Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Last week was losing me because cringe is very much not my thing. I could recognize that it was done well, but I couldn't stand to watch it.

This week, however, was incredible. I loved the principal's faceturn, as well as (McBride's?) slow coming to realizations and sympathies.

This is a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I can't stand cringe humor as a rule, so I'm almost as surprised at how much I like this show as I am shocked at how much I adored the last five minutes of this episode. As good as it's been so far, between motocross and the ill-fated tea it really felt like the "this show has arrived" moment.

The drive-home hand grab was a bit on the nose, though. I hope it's treated as, erm, "well" as every other obvious trope thus far.

And just,

Pharmaskittle posted:

Russell in the background still destroying the warehouse with his forklift while Gamby rides away really got me.

This, plus Russell's mother-in-law chucking a wooden spoon at him like a joke JRPG weapon.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Last Chance posted:

I agree with you about cringe humor-- I can't watch some of The Office episodes because of it.

I think this show works because those almost-cringey moments have a lot of background and sort of prepare you for them and they just aren't as blatantly antagonistic towards the audience or mean-spirited. Kinda like how Parks and Rec, while following the same basic formula as The Office, didn't really lay the cringe on too thick.

I don't get what you mean about the hand grab on the way home being too "on the nose", though. I thought it was a sweet, human moment between two people who don't really get each other as a whole, but sorta like each other.

So after Gamby causes a dumb embarrassing spectacle, it's hard not to want to reach out to him because she finally understood him a little more and knew he had good intentions.

Maybe you're reading too much TVTropes?

Funny you should say that; I tried to browse that site once and my eyes glazed over immediately.

I don't think we need a website know to that the weird, not-exactly-attractive star/co-creator alienating himself, endearing himself, and winning the pretty girl is a very common thing for shows and movies and stories in general to do. That silent, scenic drive full of meaningful glances and hand-holding was saccharine and gross.

What I meant by how I hope it's treated is that I'm never seen McBride's stuff before, but if I'm reading this correctly, I'm both hoping and expecting their budding friendship/relationship-for-lonely-cat-women to go as wrong as it goes right, and immediately, and hilariously.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

At a glance it looks like spinach and red bell pepper.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

It's a scramble. Omelets wouldn't get whisked in the hot pan like that.

Eggs are so good~

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

I'm not 100% against nuking eggs. Using a small shallow bowl and a microwave for 45 seconds or so is a great way to make a single egg that'll fit nicely in a sandwich or burger.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MiddleOne posted:

People have been killed over in GWS for less.

Goons think you suck at life and will die a virgin, news at 11.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Yeah... dark...

Um, let's go with that.

:stare:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Trillhouse posted:

I also wonder who the shooter is. My first guess is Russell but there's a bunch of suspects: brunette teacher that sucked upon his penis, principal's husband, Russell, etc.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ChesterJT posted:

I can't believe goggins told her they burnt her house down. The video was all they needed.

That's the thing though, while Gamby is in on the whole thing as a means to a definite end, he doesn't really enjoy the process along the way. Russell spites people for fun. Spitting in his mother in law's tea is the high point of his evening. He can't stop doing this poo poo, even/especially when he has what he wants out of it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

h_double posted:

One of Dr. Brown's sons is not totally out of the realm of possibility.

I think it kind of is. I'm not about to go hunting for screencaps, but i think they were both visibly shorter than Gamby.

Whoever shot him was obviously taller before they put the mask on, if that was your rebuttal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Love Crime posted:

I really doubt they paid an actor's fee for 10 seconds of an episode when they could've just as easily had an extra stand in instead.

Whoever was underneath it in the episode isn't going to matter and they could just as easily change it if the desired character's actor negotiation went a different way.

They filmed the entire series (two seasons) already, and even if some SAG payout was, for some reason, a concern to an HBO production, I promise you that Hollywood is so full of anxious extras that they'd have gotten the loving height and weight right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Listen, Vincent actually cares. He listens. He's sensitive. He couldn't possibly be behind this.

• Locked thread