a cute Bayonetta shout-out before the train comes (That Gates of Hell logo; which is the name of Rodin's bar), though this game was released before Bayo was on the horizon
-Breaking the signs on the train platform allows you to use them as ground spikes.
-Try picking up a guy and then getting as close to a moving train as you can without getting hurt

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

awww yeah I remember when this game came out I had just bought a Wii and was looking for something exclusive that would make good use of the controls and I followed this baby from the start of the ad campaign all the way to, well, the end of the game :v:

For whatever reason I never made the connection that the Platinum Studios that made this is also the Platinum that made every other Platinum game

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
The only game the Wii has ever had that I wished came to a real console so I could play it. Well looking forward to watching this, sounds like your doing a lot of work on the audio to manage Proops and DiMaggio.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yes. Yesss...
I've wanted an LP of this for ages. Partly because I love the game but am meh at it and wanna see someone play it right, and partly because I'm just legit interested in seeing someone tackle the issue of LPing a game that already sort of LPs itself. It's like trying to MST3K an episode of MST3K.

Gonna catch the first video in a second, but kudos to you for even attempting this.

(Also the minimalist use of color and heavy use of contrast is so pretty and works so well and it's a shame only really this, and a few other games - Hatred loving among them - bother to do it.)

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
One thing this game does really well (along with No More Heroes incidentally) is how most of the time, motion controls are gestures of victory, they tend to be finishers or big-damage attacks. And most of the moment-to-moment gameplay is button presses instead. So when you actually do have to use motion controls it almost always feels really good, and you look forward to it. I know I got so into it that when the game called for pulling the nunchuck and wiimote in opposite directions I kept enthusiastically pulling the nunchuck cord out by accident. :3

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

SSNeoman posted:

-There's a cute Bayonetta shout-out before the train comes (That Gates of Hell logo; which is the name of Rodin's bar), though this game was released before Bayo was on the horizon
-Breaking the signs on the train platform allows you to use them as ground spikes.
-Try picking up a guy and then getting as close to a moving train as you can without getting hurt
I genuinely never new about that second point. You mean like attacking it as opposed to just pulling the post out of the ground? That's interesting.

FrankZP posted:

One thing this game does really well (along with No More Heroes incidentally) is how most of the time, motion controls are gestures of victory, they tend to be finishers or big-damage attacks. And most of the moment-to-moment gameplay is button presses instead. So when you actually do have to use motion controls it almost always feels really good, and you look forward to it. I know I got so into it that when the game called for pulling the nunchuck and wiimote in opposite directions I kept enthusiastically pulling the nunchuck cord out by accident. :3
Yeah, and the motions the game looks for is actually a lot simpler than the on screen prompts would lead you to believe. Considering this was before Motion Plus came out, it's definitely a good thing that it's only looking for ANY motion with regards to vertical movement, horizontal movement, continuous movement, or rapid shaking. Any more than that, and there would be a ton more failed inputs.

And yeah, what I just described might seem like it shatters the illusion of any depth with this control system, but like you said, it all goes back to them being finishers and because they're so satisfying to watch you buy into that illusion right away and do what your mind thinks is the right motion. And it works. Wonderfully.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ArclightBorealis posted:

I genuinely never new about that second point. You mean like attacking it as opposed to just pulling the post out of the ground? That's interesting.

No it's those bilboard signs that stand on two posts ont he train platfroms. You can punch them or throw dudes through them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I couldn't bring myself to buy this even as a Yasumi Matsuno fan, and his involvement is the only thing giving me hope that this will turn out to be less braindead than it looks. I really don't know what to make of this game so far.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Never got around to playing this one, looks very nice. I love the visual style, the soundtrack is awesome, and the narrator banter is fun stuff. It does seem like the combat is a bit easy and repetitive so far though. Looking forward to more.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Downtown is nothing like what it used to be in Varrigan City. A hot bed of gang violence, it's also home to many lethal traps and twisted parlor games.

But it's nothing compared to the Brokest Back in the West. A deadly gunslinger standing in Jack's way to victory in this urban playground of mayhem.

His name? Jude the Dude. The Ambiguosly Gay Cowboy (not his official title).

Venue

Soundtrack
Come With It - Doujah Raze

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Here is that rejected finisher mentioned in the video,in case anyone wants to see for themselves. Also,I gotta get the obligatory Ogrewatch joke outta the way-It's High Noon.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I like to think that BB has a stash of extra lives, just because he's the one being turned into the Bloodbath Challenge test dummy. Or he stole a Vita Chamber from Bioshock, either way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Here is that rejected finisher mentioned in the video,in case anyone wants to see for themselves. Also,I gotta get the obligatory Ogrewatch joke outta the way-It's High Noon.

