Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Air is lava! posted:

You're the voice of your nation.
Was that even on there? I didn't notice it.

Strangely yeah it was on there a couple times. I think I voted for one because it was the only way to get to 3 things I'd actually seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So I wanna submit some stumps of my own to get things rolling here, and I'm gonna start with one that won't require me to write too much. When Larry David was set to host SNL, fans got excited -- obviously because of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but also because he had appeared a couple of times earlier in the season with a killer Bernie Sanders impression.

We were so focused on that, nobody was prepared for him to introduce Kevin Roberts.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Most of my noms/votes were obvious candidates, but I do have one that I'll stump for: Holly Taylor as Paige Jennings, The Americans, Best Supporting Drama Actress.

It's exceedingly rare for even the highest-quality shows to handle child/teen characters well. The world of TV fiction is a world of superhuman nannies and babysitters, generous neighbors, and self-reliant teens who have no interest in their parents' odd behavior (The Americans itself has fallen victim to this in the past with the son Henry conveniently disappearing whenever the plot demands it). Often they are little more than moody plot devices just waiting to be kidnapped or go missing or anything else that might kill a little time before it's time for the finale action and they disappear again. Still more often, they are simply bad actors.

Thus, when The Americans began putting older daughter Paige in a more central position to the plot, there was some understandable trepidation on the part of the viewing audience, myself included. And while it's a tribute to the writers and creative forces behind the show that her newfound prominence was handled wonderfully, a great deal of credit must also go to the actress portraying her, Holly Taylor. Beginning with the religion storyline and proceeding on through learning the truth about her parents and ultimately becoming more like them, she began to show off her emotional range and make a great performance out of what could have been a disaster in less capable hands.

She has some tough competition in that category, including from her own co-star Alison Wright, but I would encourage you to consider nominating her. Not only for the pure quality of her performance, but as an acknowledgment that in a show filled with intense drama and high-stakes espionage, Paige's story was often as compelling as anything else on screen.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
[quote="DivisionPost" post=""462700862"]
We were so focused on that, nobody was prepared for him to introduce Kevin Roberts.
[/quote]

Hey! Can a bitch get a donut? (Vote Larry David y'all)

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Jamie McShane's performance as Bloodline's Eric O'Bannon is probably going to be overlooked in the Best Supporting Actor category, which is a shame, because no one did a better job this year elevating mediocre material. The work he does in the season finale is the clearest example, but throughout the season he takes a role that might have blended into the background and gives it this nervy, damaged-but-sympathetic energy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So now that the second season of You're the Worst is on Hulu, let's talk about Aya Cash.

Cash plays our female lead, Gretchen Cutler: a sharp, sarcastic trainwreck who ends up being a brilliant counterbalance for Chris Geere's lovably pompous writer douche Jimmy Shive-Overly. Cash has been fantastic even before this season; just from a comic perspective, she clearly operates at a high level, and she does a tremendous job grounding her character's awful behavior in sympathetic insecurities.

This year, she took it to a whole new level when the scripts started paying closer attention to what made Gretchen tick. It didn't hurt that Stephen Falk and company know how to write clinical depression in a way that mostly fits the tone of the show (some would argue that it got too heavy by the end), but Cash sure as hell knew how to play it. Moments like her freakout at the end of "There Is Not Currently a Problem," her tragic fixation on her neighbors during "LCD Soundsystem," and the utter lack of fucks she gives when she and her clients are ambushed after a radio interview during "A Rapidly Mutating Virus" ring utterly, uncomfortably true. Her performance is a big part of why You're the Worst has a shot at being one of television's all time great romantic comedies.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

DivisionPost posted:

So now that the second season of You're the Worst is on Hulu, let's talk about Aya Cash.

Cash plays our female lead, Gretchen Cutler: a sharp, sarcastic trainwreck who ends up being a brilliant counterbalance for Chris Geere's lovably pompous writer douche Jimmy Shive-Overly. Cash has been fantastic even before this season; just from a comic perspective, she clearly operates at a high level, and she does a tremendous job grounding her character's awful behavior in sympathetic insecurities.

This year, she took it to a whole new level when the scripts started paying closer attention to what made Gretchen tick. It didn't hurt that Stephen Falk and company know how to write clinical depression in a way that mostly fits the tone of the show (some would argue that it got too heavy by the end), but Cash sure as hell knew how to play it. Moments like her freakout at the end of "There Is Not Currently a Problem," her tragic fixation on her neighbors during "LCD Soundsystem," and the utter lack of fucks she gives when she and her clients are ambushed after a radio interview during "A Rapidly Mutating Virus" ring utterly, uncomfortably true. Her performance is a big part of why You're the Worst has a shot at being one of television's all time great romantic comedies.

