Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney Princesses & Upcoming Film "Moana"

This thread is to discuss the Disney Princess films and merchandise line, as well as other films* which are applicable to this phenomenon (to an extent). This is a little separate from the Animation thread, as it's only partially about animation; I'd like the thread to also be considering the role of the "Disney Princess" concept in modern culture, and the ways it has changed over time. Are Disney Princesses an obsolete notion? What makes a Disney Princess film a "princess" film, aside from a female protagonist? What is the logic behind why some characters are Princesses and others are not? What are the effects of this marketing juggernaut on children, male and female? Who is your favorite Disney princess and is that reflective of your personal values or the values of your community? Has Disney co-opted a rich tradition of oral fairytales, essentially forcing out alternative interpretations, to the point that even more "faithful" adaptations are considered intrinsically second-rate? Why do certain princesses have male villains and others have female villains, and what point is being made by that decision in that film? Ultimately, what are Disney Princess films communicating to us?

*e.g. The Swan Princess, Anastasia, Shrek

First things first, here they are:

These are the official Princesses. Yes, it's very much an official title. Here we see, in order:
Jasmine (Aladdin), Rapunzel (Tangled), Snow White (Snow White & The Seven Dwarves), Mulan (Mulan), Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Cinderella (Cinderella), Pocahontas (Pocahontas), Tiana (Princess & The Frog), Belle (Beauty and the Beast) Ariel (The Little Mermaid), and Merida (Brave)

Esmeralda used to be included, but was removed in 2005. Tinker Bell was an original member of the line-up but was phased out. Alice was also seen on some earlier merchandise, but was removed. Currently, only Mulan is not either royal or married to a royal (or royal equivalent, e.g. sultan's daughter), so they've really clamped down on that qualification. Despite actually being princesses, Kida (from Atlantis), Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron), and Nala (Lion King) have never been included, and the official daughters of princesses (themselves princesses) have never been included (e.g. Melody, Ariel's daughter). Giselle, from Enchanted, was also excluded despite fitting the Disney Princess model to a T. Sofia the First and associated princess Elana will probably stay in the TV-verse and never join the franchise as such. As far as I can tell, Megara and Maid Marian were never included. Moana is speculated to join once her film is released. Although...

Perhaps most amazingly, Anna and Elsa, from Frozen, have not been made part of the official line-up yet. They'll probably do a promotion when they add them; at present, Frozen merchandise is still moving in its own right.

Here is some general info/patterns about the princesses (where, unless stated otherwise, I am going for the official princesses plus Anna and Elsa, under the speculation that they'll join when cynical marketing forces allow it):

Release order: Snow White (1937), Cinderella (1950), Sleeping Beauty (1959), The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), Pocahontas (1995), Mulan (1998), Princess and the Frog (2009), Tangled (2011), Brave (2012), Frozen (2013), Moana (2016)
*Sleeping Beauty almost bankrupted the studio, and you can see afterwards there was a hug gap before they released any more princess-oriented films (unless you count The Black Cauldron, and even then)

Female Villains: Rapunzel (Goethel), Snow White (Wicked Queen), Aurora (Maleficent), Cinderella (Tremaine), Ariel (Ursula)
    Male Villains: Jasmine (Jafar), Mulan (Shan Yu), Pocahontas (Ratcliffe), Tiana (Facilier), Merida (evil bear sort of), Anna & Elsa (Hans), Belle (Gaston)
*Moana's villain is not established

Ostensible ethnicity/presumed-locality by release date:
    Snow White: White/"Germany" (where "Germany" as such did not exist at this time)
    Cinderella: White/Unclear (usually argued between England and France)
    Sleeping Beauty: White/Unclear (usually argued between England, "Germany", and France)
    The Little Mermaid: White/Unclear (usually argued to be Denmark)
    Beauty and the Beast: White/France ("After all miss, this is France!")
    Aladdin: Middle-eastern/Deliberately Not A Real Place (but heavily inspired by Iran/Iraq)
    Pocahontas: Native American/Future Virginia
    Mulan: Chinese/China
    Princess and the Frog: African-American/New Orleans
    Brave: White/Scotland
    Frozen: White/Scandinavia
    Moana: Pacific Islander/Pacific Islands

The excluded princesses, just for fun:

The Black Cauldron: White/"Prydain" (deliberately Welsh-inspired, but it's certainly not Wales per se, comes from specific book)
    The Lion King: Lion/Africa (not Asiatic lions!)
    Atlantis: Atlantean/Atlantis
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Roma/France
    Alice in Wonderland: White/British
    Hercules: Greek/Greece
    Sofia: Hispanic/don't know enough to tell you
    Elana: Hispanic/don't know
    Enchanted: White/Deliberately Generic Fantasyland slash new york city
    Peter Pan: White/"Neverland" but only seems to contact London also she's a huge jerk in this film

Anyway, let's name their associated princes, just for fun:

