Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Explain Madworld
Madworld was developed by Platinum Games and published by SEGA in early 2009 for the Wii. A hyper violent brawler with a distinct visual look and blood sport setup akin to the Running Man, it’s one of the better uses of motion controls on the system. There was quite a big deal made about it around the time when people doubted whether Nintendo’s then current system was worth owning by core gamers after the previous year and Sega was publishing games to appeal to those sets of people (House of the Dead Overkill released around the same time period for context). It was also the first released game by Platinum, who at the time had only formed not too long after the shutdown of Clover in 2006. The pedigree behind the studio was more than enough reason to give this game some attention regardless of its platform, and looking at shots of it in action you could tell that this was carrying on that same Clover feel.

The game was received fairly positively at release, but nowhere near that of their later output. It kinda gets overshadowed by titles like Bayonetta and Vanquish, and sometimes gets a bit harsher critique when compared to the aforementioned big titles. For what it’s worth, it’s still better than Korra or Ninja Turtles. Not amazing, but not mediocre.

Personally this game has a pretty big spot in my heart just because this was Platinum's first game and it oozes with amazing style and presentation. What this game may lack in gameplay variety and depth, it makes up for it with its black and white comic book aesthetic, its hip hop soundtrack, and an intriguing story written by Yasumi Matsuno of FF Tactics and Vagrant Story fame. And it’s really good! Like, literally better than every other story done by Platinum internal. Except maybe Wonderful 101, that was good too.

Doesn’t This Game Already Have Commentary Built In?
Yes, as this game’s basic premise is that you compete in a violent game show, there are play by play commentators that make banter about your performance during the game. These two commentators are voiced by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, and their dynamic is pretty fantastic to say the least.

However, just like any play by play commentary in a video game, it is prone to the same common problem of there being only so much recorded dialogue, and while it is plentiful and played during the right situations, hearing the same gag repeated ad nauseam really does put a damper on things. Especially when this game’s sound channels tend to blend a lot and make things difficult to hear. Between the sound effects, music with vocals, and these two chucklefucks it can become something of a cacophony without adjusting the sound settings yourself.

That said, my approach for this LP is to take all the commentary tracks, recorded on a separate file with everything else turned down, and sync them up to gameplay to utilize their comedic qualities and avoid repeats. With this setup, hopefully you will be given the optimal viewing experience of this game with the sounds of thugs impaled rear end first on a spike, rapping about murder, obscene comedic commentary about murder, and my own insight on how to best murder a poor motherfucker for big money. Yes, there’s gonna be a lot of murder, if you couldn’t tell. Stay tuned, DeathWatchers!

The Deathwatch Rankings (Contents)

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

An entire city cut off from the rest of the world. The residents forced into a twisted game of death and carnage. Broadcasted to the rich and famous via ShockTV, it’s survival of the fittest for everyone participating.

A single contestant enters the stage with an agenda, shrouded in mystery. With a chainsaw strapped to his arm, he sets out for the top. He’s known as…Jack. Just Jack.

Let the games begin…after this extended tutorial.

Venue

Soundtrack
Body That – Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

EclecticTastes posted:

This game, while short and, yes, prone to the occasional stretch of repetitive dialog towards the end of a given level, just oozes style, and the gameplay is fantastic, some of the best use of motion controls on the Wii, I'd go so far as to say it's flat-out the best use by a third-party developer that I'm aware of. I don't understand at all how it could have gotten a bad rap, outside of people just liking to poo poo on the Wii and its games because that was the popular thing to do for a while.
Yeah, it definitely makes extensive use of it and almost never fails on you when it happens. I'd put Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Red Steel 2 up there with it for best uses of the controls by 3rd parties. Well, maybe Red Steel 2 could be a in a slightly different category since that is Wii Motion Plus. But still, it's proof that you could make it engaging when you know the limitations of the interface and put some thought into it.

Skippy Granola posted:

The burning question of Let's Plays is "How the hell do you LP MadWorld?"