I really just want to emptyquote this because it cannot be emphasized enough how amazing her performance was in S2 and how it reveals the long-term arc that wasn't apparent except in fits and starts during S1. Between Bojack, Lady Dynamite, CXG, and YTW there's a marked shift towards honesty about the subject of mental illness and for anyone who's experienced it personally or from others in their lives it's been an exhilirating relief to see it treated with nuance and depth. (yes I'm probably forgetting some shows but I don't watch them so nyah)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah her performance was totally overlooked by basically all awards shows. I understand because I went from not ever hearing about the show to watching and loving the whole thing in the space of like a week, but she did such a good job.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All right, guys, I'm shutting the nomination vote down at noon tomorrow. This'll give me some time to run some tiebreak votes before I announce the nominees at 5 PM.

Yep, tiebreak votes. I'm working under new rules that allows the number of nominees per category to be more flexible. One category, for instance, will have five nominees because the 5th place candidate has 9-10 votes while the 6th place candidate has something like four. Other categories will have seven because there's a two-way tie for 6th. In some instances, though, there's like a 3 or 4-way tie which would result in a diluted pool of nominees, so I have to make you guys choose -- even if, by virtue of being in a last place tie, you can assume those guys aren't going to win.

But here's the kicker: Only 46 of you have voted so far. That actually doesn't bother me, because in past events I'd always get a low number of nomination votes and then poo poo would pick up for the final vote. But if more people showed up, that might solve a few problems. So if you haven't voted for nominees yet, do so -- it's a very competitive pool of candidates this year, so it says something about your horse if it stands out. And if you have, tell your favorite TV thread to jump in.

Anyway, here's a quick word about Person of Interest:

Person of Interest had a compressed final year, and the squeeze was felt across the board. But it still had a couple of blockbusters up its sleeve, and "6,741" was one of them; an episode focused on Sameen Shaw's internment and escape from the clutches of Samaritan forces. The episode hinges on a seemingly obvious twist, but the dark, ultimately romantic execution of it brilliantly sets the tone for Sarah Shahi's stellar performance this season as the PTSD and mindfuckery conspire against Shaw's psyche, forcing her to beast through the only way she knows how.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Sorry folks, I had to close the ballot ten minutes early because I was asked at the last minute to help my brother move. I've got a little time before I go, so I'm gonna finish setting up the final ballot, and then hopefully I can announce the nominees before I leave.

I'll say this: plenty of opportunities to claim that someone was robbed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And the nominees are...

LEGACY CATEGORIES

The Python Medal for Comedic Legacy
  • Chappelle's Show
  • Community
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Mr. Show with Bob and David
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000
  • The Office (US)
  • Parks and Recreation

The Lynch Medal for Dramatic Legacy
  • Band of Brothers
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Deadwood
  • Rome
  • The Shield
  • Veronica Mars

PERFORMANCE CATEGORIES

Outstanding Vocal Performance
  • Will Arnett (Bojack Horseman), Bojack Horseman
  • H. Jon Benjamin (Sterling Archer), Archer
  • Dan Mintz (Tina Belcher), Bob's Burgers
  • Trey Parker (Eric Cartman, PC Principal), South Park
  • Justin Roiland (Rick Sanchez, Morty Smith), Rick and Morty
  • Paul F. Tompkins (Mister Peanutbutter), Bojack Horseman
  • Aisha Tyler (Lana Kane), Archer

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy
  • Mark Boone Junior (Pat Brown), The Last Man on Earth, "Pitch Black"
  • Larry David (Host), Saturday Night Live, "Host: Larry David"
  • Jason Mantzoukas (Adrian Pimento), Brooklyn Nine-Nine, "Adrian Pimento"
  • Tracy Morgan (Host), Saturday Night Live, "Host: Tracy Morgan"
  • Martin Mull (Bob Bradley), Veep, "The Eagle"
  • Timothy Olyphant (Timothy Olyphant), The Grinder, "Grinder vs. Grinder"

