Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I'm disappointed. That ending wasn't nearly as crazy or dumb as I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Halfway through the LP myself having just found it and enjoying the ride so far. My only question to the OP is if you're going to update your first post with links to all the updates at some point? I didn't even realize you had more then one update till I kept reading past the first.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

SaffronKit posted:

Halfway through the LP myself having just found it and enjoying the ride so far. My only question to the OP is if you're going to update your first post with links to all the updates at some point? I didn't even realize you had more then one update till I kept reading past the first.

........wwwwwwwwell now i feel like an idiot. CAN YOU TELL IT'S MY FIRST LP

e: did the thing.

Sindai posted:

Honestly I'm disappointed. That ending wasn't nearly as crazy or dumb as I was hoping for.

I'd say 'if it's any consolation there's another ending coming up' but it's not super wacky apart from.......well.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 6, 2016

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Man, found this yesterday, and just caught up... That story sure is something, so it's probably for the best I've mostly paid just the minimum amount of attention to the story here just to sort of follow it... and even then I don't have nice things to say about it

However, the one thing about the game that irks me the most, even despite a lot of it seeming janky and cumbersome, is the fact that the camera loses it's poo poo every time you fire a charged shot while stationary, and I hate that I know why it happens, and that it should be a relatively easy fix... just make a change in the camera code that checks player facing when releasing a shot.

Why yes, I have almost no contact with the internet drama you have been talking about, but I am dabbling in game design and pixel art, so my priorities might be different :v: (First time I'd ever heard of Vivian J was this thread)

Looking forward to seeing what the "Bad"(?) ending might be like.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I really wonder if anyone ever pointed out how unfortunate that crouch animation was at any point during development. Something tells me even if someone did the dev would insist that's just their style, like all bad artists who refuse to change.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, the President is the pyramid headed woman thing we've been seeing throughout the game?

Ningyou posted:

e: oh right, I'm scatterbrained as heck and I forgot to add this. So, the thing about Elsa 120 years ago is a callback to the dev's previous game, Subbania, where you play a Nazi submarine crew who try to invade the US by submarine at the behest of another Literal One-eyed Illuminati Pyramid Head and there's not-great art and oh by the way you're literally playing nazis and oh gosh whoops suddenly you're in Hell! I am more and more unsure I want to do a little sub-LP (haw) of this but from what I can glean, uh.....she was on the submarine, that it ended up in hell wasn't an accident, now i guess she's one of the Gal Pals from Brazil but also an ageless shapeshifter. I don't loving know.

Is it also a 2D shooting game?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Surprise Satanism outta nowhere, to the detriment of what little plot had happened!

And here I was hoping our controller would turn against us, by making us do something dumb. Nyeh.

I can't pick between :sad: and :mediocre: so I'll just go with both

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, the President is the pyramid headed woman thing we've been seeing throughout the game?
Yep.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is it also a 2D shooting game?
So here's a story.

I don't like eggs, right? I don't know if it's some kind of conditioned response because my first taste ended in throwing up some fast-food egg sandwich as a little kid and feeling absolutely rotten after or if it's something else, but....I don't like eggs. When I smell them, or think about the texture, or see them in any form other than 'this sure is a carton that purports to have eggs in it!!!' or 'this sure is an egg in this cake batter and the finished product will taste nothing like Actual Eggs,' I get this.....visceral, disgusted, teeth-on-edge gut reaction. I've never felt an instinctive sense of revulsion about anything the way I do about eggs.

Subbania is a 2d shooter. More specifically, it's a 2d vehicle shooter with floaty controls (because, i mean, underwater) and it's supposedly a fairly long browser game.

I kinda get the feeling that there won't be a mess of 'hey ning do a mini-LP of this thing' cries either way, but something about 'longish vaguely metroidvania-adjacent(?) browser game with no controller support' gives me the same sort of instinctive 'nope nope nooooooooooope' gut response as eggs do.

I mean, I know on some level it's kinda ridiculous because i mean Y'CAN'T EAT BROWSER GAMES, and being a browser game doesn't make it less A Game even if it makes it a little more of a pain to record, but. Feelings! They're weird and dumb.

Update soon!

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 7, 2016

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Part 8: Angela Merkin's Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Very Bad Day

I'm not nearly clever enough to come up with a title like that, so this is the part where I say 'thanks, dad END ME SCOObama."

"A vital element in keeping the peace is our weaponized space feminist establishment. Our discourse must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk her own destruction...

This conjunction of an immense weaponized space feminist establishment and a large discourse industry is new in the Space Bulgarian experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every future twitter, every future tumblr, every embattled facebook page of the space feminist government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of latex boobmonster illuminati, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the matriarchy–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our problematic faves or internet polls. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and matriarchal machinery of discourse with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together." (President's Office)

So I guess I should explain that toiletmonster thing i keep coming back to.

