Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

No matter, people will ship Maui with The Rock anyway, regardless of what state the characters end the film in.

fyp tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/07/25/sneak-peek-exclusive-moana-dwayne-johnson/87507818/

New information on Moana.

Voice cast:
Auli‘i Cravalho (Moana)
Rockman (Maui)
Temuera Morrison (Moana's father)
Nicole Scherzinger (Moana's living(!) mother)
Rachel House (Moana's granny)
Jemaine Clement (Evil Crab)
Alan Tudyk (Chicken)
An actual pig (Pig)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Giant enemy crab?! I didn't realize Moana was historical.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Pocahontas 2 includes a scene in a pub. The establishing pan across the patrons reveals a man who is displeased with the bubbles in his drink and angrily remarks "How much do I have to pay to get some good head around here?"

Thanks for reading

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Qindarka posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/07/25/sneak-peek-exclusive-moana-dwayne-johnson/87507818/

New information on Moana.

Voice cast:
Nicole Scherzinger (Moana's living(!) mother)

And I would guess is singing based on who was cast. But maybe she's a red herring like Idina Menzel in Enchanted.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

Pocahontas 2 includes a scene in a pub. The establishing pan across the patrons reveals a man who is displeased with the bubbles in his drink and angrily remarks "How much do I have to pay to get some good head around here?"

Thanks for reading

Home on the Range, which is in no way related to this discussion, has this exchange:

quote:

Buck: Don't embarrass me in front of my partner. Please!

Mrs. Calloway: You and he are partners? [laughs] So, how does that work exactly? I mean, do you get to ride him on odd days or even?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Pick posted:

Snow White: not married in the course of the film, no wedding scene as such
    Cinderella: Ends with her wedding
    Sleeping Beauty: Not married in the course of the film
    The Little Mermaid: Ends with her married
    Beauty and the Beast: Not married in the course of the film (not wearing wedding ring at the end)
    Aladdin: Not married in the course of the film, married in DTV sequels ("They're finally gettin' married!" the big promo line for the film)
    Mulan: Not married in the course of the film, married in DTV sequel (as do all of Mulan's battle companions)
    Pocahontas: Not married, and without immediate prospects
    Princess and the Frog: Married at end of film
    Tangled: Not married, but we are informed she eventually does
    Brave: Not married, and without immediate prospects
    Frozen: Anna is not married, Elsa is not married and has no immediate prospects

Just adding to this briefly - the reprise of "Someday My Prince Will Come" in the finale has wedding bells added to it, so it's heavily implied that there will be a marriage between Snow White and Mr. Flat Character. In retrospect, it's probably better that they didn't show the wedding. Every time I rewatch the film with adult eyes I'm struck at how young Snow White is (whereas she seemed impossibly mature to me when I was a kid).

I still have trouble believing that Jasmine is only 15 (and presumably turns 16 a day or so after the original film ends). Beyond the naivete she shows when she's exploring the market, she doesn't act or sound like a 15-year-old at all.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

when do any of the princesses act their age though? I used to wonder how the heck Pocahontas was supposed to be a teenager when I was younger, but watching it these days I've noticed a lot of her mannerisms seem more child/teenlike. How old is Belle supposed to be again?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
Belle's apparently supposed to be 17 (and she acts older than her age as well). Ariel and Merida sure as hell act aged 16 though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

when do any of the princesses act their age though? I used to wonder how the heck Pocahontas was supposed to be a teenager when I was younger, but watching it these days I've noticed a lot of her mannerisms seem more child/teenlike. How old is Belle supposed to be again?

They seem so without defined age that you have to wonder why they do define an age for them anyway. I guess because collectors and etc. demand to have the Princess stats. In my mind, Belle is always my age. I stand by this.

(Also, why is her dad completely grey if she's 17? How old was her drat mother?)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

(Also, why is her dad completely grey if she's 17? How old was her drat mother?)

