Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furia

Luvcow posted:

coined the term "glintz" for the little sparkles you see in pavement

:buddy: I love that name

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Furia posted:

:buddy: I love that name

its perfect

deep dish peat moss

My phone died twice while writing a big post about this and it didn't save either time so I'll keep it brief :

San Diego is rad and redeemed California in my eyes

Hung out with a friend at the beach (sunset cliffs) and smoked joints all day. Climbed down some cliffs to get there. Walked around Ocean Beach and got lunch.

In a cool airbnb private room with 2 nerdy reddit folks and it was cheaper than any hostel I've looked at so I think I'm done with hostels.

Had some cataclysmic nightmares with Amtrak ticket agents in the stations. One ripped my pass, another told me that meant the pass was void and tried to take it away from me.

Argued with a manager and got to keep the pass then they told me it wasn't valid for travel to/from San Diego effectively trying to strand me here.

Called their support line and got it all sorted out along with an upgrade to business class for my 38 hour long trip to Seattle up the PCH starting at 6am tomorrow

Piso Mojado

things are lookin up!

Afro Doug

byobbers on a train -

"i'll emptyquote you if you emptyquote me"

"uhhhh okay... haha i love weed"

"yeah good. now repeat after me... 'i love donald trump and i want to kiss him'"

deep dish peat moss

People shouldn't be up this early on vacation

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Shakill OReal posted:

People shouldn't be up this early on vacation

Can I quote your most recent picture into the "take a picture every day" thread?

deep dish peat moss

Yeah of course

Here are about 5 minutes of the San Diego coast condensed in to 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK28dZhVzEc

Senior Management

Shakill OReal posted:

Yeah of course

neat

:jerry:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
If anyone wants to follow along, Shakill should be about to depart Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight, train 14.
Amtrak train schedules are here: https://www.amtrak.com/train-schedules-timetables
Look for Coast Starlight in the list. I love how the schedules are still laid out the same way they were when railroads still ran their own passenger trains. Read up from the bottom, since the train runs South to North.

I also looked at the schedule for the Empire Builder (Chicago - Portland / Seattle). The schedule hasn't changed since I rode that train between my hometown in Wisconsin and Seattle, back in the late 70's when I was attending law school at the Univ. of Washington. After I finished the bar exam, I took a solo bicycle trip from Seattle to Glacier N.P., then took the train back to Seattle. Fun times. . .

deep dish peat moss

Finally time for the second smoke break

Here's another video of the coast like the last one, but it's more interesting coastline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rOsuXRXuoY

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Shakill OReal posted:

Yeah of course

Shakill OReal posted:

Here's another video of the coast like the last one, but it's more interesting coastline

these are really cool

deep dish peat moss

I dozed off for a little while or else there would be some of rolling golden hills and cow farms on mountainsides at a 45 degree angle.

deep dish peat moss

Barking Gecko posted:

If anyone wants to follow along, Shakill should be about to depart Los Angeles on the Coast Starlight, train 14.
Amtrak train schedules are here: https://www.amtrak.com/train-schedules-timetables
Look for Coast Starlight in the list. I love how the schedules are still laid out the same way they were when railroads still ran their own passenger trains. Read up from the bottom, since the train runs South to North.

I also looked at the schedule for the Empire Builder (Chicago - Portland / Seattle). The schedule hasn't changed since I rode that train between my hometown in Wisconsin and Seattle, back in the late 70's when I was attending law school at the Univ. of Washington. After I finished the bar exam, I took a solo bicycle trip from Seattle to Glacier N.P., then took the train back to Seattle. Fun times. . .

I'm really excited to do Seattle to GNP. There's no way I can afford lodging in GNP though so I hope I can reach it early in the morning and leave that same night on the way east or something

FluffieDuckie

i think shakill is starting to "get" california

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Furia

Shakill OReal posted:

hey excuse me hi

I know I'm not very popular and don"t have many (if any) friends here, and I'm sure you get this all the time but might as well say it again

smoking is bad and you should quit (except weed)

I don't mean to pry or be rude or anything, but I just feel the need to say it to people. so I'm sorry if I insulted you or offended you in any way

you just have to believe in yourself, there's a little skeleton inside of us all

Robot Made of Meat

"Cow Farms."