Snow White: Prince Ferdinand (but not stated in-film)
    Cinderella: Prince Charming
    Sleeping Beauty: Prince Phillip
    The Little Mermaid: Prince Eric
    Beauty & The Beast: Prince Adam (but not stated in-film, though stated in crappy sequels)
    Aladdin: Aladdin
    Mulan: General Sheng
    Princess and the Frog: Prince Naveen
    Tangled: Eugene Fitzherbert
    Brave: n/a
    Frozen: Kristoff
    Moana: ostensibly Maui, but we don't really know this

You can see that they used to all be princes, but now it's more likely that the male romantic lead will not actually be the princess' meal ticket. Aladdin, Eugene, and Kristoff in particular are of substantially lower social status than the princesses that they marry. More and more, it seems that the nature of the male romantic interest is thematically important, in some cases more important than the villain. For example, the conflict between Mulan and Sheng is far more nuanced and given more gravity than that between Mulan and Shan Yu. Certainly in Frozen, the entire notion of the prince as a villain was significant (though that was somewhat laid down with Beauty and the Beast, where Gaston fit many of the parameters of the traditional Prince, e.g. being the man of highest prestige and influence in the town).

Hair colors:
    Blonde: Rapunzel*, Aurora, Cinderella, Elsa
    Redhead: Ariel, Merida, Anna
    Black: Jasmine, Snow White, Mulan, Pocahontas, Tiana, Moana
    Brown: Belle
*Rapunzel's hair is brown at the end of her film, but is kept long and blonde in merchandise. This is fairly common (e.g. Beast merchandise is Prince Adam as the, well, beast), except in the case of Ariel who is in merchandise with legs. Human legs!

Eye colors:

• Brown: Belle (hazel), Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, Tiana, Snow White, Brown
  • Blue: Ariel, Aurora, Cinderella, Merida, Anna, Elsa
  • Green: Rapunzel
So, contrary to popular supposition, the commonest Disney Princess eye color is brown, and the commonest hair color is black. (Ariel's eyes are a little green-tinged, but not enough to shift the numbers. Esmeralda is of course the Disney woman with the most aggressively green eyes, given that it's her namesake). If we remove the non-white Princesses, the commonest hair color becomes blonde, and the commonest eye color is blue. Since the merchandise tends to feature the white Disney Princesses (to the extent that I don't think I've ever seen a non-white Princess front-and-center) it's therefore not surprising that the "archetypal" Princess is perceived as someone with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Ready to feel gross? Princess ages!

*Anna is 18, and Elsa is 21. Elsa is therefore the first Disney Princess (to be) who is over 20.

Disney musicals, where Disney princess films are often musicals, usually try to include what's called an "I WANT" song, where the protagonist literally sings the thing that they want, so we know what that thing is. Here are the I WANT songs of the Disney Princess films.

Snow White:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0niwn2pOEno
"Someday My Prince Will Come": Snow White wants a prince to come and marry her.

Cinderella:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIssqHQJ6o
"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes": Someday Cinderella's dream (of not being treated like poo poo) will come true.

Sleeping Beauty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbHShUnwxY
"Once Upon a Dream": She'll be reunited with the man she has fallen in love with and they'll be together.

The Little Mermaid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BZp2dxpwF8
"Part of Your World": She'll be reunited with the man she has fallen in love with :siren: on land! :siren: and they'll be together.

Beauty & The Beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8Sk-xd7vw
"Belle (Reprise)": Belle responds to the villagers singing about her, essentially answering their "why is she such as weirdo?" question with "because gently caress you guys". In a way, this is the first I WANT song which both is and isn't fulfilled. She does get adventure, in that she meets Beast. And yeah I'm generally going to call him Beast.

... however, is that the kind of "adventure" she meant? It's more like meeting a guy (a cool guy, I don't think it's a Stockholm Syndrome movie, I think the romance is fine, but she does marry him and settle down there and all) and then having another guy you knew getting sooooooo mad about it and then they break down a door, people get scalded, it's a whole thing.

Aladdin:
I'd argue she doesn't really get one, A Whole New World is more similar to the songs that usually come after the I WANT song. And it's really not her movie, it's his.

Mulan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_BtlAw4trg
"Reflections": Mulan wants to be acknowledged as the person she truly is and not the person she feels society expects her to be.

Princess & The Frog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdAYTH5QSY
"Almost There": She wants the GOD DAMNED restaurant she's been working for, and she wants it to be loving great. A later song in this film chastises her for being single-minded about it, but it's unfair considering the circumstances.

Tangled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je4nDvNJXsg
"When Will My Life Begin": Even though she doesn't recognize the role her "mother" has in keeping her captive yet, Rapunzel yearns for her freedom from the tower and to engage in the outside world. This is thematically represented by her journey to see the lanterns, but it's bigger than that.

Brave: n/a

Frozen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMN0Cfh-aQ
"For the First Time in Forever": Other songs also qualify as I WANT songs, to an extent, but I'd say this is the key one. Anna wants a chance to escape the confines of the complex, to have her own life, to meet her destiny, etc. And Elsa wants--at this point--to survive her short exposure to the outside world. Obviously this film plays around quite a bit with the stated desires and intentions of its protagonists.