Don't you remember? Maurice carved Belle out of wood.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So Belle's age. From what I can find, there's some behind the scenes that that isn't really officially canon on one of the DVDs that claims she's 17. It's never stated in the movie. But in New Fantasyland, in Belle's cottage, there's apparently a wall with a height chart written on the wall that goes up to her 18th birthday. I guess one of the animators also mentioned that Belle's age was " a few years older than ariel". As for Beast, we know Beast is 20 right up until he "dies" because that's when the last petal falls cause the enchantress posts on r/childfree wanted to punish an actual loving child for being rude to a strange old woman. So the age difference there doesn't come off nearly as weird

Either way, the movie itself never mentions her age, and nothing about Belle reads 17-18.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly I prefer the idea of beast-time as "lost" time, even if it means an age gap. Because yeah it's loving weird that they'd take an 11-year-old and be like "find true love, dumbass" because there are definitely guaranteed beast-years in there, which condemn the servants to be dancing forks and stuff for a while also. Except their time has to be "lost" time because are we presuming Chip was conceived as a cup? Has he never even BEEN a boy? When the end of the movie rolls around, has he lost his entire childhood to that? He'll be ten loving years old and he's never even taken a dump! It's going to be traumatizing!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
B&tB just does not hold up well logically when you scrutinize it. Like, where does all the castle's food come from? Sure, the Beast could have eaten wild animals for years, but they clearly cook food once Belle arrives. Who is delivering fresh supplies to the castle and how are they paid?

It's still one of the better made of the films, you just have to ignore a whole minefield of plot holes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a fantastic film, you just have to accept that certain aspects of it are a function of its status as a film and not, for example, a book.

Obviously Beast & Belle spend more time together than Belle's father spends getting back to the town.

The person the Enchantress is enchanting is definitely older than 11.

The servants obviously aren't experiencing time passing because the dog would be loving dead, and how does an ottoman even die.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

don't they kind of solve the age issue in the Christmas movie (oh god it was going to come up at some point)? I swear I remember one of Beast's flashbacks showing him as...like at least a 15 or 16 year old and talking poo poo about everyone's presents to him. That is the only thing I remember from that movie, outside of Belle looking for a yule log and Tim Curry playing an enchanted organ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

don't they kind of solve the age issue in the Christmas movie (oh god it was going to come up at some point)? I swear I remember one of Beast's flashbacks showing him as...like at least a 15 or 16 year old and talking poo poo about everyone's presents to him. That is the only thing I remember from that movie, outside of Belle looking for a yule log and Tim Curry playing an enchanted organ

Don't watch it again, it's loving terrible. And yes they show him as being very young and a big douche.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aces High posted:

That's one of those movies I pretend never existed, like Mulan 2

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

That's one of those movies I pretend never existed, like Mulan 2

Mulan 2 is offensive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Offensive is interesting. Which of those two is worse?

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Mulan 2 is offensive.

Could you review all of the DTV sequels?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pick probably wouldn't considering there's two DTV movies of the Brave little toaster :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Offensive is interesting. Which of those two is worse?

Mulan 2. Beauty & The Beast: The Enchanted Christmas is hokey and stupid, but it's not offensive. Mulan 2 is basically, "nevermind all that female empowerment stuff! Tra la la!"

Here's my reviews of the DTV films based on a list I found:

