Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What do you guys prefer, deploying with our Rhino in the mountains and fighting our way through tau and orks and getting Skitarii to help us, or stealthily dropping onto the airfield, then getting the Rhino whenever we can find a safe spot for the Thunderhawk to touch down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's just go in on foot and make it an infantry fight. We have metal storm, we don't have antitank.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Viva Miriya posted:

The Thunderhawk is not equipped to perform such an act and you guys do not have the requisite rigging knowledge to prepare a Razorback for such an insertion. Also its a metal box sized target which is alot easier to hit with weapons that matter than you, the individual power armoured Astartes. The closest thing you can do is a rolling start where the Thunderhawk comes in low and fast, takes a shitton of anti aircraft fire (risking being shot down), and deploy you guys onto the runway at speed. You'll have to take Operate (Surface) checks at a -20 to prevent from flipping over because even the fastest a Razorback can go won't be fast enough to ensure a seamless transition from IN THE AIR to OH poo poo ON THE GROUND SUDDENLY. Failure means the Razorback flips and you get to enjoy your very first car crash. The Kill Team Leader is going to have to convince the Pilot that such a insertion is viable and won't get his bird shot down. The Space Marine can be replaced so long as the geneseed is recovered, the thunderhawk is a lot more valuable.

This sounds like the shortest Deathwatch campaign ever and the group would almost certainly earn a place in FFG's supplement that's never coming out called The Emperor's Worst. Admittedly, it would be hilarious to play as the follow-up group sent to investigate how and why they hosed up so badly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

wiegieman posted:

Let's just go in on foot and make it an infantry fight. We have metal storm, we don't have antitank.

We do have at least one marine with a Lascannon and although the Razorback is most certainly not a dedicated Anti-tank platform, its Twin-Linked Lascannon has to count for something, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

To be honest I don't even know why we're considering option 2 when option 1 has us jumping out of the sky and likely landing on top of orks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wiegieman posted:

To be honest I don't even know why we're considering option 2 when option 1 has us jumping out of the sky and likely landing on top of orks.

Jumping into the nova cannon emplacements is likely our best option from an ongoing sanity perspective. Can't let those get up and running, and "setting the atmosphere on fire" seems like a bad thing. Get the guns and ammo stockpile in the mountains secured and handed over to the mentioned imperial forces. Maybe one of the cannons is even functional enough to shoot at the ork encampments :v:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The biggest issue you'll run into is the radiation (hence why we wanted the Razorback in the first place). The longer we're you're exposed, the more likely you'll succumb to radiation poisoning. Granted, a Space Marine's superhuman physiology renders them much more capable of enduring radiation poisoning than unaltered humans, but it may wind up being a concern. Or not. All depends on how things shake out, I guess.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

We're in airtight power armor though. Atmospheres are for people who aren't wearing a tank.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

wiegieman posted:

We're in airtight power armor though. Atmospheres are for people who aren't wearing a tank.

Power armor definitely helps with regards to the poison (and does make you immune to it), but doesn't make you immune to the radiation.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 22, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'd take a 20% chance of 1 toughness damage every hour for not having to grind up a pass in a razorback that we can use later. I just think the paradrop is a better option, we'll have to dismount to fight anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
You all are crazy. Razorbacks are cool and good. We should land the fucker, pick up some ad mech help, and shoot our way into the ork camp. We'll be so badass the warboss will come out to challenge us.

And then we melt his face with the razorback's lascannons.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Werix posted:

You all are crazy. Razorbacks are cool and good. We should land the fucker, pick up some ad mech help, and shoot our way into the ork camp. We'll be so badass the warboss will come out to challenge us.

I second this notion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LuiCypher posted:

I second this notion.

I'm in. And voting dinosaur + glory for the other questions

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Werix posted:

:yeah:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

As—I think?—Squad Leader I'm for this now.
And yeah, we'll see if we could get Skitarii riding top like the guys riding on your tank's treads in Halo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Even Orks could hit them if they did that, which means we should floor it and fire wildly in all directions as befitting the surroundings.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
A few could squeeze in with us.
"You're okay, get in!"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Considering it's Skitarii, they probably just connect their legs to the tank directly and become mounted turrets.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

We have an Iron Hands apothecary; we have the technology, we can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, with a 360 degree firing arc.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I just wanna say as the GM: I'm so happy with my approach so far. Give objective, a few potential avenues of approach and let you nerds figure it out.