Moana: Unknown

(Side note: The Hunchback of Notre Dame is rare in that it definitely has two separate and discrete I WANT songs from its protagonist, "Out There" and "Heaven's Light". The first is Quasimodo asking to be present/accepted in the outside world, even for a short time. The latter is him hoping for a relationship. He gets the former and not the latter, losing out to Phoebus, who doesn't even have a song. Interestingly, Esmeralda's I WANT song is explicitly "I want help for others in need, and do not need anything myself", which hasn't been echoed in any of the other I WANT songs.)

Oh, also this is a thing that gets mentioned vis a vis animated character families. Let's find out who's an orphan! Or who is just missing, like, one parent or whatever.

Orphans: Anna, Elsa, Snow White (retains stepmother), Cinderella (retains stepmother)
    Mother Alive, Father Dead: Tiana
    Father Alive, Mother Dead: Ariel, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Belle
    Two Entire Parents: Aurora, Merida, Rapunzel, Mulan

No Siblings: Snow White, Tiana, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Belle, Rapunzel, Mulan, Aurora
    Brothers: Merida
    Sisters: Ariel, Anna & Elsa, Cinderella (stepsisters)

Even in the context of crappy sequels, only Ariel ever had children, that being Melody from "Return to the Sea" which I haven't seen since I was very young and I still recall being terrible and weird.

Merchandise-Preferred Appearance:

Jasmine: Default (as opposed to, for example, her red "slave" outfit)
    Rapunzel: Default outfit, "original" hair.
    Snow White: Default
    Mulan: Default feminine outfit from early/late in the film, with long hair
    Aurora: Pink-phase birthday dress (sometimes blue phase, usually pink to balance out Cinderella, who she usually stands next to near the front) with tiara in hair
    Cinderella: Blue ball gown
    Tiana: Wedding dress
    Belle: Ball gown
    Ariel: On-land dress provided by Eric
    Merida: Default+ *
    Anna: Default sister-finding outfit from mid-film onward
    Elsa: Ice Queen outfit
*sprucing up Merida's outfit for the Princess line has been its own controversy, which I'll probably detail later. It's thematically important that her green dress is a semi-functional one

[more content to follow as I feel like it, including a rundown of the films that got Princesses and the films that didn't, thank you for joining me on my lunch break while I worry about things that no one really cares about :buddy: ]

I have Very Mixed Feelings about Disney princesses, but I think it's certainly interesting what we're doing with them and why they seem to have cultural leverage.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Parking spot for more info about sparkle women as necessary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah! This is the point of having included Moana in that title. I'm also going to make this my Moana Predictions thread. At present, we only really have a quick and not super informative trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA57P4D_M6g

From this, we know that at least one early prediction of mine is false. I thought Maui would not really be a god. In retrospect, that's a little too close to "Flynn Rider"="Eugene Fitzherbert". We can't have the guy being an identity-stealing shyster every single time. Oh, and we know Maui is at least a magical guy, not only because his tattoos move, but because he can turn into a bird. So he's definitely got some bona fide divine/magical powers.

I do think it's very possible that Maui will actually be and stay her love interest. The reasons are:

Disney's gotten a little "cynical" about its lead romances in the last few films. I figure that they think they've built up sufficient goodwill that the main couple can be straightforward in this instance. (A repeat of the whole Prince Hans angle would be a little odd coming on the heels of the still-popular Frozen.) Also, in the concept art for Tangled, Brave, and Frozen, it's clear that they've wanted to do an unusually-bodied man for the male romantic lead for a while. (For a while, Merida did express interest in the huge blonde guy, if I recall.) Ew, gross, not the princess though, she's still a model or whatever, but the guy, yeah sure that'd be rad.

Early Flynn Rider.

So I figure that Maui is going to be the guy to do it. (And no, Weird Brows, aka Prince Adam, does not count here.) I do not think that they will get married during the course of the film. (I think they've moved away from that, because it's an awkward closing and can't really be the climax any more.)

My suspicion is this is going to be the first "moving socially downward" film in this particular catalogue, that is, that Maui will end up having to sacrifice or renounce his powers to join Moana as a normal human. Of course, this would be a bit of a repeat of Hercules, but that's been a while and it's not one of Disney's most memorable films. (I am personally fond of it, but it's not considered one of their classics.) I suppose it's also similar to Princess and the Frog, except Naveen's been cut off since before the film begins--Tiana has nothing to do with it--and him showing his new can-do attitude to his parents is probably going to endear him, and may have redeemed him in their eyes. I also think that the creators might find the stepping-down approach a good idea, coming after Tangled (where both are WDAS, we'll ignore Pixar's Brave there). In Tangled, it's Rapunzel who loses her powers; in Moana, it could be Maui.

I think that Moana will have one parent, and it will be her father. They've done some rotation through the whole parent situation, so I don't think they want to go orphan again right away, but they may not feel the need to animate two whole parents. That said, when one parent is dead, it seems to usually be the mother. We'll see how it turns out.

