Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

i am the bird posted:

I guess I wasn't super clear but I've seen all their work and know their style (which is why I said I trusted them), but I'm just not digging the subtext of the show at the moment.

edit: oh, and I'm not saying it's a bad show or that the message is supposed to be racist/sexist or whatever, I'm just not following the dark humor of this show so far compared to their other work. It's only episode 2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Not sure why you've watched any of their stuff, none of this seems for you. Perhaps give the Grey's Anatomy a go :v:

That switch from the brooch toss to the student driver taking 5 years to pull away was pretty great. Agree that it will turn up somewhere in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

i am the bird posted:

Yes? This isn't new. I think you're taking the word "criticism" too literally. I'm not condemning or discrediting the media in question. I'm saying they offer portrayals worthy of critique in a broader social context and that pretending they exist in a vacuum is lazy and uncritical.

It's two angry white dudes terrorizing a black woman's home in the south because she's in a position of power that makes them feel powerless. That's worthy of a second glance. Of course they're crazy but that's just an avenue for another discussion about how portraying them as insane theoretically overlooks that similar displays of violent white supremacy is normative in many American communities.

I disagree with critiques that say the show is PROMOTING this. But to plug your ears and pretend like it's not a culturally complicated scene is just lazy and uncritical.

Good god you must be a real blast at parties. Just watch the loving tv show or don't. Everything is not a social justice/ethical dilemma.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I can't believe I saw her piss on a cop car.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I can't believe goggins told her they burnt her house down. The video was all they needed.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Uh, were you paying attention, it was the END OF THE LINE.

SLUT

• Locked thread