Hehe

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FluffieDuckie

Furia posted:

hey excuse me hi

I know I'm not very popular and don"t have many (if any) friends here, and I'm sure you get this all the time but might as well say it again

smoking is bad and you should quit (except weed)

I don't mean to pry or be rude or anything, but I just feel the need to say it to people. so I'm sorry if I insulted you or offended you in any way

i'm you're friend furia. you're a good person to care about shakill's health

FluffieDuckie

Robot Made of Meat posted:

"Cow Farms."

Hehe

he's from arizona. i'm not sure they have cows there

deep dish peat moss

We have cows, I'm just not a cow boy.

deep dish peat moss

I should quit smoking but I like it ::(

Robot Made of Meat

I loved smoking, but I hated waking up with horrible, thick green stuff in my sinuses.

I also wasn't fond of the price, or the stench. Quitting is hard as hell, but it's worth it.

[/lecture]

Furia

FluffieDuckie posted:

i'm you're friend furia.

:buddy:

Shakill OReal posted:

I should quit smoking but I like it ::(

you can do it! I believe in you!

deep dish peat moss

I actually quit smoking once but started again when a crazy girl faked a terminal illness to cover up cheating on me.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shakill OReal posted:

I actually quit smoking once but started again when a crazy girl faked a terminal illness to cover up cheating on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ8nN6hTnmM

how tf does someone fake a terminal illness?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

deep dish peat moss

We had been on again off again for like a year but it never worked, I wasn't in to her I was just lonely, and she was emotionally abusive. One day she started to scale back on talking to me and apologized saying she just wasn't feeling well. As the days went on she would talk to me less and say she was feeling increasingly worse until eventually it was more like "hey I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a week I'm in the hospital and they're trying to figure out what it is."

I started to freak out and got really worried but she refused to tell me what hospital she was at, she'd just say they sent her home, then she'd mysteriously be back with the illness being worse the next day.

Eventually she had chosen an illness with a high mortality rate and told me they diagnosed her with it and it was getting worse and blah blah blah, she basically tried to break up with me by saying she was going to die and I should move on and find someone else and forget about her. I wasn't having any of that and kept asking what hospital she was at and she kept refusing to tell me so I called her mom and asked and found out the whole thing was a lie.

She called me months later to apologize and tell me that she had met someone else and spun a yarn about how she just really liked me and didn't want to break my heart by telling me she met someone else.

It's all as ridiculous as it sounds and the dude dumped her like a week later and she was trying to get back with me but I told her to gently caress off and we haven't talked since

deep dish peat moss

I've literally never had a 'normal ' relationship in my life until the girl I'm seeing now and it's only because of her support and encouragement that I'm even on this trip so things are finally coming up milhouse

deep dish peat moss

After spending all day on this train and reflecting I'm cutting my trip short.

I really can't imagine a worse way to travel than Amtrak. I've had one singular thought through every waking moment on the train and it's this : I've been in jails that were more pleasant than Amtrak Business Class.

Frankly I'm pretty shocked that Amtrak offers residencies to writers. Everyone I've talked to on the train shared a similar story. They all hate it, they all only do it because they have to. I just can't imagine someone taking a trip on one of these trains and writing something about it that could be used promotionally.

Half of the poo poo on the trains doesn't work. Bathrooms are all hosed up and sinks will shoot water all over and flood the room. Most of the power outlets don't work. The food is bad (it's literally just microwaved frozen burgers, pizzas etc that they charge about 4x supermarket price on). There are all kinds of delays. I haven't had a good experience with any of the ticket agents in the station and only one good experience with them on the phone. I've now ridden four separate trains and tried business class and they all had these same problems.

Being in the cities is fun and I got to hang out with a few friends but the idea of any more time on the train is giving me a panic attack, which sucks because their schedules and routes are sparse enough that getting home is going to mandate 3+ more straight days on a train.

I wanted to do this because I thought it would be more fun than an office job but I would have rather been at work than doing what I've spent most of my time so far on this vacation doing.

As much as I want to keep checking out cool places in the US it's not worth it if I have to do it on the train. I'm probably going to pay out the rear end to fly home from Seattle just to avoid another 38 hour train ride followed by a 12 hour train ride to get home.

The experience was still good and I'm glad I went. Since the whole trip was sort of inspired by Paulo Coelho I will end this post by paraphrasing him; what I've learned is that this is not my Pesonal Legend, which is an incredibly valuable, if costly, lesson. My Personal Legend is back at home in the arms of someone I want to be with.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you for sharing, Shakill. Good riddance to her. My brother got back together with one of his exes that was cheating on him a few months ago... smdh. Anyway I'm glad San Diego and other parts of Southern California's scenery changed your mind about the golden state and that you've got a supporting and loving girlfriend.