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy
  • Tina Fey (Dr. Andrea Bayden), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, "Kimmy Meets a Drunk Lady!"
  • Megan Fox (Reagan), New Girl, "Goosebumps Walkaway"
  • Lisa Kudrow (Lori-Anne Schmidt), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, "Kimmy Finds Her Mom!"
  • Kylie Minogue (The Evil Queen of the Enchanted Kingdom), Galavant, "A New Season AKA Suck It Cancellation Bear"
  • Amy Schumer (Host), Saturday Night Live, "Host: Amy Schumer"
  • Jenny Slate (Tally Schifrin), Girls, "Love Stories"

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama
  • Bruce Campbell (Ronald Reagan), Fargo, "The Gift of the Magi"
  • Enrico Colantoni (Carl Elias), Person of Interest, "Sotto Voce"
  • Michael Cristofer (Phillip Price), Mr. Robot, "eps1.9_zer0-day.avi"
  • Vincent D'Onofrio (Wilson Fisk), Daredevil, "The Man in the Box"
  • John Noble (Morland Holmes), Elementary, "The Cost of Doing Business"
  • Max von Sydow (The Three-Eyed Raven), Game of Thrones, "The Door"
  • BD Wong (White Rose), Mr. Robot, "eps1.7_wh1ter0se.mkv"

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama
  • Connie Britton (Faye Resnick), The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, "100% Not Guilty"
  • Ellen Burstyn (Elizabeth Hale), House of Cards, "Chapter 41”
  • Allison Janney (Margaret Scully), Masters of Sex, "Matters of Gravity"
  • Margo Martindale (Claudia), The Americans, "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears"
  • Laurie Metcalf (Sarah Marsh), Horace & Pete, "Episode 3"
  • Molly Parker (Jackie Sharp), House of Cards, "Chapter 45"
  • Carrie Preston (Elsbeth Tascioni), The Good Wife, "Targets"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy
  • Andre Braugher (Cpt. Ray Holt), Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Tituss Burgess (Titus Andromedon), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
  • Tony Hale (Gary Walsh), Veep
  • Keegan-Michael Key (Various), Key & Peele
  • Timothy Simons (Jonah Ryan), Veep
  • Matt Walsh (Mike McLintock), Veep

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy
  • Stephanie Beatriz (Rosa Diaz), Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Anna Chlumsky (Amy Brookheimer), Veep
  • Jamie Lee Curtis (Cathy Munsch), Scream Queens
  • Kether Donohue (Lindsay Jillian), You're the Worst
  • Mallory Jensen (Queen Madalena), Galavant
  • Kate McKinnon (Various), Saturday Night Live

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama
  • Jonathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut), Better Call Saul
  • Jon Bernthal (Frank Castle), Daredevil
  • Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Game of Thrones
  • Christian Slater (Mr. Robot / Edward Alderson), Mr. Robot
  • David Tennant (Zebediah Kilgrave), Jessica Jones
  • Bokeem Woodbine (Mike Milligan), Fargo

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama
  • Gillian Anderson (Bedelia Du Maurier), Hannibal
  • Carly Chaikin (Darlene), Mr. Robot
  • Rhea Seehorn (Kim Wexler), Better Call Saul
  • Sarah Shahi (Sameen Shaw), Person of Interest
  • Jean Smart (Floyd Gerhardt), Fargo
  • Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Game of Thrones

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy
  • Anthony Anderson (Andre "Dre" Johnson, Sr.), Black-ish
  • Aziz Ansari (Dev Shah), Master of None
  • Andy Daly (Forrest MacNeil), Review
  • William H. Macy (Frank Gallagher), Shameless
  • Thomas Middleditch (Richard Hendricks) Silicon Valley
  • Andy Samberg (Jake Peralta), Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy
  • Maria Bamford (Maria), Lady Dynamite
  • Rachel Bloom (Rebecca Bunch), Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  • Aya Cash (Gretchen Cutler), You're the Worst
  • Karen David (Isabella), Galavant
  • Ellie Kemper (Kimmy Schmidt) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Selina Myer), Veep

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama
  • Hugh Dancy (Will Graham), Hannibal
  • Rami Malek (Elliot Alderson), Mr. Robot
  • Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal Lecter), Hannibal
  • Bob Odenkirk (Jimmy McGill), Better Call Saul
  • Courtney B. Vance (Johnnie Cochran), The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
  • Patrick Wilson (Lou Solverson), Fargo

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama
  • Amy Acker (Samantha "Root" Groves), Person of Interest
  • Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers / Supergirl), Supergirl
  • Kirsten Dunst (Peggy Blumquist), Fargo
  • Tatiana Maslany (Various), Orphan Black
  • Sarah Paulson (Marcia Clark), The People vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
  • Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones), Jessica Jones