So I was thinking about this, and....one of the shapeshifters tries to possess Ceyda and fails and she kind of subsumes it into herself, but the game isn't super explicit about it having happened until it's the end! So I got to thinking, like. When could this have even happened? And I came up with three options:

1. In the dream sequence, when the boss is like BATHE IN ME SWIM IN MY MYSTERY GUNK LET ME SEE INTO YOU, except she straight murders that one.

2. In the weird little scene in the spooooooky washroom where the shapeshifter-toilet swallows Ceyda whole and then things reset because if this isn't foreshadowing that then what the hell's the point of the entire scene? It's completely disconnected from everything otherwise!

3. oh my GOD you are way the hell overthinking this game about pink-haired animes and rogue fast-food mascots gone half-dictatorial and this is a thing that shows up nowhere, it was just written into the end because the writer's thinking maybe five minutes ahead at any given moment and who's going to give a poo poo about what story reason we toss out for why annie mcmurderanime is eating the cryptofascist hamburglar

Like, my sort of half-theory is that it's #2? which is immensely funny to me because i mean 'I WAS SWALLOWED BY THIS EVIL TOILET BUT I ATE IT BACK AND GAINED ITS POWER and then i ate the rest of the illuminati, this is how i can defeat you' is pret~ty ridiculous. But I could be completely wrong.

Anyways, this happens. And like.....there are things I like about this ending! The music is good! There are little undertones that are kind of okay even if it starts with someone whose idea of proper workplace attire is "a zentai suit and a hat shaped like Yung Venuz that they made at home, poorly" doing the drill thing and it ends with taking an elevator up to the pre-negagentrification Negaverse and Eating President Feminism! It's not as bloodboilingly dumb as the Louise Cypher Memorial Baby Satan Chaos Route Ending! But....yeah.

Being disappointed is a part of being.

And being disappointed by this game is a part of being even the tiiiniest bit invested in it.

But hey, gently caress it, right? There's always headcanons for better games. ♥

The end, unless y'all are raring for a glimpse of nazi submariner hijinks.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 7, 2016

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
...Part of what pisses me off about this game, beyond the fact that all the characters talk like 13 year olds, is that it feels kind of insensitive to take a subject as deeply personal and serious as transphobia and then instead of meaningfully exploring the topic, just explaining it away with "THE ILLUMINATI DID IT".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

well unlike the last ending I don't feel like I was amputated at the knee while wearing a pink shimapan

It definitely doesn't have the insane PLOT TWIST the B ending had, and I it makes thematic sense, but whatever the message this game was trying to say was lost on me. The...god what the gently caress was that thing called anyway? Illum? Anyway, the final boss, contradicted herself a whole bunch and I don't get why Ceyda didn't call it out on its bullshit. So we need them to usher us into the next stage of evolution, but in reality all they want is to play the part of a sadistic god?
I get that this was a "battle of the mind" sort of deal, where I guess she tried to possess Ceyda and that's what led to that trippy battlefield. That's also why she took out Ceyda's eye as well, to demoralize her (speaking of which she took it rather well all things considered. I would think a gun-slinging assassin would be a bit upset after having their eye drilled out)

This really reads like a draft 1 of a script. And I say that as someone who accepted EMP gerbils that afflicted others with the rage virus.

The music owned tho!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think this ending is better than the previous ending; the reveal of the President's true nature was a lot more dramatic.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Now that it's over, the only way I can explain this game is someone struggling with every kind of gender issue imaginable played Deus Ex and then did a boatload of acid.

Or possibly did a boatload of acid while playing Deus Ex, and the bender continued through the game's production because :wtf:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Anoia posted:

Or possibly did a boatload of acid while playing Deus Ex, and the bender continued through the game's production because :wtf:

Wrong indie game. You're thinking of E.Y.E

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ningyou posted:

Part 7: In my dreams we're all burning and the only one left is Giant Baby Satan

Being disappointed is part of being. Not a constant, unrelenting part, but....it's a thing! It happens! And if you had any hope for where this ends, you are going to drown in it.

In which we, well, drown in it. (The Watcher)
Wait was it raining inside the rock down there? There's water hitting on the upper side of the roof of that tunnel through the rock you crawl through.

Sindai posted:

Yeah that was really incredibly mundane and boring for what was going on.