My villain prediction is: a more powerful god, someone who makes Maui look like a scrub. Probably someone Maui couldn't beat with his god-powers, who Moana will defeat using whatever skills the film has been highlighting up to that point (almost certainly including smarts and something relating to sailing). Maui's reckoning will be admitting that he wasn't strong enough to defeat this villain. He may even try to prevent Moana from challenging this villain.

The villain will be voiced by someone talented who I personally feel Disney has been replying upon too much lately, e.g. Idris Elba.

If the villain is male, then there will be some other substantive female character to ensure that Moana is not the only plot-significant woman in the movie.

If there is no "villain" per se, then it will be Moana discovering that Maui did something bad for reasons which are either humiliating or well-intentioned but wrong, and she will explain to him the theme of the movie, which will be a rebuttal to whatever the thing was he did. He may be traveling with her to prevent her from uncovering whatever thing it was he did, and she will retrospectively realize he has been sabotaging her efforts along the way. It is also possible that there is a villain, and the villain is more of a minor figure who just happens to point out what Maui did and generally provide exposition as opposed to forwarding any particularly convincing villainy.

We will not encounter any non-Pacific-Islander humans.

There will be at least one cameo that pertains to Lilo & Stitch.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think as Moana is a hot babe, she should have a hot dude, and not someone who looks like they work in animation for a living.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm still mad that they took Alice out of the lineup because she's always been my favorite she's the coolest dammit

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm still mad that they took Alice out of the lineup because she's always been my favorite she's the coolest dammit

I do think it's a little odd to claim she wasn't popular enough, since the princess line exists to promote all the princess films simultaneously. It's been a way to bolster public opinion of the ones many people had stopped watching (eg Snow White, which honestly doesn't fit modern media sensibilities).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Whatever happened to Bianca anyway? Is Disney quietly ignoring her existence?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is Sleeping Beauty still one? She's my favorite to ask people about because people can never remember what her story was/immediately go to the Snow White story.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is Sleeping Beauty still one? She's my favorite to ask people about because people can never remember what her story was/immediately go to the Snow White story.

What? Of course she is. Her movie's a classic. She's pretty much a non-entity in it but Prince Phillip is cute and badass, Maleficent is an awesome villian and man that dragon fight!

Is Prince Phillip the only prince who actively kills the villain? I guess Prince Eric too...

Also how come Jane isn't in the lineup? Tarzan's a Lord!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

Whatever happened to Bianca anyway? Is Disney quietly ignoring her existence?

The animals don't become official Disney Princesses. Nala isn't one either, or Marian. It's a visual thing I suspect.

Jane probably isn't because her movie didn't inspire much nostalgia, and she's stylistically a bit out there, like Captain Amelia.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there another example of a "we got a new princess y'all " promotion like you say they'll do with Anna/Elsa? Straight-up popularity aside, I don't quite understand the logic of excluding them when you have, say, Rapunzel there or how making them Unofficial Princesses monetizes them more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is this why Alice was made a Princess of Heart in Kingdom Hearts? Knowing she used to be a Disney PrincessTM makes that make a little more sense.

Also does this mean there isn't a "Disney Prince" line up? I mean I don't exactly see the princes being marketed to boys so I figured this would be a Barbie and Ken kinda deal. I also say that because my sister had Aladdin and Jasmine Barbie-line dolls when we were growing up, and while it didn't have her slave outfit it did have her cool evening outfit or whatever that you see for 5 seconds at the end of the film :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Correct, "Disney Prince" is not an official designation or line the same way "Disney Princess" is (as distinguished from Disney princess, which is any princess in a Disney production, which technically excludes at least Mulan who is a Disney Princess but not a princess of Disney).

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Honestly I never really considered Alice a princess and more or less just a rich familys daughter who went on silly adventures.

I'm surprised Jane from Tarzan wasn't temporarily part of the line, then again her go to yellow dress makes her look to much like Belle :v:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
How come Hawkeye isn't a Disney princess?

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
Disney ought to take notes from DC and Marvel and start putting out some sick cross-overs.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
I would like to note that in the Captain Jake line, there is a Pirate Princess whose name eludes me.

Source: my son basically watches nothing but the Disney channel and YouTube videos. Thus he is a fan of princesses, dinosaurs, and the xenomorph.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
I remember when Disney bought Starwars, and people were making a fuss about Princess Leia becoming a Disney Princess.

Guess that did not happen then?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pick posted:

I do think it's a little odd to claim she wasn't popular enough, since the princess line exists to promote all the princess films simultaneously. It's been a way to bolster public opinion of the ones many people had stopped watching (eg Snow White, which honestly doesn't fit modern media sensibilities).

Could it be because she has a very strong link to a creator (Lewis Carroll)? Most of the other princess are basically fairy tale stories, or are so far removed from their creator that they seem like fairy tales (i.e. Ariel and Hans Christian Anderson)

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

eats-almonds posted:

Disney ought to take notes from DC and Marvel and start putting out some sick cross-overs.

Didn't they already do something like this with Frozen and Tangled? Also, there's that weird live action TV Show. I want to say it stars the children of all the princesses/heroes of disney movies?
Disney practically invented this shared universe marketing push, anyway. They just push it through the marketing instead of the stories. Like if Marvel only did solo movies, but made drat sure that all the associated merch was "compatible".