PRODUCTION CATEGORIES

Outstanding Talk Show
  • Conan
  • The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
  • Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
  • Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
  • The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Outstanding Variety / Sketch Series
  • Drunk History
  • Inside Amy Schumer
  • Key & Peele
  • Nathan For You
  • Saturday Night Live
  • W/ Bob & David

Outstanding Comedy Episode
  • BoJack Horseman, "Escape From L.A." (w. Joe Lawson, d. Ali Winfrey)
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, "That Text Was Not Meant for Josh!" (w. Elisabeth Kiernan Averick, d. Daisy von Scherler Mayer
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs" (w. Hunter Covington, d. Todd Bierman)
  • Master of None, "Parents" (w. Aziz Ansari & Alan Yang, d. Aziz Ansari)
  • Rick and Morty, "Total Rickall" (w. Mike McMahan, d. Juan Meza-Leon)
  • Review, "Cult; Perfect Body" (w. Kevin Dorff, d. Jeffrey Blitz)

Outstanding Drama Episode
  • Daredevil, "New York's Finest" (w. Mark Verheiden, d. Marc Jobst)
  • Game of Thrones, "The Battle of the Bastards" (w. David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, d. Miguel Sapochnik)
  • Jessica Jones, "AKA WWJD?" (w. Scott Reynolds, d. Simon Cellan Jones)
  • Mr. Robot, "eps1.0_hellofriend.mov" (w. Sam Esmail, d. Niels Arden Oplev)
  • Person of Interest, "return 0" (w. Jonathan Nolan & Denise Thé, d. Chris Fisher)
  • Sense8, "What's Going On?" (w. Lana Wachowski, Lily Wachowski, J. Michael Straczynski, d. Tom Tykwer)

Outstanding Comedy Series
  • BoJack Horseman
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  • Rick and Morty
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
  • Veep
  • You're the Worst

Outstanding Drama Series
  • The Americans
  • Better Call Saul
  • Fargo
  • Game of Thrones
  • Jessica Jones
  • Mr. Robot
  • Person of Interest

Go vote for the winners here. I don't know how I'm gonna do it yet, but I'll announce the results next Sunday at 8 ET.

That's all. Don't get captured.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 7, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You forgot Lead Drama Actress.

Also you fucks didn't vote for Sterling K Brown

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hold on I just realized that neither Keri Russell nor Matthew Rhys made the final cut.

I mean, I like Melissa Benoist and think she does a great job, but what the gently caress.

Edit: And The Leftovers got completely shut out? What is this, the Emmys? Come on TVIV!

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 7, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

Hold on I just realized that neither Keri Russell nor Matthew Rhys made the final cut.

Rhys almost made it, but got edged out at the last second. I felt a little bit sick too.

MrAristocrates posted:

You forgot Lead Drama Actress.

No, it's there, I just checked. People are voting for it and everything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

No, it's there, I just checked. People are voting for it and everything.

In your post above.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

In your post above.

Oh for God's sake.

TV IV Awards, everyone. Professional operation, all the way.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
thanks DP you're bejeweled genitals

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Edit: And The Leftovers got completely shut out? What is this, the Emmys? Come on TVIV!

Well it's supposed to be for good TV shows so...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boycotting for no Leftovers (I mean I'll do it later but for right now SUPER TOTALLY BOYCOTTING)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, a little over 24 hours in, and we've got some interesting races shaping up! Five of the categories are tied; one category is a no-poo poo three way tie, while another is so close, there is a tie for first place and a tie for second place, and they're separated by one vote.

Some comments I wanted to address:

quote:

"Felt strange to extend the nomination window but not the eligibility window, especially for Netflix shows" -ShakeZula

I think the eligibility thing would have made a little more sense if I started this in June like I originally planned, and there wasn't such a glut of amazing TV (Stranger Things especially) that dropped while I was waiting for frickin' 13 Monkeys (which, just like X-O foretold, didn't get a single drat nod) to finish up its season. My weak defense is that I'm going by a slightly modified form of Emmy eligibility rules, which I believe are similarly convoluted: Game of Thrones S6 ended in June, but it was eligible for Emmys, whereas Orange is the New Black S4 dropped in the same month, but it won't be eligible until next year.