Werix posted:

You know, you don't have to drop into the ORK CAMP right this second. You can divert to Outpost Aleph and go do some social poo poo to get the Admech on your side before the drop. Its the first day and you can wait for nightfall if you choose.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Just a general message I'm gonna be putting out. Game updates will be within a Friday/Saturday window depending on how long it takes me to take my notes and such for that week/do my reading etc. If I miss the window for an update, assume that the next update will be the following week. If I believe I will miss that window or have already done so I'll post in this thread with what's the hold up. Games will not be dying just COLLEGE takes priority over EVERYTHING for me. Thanks for being my players in this I appreciate yall.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Actually I'll add one note for this game in particular. Since my last info dump on August 22nd you guys have seemed to have forgotten the game or at least forgotten to roleplay poo poo out and are instead apparently waiting on me to push things forward/decide things for you. If my impression is erroneous no harm no foul, I'm ok with being wrong. Here's what I want you to know anyway. If you guys don't start roleplaying out this thing and come to a decision the only decision I will be making next update will be whether or not to end this game with a nova cannon test fire vaporizing you or having the DEFF SKWADRON make an appearance, shoot your thunderhawk down, and end it on a slightly cooler note. Whether I'm posting an update or an epilogue next Friday depends entirely on your posting so get to it.

edit: apparently this came across a bit more hostile than I intended, my fault not actually mad but ya I need yall to post because i got poo poo TO DO™

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 3, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I think we all just came to the conclusion of 'Let's take the Razorback' simultaneously but forgot to communicate this out loud after one of us mentioned it and were expecting things to move forward via the Razorback route.

Roleplaying is cool and good though - I've added my two cents!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Just a general message I'm gonna be putting out. Game updates will be within a Friday/Saturday window depending on how long it takes me to take my notes and such for that week/do my reading etc. If I miss the window for an update, assume that the next update will be the following week. If I believe I will miss that window or have already done so I'll post in this thread with what's the hold up. Games will not be dying just COLLEGE takes priority over EVERYTHING for me. Thanks for being my players in this I appreciate yall.

This rule still applies but I feel like it should be worth noting the why: I'm playing catch-up learning Russian and its a motherfucker. I have a Spanish class at 1 and I'm flat out going in to talk to the professor, find out a better way to reach out to her other than her campus email which she obviously doesn't check, what i missed the first day, and what I'm about to miss when I walk out the door because sorry lady I need the 4 hours to play catch-up. You guys are the last on the docket to get an update, probably by Saturday but more likely Sunday. If push comes to shove and I need to devote more time to my studies you guys will get kicked to the front of the queue next week. I do have a sneak peek for what I'm thinking. I'm thinking you will have a high speed insertion, tracks spinning as the Thunderhawk flies low into a mountain pass, releases the razorback and you hit the ground running. The sounds of massive artillery shells from the ork camp will be heard whistling through the air as they smash into Imperial and Tau positions alike, not very accurately but when each round is a megakannon round it doesn't much matter. I might change that theme but for sure the first part stays.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can the Tau speak Russian and the Orks or Skitarii speak Spanish.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I still need more time to get caught up on my school poo poo. Sorry guys! Thread not dead but it will keep getting pushed back till I'm caught up with all my poo poo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

So turns out after meeting with the veterans services academic advisor, that even this lady couldn't figure out a way to avoid me taking triple language courses in multiple semesters. Some things gotta give so sorry Russian Minor you gotta go, dasvidanya. Good news for all of you is, since I'm no longer operating in a state of near-constant borderline panic/high stress to GET CAUGHT THE gently caress UP I can actually redevote time to you guys and still stay on top of my work. Sunday Night I'll update for yall.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Good luck on your coming linguistic adventures

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I don't know if I want to keep this going, might be my mood today as last night didn't end on the best note but ya. Consider this one another dead game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

poo poo happens, you can always pick a PBP back up.

• Locked thread