I think, sir, you have done it. Excellent first episode and I'll be following with interest.
Thanks. I felt very good about going this route, especially after an LP of Metal Wolf and realizing that subtitles worked especially well for that game because of its "amazing" voice work.
I actually contemplated maybe talking as well as getting another person to co commentate, especially since I was chopping up and editing the in game commentary anyway that I could fill in the dead air. But trying to speak during the moments when Proops and DiMaggio aren't talking would've taken a lot of rehearsal just to get right and make editing take longer. Again like Metal Wolf, I feel this was the right decision.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Many trains pass through the transport hub that is Varrigan Central Station. You got your passenger trains, spike covered expressways, and a rocket on rails barreling through the tunnels at 120 mph.

But one of these trains carries a very dangerous inmate. A brute of a man who uses his ball and chain to “murdalize” the competition.

His name is Little Eddie. And he is loving big.

Soundtrack
Survival – S.O.U.L Purpose
MAD WORLD – Optimus

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

SSNeoman posted:

-There's a cute Bayonetta shout-out before the train comes (That Gates of Hell logo; which is the name of Rodin's bar), though this game was released before Bayo was on the horizon
-Breaking the signs on the train platform allows you to use them as ground spikes.
-Try picking up a guy and then getting as close to a moving train as you can without getting hurt
I genuinely never new about that second point. You mean like attacking it as opposed to just pulling the post out of the ground? That's interesting.

FrankZP posted:

One thing this game does really well (along with No More Heroes incidentally) is how most of the time, motion controls are gestures of victory, they tend to be finishers or big-damage attacks. And most of the moment-to-moment gameplay is button presses instead. So when you actually do have to use motion controls it almost always feels really good, and you look forward to it. I know I got so into it that when the game called for pulling the nunchuck and wiimote in opposite directions I kept enthusiastically pulling the nunchuck cord out by accident. :3
Yeah, and the motions the game looks for is actually a lot simpler than the on screen prompts would lead you to believe. Considering this was before Motion Plus came out, it's definitely a good thing that it's only looking for ANY motion with regards to vertical movement, horizontal movement, continuous movement, or rapid shaking. Any more than that, and there would be a ton more failed inputs.

And yeah, what I just described might seem like it shatters the illusion of any depth with this control system, but like you said, it all goes back to them being finishers and because they're so satisfying to watch you buy into that illusion right away and do what your mind thinks is the right motion. And it works. Wonderfully.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Downtown is nothing like what it used to be in Varrigan City. A hot bed of gang violence, it's also home to many lethal traps and twisted parlor games.

But it's nothing compared to the Brokest Back in the West. A deadly gunslinger standing in Jack's way to victory in this urban playground of mayhem.

His name? Jude the Dude. The Ambiguosly Gay Cowboy (not his official title).

Venue

Soundtrack
Come With It - Doujah Raze

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Kemix posted:

I like to think that BB has a stash of extra lives, just because he's the one being turned into the Bloodbath Challenge test dummy. Or he stole a Vita Chamber from Bioshock, either way.
My personal theory is that all of these Black Barons we see are just stunt doubles with the Baron himself dubbing over them in post. It's at least a good justification for why the lip synching is never always perfect. And the Black Baron (stop staring) would never let his girl kill him unless he was an impostor.

SSNeoman posted:

I like the updated finisher way more though. That B button prompt :allears:

The daggers also have a neat-o launcher and a follow up combo + finisher. I have a hell of a time getting it to work though :(
For me, it's the shaking to replicate the gun's recoil that makes it satisfying. It just keeps going and gets faster and faster. Like, back when I gave somewhat of a poo poo for IGN's reviews, I remember the video review for Madworld had that at the end and it's what pushed my excitement for this game over the edge.

And yeah, the daggers are really sweet and that air finisher is very hard to initiate. Just because of staying in the air, mashing A, and then knowing to hit B immediately before that extra hit or two kills them.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The Red Line Highway, a stretch of road that has seen many traffic accidents during its time. Only now has that number skyrocketed with the introduction of road warriors looking to do more than just tailgate.

Jack's goal lies at the end of this road, leading into the outskirts of Varrigan City. But not before staring down the bass guitarist of the Windbreakers and professional killseeker Von Twirlenkiller himself.

Let the hurricane of puns commence!