I don't know. I don't like to deviate from Emmy rules unless it would make life a lot easier -- like I did with treating limited series like regular series -- and while this seems like one of those situations, I also think the time off to breathe and evaluate kinda helps keep the zeitgeist out of it a little. You guys are free to weigh in for yourselves.

(By the way, this ties to another comment that went unaddressed earlier about how some shows just don't have traditional seasons, and in those instances -- though it really fucks with my autistic desire for order -- we just go by whatever aired in the eligibility period.)

quote:

"Why is Keegan-Michael Key a supporting actor? His name is in the title of the show. Honestly the Lead/Supporting divide is waaaaaaaaaaay too rigid, too." -Anonymous

I can't speak to the Lead/Supporting divide, because I'm not quite sure what is meant by that, but Keegan-Michael Key I can speak to with some authority because nobody actually submitted him. The joy of holding back the actual nomination vote until late July is that I can seed each category with candidates pulled from the actual list of Emmy nominees, and Key was one of those. He submitted as a supporting actor, so in the eyes of this thing, he's a supporting actor.

I'll poke a hole in my own argument, though: Transparent was submitted as a comedy and got a few nods that way, and others were submitting it as a drama. I think I ultimately went with The Academy's classification, and I don't remember why, but I'll tell you what: I was really considering listing it as a drama like a few of you wanted. Again, you're all clear to chew me out for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for Toxx to get mad when Jessica Jones sweeps everything :allears:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rarity posted:

I'm still waiting for DP to yell at me for writing in Stranger Things for legacy drama.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

That would be more confusing than anything else since the only good thing about that show was creepy Dr. Who.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BSam posted:

I'm still waiting for DP to yell at me for writing in Stranger Things for legacy drama.

I was too busy cracking up to laugh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Next year I'm gonna find a way to loving vote against Stranger Things, if anyone even still remembers that show by then

Jessica Jones supremacy

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MrAristocrates posted:

Next year I'm gonna find a way to loving vote against Stranger Things, if anyone even still remembers that show by then

Shannon Purser will be nominated for every category, including Outstanding Comedy Series

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Jessica Jones supremacy

I really hope season two comes out in a years time, it's amazing but disallowed by DP. We then struggle to remember anything about season 1 for the poll.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So let's do a mid-week update: This is an awesome loving year, y'all. Response has been a little lighter than I expected so far (so tell your TV nerd friends), but any disappointment is outweighed by the sheer amount of close races and upsets in the making. Here's a quick headcount.

Performance categories:

-Two categories are tied. One category is a three-way tie, the other is a two-way tie with second place not far behind.
-Another category isn't tied at the moment, but it's been neck and neck, with the lead changing multiple times.
-One category is a blowout, getting over 50% of the vote.
-And yet another category, while not a blowout, has had a pretty consistent leader that -- for what it's worth -- shocks the hell out of me, so we're gonna call it a potential upset. There are two other such upsets in the making, in the more traditional sense that the leaders of those categories were among the bottom 3-4 vote getters during the nomination process..

Production categories (including legacy categories):

-One category is tied, with second place not far behind.
-Another is very close.
-And one more is a catastrophic, I-don't-know-why-we-even-bothered blowout.
-Two races are potential upsets -- the current leaders were among the bottom 3-4 nomination vote-getters.

I suspect there's gonna be a lot of salt, and assuming it doesn't get too far out of hand, it should be fun. I'll give you a more detailed look at how the races stand on Saturday night. For now, though, let's answer a couple of comments.

quote:

"Lead/Supporting Divide for Vocal Performances" -Problematic Pigeon

Interesting idea, gets tricky because most of the time cast members play multiple roles across that divide. Think it's best to stick to the Emmy way on this one, unless there are a lot of persuasive arguments for it.

quote:

"I did nominate a reality series, but didn't see anything on the ballots. Not enough traffic on them?" -Phummus

Yeah, only three submissions, one of them being WWE Raw, which...I'm not sure how I should classify it, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be under "Reality." I don't know which one was yours, so for the record, the other two were Battlebots and Alone.

That's all for now. Keep talking and stumping in this thread.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I voted and it wasn't hard because I'd only seen 1 or 2 things in each category, I need to watch more tv I guess. Especially a few shows that turned up everywhere on the ballot.

The only stumper for me was Mr Robot vs Hannibal in the categories where that came up. It's been so long since Hannibal was on though that I think I legacy voted for the show as a whole rather than appropriately rating the final season against its competition.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All right, guys: last call for votes. I don't know when I'm shutting it down, but to be safe, get your votes in by noon ET tomorrow. Of course, if it's after noon and the ballot's open, go ahead and cast a vote. I'll make a post when I close the ballot.