The Return of Jafar (1994) - Basically an episode of the TV show, so not "good" but watchable if you are expecting basically an extended pilot to that really nutty show.
Gargoyles the Movie: The Heroes Awaken (1995) - This actually is a pilot and it's SO GOOD because Gargoyles is loving fantastic, to this day. I stand by this.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996) - Essentially the same level of quality as Return of Jafar, if it had included Mozenrath, but it only didn't because his VA died. It's essentially an end to the show and should be seen in that light.
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (1997) - Cloying and badly-animated. Also, it makes Belle into Beast's cheerleader in a way that undercuts the point of the original film. Also it REALLY fucks up the timeline.
Belle's Magical World (1998) - All I remember is that Beast helps a bird. This was a package film made of scrapped TV episodes if I recall, it is loving terrible (except for finding animation cels of Beast looking really absurdly wonky).
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998) - *See note about Richard's birthday party and Wonder World fake aquariums.
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998) - Ha ha, I sort of like this one. I didn't realize it was so old! Zira is a great villain, and a few of the songs are singable. Everyone loves the zebra who is SO SCANDALIZED by Kovu's treason.
Hercules: Zero to Hero (1998) - Never seen it, I think it's another one of those TV series package films?
The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000) - Haven't seen it since it came out, even then only really did so to see what it was. (Garbage.) At this point the DTV sequels were pretty infamous but still had a certain novelty factor.
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure (2001) - Haven't seen it.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (2002) - Completely avoided it but technically own it because it came with the Blu-Ray of the original film.
Tarzan & Jane (2002) - This had George Carlin in it. It's completely forgettable.
101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (2003) - Haven't seen it.
Stitch! The Movie (2003) - I guess I own this, it's not the worst but it's very generic and doesn't really do anything interesting at all.
The Lion King 1½ (2004) - A lot of folk like this one, it's basically just gags. I find it boring, and like it less than the corny-as-hell Lion King 2.
Mulan II (2005) - The worst of the lot.
Tarzan II (2005) - Wait, maybe this is the one with George Carlin? I didn't realize they made 2 DTVs based off of Tarzan.
Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) - Waaaait, this is the Lilo and Stitch DTV one that I own, not Stitch! Oh my god I can't keep these titles straight. I own this one though, it was in a $2 used DVD bin, same with Slither (some good practical FX in Slither).
Kronk's New Groove (2005) - Came with ENG, it's lame but not offensive in any real way. No reason to exist.
Leroy & Stitch (2006) - Haven't seen it.
Brother Bear 2 (2006) - In this one the lady becomes a bear. It's entirely unnecessary but didn't make me angry.
Bambi II (2006) - I really enjoy this one! I think this is what the DTV versions should have been; they nailed it. It feels very "Bambi" but also has a strong theme and it's animated very nicely.
The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006) - Dumb, slightly more harmful than KNG and Jungle Book 2 because of weird class messages.
Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007) - I enjoy this one also! It's not as good as Bambi II, but it's fun and it's the closest they ever got to giving an ugly female lead a real shot. There are some good messages in this, and some good animation (and some hilarious animation).
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (2008) - It's fine, but I recall it having almost no theme whatsoever. It's like, hey, Ariel had sisters. She used to know a homosexual manatee, I guess.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks. So going by Cinderella 3 and Bambi 2, they might have been improving towards the end?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Qindarka posted:

Thanks. So going by Cinderella 3 and Bambi 2, they might have been improving towards the end?

I think there was a definite upward trend. By the end, I'd say it was unusual for the sequels to be outright bad versus boring and unnecessary. And the animation was MUCH better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osdok9HxV44

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

on top of "was actually pilot for tv show" the sequel for Atlantis, Milo's Return was split up into three different parts, so it actually was supposed to be the combination of three episodes of a planned series for it but...yeah

Also I think I posted about this in the main animation thread a long time ago but do not watch Hunchback 2. If you have any love for the original do yourself a favour and stay far away from it. The tv animation size budget takes the beautiful aesthetic from the film and just takes a massive poo poo all over everything. I used to think that movies like Fox and the Hound 2 or the Beauty and the Beast sequels were bad (and they are) but man, I have never watched a movie that has disgusted me as much as Hunchback 2

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pick, I have no idea how you ended up here since your interests seem so wildly at odds with the rest of us, but I love it. You're honestly one of the best posters in this forum, please never stop.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
Hunchback II is loving dire, but I highly recommend watching Belle's Magical World & Cinderella III for two entirely opposite reasons. Belle's Magical World is so amateurish (everything from animation key frames to new characters to line readings is a complete mess), I've laughed harder at it than I have at movies that are supposed to be funny. Cinderella III, on the other hand, actually builds on the original movie (instead of undermining it like so many of the other DTV films did) and is genuinely funny instead of unintentionally so. I also agree that Bambi II is pretty good, though its soundtrack doesn't quite work.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea Belle's Magical World existed and I can't stop loving laughing at this part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUETNL6N9sI&t=45s

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO EAT with me :smith:

Also Lady and the Tramp 2 is meh and the only thing I remember from it was the Junkyard Society Rag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbbj835hg54

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

The Lion King 1½ (2004) - A lot of folk like this one, it's basically just gags. I find it boring, and like it less than the corny-as-hell Lion King 2.

Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) - Waaaait, this is the Lilo and Stitch DTV one that I own, not Stitch! Oh my god I can't keep these titles straight. I own this one though, it was in a $2 used DVD bin, same with Slither (some good practical FX in Slither).

Kronk's New Groove (2005) - Came with ENG, it's lame but not offensive in any real way. No reason to exist.

Lion King 1½ is great, and I'll fight anyone on this. I'LL FIGHT ALL OF YOU

Stitch has a Glitch is actually pretty good! Animation wise it looks about as good as the original which is really impressive (especially considering how much the TV show butchers the style). The only issue I had with the movie was that Dakota Fanning needed to take it down several notches. She is TOO loud and bombastic as Lilo in comparison to the original.

Kronk's New Groove is a loving abomination and a stain upon the first movie and I'm offended that I not only had to read it just now but also type it out to make this post. I hate it. I hate it so much. gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Hunchback II is loving dire, but I highly recommend watching Belle's Magical World & Cinderella III for two entirely opposite reasons. Belle's Magical World is so amateurish (everything from animation key frames to new characters to line readings is a complete mess), I've laughed harder at it than I have at movies that are supposed to be funny. Cinderella III, on the other hand, actually builds on the original movie (instead of undermining it like so many of the other DTV films did) and is genuinely funny instead of unintentionally so. I also agree that Bambi II is pretty good, though its soundtrack doesn't quite work.

Yes, I'd say the oddest thing about the DTVs is how often they go completely against the original film (see: Mulan 2). It's like someone went, hmm, how do we distinguish our film from the original? What if it insinuates that the original was wrong and full of poo poo? It's very strange. You'd think they'd at least do the sitcom thing where they just re-tell the same story with slightly different trappings. (This is actually Jungle Book 2 and Brother Bear 2 as far as I'm concerned, they're just the same film a second time but with a lower budget. But I'll take that over Mulan 2 any day.)

Bambi II is not a retelling or a refutation, and neither is Cinderella III. That's a large part of why those two are my favorite of the DTVs. After that, probably Lion King 2. I mean, this is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAK-z47q76U

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well I mean, if you gave me a shoestring budget, a Disney IP, and didn't care about the results beyond it featuring merchandisable characters? There are more movies whose point I'd refute than there are that I'd want to repeat.

Just, Mulan isn't one of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

After that, probably Lion King 2. I mean, this is great:

See I think this is awful. I'm constantly surprised people say they don't like Lion King 1 1/2 but like Lion King 2. Make me down as one of the people that doesn't get it when it comes to LK2

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pick posted:

Mulan 2. Beauty & The Beast: The Enchanted Christmas is hokey and stupid, but it's not offensive. Mulan 2 is basically, "nevermind all that female empowerment stuff! Tra la la!"

Here's my reviews of the DTV films based on a list I found:

