Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffieDuckie

byob poster shakill o'real is now on a train. or at least he was on a train, and soon will be on another train.

his stated reason for riding on a train was:

"To shake up my surroundings and culture myself a little while I write things and put together a portfolio so I can try to get a writing job when it's done."

hopefully if his phone doesn't die he'll update us here on his adventures

the current thread tag is "grumpy" because that's his current mood. i'll adjust the tag as needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I wish chill travels upon you O rider of trains

deep dish peat moss

Imgur is hard to use on mobile when uploading multiple photos at once but here are some of the pictures so far

http://imgur.com/tKuBUNi
http://imgur.com/DiQZ1uc
http://imgur.com/hObRZ9O
http://imgur.com/qTMdjGj
http://imgur.com/5SWSIu6
http://imgur.com/qtM3iz2
http://imgur.com/zT9F2Uw

deep dish peat moss

So far I drove from Phoenix arizona to payson arizona then spent the day up there (that's the cabin in the pics), then missed a turn to Flagstaff and found a weird part of Arizona I hadn't seen before, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona and then made it to Flagstaff and got on the train to LA, now I'm staying at a hostel in Hollywood with some German guys on a contiki trip partying hard, I gotta go to bed early and get on the next train to seattle, I might pit stop in Colorado Springs, after that it's off to probably Minnerapolis and then the east coast.

If you're in a city with an amtrak station (you probably are if you're in the US) and want to smoke weed or drink a beer with me or get a pizza or whatever let me know what city you're in.

google THIS

sometimes I take a little train ride. It helps me discover new places and relax, but it rolls right past Victoria's Secret, which is awkward, especially when my daughter recognizes the Pink clothing line and yells "LOOK, DADDY! THAT'S WHAT MOMMY WEARS!"

FluffieDuckie

I'm in San Jose. We have an Amtrak station. If you have a stopover I will buy you lunch because I'm a little worried about you

That's addressed to shakill. I'm sure Jett's train will stop him at the food court

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
They should build an Amtrak station in Norway tbh.

<3 <3 Vanisher

deep dish peat moss

Thank you FluffieDuckie but there is nothing to be concerned about I have a pretty awesome life waiting for me at home and wanted to take a trip fraught with peril just to say I did.

Tonight I ate dinner with another hostel roommate from australia, he was really excited to eat Subway, and we talked about politics and travel and our love lives for a couple hours and walked around hollywood. I had a good time and I guess Hollywood is cool because I can meet comparatively more foreign people with different opinions and stories to tell out here.

alnilam

Come to Pittsburgh but the only places train goes from here Chicago, Philly/NYC, or DC

Piso Mojado

if you come to San Diego, we can drive to Tijuana for a real adventure m8.

Robot Made of Meat

Shakill OReal posted:

So far I drove from Phoenix arizona to payson arizona then spent the day up there (that's the cabin in the pics), then missed a turn to Flagstaff and found a weird part of Arizona I hadn't seen before, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona and then made it to Flagstaff and got on the train to LA, now I'm staying at a hostel in Hollywood with some German guys on a contiki trip partying hard, I gotta go to bed early and get on the next train to seattle, I might pit stop in Colorado Springs, after that it's off to probably Minnerapolis and then the east coast.

If you're in a city with an amtrak station (you probably are if you're in the US) and want to smoke weed or drink a beer with me or get a pizza or whatever let me know what city you're in.

We really appreciate the updates, Shakill. Photos and trip-reports let us live vicarously. If there were a train station anywhere near me, I'd buy you a tasty meal.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

"Excited to eat Subway."

I weep.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Piso Mojado

I'll order you a domino's pizza if you post your hostel address.

Piso Mojado

I also have a coupon for a free edible arrangement, if you prefer that.

Darkman Fanpage
ive never been on a train but ive been on a subway which is a kind of train so i feel like i get the general vibe

Senior Management

I have taken this so called Amtrak and while great and convenient at times I swear it takes half a day to get through Connecticut looping around the state stopping everywhere. But tragically I am a ways away from the Amtrak.