Venue

Soundtrack
Get It Up - Ox
Bang - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, Anarchy Reigns has a lot of the same characters, but they're not the same 'people', if that makes sense. Think of it like the difference between, say, the movie version of Stargate and the TV series - same characters, different portrayal. Probably the best example is that the Black Baron (stop staring) of this game is a vastly different character in AR than he is here.
The way I like to look at the two games is similar to Devilman and Violence Jack. Series with a clear connection that don't have a huge bearing on the plots of both and put a focus on cameos or re purposing of old characters in a new role. Like, other Platinum games have reused certain characters in multiple games (e.g. Luka in Bayonetta and W101), and I'm only slightly bummed that Max Anarchy didn't lean into that kind of crazy huge crossover more than it did.

You know what, actually I'd play a Violence Jack game in the style of Max Anarchy. That'd be cool.

Skippy Granola posted:

Either way, I'd be a happy man if my own LP commentary could be half as punchy as Proops and DiMaggio.
I'm fine with not being as funny as those two. If anything, I'd pay big money to have the Whose Line crew do commentary on anything I'd play. Would probably lead to some fun dumb moments.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

With the Red Line Highway behind him, Jack sets foot into the exotic and ethnically questionable settlement of Asian Town. Within Great Wall Street, many new killing tools await in the narrow alleyways of this cultural mish mash.

3 Orbs seek to be collected. Mystery meat buns are prepared on a regular basis. And the boss of this little slice of the Orient is a deadly kung fu queen with two giganitc fans that will cut you to ribbons.

Rin Rin lies in wait, anxious for her new prey.

Venue

Soundtrack
Ain't That Funny - Sick YG
You Don't Know Me - Bandy Leggz

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Towering over all of Asian Town is a luxurious bistro that has seen many tourists and customers in its day. Now like everything else, it has been transformed into a vicious gauntlet for DeathWatch contestants.

Three beautiful geishas are eager to be rescued. Ninjas hide in beneath the tatami mats and in the ceiling. Deep friend human tempura is served on a regular basis.

All of this ruled over by the mighty Shogun. It's a literal fight to the top for Jack in this tower of pain and pleasure.

Venue

Soundtrack
Let's Go - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Jade Star posted:

I loving love the haikus in this level.
The only unfortunate part is that the first and third one didn't trigger during my recording of the commentary, so I had to dig through this soundboard to get the missing ones because I could not leave that gag unfulfilled.

Also discovering that someone compiled the majority of commentary audio from the game and put it in a soundboard made my day and was a major part of convincing me to do the LP in this format. Though I decided I'd save that resource as a back up for situations where I didn't get the exact kind of dialogue I wanted. Otherwise, I'm pulling the audio from the game myself so I have a better sense of where it should be placed in the video.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The street's been conquered and the bistro set ablaze. Jack's final destination in Asian Town is the Sumo Arena, a popular spot for spectators of all manner of competition.

To honor the spirit of this Arena, DeathWatch has arranged for Jack to fight an opponent in a Sumo Wrestling match. Against a man of unbreakable will and impervious to all manner of damage.

Yokozuna awaits a worthy opponent.

Venue

Soundtrack
Death and Honour - Wordsmith

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I'm not one to think a piece of entertainment could conspire to prevent me from accomplishing something, but the first level of the Mad Castle section of the game seemed to be pretty intent on making me fumble my way through it when recording. After three attempts over the past week and a half, I'm sticking with what I have now regardless of how lovely my play was. I didn't game over, and that's what counts. DeathWatch will resume this weekend.

On the plus side, I finally got a second job to get me some more consistent pay. Life's not all bad.

FrankZP posted:

I like how quiet, low-key and downright somber the cutscenes are. I think one could make the argument that they're at odds with the meat of the game, but given how frenetic and cluttered the action is when you're actually playing, the opportunity to take a breather and switch mental gears for a few minutes between levels is absolutely welcome.
Same here. It's kinda funny that it happens right as the gameplay part starts to get a bit worse, but Noa's introduction in that flashback is something I like because it adds even more gravity to the situation that Jefferson Island has been put in. Plus his voice has such a great, sinister tone to it.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The Mad Castle, a massive estate imported from Eastern Europe is the next stage in the Varrigan City Deathwatch games. Not even the undead can faze Jack as he continues his ascent up the rankings.