Ningyou posted:

Part 8: Angela Merkin's Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Very Bad Day
Now see this is the bizarre crazy poo poo I was expecting from the other ending. :psyduck:

SSNeoman posted:

(speaking of which she took it rather well all things considered. I would think a gun-slinging assassin would be a bit upset after having their eye drilled out)
Well I mean she's a cyborg, presumably she's just going to go to the local chop shop and get a replacement installed.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

END ME SCOOB posted:

Wrong indie game. You're thinking of E.Y.E

Now all i can think of is a EYE sequel where vending machines can hack your gender identity.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ningyou posted:

Now all i can think of is a EYE sequel where vending machines can hack your gender identity.

D&D has taught me that only girdles and coffins do that.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

END ME SCOOB posted:

wellllllllllllll that's because it's called dungeons and dragons not dystopian genderweird capitalist hellscapes and dragons

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
That uh, those certainly were some endings. Kind of lackluster, I also get the strongest feeling of funds or project burnout even if we muffle the writing.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Ningyou posted:

So I was thinking about this, and....one of the shapeshifters tries to possess Ceyda and fails and she kind of subsumes it into herself, but the game isn't super explicit about it having happened until it's the end! So I got to thinking, like. When could this have even happened? And I came up with three options:

1. In the dream sequence, when the boss is like BATHE IN ME SWIM IN MY MYSTERY GUNK LET ME SEE INTO YOU, except she straight murders that one.

Couldn't that be seen as her actually fighting off its attempt to gain control? IE: the attack literally happened at the game's start and it failed, with stuff like the toilet attack being attempts to assert dominance?

I mean, it seems more likely that the "fatal mistake" would happen in a mandatory segment, not an optional one.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Belts and Rings, too. Though that's technically just your outward sex/ gender, not your identity.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gonna give the game props for a neat final boss design, even if the actual fight was kind of underwhelming and over too soon.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Uggghhhhh I just realized that if Ceyda has controlled a blob from the start and it's been building power by killing other blobs, this game could've been Mega Man X starring Bulgarian Turk transwoman Zato-1. This game disappoints right up to the end, in every direction at once.

Also I have a question for Ningyou or anyone else that played this: I know there's powerups to increase your max health, but are there seriously none to increase your attack power? Like I know this is small potatoes compared to just about everything else in the game but if there's no way to raise your base damage stat why even bother showing a damage number to the player? Especially in a cutscene where you assassinate someone, a lot of the assumed dramatic tension farts itself out the window when the target takes a whopping 1 damage. It's also just a weird thing to omit from this genre in the first place, since seeing your character get more powerful is kind of a staple.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Lynx Winters posted:

Uggghhhhh I just realized that if Ceyda has controlled a blob from the start and it's been building power by killing other blobs, this game could've been Mega Man X starring Bulgarian Turk transwoman Zato-1. This game disappoints right up to the end, in every direction at once.

Also I have a question for Ningyou or anyone else that played this: I know there's powerups to increase your max health, but are there seriously none to increase your attack power? Like I know this is small potatoes compared to just about everything else in the game but if there's no way to raise your base damage stat why even bother showing a damage number to the player? Especially in a cutscene where you assassinate someone, a lot of the assumed dramatic tension farts itself out the window when the target takes a whopping 1 damage. It's also just a weird thing to omit from this genre in the first place, since seeing your character get more powerful is kind of a staple.

I'm going to qualify this by saying that I could be wrong 'cos i, uh, kind of forgot about the defense boost entirely on the second go and stumbled into it? But I've played through the game twice and never found a damage boost, so seems like no.

I sorta wonder if the explosives and boomerangs were meant to be the closest thing to attack boosts in the game? I mean, they're given to you for Metroidvania Reasons but they also do more damage even if they're kinda wonky and have a recharge time, so.

I had a bunch of :words: about other stuff but they're coming out kind of jumbled so i'm going to get some food in me and edit them in later. :v:

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I was really glad to see this LP; I spent $5 on this game hoping for Transgender Megaman. All of the "one eyed monsters" and vague mushroom enemies made me think the end-boss would be some kind of space man or intergalactic phallus monster. I found the Satan ending funny because the solution to all the women's problems was literally to wake up the largest penis metaphor they could find and let it solve everything.

What a hosed up game.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Ningyou posted:

So I guess I should explain that toiletmonster thing i keep coming back to.

2. In the weird little scene in the spooooooky washroom where the shapeshifter-toilet swallows Ceyda whole and then things reset because if this isn't foreshadowing that then what the hell's the point of the entire scene? It's completely disconnected from everything otherwise!