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Also, Marvel is Disney.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

eats-almonds posted:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why does the Hydra look so much worse than anything else in that picture?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Isn't Moana meant to be a child? Her VA is about 15 years old and Maui is voiced by the Rock, who's 44. Maui comes across as a lot older than her too, regardless of his VA's age - he's a mythological dude who's done a ton of stuff, he's built like a grown man. Moana is built like a small teenager. I really don't think there's gonna be a romance between them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

eats-almonds posted:

They're way ahead of you:

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
I don't see Maui as a love interest at all. I think Moana is going to remain single.

Also interesting to note that every recent Disney Princess is at least 18 (Tiana, Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa), probably because we recognise people as adults at a later age and a greater awareness of pedophilia. I'm certain that if say, The Little Mermaid was released today, Ariel would be at least 18 as well and there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints about her disobeying her father.

Qindarka fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oracle posted:

Is Prince Phillip the only prince who actively kills the villain? I guess Prince Eric too...

Jafar: Alive but enslaved at end of film
    Goethel: Dissolves into dust when spell is broken (therefore directly killed by Eugene, but by proxy and without his awareness that this was a potential effect--but as certain a weapon as if Rapunzel's hair were a gun)
    Snow White: Dead by lightning (confirmed in contemporary novelization to be dead)
    Shan Yu: Killed by Mulan
    Maleficent: Killed by the prince, Phillip
    Lady Tremaine: Alive and fine
    Governor Ratcliffe: Alive, and a blue-blood sent back to England to face justice for crimes against Native Americans (i.e. alive and fine)
    Facilier: Dragged to Hell due to inability to pay loans
    Gaston: Dead from fall (confirmed by skulls in pupils as he falls)
    Ursula: Killed by Prince Eric
    Evil Bear: Killed by Merida's mother
    Prince Hans: Alive, and a blue-blood sent back to his home country to face justice for crimes against white people (i.e. alive but in trouble)

So Phillip and Eric for sure, although only Eric does it "legitimately" in my book; Phillip's sword is directed by the stupid fairies because he cannot do loving anything himself. You could make the argument that Prince Adam does kill Gaston, but it's the result of a reflex action. Eugene does kill Goethel, but that wasn't his intention by that action, and he had no way of knowing that would be a consequence of his action.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there another example of a "we got a new princess y'all " promotion like you say they'll do with Anna/Elsa? Straight-up popularity aside, I don't quite understand the logic of excluding them when you have, say, Rapunzel there or how making them Unofficial Princesses monetizes them more.

They're currently moving merchandise independently of the Disney Princess franchise, so there's no need for them to be "teamed" with the other Princesses yet. They will probably make an event of adding them to the DP line proper, and that will give merchandise in the DP line a Frozen-related boost. Disney is patient about this stuff and loves to make "events" as gimmicks to sucker money out of people.

Pixeltendo posted:

Honestly I never really considered Alice a princess and more or less just a rich familys daughter who went on silly adventures.

I'm surprised Jane from Tarzan wasn't temporarily part of the line, then again her go to yellow dress makes her look to much like Belle :v:

I think that the similarity of Jane's outfit to Belle's ball gown was a legitimate factor. In fact, if Merida's dress weren't green, I don't think she'd be present. It adds visual variation cheaply. I wouldn't be surprised if she were eventually removed; her movie was not particularly well-received either, and I don't think it will manage "Classic" status. This isn't always a dealbreaker (e.g. Pocahontas), but it paints a target.

C. Everett Koop posted:

How come Hawkeye isn't a Disney princess?

Because Marvel movies are garbage except for Captain America 1 and maybe 2. Also if Captain America were real I would kiss him on the mouth and other places, he is gentle and charming and tries to do the right thing. Don't smarm him up! He is a treasure

eats-almonds posted:

They have! And not just Kingdom Hearts. In fact, the entire show Sofia the First is cynically designed to get very, very young girls into the Disney Princess line before the actual Disney Princess movies might even be appropriate (or enjoyable) for them. The Disney Princesses make cameos all the time, showing how nice they are to girls younger than them and how relatable they are. Hey, have you seen their movies? Have you seen them? The movie this princess on your show is from? You should ask your mom for that movie. It's out on DVD now. You should buy it. Get the Diamond edition. Ha ha, just kidding. Get the Ultimate edition, there are more Features.

Hodgepodge posted:

I would like to note that in the Captain Jake line, there is a Pirate Princess whose name eludes me.

Source: my son basically watches nothing but the Disney channel and YouTube videos. Thus he is a fan of princesses, dinosaurs, and the xenomorph.

There's also a Pirate Fairy in the Disney Fairies (Tinkerbell) series, which I've written about in the past. I actually think very highly of that series, for what it is, and may talk about it as my preferred alternative to the approach they've taken with the Disney Princesses (who are largely without flaws and rather inhuman) as opposed to the fairies (credible characterization, as with Tinkerbell herself, Fawn, and Vidia).

Eararaldor posted:

I remember when Disney bought Starwars, and people were making a fuss about Princess Leia becoming a Disney Princess.