Death itself waits to lop off any heads when they least expect it, and a gentlemen's game of Man Golf is the primary past time of this castle's twisted residents.

But tonight, on this full moon, the Shamans are out for blood. Let's get crazy.

Venue

Soundtrack
Crazy - Doujah Raze

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I don't think Howard's even into playing golf, at least not the way the game's actually meant to be played anyway. Hell, same probably goes for Kreese, and we know what both of those two really enjoy in life.

Anyway, I'm stuck contemplating what I want to do with the next level regarding the DeathWatch Challenge. I've been wanting to show them off as they appear in the campaign, but the next one I remember being especially time consuming. Like a lot of prep work and the result being points that would possibly jump me straight to the BB Challenge and then the Boss after that. Plus it's the second to last one that will appear at the pace we're going, last one being in the fourth major area.

I'm not really looking to go for a completionist playthrough with this game since video and audio editing can only do so much to make this game's core gameplay be more interesting than it is, but I want to show off as much as I can as thing come up. So DeathWatchers, do you or do you not care to see me try and stab 5 lamp posts through a mini boss's skull while zombies repeatedly try and claw at my rear end in a top hat?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack's made it past the front gates of the castle and found his way into the estate's dungeon. Full of numerous torture devices and bad science experiments.

Many obstacles stand in the way to keep Jack from reaching the mayor's daughter. From zombies, to drillers, and all manner of razor sharp blades sticking out from floors and ceilings.

But to get out of this dungeon requires going deeper down. Down into the den of a monstrous DeathWatch contestant...

Venue

Soundtrack
Deathwatch - Doujah Raze

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack's last stop before finding the mayor's daughter is an ancient cathedral at the far end of the castle grounds. Only he's not looking for salvation, but for a target.

Vermin nest inside the condemned walls of this sanctuary, but the meanest of them all is a swarm of bats controlled by a sultry and very dangerous succubus.

Pain and pleasure are all she gives to anyone that crosses her path. It's time for her to feast.

Venue

Soundtrack
Crimson Rain - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So with Mad Castle thankfully over with, figured I'd share a couple tidbits from when I was putting together this last update. The first being that I had an idea for an alternate banner that wasn't a boss quote, but rather...well, I think you can see the obvious reasoning behind it.

Alas, I felt keeping poo poo consistent would be better in the long run. Maybe if I had gone with a different theme from the start like quotes from Proops and Dimaggio I would've gone with this.
That said, I won't lie that I derived some stupidly silly pleasure out of pasting those two's heads onto Elise's breasts.

Second piece I have to share is a recorded line of commentary that triggered in a way that I could not slot it into actual video. Depending on certain factors like dying or doing boring kills you get a comment of your performance when you hit the results screen. Typically they're pretty short, and the reasoning behind them triggering is random, but this one I got went on for 25 seconds and amused me enough that I felt I should save it. I'm certainly not gonna sit on the results screen in future videos that long just to fit it in, so here you go.

Looking forward to recording the rest of the playthrough now that I've adjusted to my new work schedule and the game is starting to pick back up again. Oh wait, not quite yet. There's the first level of Area 66 I have to go through. THEN it will pick back up. Still, I'm just excited to rewatch my favorite set of cutscenes in the next section.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

With Naomi Ann Borris' "rescue" completed and her father to soon face incarceration, Jack continues his way through Jefferson Island and the remaining gauntlets set up by DeathWatch. The latest of them being a hidden military installation that has been kept secret from the public until the island's take over.

Getting to the heart of the base on foot is out of the question, leaving Jack little option but to drive through the many aliens and cyborgs left to guard it. But DeathWatch Control has become worried of Jack's motives and intend to do more to stop him.

The only way to stand up against a rogue contestant with a chainsaw arm is to have him ram against himself. Violently.

Venue

Soundtrack
Move - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

SSNeoman posted:

It was like watching the dullest, most violent masturbation the world's ever seen!
:smuggo: heh, this is nothing...

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack makes it to the heart of Area 66, where all manner of top secret military weapons and alien technology is stored, and every single facet has been re purposed for the Death Watch games.

It's a dense, compact zone where aliens run freely, massive rocket engines are test fired haphazardly, and an airlock that connects into space (?) remains open to dispose of unwanted materials.