3. oh my GOD you are way the hell overthinking this game about pink-haired animes and rogue fast-food mascots gone half-dictatorial and this is a thing that shows up nowhere, it was just written into the end because the writer's thinking maybe five minutes ahead at any given moment and who's going to give a poo poo about what story reason we toss out for why annie mcmurderanime is eating the cryptofascist hamburglar

Like, my sort of half-theory is that it's #2? which is immensely funny to me because i mean 'I WAS SWALLOWED BY THIS EVIL TOILET BUT I ATE IT BACK AND GAINED ITS POWER and then i ate the rest of the illuminati, this is how i can defeat you' is pret~ty ridiculous. But I could be completely wrong.

The solution, of course, is to replay the game without getting eaten by the toilet and see if the ending changes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you for this LP - I bought this game some months back while it was on sale and enjoyed playing it despite the jank and the story up until I hit the jail and just didn't have time for bullshit insta-fail stealth sequences anymore. (I may or may not have also bought Mark of the Ninja around this time, which utterly blows this game out of the water in terms of fun.) So I left Aerannis installed 'cause I thought I'd finish it someday when I was really bored or something, but now - no! I don't have to! I've uninstalled it and I'm free to stare in disbelief at how offensive that Satan ending is.

"People are unable to realize the truth of reality because the Illuminati have kept him asleep," is really, really disturbing, especially when there's the (unintentional?) gender thing thrown in - woman as a whole are blind until a man can set them free, and that's just skeevy as hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
For the record, the correct thing to do with the stealth sections is lock your HP value with Cheat Engine. The way those work is being "seen" triggers an instant kill, but if your HP suddenly turns non-zero after taking that "hit", you're just in regular gameplay again and no longer need to give a gently caress.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you for this LP - I bought this game some months back while it was on sale and enjoyed playing it despite the jank and the story up until I hit the jail and just didn't have time for bullshit insta-fail stealth sequences anymore. (I may or may not have also bought Mark of the Ninja around this time, which utterly blows this game out of the water in terms of fun.) So I left Aerannis installed 'cause I thought I'd finish it someday when I was really bored or something, but now - no! I don't have to! I've uninstalled it and I'm free to stare in disbelief at how offensive that Satan ending is.

"People are unable to realize the truth of reality because the Illuminati have kept him asleep," is really, really disturbing, especially when there's the (unintentional?) gender thing thrown in - woman as a whole are blind until a man can set them free, and that's just skeevy as hell.

Like our pal, our chum, our bff bargain bin beelzebub, i sacrifice myself so that the let's play subforum's eyes may be opened. this means 'you're welcome'

And yeah, Mark of the Ninja is a markedly better game even if there's something kinda goofy to me about THE HESSIANS!!!1! after watching Sleepy Hollow.

kafziel posted:

The solution, of course, is to replay the game without getting eaten by the toilet and see if the ending changes.
Ehhhhh, it doesn't.

After looking back at the Planina Tower sequence again, I kinda came to the conclusion that it probably tried to possess her there (and the bathroom scene was probably either just some random thing or a super hamhanded metaphor for trans lady bathroom fears) and I was probably just being kind of an idiot earlier. :v: It was a fun theory while it lasted, though. :sigh:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Thank you for suffering in the name of LP. I had completely forgotten this game existed and only remembered the early pixel portraits getting excitedly passed around when this was still in early development.

Then VJ happened and I no longer heard anything about it for obvious reasons. :v: It's almost funny how fast this game went from maximum hype to dead to us in queer gaming circles.

Good to know it was never worth the hype.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I started playing Subbania. So far it fills out the bare bones of what a Metroidvania should be. There's a map, hidden powerups, bosses, some "come back here with the right item later" moments... and that's basically all I'm getting out of it. I'm not getting why the crew HAD to be Nazis--aside from some Swastikas, they don't say or do anything Nazi-like so far. I've only just now gotten past the second boss, so maybe things change, but the Nazi angle seems like a cheap way to inject edginess. Then again, ham-handed narratives seem to be Ektomarch's forte.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I finished Subbania. I feel like it actually makes the Satan ending of Aerannis make less sense.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

So I kind of lost the last few days, hi.

TerraGoetia posted:

I finished Subbania. I feel like it actually makes the Satan ending of Aerannis make less sense.
That's...frankly kinda impressive.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
So, was this game a success? Is the studio working on a third game in the trilogy?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

kafziel posted:

So, was this game a success? Is the studio working on a third game in the trilogy?

I mean, define success? It made some money, but it was pretty niche to begin with and considering how the finished product ended up and how hard it alienated its biggest potential audience I don't think it's going to be seared into everyone's memory for years to come or anything. :v:

The dev's making a third game though, yeah. Apparently in this one you play as baby President Feminism and it's about the latex blob illuminati's ascent to power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ningyou posted:

you play as baby President Feminism

This sounds like a Three Word Phrase strip.

• Locked thread