Guess that did not happen then?

Mixed franchises. It's actually even weird that Merida is there, since she's not WDAS like the others. I would not be surprised if she were eventually removed.

Davros1 posted:

Could it be because she has a very strong link to a creator (Lewis Carroll)? Most of the other princess are basically fairy tale stories, or are so far removed from their creator that they seem like fairy tales (i.e. Ariel and Hans Christian Anderson)

I think it's mostly a function of her age. Sure, Snow White is only 14, but 1. they can't really remove her and 2. she doesn't really act like a 14-year-old (and she's not really presented as such). Alice behaves far more like a child, and her film sets her up that way. She also doesn't have a love interest, or have some other characteristics which would make her a fitting member of the line (e.g. a ball gown alternate form).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shanty posted:

Didn't they already do something like this with Frozen and Tangled? Also, there's that weird live action TV Show. I want to say it stars the children of all the princesses/heroes of disney movies?
Disney practically invented this shared universe marketing push, anyway. They just push it through the marketing instead of the stories. Like if Marvel only did solo movies, but made drat sure that all the associated merch was "compatible".

You're thinking of two distinct properties. There is the show Once Upon a Time, which features Disney Princesses in some weird soap opera garbage thing that I don't watch. (And yes, it's the DPs proper, they've got their Anna and their Elsa and their trolls and the whole bit.) The other, which features the children of villains, is The Descendants which is some other weird garbage I don't watch either.

Prior to that, there was also the House of Mouse (animated), which was a way to re-package older cartoons and have characters interact outside their respective universes.

Red Bones posted:

Isn't Moana meant to be a child? Her VA is about 15 years old and Maui is voiced by the Rock, who's 44. Maui comes across as a lot older than her too, regardless of his VA's age - he's a mythological dude who's done a ton of stuff, he's built like a grown man. Moana is built like a small teenager. I really don't think there's gonna be a romance between them.

I'd like to think that this actually matters but I am not convinced that's the case.

Qindarka posted:

Also interesting to note that every recent Disney Princess is at least 18 (Tiana, Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa), probably because we recognise people as adults at a later age and a greater awareness of pedophilia. I'm certain that if say, The Little Mermaid was released today, Ariel would be at least 18 as well and there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints about her disobeying her father.

I think another aspect is the greater acknowledgement of sexuality, just generally. That makes Aladdin the most uncomfortable in this respect, in my opinion, because Jasmine is hugely sexualized (example, her "slave" outfit) despite being 15. Fifteen! In some other films, even where the participants are older, such as Frozen (Anna being 18), it's suggested as the age they start dating. That's not so weird. In Tangled, they even make it explicit that Rapunzel and Eugene don't get married until years after (though it is the focus of the short film about them that followed). That said, creepy as the Jasmine situation is, Ariel does actually get married in the course of her film despite being 16.

I actually have a terrible memory for this, weirdly enough, so someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Snow White: not married in the course of the film, no wedding scene as such
    Cinderella: Ends with her wedding
    Sleeping Beauty: Not married in the course of the film
    The Little Mermaid: Ends with her married
    Beauty and the Beast: Not married in the course of the film (not wearing wedding ring at the end)
    Aladdin: Not married in the course of the film, married in DTV sequels ("They're finally gettin' married!" the big promo line for the film)
    Mulan: Not married in the course of the film, married in DTV sequel (as do all of Mulan's battle companions)
    Pocahontas: Not married, and without immediate prospects
    Princess and the Frog: Married at end of film
    Tangled: Not married, but we are informed she eventually does
    Brave: Not married, and without immediate prospects
    Frozen: Anna is not married, Elsa is not married and has no immediate prospects

So the wedded Princesses are Cinderella, Ariel, and Tiana. (Counting only non-sequels, if we include those then Jasmine, Mulan, and Rapunzel are also married.)

Of these, Ariel is 16, Cinderella is 19, and Tiana is 19. So it's weird that by far the youngest married Disney princess was from the "return" to Princess films in the late 1980s.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 20, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pick posted:

(e.g. a ball gown alternate form).
Alice, blinking red: Ha.. you think you've beaten me? This isn't even my final form!

Alice screams to the heavens, flexes her muscles, and, after a blinding white flash, is resplendent in a magnificent ball gown

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a massive tomboy so the princesses never really interested me much, but that said when I was a very little girl I thought Ariel and Odette were the tits. Odette counts right?! I absolutely loved Swan Princess because she called prince Derek out on liking her only for her looks, and this wasn't lost on 'lil me.

Also I predict Maui as a surrogate father rather than love interest.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

dog days are over posted:

This is exactly what the teaser I saw made it seem like.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

Alice, blinking red: Ha.. you think you've beaten me? This isn't even my final form!

Alice screams to the heavens, flexes her muscles, and, after a blinding white flash, is resplendent in a magnificent ball gown

That's what the mushrooms were for :v:.

dog days are over posted:

I'm a massive tomboy so the princesses never really interested me much, but that said when I was a very little girl I thought Ariel and Odette were the tits. Odette counts right?! I absolutely loved Swan Princess because she called prince Derek out on liking her only for her looks, and this wasn't lost on 'lil me.