I urge you to check out some of the local museums along the way.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Furia

I'm sad to hear all the bad news (and non news), friend

maybe talk it out with the pillow and see if this is the right decision for you, and think how doing one thing or the other will affect you

whatever happens, I hope you find happiness in your decision

alnilam

I'm glad you came to a decision and i wish you well but man my experience with Amtrak is so much the opposite i love it, i guess it's not for everyone

FluffieDuckie

as an old person i can tell you that life is all about learning things about yourself. for example i at some point learned that jumping on a train and wandering the country with not a lot of things specifically planned and questionable places to sleep is Not My Thing

now you know that too

deep dish peat moss

Yeah if I am doing this again it would be a road trip. There's something profoundly insulting about being dragged through these beautiful mountains and forests and not being able to stop for a minute to explore a path or smell the flowers. Being on a train makes me feel like I'm on a trip that's being dictated by someone else and I have no freedom, there's no sense of joy or wonder or accomplishment from it. It ends up feeling so spiritless and manufactured. That's not even considering how drat uncomfortable it is. I've slept barebacked on rocks and stones before and had a better night's sleep.

I'm going to fly back from Seattle because I would rather shoot myself than spend 50 more hours on a train.

I got what I needed out of the trip; I got a story to tell and I learned about myself.

deep dish peat moss

The train is getting held up for an hour and a half in Klamath Falls and I couldn't be happier to get off this thing for a while

Senior Management

Win a car in a game of chance and drive back. Stop at every Taco Bell on the way back.

:jerry:

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

I'm glad you came to a decision and i wish you well but man my experience with Amtrak is so much the opposite i love it, i guess it's not for everyone

Yeah, my one experience was great (at least the parts actually on the train). But I had a roomette, so sleeping was better and the food was quite decent. I'd love to have the chance to train around the country again (and normally I HATE travel).

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you'd hoped, Shakill.

alnilam

i guess it helps to be a good anywhere-sleeper... i've had just as good of a time riding 6 hours sitting on a vinyl-covered bench like a diner booth on a junky old train in hungary, as i have in a comfy-rear end chair in coach class of amtrak

sure as hell beats the bus in either case. probably the worst was riding 6 hours in a small bus on dirt roads with my legs up to my chest and my backpack sort of tucked in between because everyone's bags were on the floor in this tiny bus, praying it wouldn't rain because everyone said if it did we would get stuck in mud and have to get out and push, but even that was kind of a cool adventure

ty manifisto

deep dish peat moss

I think instead of flying back I'm going to continue on to Glacier National Park and try to get a short seasonal job at a lodge.

deep dish peat moss

The sleeping situation makes it rough, yeah. I can't sleep on this train without murdering my back and neck, my blanket is too small and it's freezing, etc. A sleeper car would be a big help.
Even still, I feel like I was kind of lead in the wrong direction with this trip. Amtrak made it sound so adventurous, like I'd be able to get off at each station and explore the town around it. It's not turning out to be the great sojourn I expected. It's more like window shopping.
I still don't like the train in the daytime but I don't hate it like I do at night. At night there are no smoke breaks and sleeping is uncomfortable, it's too dark to see anything out the window because they leave too many lights on in the train. You're just sitting in a metal box with nothing but your thoughts and the clack clack clack of train tracks.
At Klamath Falls I met two people who are doing the exact same thing as me. We sat around and chain smoked cigarettes and discussed The Alchemist and reflected our lives as the Baker or the Crystalware shopkeeper. People who have been held back from learning their personal legend by forces of complacency. I can say a lot of bad things about the train, but the trip itself has been been a real splendor. Having those hours of solidarity was exactly what I needed to clear my mind and helped me look at what I'm doing as less 'crazy' and more 'deeply spiritual', though another thing I've learned is that these two are the same beast by different names.
I got what I wanted out of it either way, but what I wanted wasn't what I expected it to be.
My Fatima is back home and my Pyramids ahead, I don't really see a reason to stop now, and I've come to terms with the fact that I don't need to continue on the train. I don't want to be complacent in the comforts it does offer. I can disembark at any time and it won't be the end of the world.
My boy Nick Drake just sang me through the Klamath Marshes, and that was nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Also this is my Power Song right now :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oT2YZSVdic

• Locked thread