The Return of Jafar (1994) - Basically an episode of the TV show, so not "good" but watchable if you are expecting basically an extended pilot to that really nutty show.
Gargoyles the Movie: The Heroes Awaken (1995) - This actually is a pilot and it's SO GOOD because Gargoyles is loving fantastic, to this day. I stand by this.
Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996) - Essentially the same level of quality as Return of Jafar, if it had included Mozenrath, but it only didn't because his VA died. It's essentially an end to the show and should be seen in that light.
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (1997) - Cloying and badly-animated. Also, it makes Belle into Beast's cheerleader in a way that undercuts the point of the original film. Also it REALLY fucks up the timeline.
Belle's Magical World (1998) - All I remember is that Beast helps a bird. This was a package film made of scrapped TV episodes if I recall, it is loving terrible (except for finding animation cels of Beast looking really absurdly wonky).
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998) - *See note about Richard's birthday party and Wonder World fake aquariums.
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998) - Ha ha, I sort of like this one. I didn't realize it was so old! Zira is a great villain, and a few of the songs are singable. Everyone loves the zebra who is SO SCANDALIZED by Kovu's treason.
Hercules: Zero to Hero (1998) - Never seen it, I think it's another one of those TV series package films?
The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000) - Haven't seen it since it came out, even then only really did so to see what it was. (Garbage.) At this point the DTV sequels were pretty infamous but still had a certain novelty factor.
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure (2001) - Haven't seen it.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (2002) - Completely avoided it but technically own it because it came with the Blu-Ray of the original film.
Tarzan & Jane (2002) - This had George Carlin in it. It's completely forgettable.
101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (2003) - Haven't seen it.
Stitch! The Movie (2003) - I guess I own this, it's not the worst but it's very generic and doesn't really do anything interesting at all.
Mulan II (2005) - The worst of the lot.
Tarzan II (2005) - Wait, maybe this is the one with George Carlin? I didn't realize they made 2 DTVs based off of Tarzan.
Leroy & Stitch (2006) - Haven't seen it.
Brother Bear 2 (2006) - In this one the lady becomes a bear. It's entirely unnecessary but didn't make me angry.
Bambi II (2006) - I really enjoy this one! I think this is what the DTV versions should have been; they nailed it. It feels very "Bambi" but also has a strong theme and it's animated very nicely.
The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006) - Dumb, slightly more harmful than KNG and Jungle Book 2 because of weird class messages.
Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007) - I enjoy this one also! It's not as good as Bambi II, but it's fun and it's the closest they ever got to giving an ugly female lead a real shot. There are some good messages in this, and some good animation (and some hilarious animation).
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (2008) - It's fine, but I recall it having almost no theme whatsoever. It's like, hey, Ariel had sisters. She used to know a homosexual manatee, I guess.
Gargoyles count but Peter Pan return to neverland doesn't count as DTV?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Huh, I just went off the list, but looking at it, it's missing Jungle Book 2 also, even though I mentioned it by name? I can't really check from here but it might be missing others, I'll take a look when I get home.

Return to Neverland is pretty well-done, but I don't like the message--or at least, not how it's handled. I agree that kids need to be kids, but it opens with the girl trying to be responsible during the Blitz, which is a pretty loving good time to act like an adult.

However, it is extremely funny in a "what??" kind of way that the new Hook enemy is an octopus that is really good at taking his clothes off :stonk:.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pick posted:

Yes, I'd say the oddest thing about the DTVs is how often they go completely against the original film (see: Mulan 2). It's like someone went, hmm, how do we distinguish our film from the original? What if it insinuates that the original was wrong and full of poo poo? It's very strange.
I thusly expect Zootopia 2 to come out and say "actually, racism is good"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pick posted:

Huh, I just went off the list, but looking at it, it's missing Jungle Book 2 also, even though I mentioned it by name? I can't really check from here but it might be missing others, I'll take a look when I get home.

Return to Neverland and Jungle Book 2 both got theatrical releases while your list only had DTV stuff: a better list to go by would be DisneyToon Studio's output

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisneyToon_Studios

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

See I think this is awful. I'm constantly surprised people say they don't like Lion King 1 1/2 but like Lion King 2. Make me down as one of the people that doesn't get it when it comes to LK2

Yea this looks like a bad version of Scar's song, down to outright ripping off a lot of the shots and beats.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I remember all the ads for Lion King 1 1/2 and thinking "eh, I would probably enjoy Timon and Pumbaa antics, just like the cartoon" but I didn't see it until I was an adult and while I did appreciate what they were trying to go with (it being an adaptation of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead) but it didn't have anything like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Sx4W2cKlU

a real missed opportunity I found, but I did appreciate this gag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Pick posted:

Bambi II is not a retelling or a refutation, and neither is Cinderella III. That's a large part of why those two are my favorite of the DTVs. After that, probably Lion King 2. I mean, this is great:

Wait, Zira was played by Yubaba. How did I not notice that?

The German version of One Of Us is actually pretty cool is a cheesy sort of way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4h83rU8X4

• Locked thread