I was also a massive tomboy! I wouldn't say I tended to like the Princess films better overall, there were ones I liked and ones I didn't. I didn't see the Swan Princess until I was a little older (directed by the man who went on to direct furry-bait wolfstravaganza Alpha and Omega) but Odette's not bad. I was really hot for that corn princess though, wowza!

quote:

That would be my preference, but again, I'm not totally convinced that they've moved that far from having a lead romance (especially when so many films, period, still do--if anything, a Disney film is going to show a more nuanced outcome than your average action flick). Then again, Tangled was pretty recent and that romance was pretty straightforward and also essentially really, really magnificently done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pick's Favorite Onion Stories about Disney:

People who know me well know I love The Onion, so I'm re-posting some of my favorite Onion stories involving Disney Princesses.

http://www.theonion.com/article/disney-unveils-first-virgin-princess-50774

quote:

LOS ANGELES—In an effort to better reflect the diverse backgrounds and experiences of their audience, Disney officials this week introduced Lily of Hazelberry, the company’s first virgin princess. “While our fans have long been enchanted by Belle, Ariel, and Elsa, we wanted to create a relatable princess for girls everywhere who are still virgins,” said Disney executive vice president Zenia Mucha, describing the only Disney princess who has never had sexual intercourse as a quirky, confident, and pure 14-year-old ascendant to the throne of the magical kingdom of Hazelberry. “All Disney princesses have extraordinary stories and inner qualities that make them wonderful and unique, but we’ve always lacked a heroine who hasn’t yet slept with her boyfriend or another male character. We are proud that Lily will finally provide a princess to look up to for the large demographic of young girls who, due to age, choice, or unavailability of sexual partners, have not yet experienced intercourse.” Disney representatives added that sexually active girls would also love Lily’s best friend, Princess Misty, who lives in a neighboring enchanted realm and just moved in with her slightly older boyfriend, Clint.

Disney Introduces First Hispanic Princess

Disney CEO Figures They’ve Built Up Enough Goodwill To Do A Real Sexist One

quote:

BURBANK, CA—Citing a groundswell of praise for such stereotype-bucking princess films as Frozen, Brave, and Tangled, Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger said Thursday his company has probably accumulated enough goodwill to make its next animated feature a real sexist one.

Though still unsure whether the forthcoming fairy-tale adventure would center on a helpless Dutch peasant who splits her time between domestic duties and pining for a rich man, a vain young princess who constantly preens in front of any reflective surface, or a curvaceous, long-lashed horse who inexplicably has rouged cheeks and eye shadow, top Disney officials agreed they are well positioned to sneak in an overly chauvinistic film that exploits antiquated female stereotypes for all they’re worth.

“We’ve had a pretty solid run of strong, independent heroines, so I think we’ve racked up enough cred to get back to what we do best and make a regular old damsel-in-distress picture with some real heavy themes about purity,” said Iger, surmising that after the studio’s recent streak of well-rounded female protagonists, audiences would surely let a “real dumb one” slide. “At this point, I think we’ll be fine if we slip in a movie with some blond girl who always combs her hair, sings sad songs about the man she’s longing for, and otherwise doesn’t say much. Or maybe she’s a foolish, overly emotional robin who is constantly patted on the head and kept in line by her knowing father.”

“Either way, she’ll only be able to titter coyly, weep, or fret,” Iger continued. “And she’ll definitely completely alter who she is to win the heart of her love interest. I’d say we can probably get away with that.”

Noting that critics have given them a tremendous amount of credit in recent years for creating female leads who are plucky, self-reliant, and get by on their wits, Iger said there will never be a better time to give the go-ahead to a screenplay that hinges on a passive young woman who does nothing but wait in place for a man to come validate her existence through marriage. The CEO also indicated that churning out a story in which all the female characters are either petty, naive, vapid, or love-crazy, and in which the lone voices of reason come from levelheaded male woodland creatures or paternalistic sorcerers, would be “a walk in the park” for his creative team.

According to Iger, Disney believes it now has the cultural cachet to make its most misogynist movie in years, perhaps by going back to a female lead whose life is empty, unfulfilling, and valueless until the moment she receives true love’s first kiss.

While the film has yet to be storyboarded, Iger added that it is a given that the heroine will be so helpless and unable to make decisions on her own that she will require the aid of small animals to guide her at critical moments.

“We’re still kicking around ideas, but I can tell you that if we dip back into the princess well, the main character will be thin, pretty, and white—that much we’re sure of,” said Iger, stressing that Disney’s executive board had given writers the green light to “revert to the basics” on this one. “We don’t have to do any of that Princess And The Frog garbage for a while. We did Pocahontas, we did Mulan, so we’re all set for diversity right now. Audiences can expect a real porcelain-skinned one with disproportionately large blue eyes and a waist so small it couldn’t possibly contain functioning organs.”

“And even though she’s supposed to be just 15 or something like that, we’ll definitely give her a full hourglass figure and a few skintight outfits,” he added. “We definitely have enough goodwill in the tank to pull that off.”