There's plenty of new killing tools for Jack to let loose with, but he won't be allowed to leave as long as the Masters are still standing. It's a two on one fight for a spot in the top 5 rankings.

Venue

Soundtrack
It's a Mad World - Sick YG

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Jack finds himself face to face with the 2nd ranked contestant on Death Watch. A massive, alien controlled robot with huge guns and armor that's as tough as steel. Toppling this metal warrior will put Jack right below the current reigning champion.

Meanwhile, DeathWatch Control's ongoing investigations into Jack's agenda has led to some startling revelations. His reasons aren't for personal glory, or to save anyone. They're much more serious. And Noa realizes this all too well.

The games are steadily reaching their conclusion. Jack can't rest until he's out of the Robot Factory and en route to the final stage.

Venue

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Casino Land. The final stop on the road to fame in glory in DeathWatch. The Strip is designed to give contestants a little taste of Sin City while partaking in the mayhem the games have to offer.

Everything here is just a mild distraction for Jack. The goal lies at the top of the tower, looming high over the Strip and the rest of the island. #1 is waiting for a shot at the true champ the people had long forgotten.

The former three time DeathWatch champion: Jack Cayman. The audience is waiting with great anticipation.

Venue

Soundtrack
Ride - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

The last obstacle in Jack's way before facing the champion is ascending a massive tower to the arena situated up top. Determined to keep him from getting there, DeathWatch has prepared one last challenge.

An onslaught of familiar foes, with familiar death traps, all confined to a high speed elevator platform. Foes like Big Bull Crocker, Yee Fung, and Tengu return to settle the score with Jack and ensure he gains a publicized, profitable end to his life.

But before Jack can cross the finish line, he is interrupted by an old acquaintance...

Venue

Soundtrack
Breathe - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Dinictus posted:

I'm more surprised we actually have 13 out of the woodworks. And Luca at the top with DeathWatch. This game has quite some surprising plot going to it.
It's Leo, but man if only they had planned way back to have a different version of Luka in every Platinum game besides Bayo and Wonderful 101. Game companies need more Go Nagai style recycling/re purposing of characters, I feel.

Final part (not counting a short, bonus video with post game stuff) will be up tomorrow night. I can hope you'll all be pleased with the result.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

(Video)

Thank you for watching.

Soundtrack
Look Pimpin! - Sick YG
So Cold - Ox
Soul - Ox

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

VolticSurge posted:

Remember that video I promised to show the thread a while back? Here it is.
Some parts of the ordering I would've changed myself (Frank at dead last, Yokozuna in the top 5, little nit picks here and there). But he still put Black Baron at #1 so that dude's alright.

Skippy Granola posted:

Arc, I said it before but you done good, son. I've thoroughly enjoyed the LP and I want to thank you. This has earned a :five: from me
Thanks. I do feel really glad about doing this and that I came onto a format that really did this game justice. I mean this whole thing was just something I did to give myself a break from Metal Wolf and try something different, and I got way more into it than originally expected.

Speaking of Metal Wolf, gonna have to bump that thread up again soon. I feel thoroughly refreshed and ready to close the lid on that one. But first, gotta show off that post game stuff for this game (which is admittedly not that much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

But wait...

THERE'S MORE!!

The promised bonus video. No new commentary from Howard and Kreese, considering it was during older levels and most of the relevant stuff they've said we already heard. One thing I didn't have time to explain in the video regarding hard mode is that you don't start back at square one on the rankings and have to work your way back through the game normally. After completing a game you get a choice of starting again on either normal or hard, and on both you retain your rank, high scores, and completed DW Challenges.

Also I didn't show off the multiplayer, which is just a competition involving the various Bloodbath Challenges, modified to allow for two players at once. But, reason for not featuring it is because it's local multiplayer and no one's gonna sit down to play this mode with me (as a lonely man in his early 20s with no friends to rope into this poo poo), plus it wouldn't be very good viewing for me to have player 2 just standing there doing nothing. Besides, there's nothing else special beyond what I described. It's very much a tacked on feature.

And with all that out of the way, this poo poo is ready to go to the archives. This whole thing has been a blast to do. Except Mad Castle. gently caress that place forever.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 15, 2016

• Locked thread