Here's where everything stands:

Python Medal: Clear Favorite (the frontrunner is ahead by a significant margin but holds less than 50% of the vote)

Lynch Medal: Close Race (the frontrunner is ahead by only 1-2 votes)

Vocal Performance: Clear Favorite

Guest Actor, Comedy: Close Race

Guest Actress, Comedy: Blowout (the frontrunner has over half the vote)

Guest Actor, Drama: Barnburner (the top three nominees -- at least -- are all within a couple of votes of each other)

Guest Actress, Drama: Clear Favorite

Supporting Actor, Comedy: Close Race

Supporting Actress, Comedy: Clear Favorite

Supporting Actor, Drama: Close Race

Supporting Actress, Drama: Barnburner

Lead Actor, Comedy: Pretty Close (The frontrunner is ahead by 3-4 votes)

Lead Actress, Comedy: Close Race

Lead Actor, Drama: Clear Favorite

Lead Actress, Drama: Clear Favorite

Outstanding Talk Show: Blowout

Outstanding Variety / Sketch Series: Clear Favorite

Outstanding Comedy Episode: TIED

Outstanding Drama Episode: Clear Favorite

Outstanding Comedy Series: Pretty Close

Outstanding Drama Series: Close Race

I'll be announcing the winners tomorrow night at 8 PM ET. Still don't know how I'm gonna do it, but based on the lack of thread activity, I'm leaning towards IRC, followed by a post-up of the winners.

Here's that ballot once more.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All right, I'm calling it.

I'm announcing the winners tonight at 8 ET in our IRC channel. (I apologize to any Europeans I'm screwing over by holding it so late.) Click here to go right over to that channel via Mibbit with no add-ons necessary.

If you can't make it, a follow-up post will go up sometime tomorrow announcing the winners.

For the 60 of you who participated, thanks for indulging my love of forms and pointless contests!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jessica Jones ranked higher than Fargo for best drama, you people are dogshit

Also Ritter won best drama actress because "be the lead in a marvel show and never get above perfunctory" is all you need to beat Paulsen's insanely good performance in People vs OJ because goons don't watch shows that aren't based off of comic properties or don't have twee time travel or loving dragons in them ugh I hate genre TV and you all

Andy Daly won though which was sick

bring back the genre section so all the stupid bullshit can have itsown category

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Buffy won the Drama Legacy medal because there was no genre section.

I voted for Buffy for Drama Legacy because there was no genre section, and I figured the nerds on this forum who hate genre would vote for their thing anyway, so why bother voting for one of them?

Add the genre section back in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Also Ritter won best drama actress because "be the lead in a marvel show and never get above perfunctory" is all you need to beat Paulsen's insanely good performance in People vs OJ because goons don't watch shows that aren't based off of comic properties or don't have twee time travel or loving dragons in them ugh I hate genre TV and you all

Andy Daly won though which was sick

bring back the genre section so all the stupid bullshit can have itsown category

Holy poo poo, who really gives a gently caress? It's a loving poll, dude, get over it. The more you loving bellyache about genre categories the more I'm convinced we shouldn't have them because it leads to dumb posts like that relegating those shows to some loving ghetto.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 15, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

lol if you didn't see this coming when DP mentioned incoming salt

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Buffy won the Drama Legacy medal because there was no genre section.

Quoting this. More people who voted in this thought Buffy the loving Vampire Slayer deserved to be considered a 'legacy drama' than Deadwood or The Shield. You guys know there are shows other than the ones Chris Hardwick tells you to watch in those insufferable podcasts you listen to in between playing Japanese RPGs and coughing up Dorito dust, right? You all sicken me.

e: hey, zaggitz, lmk on irc if this gets as fun as i'm hoping it will

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Quoting this. More people who voted in this thought Buffy the loving Vampire Slayer deserved to be considered a 'legacy drama' than Deadwood or The Shield. You guys know there are shows other than the ones Chris Hardwick tells you to watch in those insufferable podcasts you listen to in between playing Japanese RPGs and coughing up Dorito dust, right? You all sicken me.

Jesus christ dude

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Titus beating all the Veep guys threw me for a loop.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Man I didn't rage that hard when Maisey Williams won over Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett in Justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Jesus christ dude

hahaha oh come on man you're not that dense are you

• Locked thread