Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I... do not know what to think about this show. The vile racism and sexism of the two leads and the actual terrorism of burning down the principal's house is a weird ground for comedy. I trust McBride and Hill but episode 2 was hard to watch.

There's something particular about watching two white dudes try to run a black women out of town in the south. I presume things are going to turn to poo poo for them but man...

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I guess I wasn't super clear but I've seen all their work and know their style (which is why I said I trusted them), but I'm just not digging the subtext of the show at the moment.

edit: oh, and I'm not saying it's a bad show or that the message is supposed to be racist/sexist or whatever, I'm just not following the dark humor of this show so far compared to their other work. It's only episode 2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 26, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The shredded-but-taped-together bank statement in Amanda's file had me laughing so hard. Russell is such a loving creep.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

h_double posted:

I noticed that McBride directed this episode and I liked the couple of visual montages (at the historical park and then at the hotel where they were running around looking for the missing students).

I loved the shot where each person had a floor/hall and Gamby was riding the elevator surveying the whole place. It was also very Wes Anderson-y.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I loving lost it at the close-up of knowing nods during the circles scene. Some bizarre after school special poo poo going on with the music in the background, all backing a discussion about the "flavor of young boys' penises."

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I love the show but still stand by the ability to critique episode 2 in a social climate where it's difficult to mock white southern terror in a way that makes the viewer root for it. In the context of the show, it makes total sense, and the joke is on these characters. But I think the dismissal of that conversation by saying "it's a Jody Hill show :rolleyes:" is stupid. It's like how the rape scene in Observe and Report can be 'acceptable' within the context of an incredibly dark comedic movie but still open to cultural critique.

Nobody (weirdos on Tumblr excluded) is saying it shouldn't be done. But to completely ignore the subtext to a scene or its effect on viewers is dumb. It's okay to like things and still wonder about their perception and impact on society. Michael Douglas isn't a good guy in Falling Down, the protagonist of Fight Club isn't good, Don Draper isn't good, Walter White isn't good, but they're all essentially admired by a majority of viewers. That's not the intent but that doesn't change the impact.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

The Protagonist in all those things you said are actually Good

Well-developed characters in good media, sure.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

No, like, they are the Good Guys in their respective universes.

I don't think there's a reasonable reading of that with critical textual support for any of the characters I mentioned.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just to make sure I've got this right, you're suggesting that it's worthy of criticism because some people might take it the wrong way?

Yes? This isn't new. I think you're taking the word "criticism" too literally. I'm not condemning or discrediting the media in question. I'm saying they offer portrayals worthy of critique in a broader social context and that pretending they exist in a vacuum is lazy and uncritical.

Last Chance posted:

What subtext?? There's no reading between the lines when you have two batshit insane characters like Russel and Gamby. They beat you over the head with it!

It's two angry white dudes terrorizing a black woman's home in the south because she's in a position of power that makes them feel powerless. That's worthy of a second glance. Of course they're crazy but that's just an avenue for another discussion about how portraying them as insane theoretically overlooks that similar displays of violent white supremacy is normative in many American communities.

I disagree with critiques that say the show is PROMOTING this. But to plug your ears and pretend like it's not a culturally complicated scene is just lazy and uncritical.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 20, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Explain how Tyler Durden is the bad guy please.

The hyperviolent chauvinistic ubermensch manifestation of a white man feeling powerless who turns to terrorism as a result is a good guy?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yes, because discussing a television show in a thread about a television show is wildly out of place. Sorry for ruining your safe space, guys. I still like the show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

^^^ yeah, okay. You've offered literally nothing in support of your reading whereas the majority of analyses AND the book's author AND the movie's director all talk about those exact themes so, whatever.

Last Chance posted:

Yeah but what I'm saying is that the white supremacy thing you feel needs a second glance is the entire point of the joke.

The joke is that the characters are just too oblivious about the horrific implications of their actions because they're so wrapped up in high school administration politics. And they're supremely sexist, and probably racist too.

Any other jokes that need 'splainin? I can ruin em all folks

Nah, I agree with your reading -- especially taken with the rest of the show -- but a few posters in here are acting like that scene has no underlying message involving race or sex. It feels like some people think critics are calling them racist or sexist for liking the show which is not the point at all.

This is far too many words for a thread where people hate everything I'm saying so I'll just drop it.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I dig that they're both sympathetic characters in various ways while still being monstrous. Watching them fail miserably or cause chaos is fun as hell, but it's also hard not to root for them wrecking the neighbor, who is an even bigger piece of poo poo.

I was just rewatching Footfist Way because it just got added to Netflix. I forgot how loving absurd and hilarious it is and it's basically forgotten as a cult comedy.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

xcore posted:

That was pretty crazy. Russell's wide-eyed amazement with everything that was unfolding before him was magical.

Is the guy playing the Principal's Ex Paper Boi from Atlanta?

Yeah. He looked super familiar so I looked him up. Same dude.

This episode :stonk:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

surprise twist, the shooter is Ray

Correct. Gamby finally let his guard down and now Ray can strike.

• Locked thread