Executives confirmed that as long as Disney’s audience is willing to bear with them on this one, a completely sexist blockbuster could prove to be a huge boon for the media company, spawning a lucrative franchise that could extend to several sexist sequels and even a degrading Broadway musical adaptation.

However, Iger noted that the company’s merchandising department would be the primary beneficiary of the movie’s success. By implying to another generation of young girls that their principal value as individuals lies in being deferential, sexually desirable beings, the movie would help the company continue to cash in on its profitable line of princess-themed dolls, clothing, personal products, and video games, the CEO confided to reporters.

“Look, at the end of the day, we’re trying to move some product here,” Iger said. “No one asks for Mulan wearing shapeless warrior’s armor for Christmas. So we’re putting the next one in sparkly heels, a tiara, and a form-fitting dress slit to the thigh. End of story.”

And Clickhole favorite, Five Disney Princesses Reimagined as Caucasian.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Pick posted:

That would be my preference, but again, I'm not totally convinced that they've moved that far from having a lead romance (especially when so many films, period, still do--if anything, a Disney film is going to show a more nuanced outcome than your average action flick). Then again, Tangled was pretty recent and that romance was pretty straightforward and also essentially really, really magnificently done.

It is a little hard to grasp Moana's age when there's no other characters aside from Maui to compare her to design-wise, but considering she's voiced by a fifteen year old and the marketing material refers to her as a "young girl" I'd give Disney the benefit of the doubt on them not pushing a creepy underage marriage on the audience. They've been comfortable releasing films with a younger protagonist and no lead romance before: Alice in Wonderland, Lilo and Stitch, Brave (which explicitly rejects the concept), uh, Chicken Little? And Bolt, I guess, but I'm kind of grasping at straws now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How many Disney movies (Princess or otherwise, narrow it down as much as you like) are significantly about their relationship with their parents?

I would count Cinderella (step-parents are still parents) and possibly The Princess and the Frog even though her father's dead. In Aladdin Jasmine and the Sultan have an arc even if it isn't given much time to speak of. Belle comes back to town to save her father in Beauty and the Beast. What else?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

It is a little hard to grasp Moana's age when there's no other characters aside from Maui to compare her to design-wise, but considering she's voiced by a fifteen year old and the marketing material refers to her as a "young girl" I'd give Disney the benefit of the doubt on them not pushing a creepy underage marriage on the audience. They've been comfortable releasing films with a younger protagonist and no lead romance before: Alice in Wonderland, Lilo and Stitch, Brave (which explicitly rejects the concept), uh, Chicken Little? And Bolt, I guess, but I'm kind of grasping at straws now.

To be fair, I've been avoiding most of the advance-talk of Moana, aside from the trailers, so if they're explicitly referring to her as a "young girl" then I think it would be super weird to give her a love interest, at least to any strong extent. (That is, it wouldn't be that weird to give her one like Terrence in Tinker Bell, where she never dated him per se, but it was pretty clear that a "thing" was likely to develop. Not necessarily with Maui, but someone.)

Also, Lilo & Stitch did have Nani and her boyfriend David.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How many Disney movies (Princess or otherwise, narrow it down as much as you like) are significantly about their relationship with their parents?

I would count Cinderella (step-parents are still parents) and possibly The Princess and the Frog even though her father's dead. In Aladdin Jasmine and the Sultan have an arc even if it isn't given much time to speak of. Belle comes back to town to save her father in Beauty and the Beast. What else?

I would recommend the live-action Cinderella for this (and generally), as it's a much more interesting rendition than the animated one. It's the only live-action version I think it superior to the animated original, though it has its flaws.

I don't think the relationship with Jasmine and the Sultan is very well-realized, and it gets resolved too cleanly (much like the matter of Aladdin lying to her). Belle and her father don't seem to have any real conflict internal to their relationship; it's only assaulted from the outside by figures such as D'Arque. Princess and the Frog would probably be the strongest example, and it's made significant to her conflict with Facilier. Pocahontas qualifies also. Oh, ha ha, actually--Mulan! That's mostly what Mulan is about. Good movie, Mulan.

E: little mermaiddddd

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 20, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
you forgot to list Pocahontas's default merch appearance in the OP

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pick posted:

I would recommend the live-action Cinderella for this (and generally), as it's a much more interesting rendition than the animated one. It's the only live-action version I think it superior to the animated original, though it has its flaws.

I don't think the relationship with Jasmine and the Sultan is very well-realized, and it gets resolved too cleanly (much like the matter of Aladdin lying to her). Belle and her father don't seem to have any real conflict internal to their relationship; it's only assaulted from the outside by figures such as D'Arque. Princess and the Frog would probably be the strongest example, and it's made significant to her conflict with Facilier. Pocahontas qualifies also. Oh, ha ha, actually--Mulan! That's mostly what Mulan is about. Good movie, Mulan.

E: little mermaiddddd

Isn't this pretty must just what Brave is entirely about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's hard to keep track of my list on my phone :saddowns:

• Locked thread