And it's also why Howard says "Jack just discovered a new cure for hemorrhoids" when you initiate the finisher.

I like the updated finisher way more though. That B button prompt :allears:

The daggers also have a neat-o launcher and a follow up combo + finisher. I have a hell of a time getting it to work though :(

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 21, 2016

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Kemix posted:

I like to think that BB has a stash of extra lives, just because he's the one being turned into the Bloodbath Challenge test dummy. Or he stole a Vita Chamber from Bioshock, either way.
My personal theory is that all of these Black Barons we see are just stunt doubles with the Baron himself dubbing over them in post. It's at least a good justification for why the lip synching is never always perfect. And the Black Baron (stop staring) would never let his girl kill him unless he was an impostor.

SSNeoman posted:

I like the updated finisher way more though. That B button prompt :allears:

The daggers also have a neat-o launcher and a follow up combo + finisher. I have a hell of a time getting it to work though :(
For me, it's the shaking to replicate the gun's recoil that makes it satisfying. It just keeps going and gets faster and faster. Like, back when I gave somewhat of a poo poo for IGN's reviews, I remember the video review for Madworld had that at the end and it's what pushed my excitement for this game over the edge.

And yeah, the daggers are really sweet and that air finisher is very hard to initiate. Just because of staying in the air, mashing A, and then knowing to hit B immediately before that extra hit or two kills them.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm impressed you managed to show off this game in a manner that won't annoy the viewers, especially right at the end of each BBC, where it's the same lines every single time. Best of luck to you and I hope you can show everything off.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Jade Star posted:

The only game the Wii has ever had that I wished came to a real console so I could play it.

I can't decide if playing this game with a Kinect would be an improvement or a fate worse than death.

Does Dolphin utilize the motion sensors of a Wii remote connected to a computer by Bluetooth well enough to be able to play this game like it's supposed to?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
HOLY poo poo THAT FINISHER

That was awesome. So awesome that I, alone, in my house, said out loud "Holy poo poo, that was awesome."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shot that bastard so hard his skin and flesh exploded off, that's pretty impressive.

A Bystander posted:

I'm impressed you managed to show off this game in a manner that won't annoy the viewers, especially right at the end of each BBC, where it's the same lines every single time. Best of luck to you and I hope you can show everything off.

Yeah, it's a shame that the actual game itself is such a clusterfuck of audio balancing and repeated jokes and stuff. This LP is doing a really good job at polishing the sloppiness out of the presentation, I would love to play the game the way it's been presented here.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The Red Line Highway, a stretch of road that has seen many traffic accidents during its time. Only now has that number skyrocketed with the introduction of road warriors looking to do more than just tailgate.

Jack's goal lies at the end of this road, leading into the outskirts of Varrigan City. But not before staring down the bass guitarist of the Windbreakers and professional killseeker Von Twirlenkiller himself.

Let the hurricane of puns commence!

Venue

Soundtrack
Get It Up - Ox
Bang - Ox

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love this fight both because it's cool and because of the announcers. Goddamn those wind puns.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God I love when dimaggio gets a VA spot. Guy always takes the cake with his delivery. He plays very well off his co-commentator here as well, shame we'll probably never see a Madworld 2. Seriously wish this could have come to a real console over the Wii, would probably play well on PS3 or Xbox 360

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'll admit,I barely remember this fight,but the one coming up next is where the game really started to shine for me.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Greg Proops needs to be in more video games

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kemix posted:

God I love when dimaggio gets a VA spot. Guy always takes the cake with his delivery. He plays very well off his co-commentator here as well, shame we'll probably never see a Madworld 2. Seriously wish this could have come to a real console over the Wii, would probably play well on PS3 or Xbox 360

The visceral feel of murdering the poo poo outta enemies using the motion controls is a large part of the fun. Besides, No More Heroes: Hero's Paradise (a port of No More Heroes from the Wii to the consoles that didn't sell as well) was pretty bad, as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mediocre level, but definitely a contender for Best Boss Name Ever.

EclecticTastes posted:

The visceral feel of murdering the poo poo outta enemies using the motion controls is a large part of the fun. Besides, No More Heroes: Hero's Paradise (a port of No More Heroes from the Wii to the consoles that didn't sell as well) was pretty bad, as I recall.

The port itself was actually okay, just that the game itself felt pretty empty. They added a fair amount, like extra bosses from the sequel, but at the end of the day, you're still grinding for cash by playing unfun minigames, in a city that's empty save for those games and the occasional dumpster. People were hoping they'd beef it up, pad it out, but they didn't. So in that respect, yeah, it's a pretty lackluster port.

• Locked thread