:jerry:

Piso Mojado

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
I wish him luck catching pokemon.

----------------

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

drilldo squirt posted:

I wish him luck catching pokemon.

And the *real* reason behind the trip is finaly revealed! *Fanfare*

<3 <3 Vanisher

literally this big

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm in Sacramento, we have an Amtrak station

alnilam

lol

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Shakill OReal posted:

Tonight I ate dinner with another hostel roommate from australia, he was really excited to eat Subway,
we do have subway in australia though :confused: are you sure they weren't actually a kiwi, sho'real?

e: admittedly subways here are full-on gronk

~sig~

AAB

its all right there. the keys to life

eat
plants

deep dish peat moss

I woke up really sick today and missed my train because I went to urgent care, but they were able to diagnose a sickness I've been having on and off for years that no other doctor has and now I have meds. Since I missed the Seattle train I'm going to head down to San Diego this afternoon to hang out with a friend and then take the train to Seattle and be up there fri/sat

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Shakill OReal posted:

I woke up really sick today and missed my train because I went to urgent care, but they were able to diagnose a sickness I've been having on and off for years that no other doctor has and now I have meds. Since I missed the Seattle train I'm going to head down to San Diego this afternoon to hang out with a friend and then take the train to Seattle and be up there fri/sat

stay safe train ghost

glad you have friends in san diego, i have friends there i still haven't ever visited

deep dish peat moss

Do you want me to visit your friends for you ??

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Shakill OReal posted:

Do you want me to visit your friends for you ??

you tell me:

1. his name is damian and he once wrote his name on blood on the walls of his dorm hallway*

*the blood was from broken bottles that he was throwing out his third story window at the RA's car which subsequently got him banned from oncampus housing

2. he once fell backwards down a staircase and was hit by an empty keg which opened up two large gashes above and below his right eye and as i was the only one of our friends still at the party i accompanied him to the campus health center where he babbled incoherently while they stitched him up and i watched*

*we were both on LSD at the time

3. he is one of the most lovable people you will ever meet and coined the term "glintz" for the little sparkles you see in pavement

deep dish peat moss

Sounds like my kinda scum!! I'm on the train to San Diego now and will be there in like 3 hours. LA wasn't my kinda place... I think I would have been way in to it like 8 years ago when I partied hard. But I did have a cool convo with Australian dude, and never even learned his name.

Scaly Haylie

did he learn yours? careful, he may have power over you now.

Senior Management

Shakill OReal posted:

Nice a blessing in disguise. I bet you were not expecting a medical revelation on your train trip.

:jerry:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Shakill OReal posted:

I am sorry you missed your train, but I am glad you got a health problem sorted out! San Diego is good, and I hope you enjoy it. If you come up to San Jose and want to have a weed and a pretty good burrito I would recommend Iguanas. They have lots of stuff and it's good. http://burritozilla.com/welcome

FluffieDuckie

hamjobs posted:

If you come up to San Jose

o_o

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm literally in Sunnyvale right now petting my dog, do not be alarmed.

alnilam

Fluffie looks outside to see Thunk posting on byob from a smartphone

FluffieDuckie

:siren: another bay area yobber spotted :siren:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BYOBAYOK.

deep dish peat moss

I really want to hang out with my friend in Seattle because I was supposed to move there with her and got waylaid. She's really busy at work and can only hang out on fri/sat, so I'm getting on the train up there tomorrow morning and that train will be in Seattle Thursday night, so I don't think I'll be able to stop around the bay area. I might catch it on the way home though, I've learned that I'm not a fan of long train rides and the one from Seattle to the east coast is like 4 days long, so I'm debating whether I even want to go out there or just stick to the west coast/southwest. I still need to go to Colorado Springs at some point to visit another friend

deep dish peat moss

I'm almost to san diego and I just found out my phone camera has a cinemagraph mode so I'm excited to take pictures of waves

FluffieDuckie

it's no biggie. i thought you'd be stopping here but don't go out of your way. i can't guarantee i can be available until i know when so don't work your plans around me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

it is extremely disarming to see you post a japanese-style smiley

• Locked thread